2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Add Reply
> Pokémon, Discuss the games here.
P-girl
post Apr 9 2010, 2:04 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Pokémon video games.... I gotta admit, I have a soft spot for them. At least the early ones. Red/Blue was very cool, the concept was new at the time, and a packrat like me was in love with the catch-em-all schtick. Gold/Silver blew me away. Added Pokémon, taking real timeday/night and days into account, not to mention it actually felt like a sequel, with Team Rocket trying to build itself up after being disbanded, and the possibility to actually defeat the hero of the first game(s), as well as returning to that area. Ruby/Sapphire.... is where it started to peter out. They were enjoyable, but this was the one where I got tired of the formula. It didn't help that they removed a lot of the nifty-ness of Gold/Silver (No more day/light, and your cell-phone was gone. That, in my eyes, was the dumbest thing. Having a cellphone on a long journey felt like such a logical thing to do, why scrap it?) Then came FireRed/LeafGreen. Their first remakes of older games. I liked it, and it sparked my hope that maybe, someday, they would do the same thing with my beloved Gold/Silver. Diamond/Pearl..... meh, haven't actively played them. By now I was getting tired of them. But was that, on the horizon...? Could it be.....?

OH HELL YES!

I'm not going to lie, this was probably the game I wanted most in my entire life. A remake of my all-time favorite handheld game? With added content? I was hyped up more then I ever was. And hoo boy did it deliver. I got it only two days ago (Legally, that's rare for my DS-purchases *Cough*) and for me it defines the word 'Rekindled love'. On one hand you follow the same story, but on the other, there are some very cool upgrades, besides the graphic. Like Yellow, you can have a Pokémon walk behind you, but unlike Yellow, you can pick the one (Talk about an incentives to get some legendaries) and there's the pokéwalker, a pretty nifty device. Basically, it's a step-counted to which you can send one of your Pokémon, and the steps you take give him experience. You can also collect items and get Pokémon on it. Pretty cool, if you ask me. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to collect some badges.

/fangirl gushing

So.... what are your opinions? What's your favorite 'Generation' of games?
Go to the top of the page
Kel03
post Apr 9 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #2

Enchantix Fairy

Group: Members

I've been playing Soul Silver for the last week and a half (I got it the day it was released here) and I totally agree with how they out did themselves this time, and made us pokemon fans more active too lol. I have also just heard they are releasing Pokemon Black and Pokemon White in Japan later this year (I don't know the date or anything else either) hopefully in the next couple of days we will hear what it's about.
mightymarty2
post Apr 9 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Well I hope to get the game maybe after my exams comming up, i was going to get diamond/pearl (it changed per day as I found one cheaper than the other and could not afford it) but never mind. I think crystal was the best. However with the new ones I got frustrated that all the pokemon I worked so hard to raise i could not use again

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
P-girl
post Apr 9 2010, 5:05 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Well, Diamond/Pearl had the 'Pal-park' which you could use to transfer Pokémon from the Gameboy advance games.... and with the remakes of Gold and Silver, that's another set of mons you can get easier.
Another Morning
post Apr 9 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

I want SS for my birthday =D

The next gen of games have been announced, too O: Pokemon Black and White!

http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/04/09/new-p...e-release-date/

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
P-girl
post Apr 9 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

They're running out of names, aren't they? I mean, they went from colors, to metals, to jewels, to..... shades.
Another Morning
post Apr 10 2010, 6:05 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

And plants and...fire. And body parts.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
P-girl
post Apr 10 2010, 8:36 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Ah well, they can easily turn this into light and darkness. That's probably what they were going for, anyway.
Another Morning
post Apr 10 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

Didn't they do something like that for the Pokemon Dungeon games?

Okay I just looked. It was Explorers of Darkness and Explorers of Time. And I'm not sure if the Dungeon/Ranger games count (I've never even actually played them).

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 11 2010, 7:39 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Oh well, they're just names. They shouldn't be THAT important.
Another Morning
post Apr 11 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, I'm not that hung up on it, it's just interesting ^^

I forgot where I saw it, but I've also seen a supposed magazine scan that has a picture of one of the new pokemon from the Black/White games. It looked kind of like an evil Vulpix.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 11 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

Well, if the names are anything to go by, it just might be. Nega-Vulpix or something.
Another Morning
post Apr 11 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

And the bad guys could be legit evil pokemon instead of a Team Whatever o.o

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 11 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

Well, it certainly has potential, with that whole 'Pokémon aren't evil, the people who use them are' angle they're trying to push in the franchise. I mean, the closest to a villainous Pokémon we ever had was Mewtwo, and he reformed at the end. *Gets nostalgic* Mewtwo kicked ***.....
Another Morning
post Apr 11 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

Those were the days. Back when if you didn't know the 151 in order, you weren't anything...

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 11 2010, 7:17 PM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy

And the villains actually meant something. The villainous Pokémon teams are a good example how bigger and spectacular isn't always better. I mean, I kinda liked Archie from Team Magma.... but nothing tops classy mob Boss Giovanni and his Persian.
Another Morning
post Apr 11 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

Giovanni was classy as all get out. I still remember being like "O: NO WAY" when you figure out that he's the Viridian Gym leader.

But yeah, back to the evil pokemon thing, I think it would make an interesting premise. I mean, I've kind of always thought that pokemon had a level of intelligence/sentience that fluxed between that of smarter real life animals up to human intelligence, depending on the type and individual 'mon, so the idea that ALL pokemon are just neutral and act how they are told is kind of weak. Just like humans, I'm sure there are SOME that are just genuinely bad.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 11 2010, 7:29 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

Not to mention it's heavily implied some of these creatures are even smarter then humans, most notably the psychic Pokémon. (I mean, despite it being face-palm worthy if you did the research, I once read that Alakazam has an IQ of FIVE-THOUSAND. Yeah. It doesn't work that way, but the point comes across: those creatures are eerily smart.)

Also, when the creatures got more ludicrously powerfull.... I couldn't be the only one hoping for some Lovecraftian-like cosmic horror popping up somewhere. I mean, we got the world's creator in Arceus, why not make a world's destroyer? (Bonus points if they use the puns for Ctuhlu, Fenrir or Ragnarok.) I mean, it can get kinda bleak, but hey, you've got villains who wanted to rewrite all of excistance.
Another Morning
post Apr 11 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

O: Oh man that would be epic. And just in general, diverting from the "Team Something wants to do EVIL!" would be a welcome change in plot.

--------------------

mightymarty2
post Apr 11 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Giovanni never got enough screen time he was not shadowy enough or open enough

Mewtwo was cool and had the evil persona down, but they made him

An evil vulpix could make sence as at one point pulling a ninetails tail could get you a 1000 year curse

Alakazam was suposed to be super smart

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 3:45 PM