Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Add Reply
> 2009 Disney's The Princess And The Frog, Opinions, comments, fears?
Zhanneel
post Sep 12 2008, 4:51 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

There was an age, once upon a time, when Disney was classic. It ended pretty much with the 21st century. There is a possibility of it coming back however, with the advent of "The Princess and the Frog". For those not familiar with this new 2D Disney movie check it up on Wikipedia or just Google it.

It harbors Disney's first black princess. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Lots of problems:
However, much to the shame of this society, it's getting a huge amount of bad rep. Too many people are playing the "race" card and are attacking it at all points. Seriously people, grow up, stop acting like everything is against you, and just enjoy a good plot that will have a wonderful heroine as usual. Every classic Disney movie I have watched has done a fine job in making sure all characters are lovable (or understandably disliked) and have not done anything intentionally to harm the image of their character background. However, a lot of people are trying to condemn Disney's efforts, and would rather they keep anything and everything controversial out of the movie. However, the movie will no longer make sense for its time period--United States 1920's. The fact is there were controversial things happening back in the 20's. If you ignore that, and sweep those "bad things" under a rug then this country is just lying to itself. If they put something controversial in the movie deal with it, and most likely it will be dealt with by the end of the movie anyway. Some people actually objected to the fact that the heroine was black, but the prince will be white. Why the objections? If there are controversial race issues occuring what better way to overcome this than by having an interracial love story? Also, they've decided to change the heroine's occupation and name to better respect her as a black woman. Her occupation was a chambermaid, which was just a position many women had back then. And there was nothing wrong with the name "Maddy" before, but now they've renamed her to "Tiana" which is also nice...but I see no reason for the change. However, people had their reasons, which I didn't agree with--and no, not because I'm a white person. *huge sigh* It's all in your head. Generally: not many Chinese-Americans lashed out at Disney for making Mulan seem to sometimes be a scatterbrained woman. You don't see white people causing a raucous at the thought of Aurora or Snow White being rescued by men, and not being allowed to help themselves like self-righteous women should. Well...I'm not crazy about the damsel in distress thing, but then I don't have to name Snow White as one of my favorite movies either. And I don't recall anyone being upset about the Arabic Aladdin being a street-rat beggar, which is an occupation far worse than chambermaid. The point is those movies were labeled as being great and wonderful. And overall they won the hearts of everyone (except the minority who still choice to over-analyze good movies). I don't care what the character's name is, or what their position is: the only thing that really ever matters is their personality. And as far as I know, names and occupations are superficial. It's what you do and how you act that let people know who you are.

Is the US still living in the 20's? Well, with the way some people insist races are segregated it appears that way. I have no problem living with people of every color and making friends in every walk of life. But it seems there are a lot of people who can't let the past die and start again. Those people hold us back and cause us all to walk on egg shells. Generally speaking, nothing will ever be natural if we are constantly watching everything we do and say so we don't possibly upset the fragile web we've gotten ourselves into. I'd rather just be able to talk to anyone about anything and not have to rephrase what I say depending on who they are. That's ridiculous. And now the Disney movie is paying the price.

So that's my rant...for now =).
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post Sep 12 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Not to ignore your rant (I agree completely) but.... Holy crud! Princess and the Frog FINALLY gets a Disney-movie? It's my favorite fairy-tale!
That was my first reaction.
Zhanneel
post Sep 12 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

LOL, glad you're as excited as I am ^^

I just hope it's not a butchered mess by the time it is done. =(
dittadulla
post Sep 12 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

I'm really looking forward to it^^ finally they make a new 2D classic^^ and that is the fairy tale left^^

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Sep 12 2008, 6:20 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Not to go too off topic here, but here's a potential listing of the future line-up for Disney movies, and it kind of sucks because I don't see 2-D or musicals in their future at all anymore. "The Princess and the Frog" seems to be their last comeback for a while (or forever?):

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news...aid/7583/tcid/1

From that site I'm looking forward to the Rapunzel fairy tale, but mostly I'm anticipating "The Bow and the Bear" since it's in Scotland!! I love old English/Scottish/Irish stories and settings! Would truly prefer my beloved 2-D but I'll take what I can get at this point. Just make it like the old classic tales I loved when I was younger.

