11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Add Reply
> Which Fairy Is More Powerful!
MorriganAensland
post Aug 22 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #141

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

It's a good one. One of the reasons Rome fell was simply because it did over-exhert itself, with legions spread too thin and ranging from England to Spain to Germany to North Africa.

... So when Atilla the Hun came along, he pretty much crushed them. True, he balked away from taking over the empire for reasons we don't quite know, but he came pretty close and set the ball rolling for conquerers after him.

Honestly, though, we've got the redhead Mary Sue with a horrendously broken superpower, and her only real weakness is not having a good grasp of its powers. She's all but omnipotent, dammit, and not the *good* omnipotent like Shin Getter Robo's Getter Rays or Gurren-Lagann's Spiral power. I'd like it if she actually had some interesting weaknesses to her powers, because its weaknesses that make a protagonist intriguing.

Think about it. Would the Incredible Hulk be so famous if he had complete control over his power? Would Iron Many be so unique if it weren't for the fact he can't over-exhert his armor's power source or else he dies?

That's one reason why the quality of Superman flickers back and forth so much. He lacks any good weaknesses, so in the wrong hands, the stories get dull.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
Hirondelle
post Aug 22 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #142

Harmonix Fairy

Honestly, I'm not going into all of this because I don't have all the time to make up my mind about them, but I watched something recently that I found very interesting because it was a sound gun that was extremely powerful and extremely deadly.

It was created by Germany in I think WWII, I wish I really remembered how it works...but I think they said the sound waves would eventually disrupt a person and kill them. A man standing close to it would be dead in less than a minute. It was very interesting, yet very scary...I wish I could find more....

Anyway, I'm going with this because of Musa. At first I wasn't sure what all she could do other than shake things, but that'd be something pretty powerful if she could do that...though I don't think she would; too much risk involved. ^^; (I think they also said a person like a 100 miles away or so could suffer damage as well)

--------------------

Faedust Charms
P-girl
post Aug 22 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #143

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I dunno.... sounds plausible... but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't true, either..... I'm mailing Adam and Jamie for this one.
Zhanneel
post Aug 22 2008, 8:39 PM
Post #144

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I'd agree ^^. I still think Musa's powers could kick major booty. I'm telling you: tectonic plate action. Seriously =P.
MorriganAensland
post Aug 22 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #145

Cosmix Fairy

If Musa were smart, she'd simply make sound waves at a higher frequency than humans could pick up, but make them have subliminal messages. Instand mind control.

And she could have a cool sword like Fou does in B't X, where it doubles as a violin bow.

--------------------

P-girl
post Aug 23 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #146

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Not to mention what she could do with Sonar-like noises. (Hey, if a blind guy can do it in real life(After years of training, admittedly) it should be a breeze for her.) and how about the possibility of shattered eardrums? Simple, yet effective if you ask me.
Zhanneel
post Aug 23 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #147

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Basically if it can vibrate, she can damage it--a lot ^^
Abby
post Aug 23 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #148

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I think she would have the ability to possibly hypnotize too, maybe using her magic to play a certain tune on flute or any instrument.
MorriganAensland
post Aug 23 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #149

Cosmix Fairy

Abby, that's what I was talking about before. Except with music, simply make it sounds at a frequency high enough that we can't hear it, but we're still affected by it. Therefor, you have no early warning and therefor no defense.

Not to mention any sound-waves emitted in water go at 4 times their usual speed. They go through metal like 10 times faster than open air.

Most of the girls, if they really would've bothered developing strategies better than "point at the enemy and release a relatively generic attack", would be genuinely interesting.

--------------------

Hirondelle
post Aug 24 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #150

Harmonix Fairy

QUOTE (MorriganAensland @ Aug 23 2008, 03:05 PM) *
Most of the girls, if they really would've bothered developing strategies better than "point at the enemy and release a relatively generic attack", would be genuinely interesting.
I really wish they would quit that if they could. D: What was the point of them learning to work together to use convergence right when they're not specific anyway?

Man, to me, Musa's kinda been in the background for me like Tecna, but she's got a lot of potential. Shattering eardrums? Awhhhman.

--------------------

Faedust Charms
Jahnavi
post Aug 24 2008, 2:47 AM
Post #151

Cosmix Fairy

Well, if you look at their attacks with that, um... specific-ness (sorry can't think of a better adjective), all the girls have totally different and interesting attacks. But except for some of the convergence magic episodes, Straffi really hasn't gone into the depths of their powers.

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Music123
post Aug 24 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #152

Cosmix Fairy

Bloom is the most powerful but on the other hand...this show was mostly about Bloom (don't get me wrong I don't dislike Bloom). Maybye in season 4 it will be more about everyone than just Bloom

--------------------

Credits to love and winx for siggy
MorriganAensland
post Aug 25 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #153

Cosmix Fairy

That's not going to happen. It's NEVER going to happen.

--------------------

humbu111
post Aug 26 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #154

Cosmix Fairy

Ok, its not gonna focus on the other girls, it just might have Bloom not in the center as much, which is very possible considering how it gradually gave the others more and more space throughout the seasons, in my opinion.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Jahnavi
post Aug 26 2008, 2:16 AM
Post #155

Cosmix Fairy

Well, if you look at it from a more positive point of view, even though Bloom mostly has been the main center of attention, the focus has moved away from her from seasons one to three. In my opinion, the others did start to get more air-time by the time we got to season three.
Season one was almost totally Bloom-focused, I agree. But the second and third seasons did focus on the other girls quite a bit.

