Add Reply
> The Olympics
Zhanneel
post Aug 9 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Don't know who they are =p, just heard about them on my news channel last night. I should pay more attention to things happening in my city, lol.

I bet if you live in a big city you've got a lot of people from your home city in the Olympics =). Very cool!
Go to the top of the page
humbu111
post Aug 9 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I've got six from my city, half of them are on the field hockey team.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

earth123
post Aug 9 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #23

A True Fairy

Group: Members

Olympics are always special for Greeks, no matter were they are hosted. Being the birth-place of the Olympics, we are always hype for them. I am glad I saw my first, and only in my lifetime, home games in 2004. When the Greek team marched first in the stadium, we all jumped and cheered with our scarfs and flags. Funny though, the showed our exiled former king Constantine, now an IOC member, saluting the team instead of showing our political delagation. While this has raised commosion in Greece, I actually preferred it, rather than them showing our "dignity and honesty(as much as you saw it, I saw it icon_confused.gif??: )" politicians.

To actually feel the olympics, you should visit Olympia, about an hours drive from my place. That was were the ancient games were held. Last time I went there in 1994, they had the whole area with trash, but they renovated and cleaned it for the 2004 games. Actually, they hosted the weight-throwing events there, and it was a great scene and feeling, although I was in Athens at the time helping with the other events.

--------------------

SIKOSETO, TO TIMIMENO, THEN BORO, THEN BORO NA PERIMENO
Zhanneel
post Aug 9 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I really want to go to an Olympic event at least once in my life. The Greece Olympics would have been the best, no doubt ^^. Not to be corny, but it would have felt so "magical" being there in the birthplace of the games. But since I doubt that will happen again in my lifetime I'm willing to go anywhere =). Which is why I'd love to go for the Vancouver, Canada Olympics since that's a bit closer...but I'd still have to pay room and board where ever I stay. That will turn out to be too expensive, so that dream will probably stay a dream. Maybe for the future though.
Tecna 01
post Aug 10 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #25

Mythix Fairy

Yup.I know that Olympics is coming. But unluckily I dont have tv.

--------------------

Thanks ditta for making this awesome signature!
dittadulla
post Aug 10 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

okay... now the games are at night for us-.-

--------------------
esca Eterna
post Aug 10 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #27

Mythix Fairy

I know, Zhanneel, I want to go to an Olympic event sometime. But I doubt I will -.-
Well, I got really close, I guess. I was in Beijing earlier this summer, and saw the Olympic Village. So like, if ever there was some way to bend the fabric of time or something, I could technically be there at the games ^^

--------------------
♥
~ don't try to understand me, just love me ~

save me from losing it all
guide me through the darkest
catch me before I fall
but let me create myself

esca might be coming back soon, if her life decides to stop being really crazy ^^

Zhanneel
post Aug 11 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #28

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

That's still pretty awesome that you got to go to Beijing at all! I'm jealous ^^.

Looks like tonight it's gymnastics and diving: my favorites!! I love the sports that require you to contort your body into almost impossible shapes and twists, hence why I love these two! The Chinese are kicking major booty, as if we didn't know icon_wink.gif. But they so deserve it, they look awesome!
esca Eterna
post Aug 11 2008, 3:19 AM
Post #29

Mythix Fairy

That China trip was quite the experience :3
Oh I know, Zhanneel. I've always admired gymnasts (of like the 50 things I've always wanted to be at age 15 one is a gymnast) and I can't even dive off the side of a pool ^^

--------------------
♥
~ don't try to understand me, just love me ~

save me from losing it all
guide me through the darkest
catch me before I fall
but let me create myself

esca might be coming back soon, if her life decides to stop being really crazy ^^

Zhanneel
post Aug 11 2008, 4:19 AM
Post #30

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

The most I can do in diving is just let myself fall straight down into the water off the side of the pool. Any higher than that and I'll get vertigo =P.

