Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> I Need Help On Deciding!, Only girls please!
Abby
post May 29 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Well here is my situation. I really want to get in shape. I am sick of not being able to wear the clothes I want to wear because my stomach isn't flat, and feeling bad about being around guys so I want to get in shape. I think I can possibly get a lot more in shape by doing cross country for my school team. But the thing is, I am not that into running in the first place, and it will take up a lot of time (and like I said, I'm not too fond of running) plus it is in the fall during Marching Band Season. But I really need to get in shape to make myself happier and possibly have a better self esteem (knowing that I can wear tank tops to band camp) but I don't want to make myself miserable by doing cross country and hating it since I'm not the best at running, and cross country is A LOT of running. (the coach wants to get the girls to 10 miles by August! I can barely do 1.5 miles now!) So I have no clue what to do. I want to be able to wear tank tops in the summer (all the ones that are sold here are skin tight and I refuse to wear tank tops if my stomach fat is coming out if it. Now understand I am not big, its just my stomach isn't flat like other girls and my thighs aren't as skinny. So I have no clue what to do, and its all even worse because I like a guy now and I just don't know what to do about it at all!
Go to the top of the page
Jahnavi
post May 30 2008, 4:37 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Well, first of all, no matter how you look, don't let that be a reason for losing self-esteem. Be happy with how you look no matter what other people or you think. That's the first step to looking better.

As for the tank-top problem, this suggestion may sound a little funny, but it's a perfect way to lose weight and have fun at the same time.
Try an exercise hoop. That's basically just a heavy hula hoop, but it's supposed to be a great way to exercise!

Here's some info. I found online:

Weighted hula hoops, available at most sporting goods stores, are bigger and heavier than traditional hula hoops. You can use weighted hula hoops as one component of an overall fitness program or simply as a fun way to burn calories. In general, the bigger you are, the bigger the hoop should be. The weight of the hoop is up to you. Lighter hoops require more energy to keep them going. Heavier hoops are easier to keep going, which may lead to a longer workout. How do you get started? Hold the hoop against your back, slightly above your waist. Put one foot ahead of the other. Then push the hoop around your waist, and shift your weight back and forth from one foot to the other to keep the hoop moving. You may want to avoid using weighted hula hoops if you have a history of back problems.

And here's a website you may want to check out for more info.:

http://www.heavyhoop.com/

So, good luck, and I hope my advice helped!

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Zhanneel
post May 30 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I hate running too. And power walks would be good...but I can see that they might take up more time as well. So hmm...the best thing I can think of is if you have a gym at school use it often (since after you graduate you'll probably have buy a gym membership outside of school and that can cost a few hundred dollars 0_o). I wish I had utilized my gym more. Now I'm kicking myself because YMCA memberships are ridiculously expensive =(. But what I was thinking of specifically was the elliptical machines, only because they seem to give the best overall workout, especially on your thighs, hamstrings, calves, and glutes =P. But they make you use your arms a little as well, so that way they aren't just stationary. You could make a schedule out of it too. Maybe stay after Mon, Wed, and Fri and workout for about 30 minutes and you're done for the day. If not the gym, maybe bike riding? I'm trying to think of things that don't cost money, so hopefully you have a bike already?

Also, and I know this doesn't solve your tank top problem, but there are different type of tank tops and maybe you just need one that suits you better. The original tank tops (not the spaghetti strapped tanks) are the ones I wear all the time, and they usually come in many different colors so you can still be colorful ^^. They make you look slimmer, leaner, and have the appearance of a longer torso. Here's an example of the tank top type I think you might look great in:

I hope you achieve your goal, and you can find something that fits your schedule =). (also I feel your pain with band camp, I was in marching band for four years x(. Good luck!)

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: May 30 2008, 4:08 PM
Abby
post May 30 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

thanks! I think I won't do cross country. We had the mile run test today in gym, and I am just not cut out for running. However maybe over this summer I will start doing more running or just bike riding (I don't have my own bike but I use my mom's) and my parents were going to be buying an exercise bike but they always buy one and end up not liking it. I do have a gym membership for my rec center but I hate that place since it is all old people there who don't clean off the machines when they are done. Any other suggestions on how to tone at least the stomach?
musaenchantixthe...
post May 30 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

abby don't worry. i don't have a flat stomach or skinny thighs. but i still wear tank tops.
don't let that lower you self esteem. remember nobody is perfect. everyone has probably with their body.
now about trying to tone down the tummy. i say excerise. don't force yourself into cross- country running. (i can barely do the 6 mile run for gym). riding bike is the best way and its fun.
you can also go to a park and walk. just walk around or run around. and enjoy the view.
i have lots of parks here with beautiful view of nature. there are so many ways and tunnels to go through the woods. its so much fun. even though sometimes we get lost >_< but its fun getting lost...
and take zhanneel advice. there are some tank tops that slim you down.
hope that help. and good luck trying to achieve your goal.