Here's how I see it:

Stella: There's Stella's whole Downland problem in season two, and then the Chimera-Cassandra controversy in season three. [And other than Bloom of course] Stella has definitely been one of the characters who's gotten more airtime on the show.

Flora: Okay, a lot of season two was based on Flora overcoming her shyness and talking to Helia, that's even how she earned her Charmix. So she clearly hasn't been over-looked in season two. And in season three, I liked how we got to see Flora's home realm and her sister.

Musa: Musa had a whole concert in season two, and she also ended up getting together with Riven. And in season three, we got to see another fairy from her home realm (Galatea).

Tecna: Hm, sadly, I can't think of very many episodes where Tecna got more air-time. I think her two main moments were when she got her Charmix and her Enchantix.

Layla: Okay, I don't even need to mention how much air-time Layla got in season two. The whole second season would be completely different if not for her. She got quite a bit of air-time in the third season as well, because of the whole 'Valtor invading her planet' thing.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to prove that even though Bloom has always been (and probably always will be) Straffi's main focus in the show, the other characters have gotten their share of the spotlight.

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
MorriganAensland
post Aug 26 2008, 2:53 AM
Post #156

Cosmix Fairy

That doesn't do it for me. Saint Seiya had a lot more balance for its main characters' screen time.

--------------------

Hirondelle
post Aug 26 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #157

Harmonix Fairy

Well, this is how Straffi does his show.

Something tells me he had planned a story like Blooms (where she found out she's a fairy with a heck of a past) and thought the longest and developed her first, then putting the show together he just gave her friends and that's where the others came from. I mean seriously, the original 4 are poster girls of their powers, even their names reflect their power. Aisha's different because as an additional character, over time things change for creators the longer they work in the series. Sadly enough, I think he shoved out the ideas out Stella, Flora, Musa and Tecna quickly to broaden the amount of characters. But of course they become characters of their own and they get their own fans like any shows characters. But luckily for them, and their fans, they're getting more airtime and recognition they deserve. I know they'll never get the spotlight off of Bloom, but who knows, the other girls have to adapt to living on Earth somehow. It's just like Bloom coming to Magix.

Nonetheless, I agree with Jahnavi's points. It's getting better for them and they did have their own problems to deal with in the seasons. All I can say for Tecna IS the Charmix and Enchantix. She was annoyed about how Timmy acted since she saw him give up and let the Trix go AND he wouldn't pay attention to just her rather their interest in computers; eventually she realized that he made a good hero and cared about her as well. and for the enchantix, she was missing...kinda opposite for the others personal stories, but she still got spotlight as they were trying to find her and were actually upset she was gone.

--------------------

Faedust Charms
MorriganAensland
post Aug 26 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #158

Cosmix Fairy

Still not enough for me. Saint Seiya all but blew my mind at the end of the Sanctuary arc of Saint Seiya for a single reason: the nature of the final fight.

To quickly preface, Saori -the reincarnation of Athena- is stuck with an arrow lodged in her heart, and will die in 12 hours. The Bronze Saints, Seiya, Shiryu, Hyoga, Shun, and Ikki have to fight their way past the Gold Saints and reach Pope Arles, the only person able to remove said arrow. Roughly 11 hours and X minutes later, we are in a position where the enemy Gold Saints are accounted for in one way or another, with Shiryu, Hyoga, and Shiryu on death's door after defeating the last three of them. Ikki, resident power-house and go-it-alone-guy of the group, is way back in the sixth of the twelve temples, technically stuck in another dimension.

Seiya finally reaches Arles, actually the Gemini Saint named Saga, who ends up having the ol' split personality problem. Saga beats Seiya left and right for much of the fight, but Seiya does manage to hit him back a bit and doesn't go down without a fight. Unfortunately, the force of Saga's attacks proves too much, and Seiya blacks out. Right as Saga goes to kill him, Ikki shows up. A great deal stronger than Seiya, Ikki manages to fight Saga to a perfect standstill. The anime and the manga diverge over what happens next; either Seiya recovers, saves Saori with magic shield (don't ask), and then the five Bronze Saints rid Saga of his evil nature; or Ikki finally slips up and gets himself killed, forcing Seiya get up again and manage to stun Saga enough to save Saori with said shield and exorcise Saga on his own.

This was a change of pace from other shows I watched, simply because Seiya, the main protagonist, genuinely fails miserably fighting Saga and it falls on someone else, albeit someone important to the plot and stated to be the strongest of the five heroes, to pick up the slack and trade blows with him. In the end, Seiya really only wins by a technicality, it's not even as if he tapped into the Power of Friendship (trademark) or anything during his fight. That being said, I rank it very high in regards to the end-of-arc fights I'm aware of, simply because it does something different, does it well, and is believable.

--------------------

Hirondelle
post Aug 27 2008, 3:25 AM
Post #159

Harmonix Fairy

That's all fine and everything but have you ever noticed, animes typically are more in depth than cartoons of other countries?
I don't mean to be rude, I'm just saying, I see that usually animes are written in a deeper level and usually are better with having diverse story arcs. I hardly ever expect much depth in shows of different countries, save for Avatar at least, and that one is even inspired by multiple Asian cultures including Japan.

--------------------

Faedust Charms
Zhanneel
post Aug 27 2008, 3:58 AM
Post #160

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Now Avatar is a western cartoon I can be very proud to call western ^^. (albeit it still has Asian animators and Asian influence, but the creators were American so that's something at least!)

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Add Reply
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 12:10 AM