In order to root for everyone's country on the forums, I'm going to attempt to name them all (based on current place of residence):

United States, Canada, Iceland (not sure I remember if they were in the parade...), Netherlands, England, France, Greece, Croatia, Russia, India, Singapore, Australia, Serbia

....oh, I know I'm forgetting some. The list looks a bit short. Anyone got a location to add? =)

Edit: Germany

Anywho, hope you're enjoying the Olympics!
humbu111
post Aug 11 2008, 2:54 PM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy

Whose from Serbia? Oh, and Germany!

This post has been edited by humbu111: Aug 11 2008, 2:55 PM

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Aug 11 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #32

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Someone named Reeza I saw on a thread an hour or so ago is from Serbia =). Added Germany, but I can't remember who's from Germany on the forums...
humbu111
post Aug 11 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #33

Cosmix Fairy

oh about Serbia, and I think *stella* is from Germany

--------------------

Abby
post Aug 11 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #34

Cosmix Fairy

I didn't see the opening ceremony since I was out of town the whole weekend, but last night once I got back I watched some of the swimming events and the gymnastics. All I have to say is go USA mens swimming team! I'm so glad they won against the French after the French teams comments. I also think the chinese gymnastics outfits were really pretty last night!
Zhanneel
post Aug 11 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Oh geez! I saw the men's relay last night. That's was so freaking close with the French! I felt really bad for the French men's team =(. I know they weren't saying such nice things about the US, but I almost wanted them to just have the spotlight for once against the US swimming. Either way, I was excited to see the US men win!

Later in the evening I remember watching the Russian gymnasts and thinking "gosh, their flips are so clean and straight" and then announcers said that those girls were just not in the same league as the Chinese and US gymnasts. I guess to me the Russian girls looked amazing and I thought they would possibly parallel the Chinese, but I'm not a judge so I must not be seeing what they see.

I really want to see the men's gymnastics too, but in the US they really only broadcast what they think Americans want to see. It's really biased. I'll probably have to catch it on the Olympics website.

QUOTE (Tecna 01 @ Aug 10 2008, 01:42 AM) *
Yup.I know that Olympics is coming. But unluckily I dont have tv.

I was thinking, since you have the internet (and maybe if it's a fast connection) you could watch some of the events on your computer. For the US we have nbcolympics.com which I'm sure you could use unless you have a better site you could watch them on. But that might be more of a hassle for you.
humbu111
post Aug 11 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #36

Cosmix Fairy

Well here in Canada they show mostly Canadians only, but I guess if none of the Canadians are competing at the moment, or its like the finals of something, than they play something else, like how they showed the entire America beating China in basketball game.
I heard there was some controversy in the mens gymnastics, like how there were judges of competing countries, so they gave the Canadian team low scores on purpose, making them finish 9th and not making it to the next round even though they deserved to.

--------------------

dittadulla
post Aug 11 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #37

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

I was looking at the mens gymnastic with the other eye while in the computer the day before yesterday... I didn't pay much attention... but there was a guy that nearly broke his neck while landing from a backflip... OUCH!

--------------------
AnnieBelle
post Aug 11 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #38

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

OK, wow. Yeah, during all the games I've been watching, I've been torn on who to root for, because there's a tooon of countries represented on this forum...-_-" Except for the people from STL. There's, like, 6, even though 1 is from East St. Louis, but that still counts even though it's Illinois.
@Zhanneel: Add the UK to the list!

--------------------
humbu111
post Aug 11 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #39

Cosmix Fairy

I almost said that too, Annie, but England is already there.

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Aug 12 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #40

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Holy crud, I don't know if other countries were broadcasting it, but did anyone watch the men's gymnastic finals yesterday, or early this morning depending upon where you live? It was a battle between China, Japan, and the US. It was so awesome to watch!! The Chinese were kicking butt! I think they were ahead by at least 7 points at the end, and then some slip-ups on the Pommel Horse (sp?) by the US caused Japan to pass them and take Silver, but the US still got Bronze. It was just crazy to watch! But so fun =). The Chinese so deserved Gold. There was even a cute story about how one of the Chinese gymnastics staged a mock athletic conference just so he could propose to his girlfriend. Hopefully I got that story right. It was really cute =).

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 8:19 PM