Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Add Reply
> The Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu Form, Is your character a Mary-Sue?
winxclubrox23
post Sep 25 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Pffft. Hurt pride. Good one.

None of my characters are Sues. Except Carmina. But of couse, I've known that all along.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Go to the top of the page
Ranma
post Nov 9 2010, 3:19 AM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

I don't think having certain traits automatically makes a character a Mary Sue though. According to that logic there can be no fantasy at all. Vampires are out, Immortals, demons, etc... And as for royalty, it's the same thing. Just because my character (the one I used in the test) is an emperor, doesn't mean he's a Gary-Stu. I just wanted to tell the story from an emperor's point of view and made the character accordingly.

That, to me, is like saying, "You're character is a dentist? That's such a Gary-Stu!" or "Your character is a doctor! That's so Gary-Stu!"

For example, I'll use a character I didn't make.

Geralt, from "The Witcher" or "The Hexor," according to this test is a Gary-Stu. He has odd colored eyes, white hair, he's a demon hunter, he uses magic, and he's different from the other "witchers."

But I never once felt that he was Gary-Stuish when I read and watched his stories. (He stars in a video game, a novel, and a tv series)
He belongs to a group of demon hunters called "the witchers." He, like all witchers, was taken from his home at a young age. The elder witchers, to make him a witcher, mutated his body, and because of that process he got the strange eyes and white hair. Now, not all witchers have those eyes and hair, but it isn't strange, according to the story, that he would get those physical traits because of the mutation. The character, personality wise, is really down to earth and he feels really human. According to that list he's a giant Gary-Stu, but to me, and anyone else who knows his story, he is a unique and well made character.

This post has been edited by mightymarty2: Nov 9 2010, 8:27 AM
Reason for edit: video removed

--------------------
P-girl
post Nov 9 2010, 7:01 AM
Post #23

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I think, when it comes down to it, it's the feel a character gives the people and how likeable they are. Both things can't really be measured and pointed out with just facts.
winxclubrox23
post Nov 10 2010, 3:33 AM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Honestly though, if you actually think about it, there are in fact real people in this world that would most certainly be classified as Sues/Stus if put through this particular test. Any test, really.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Ranma
post Nov 12 2010, 4:58 AM
Post #25

Cosmix Fairy

Yep, I actually qualify for some of those things. For starters I have a scar...or two...

--------------------
P-girl
post Nov 12 2010, 6:54 AM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I have highlights.... and for a while, my hair was pink!
Ranma
post Jan 17 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #27

Cosmix Fairy

My parents, the ones who named me, liked the name they gave me. They were just setting me up for Gary Stue-dom!

This post has been edited by Ranma: Jan 17 2011, 7:25 PM

--------------------
Fortress Guy
post Jan 17 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #28

Harmonix Fairy

Group: Members

Having had writing experiences, I understand how easy it can be to get caught up in minor characters. Writing often requires discipline, be it in games, TV, movies, articles, short stories or novels.

This post has been edited by Fortress Guy: Jan 17 2011, 9:19 PM

--------------------

Fortress Guy's fortress of solitude.

Jem Huntik Korra season 1 Winx SE4 part II
Ranma
post Jan 18 2011, 6:37 AM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy

Haven't seen you in a while fortress guy. I actually have a lot of writing experience myself. Dreamer is actually a way for me to cut loose and take it easy. I was trying a new writing style when I first started it, and now I'm sticking to it as I try to alter that style. Some people like it, and others don't like it so much. Anyway, I'm in the middle of writing a video game script, and I've written two or three game scripts in the past. The one I'm working on is the largest I've done by far. It's also part of the reason why I haven't been on much lately.

--------------------

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 5:11 PM