Update: Sweet!! If I'm not mistaken the heroine of "The Bow and the Bear" is the curly red-haired girl in this pic! Woot! She looks awesome, just how I'd want her pictured (wish I had red curly hair...), now if only they could keep it 2-D =).
winxclub-joy
post Sep 14 2008, 5:27 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

FInally ^-^

But we gotta wait till Dec 2009 T_T

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Sep 14 2008, 3:00 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

That is a long time....and it's about right because it seems the production crew is hitting a lot of bumps in the road (aka: people who argue with the plot and character write-ups). I can't wait since it's pretty much the last 2-D movie I'll most likely ever see again. I miss the visual styles of Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and the Little Mermaid =(.
winxclub-joy
post Sep 15 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

ya =(

--------------------
W.I.N.X
post Sep 28 2008, 7:59 AM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

And The Lion King! My favourite Disney movie ever!

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
Zhanneel
post Sep 28 2008, 9:30 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I'd definitely rank The Lion King up there with the three others I love. Best story lines and best animation. Oh, and throw in the superb songs and they are just the pinnacle of perfection, in my humble opinion ^^.
AnnieBelle
post Sep 29 2008, 2:10 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

Agreed with the post directly above.

Wait. 2009? The first time I heard about this movie, it was TIME for Kids magazine in 3rd grade. And now I [should be] in seventh, so...*adds it up* four years. Wow.
But yeah, seriously, I think it's gonna be awesome. And people are cranky about it being racist or something? Wow. If this movie had been made in the 80's, would it have been called this? {Seriously, a real question, I don't know, since I was, uh...-7 to -15 years old? As in, not even thought of?}

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Sep 29 2008, 3:01 AM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I have a feeling that if this movie was made in the 80's less people would be, so to speak, up its butt on stupid details like race, occupation, character names, etc. Only because I've seen a lot of controversial stuff made in the 80's, so I figure this wouldn't get much more than a raised eyebrow back then.

On the happy side of things, I found a nice pic (I think it's official) that I had forgotten to post a while back. It's a lovely pic of the heroine.

And then for anyone who was wondering what the title would look like, as of yet this is what they've got:

And quite unrelated but still awesome, a pic of Merida from the up and coming 2011 The Bear and the Bow:

I just think she is totally awesome looking! Anyone find any nice detailed pics of this movie let me know too =).
Music123
post Oct 3 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

I am excited!!!! Glad to have 2D disney finally back!!!!

--------------------

Credits to love and winx for siggy
Zhanneel
post Oct 4 2008, 2:00 AM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

That's exactly why I'm excited too ^^. I hope it's not their last 2D movie though. =(
W.I.N.X
post Oct 4 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

*hopes along with zhanneel* Please no more crappy movies/overrated teeny-bopper stars please. *Shudder* Hannah Montana.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
Zhanneel
post Nov 25 2008, 5:15 AM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Hey guys, we've got a trailer out now!

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessandthefrog/

And some concept art:

http://www.movietrailertalk.com/2008/08/th...ept-art-photos/

Jahnavi
post Nov 25 2008, 4:42 PM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

Thanks, Zhan-Zhan! ^^

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Zhanneel
post Nov 25 2008, 9:06 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

No problem =).

Did anyone look at the book the Princess is reading in the above picture? She's trying to figure out how to kiss a frog xP.
Ranma
post Jan 12 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

Reads the above posts...

The Little Mermaid will always be my personal favorite. I think it has the best music in my opinion...

As for the princess and the frog the trailer looked hilarious, so I can't wait to see it. That poor frog couldn't get the kiss in the trailer...T_T...

On a side note, I didn't know that frogs had lips either...

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Jan 12 2009, 4:09 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

And I always thought it humorous that Sebastian had brilliant white teeth (along wth the lips), hehe.

...and if a talking frog/amphibian/monster came up to me asking for a small kiss, there's no way I could refuse him that little request. Well, granted he's not carrying some disease =p.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:39 AM