--------------------
Zhanneel
post May 31 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Along with bike riding (or if you can manage the rec center smell for about 30 min, the ellipticals), you could just do some ab crunches. There are many types you could do. I guess I would suggest do some normal crunches (straight back and forth), some that lean to the left, and some that lean to the right, to get the love handles as well =P. I actually don't do any crunches at all and focus completely on aerobic exercise (biking, but mostly the elliptical), and my stomach became toned down (not *quite* to the level I'd like, but that's my fault for eating junk sometimes =P) just because aerobic exercise tones your whole body. But crunches couldn't hurt at all. I'm just too lazy to do them =P. And biking through the park like METB said sounds great too =).
winxclub-joy
post May 31 2008, 1:50 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Running sucks, and I I hate to run 2.4km while there's a so-called physical exam including this. And sometimes I'm also afraid that the outfits I've wore, will leak out my stomach.
But the only way to get rid of your stomach is to "Exercise and have a proper diet! That's what I do and guess what? My tummy is half gone! ^-^
And as for running, oh gosh I just hate running. You may just train up during your free period, but don't get too over-worked! just 2 rounds on the track will do, but don't do until 24 miles! You will die from exhaustion! Slowly then, you will become a good runner, believe me ^-^

--------------------
Zhanneel
post May 31 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Total congrats Joy on your exercise success!
Abby
post Jun 5 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

I need help on deciding something else now. In scheduleing for next year, French 3 and A.P. US history is the same mod so I have to drop one of them since I can't have both classes the same mod (too bad I can't have a time switcher like Hermione in Harry Potter!) so I don't know what to drop! I mean I love history its my favorite subject and I have been told AP is a very very fun class! But I do like learning French and I need 3 years of it to get into good colleges and get an Honors degree when I graduate. But I hate the teacher, (another but coming up here) but I can take French 3 my Junior year (take a year off) but I would miss all the people I have had it with this year and last year (including one guy that I kinda like but its a weird emotion) so I don't know what to do. I told my counselor to drop french for now and if I change my mind I can call her, and I think that is the best thing to do, but how can I not miss it? HELP!
musaenchantixthe...
post Jun 6 2008, 8:31 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

i'm taking AP us history too next year. which is my junior year. i can't believe i'm a junior now... feels weird... ok
well i say take french 3. cause if you miss a year and go back you won't remember all of the stuff and can be confusing.
you can wait to take AP us history in your junior year.
(so are you a sophmore now right?)
but you choose whatever class you want. its your choice. hope i help. ^_^
we only need 2 years of a foreign language to get into a good college.
plus we aren't allow to take AP classes until junior and senior year.
your lucky!

--------------------
Abby
post Jun 8 2008, 2:13 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (musaenchantixthebest @ Jun 6 2008, 04:31 PM) *
i'm taking AP us history too next year. which is my junior year. i can't believe i'm a junior now... feels weird... ok
well i say take french 3. cause if you miss a year and go back you won't remember all of the stuff and can be confusing.
you can wait to take AP us history in your junior year.
(so are you a sophmore now right?)
but you choose whatever class you want. its your choice. hope i help. ^_^
we only need 2 years of a foreign language to get into a good college.
plus we aren't allow to take AP classes until junior and senior year.
your lucky!

I don't have time to take the AP though cause junior year I have to take American Government (AP or honors or regular) and senior year I intended on taking senior seminar and sociology. So I would have to take US history honors next year instead of AP. yeah I'm going to be a sophomore next school year.
musaenchantixthe...
post Jun 9 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

oh ok. hope it all works out
good luck in your sophmore year.

--------------------
Abby
post Jun 10 2008, 4:03 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

thanks! I just hope it isn't too hard with everything going on! But I do get to take pop culture and I have really wanted to take that class for a while!
musaenchantixthe...
post Jun 11 2008, 9:20 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

pop culture? never heard of a class like that.
sophmore year is ok. but i say junior year is the best. cause you don't feel new and you don't feel the pressure of being a senior. its in between.

--------------------
Abby
post Jun 12 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

true, I can't wait till then. Sophomore your still an underclassman. Pop Culture studies society basically like the fashions of the past and the songs etc.
musaenchantixthe...
post Jun 19 2008, 7:43 PM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy

oh ok.

--------------------

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 8:34 AM