Add Reply
> Super/real Robot Franchise Of The Week, A labor of love, for my beloved genre
Rating 5 V
MorriganAensland
post Jan 7 2010, 6:57 AM
Post #181

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

EDIT: Catching up NOW. Might as well at any rate.

Anyways, the first series I'm covering is Whirlwhind! Iron Leaguer, a series that began airing in April of 1993 and ran for 52 episodes.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

As you can see, this series is a little bit... different from most mecha series I've covered. Specifically, it's a sports-themed anime, but rather than sticking to just one sport or another, it tackles a whole bunch of them instead, and rather than have people on board, it has robots that actually specialize in specific sports even though the entire team would play the actual games.

Our hero this time is Mach Windy, a soccer-themed robot or "Leaguer" that is a member of the Dark Prince team. As the name would imply, Dark Prince's members usually cheat and break rules for the sake of winning games and tournaments, and eventually Mach gets fed up and leaves. But he instead, for various reasons, signs up with the Silver Prince team, infamous for being the lowest-ranking team in the circuits. You can obviously guess what's going to happen here; it's the staple underdog story of sports teams where the heroes face insurmountable odds to win.

Anyways, the usual Japanese conventions to a sports team story usually apply, often placing camaraderie and team spirit over winning important games, and admittedly this idea isn't as prevalent (or accepted) here across the Pacific. But at the same time, there are a lot of "small" victories, succeeding in defeating the pride of their more nefarious opponents when winning was unlikely. And since the series covers more than just one tournament, the Silver Prince team losing and being out of a competition isn't the end of the world.

Admittedly, this is more a sports anime than a mecha one, but it still has the robots and the final nail of the coffin was Iron Leaguer appearing in the most recent SRW game, Super Robot Wars NEO for the Wii. Tragically the only video up on youtube covers guys that don't appear to be Mach, but those are the breaks.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
MorriganAensland
post Jan 17 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #182

Cosmix Fairy

You know what really sucks? Having a computer that's completely crashed so you can't even get on it using safe mode.

You know what really sucks, to a degree that the previous thing's really minor? When that person keeps putting off updates because he's too obsessed with Super Robot Wars F Final. ANYWAYS!!!!

The first series by all rights I should have covered was the Wings of Rean. A while back, when I covered Aura Battler Dunbine, I made mention of the Wings of Rean, which was a light novel series that Tomino wrote during production of Dunbine and which took place in the same continuity. A few years ago he even came back to the story and remade it into a six-episode ONA series. ONAs are similar to OVAs, but while the latter are direct-to-video releases, ONAs are released online first, almost like a podcast. In recent years there have been a few series that have been released as ONAs, including Gundam SEED Stargazer which I'll review at a later date.

Anyways, the Wings of Rean is chronologically set before Dunbine, taking place during America's occupation of Japan following WWII. Our hero is a young Japanese man named Asap Suzuki (I am not making this up), who happens to be friends with a lot of people that absolutely detest the American presence in Japan. When his friends convince him to help out in raiding a joint Japan/US military base and stealing some weaponry, including an RPG, things go straight to hell when a gateway to Byston Well opens up.

It is then that Asap meets Princess Luxe Sakomizu, who has been aiding a resistance movement against her father, King Shinjirou. The titular Wings come in here as attachments to a pair of magic shoes that can open Aura Gates, pathways between Earth and Byston Well. And thus Asap begins his own adventures in Byston Well, having obtained the Nanajin from Shinjirou's forces and putting it to good use.

The series, similar to Dunbine itself, explored the themes such as the cycle of revenge. Asap's friends loathe the Americans for using atomic bombs, and we find out that Shinjirou himself was also from Earth, a would-be kamikaze bomber who was blasted into Byston Well by said atomic bombs. Seeing Japan under US influence is actually what drives Shinjirou's plans, which involve using nuclear weaponry himself to remove said influences from his homeland.

That being said, the story averts the mass killings that were present in Dunbine, and in fact Shinjirou dies a hero's death. This is due to the series also putting an emphasis on redemption, with both Asap's machine and Shinjirou's, the Oukaou, possessing butterfly wings.

The series hasn't been included in SRW yet, although like Dunbine was present in Another Century's Episode with the Nanajin and Oukaou as hidden units in the second game and a revised version of the story in the third.

Here's Asap with the Nanajin, helping out Yuu and Hime from another Tomino series, Brain Powerd.

The other series I owe everyone is Warring Demon God Goshogun, a 26-episode series that ran in 1981 and was somewhat of a comedy series and had a habit to not take itself that seriously. But I'll get to that in a moment.

Goshogun begins with a mysterious meteor striking the Earth and releasing the powerful Beamler Energy, the stand-in for the physics-raping energy source lots of Super Robots have. Using this energy, the world-famous scientist Professor Sanada creates the three-part Super Robot named Goshogun and also its floating, teleporting fotress, Good Thunder. A team is formed to pilot Goshogun, and for once, the brilliant scientist's son ISN'T part of the crew for it!

... At least not at first.

This is because Kenta Sanada, the previously-mentioned son, is actually a little kid. But by god, it's a convention in Super Robot anime and the directors aren't just going to forget something like that! So the story at first shows us how Kenta joins up with the inhabitants of Good Thunder, explaining how is father's genius with Beamler Energy attracts the evil Docooga crime syndicate. To see to it that Docooga doesn't find out, the professor kills himself, forcing the Docooga members to go after Kenta. However, at that point he's saved by the Goshogun team and he ends up being another pilot for it.

Now, as I said before, Goshogun *REALLY* didn't take itself seriously. The subordinates of NeoNeros, the leader of Docooga, all were kinda ridiculous and weren't entirely bad people, one of them in fact wanting to start fast food chains obvoiusly meant to parody McDonalds and KFC while another *HAD* a successful business selling tranquilizers. The series even included an enemy robot based off of the design of the original RX-78-2 Gundam for crying out loud!

Goshogun was never released in America as itself, instead getting combined with a lesser-known anime as Macron-1. The series ended up also getting a follow-up movie, Goshogun: The Time Etranger, which was pretty surrealistic and weird, although it was released in America as itself.

Anyways, Goshogun was first introdced into SRW in SRW EX, but never really was that important to the plot until Alpha 2, when they actually bothered to introduce NeoNeros. Until then, the three subordinate villains mainly did their own thing, occasionally setting aside their differences with you to help out with other enemies, like how their plot wraps up in SRW F Final.

Here's Goshogun in Alpha 3.

--------------------

MorriganAensland
post Feb 8 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #183

Cosmix Fairy

Damn I'm falling behind.

I guess the smartest thing to do now is do a little bit of recovering of bases since the SRW RP's started up Gundam SEED Destiny's events. But first I need to take care of another pre-Destiny mission for Shinn.

WARNING! WHAT FOLLOW IS BLATANT AND SHAMELESS CANON DEFILEMENT! IT GOES AGAINST THE ORIGINAL VISION OF THE SERIES AS DIRECTED BY MITSUO FUKUDA! AS SUCH IS IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER IN SPITE OF BEING WRITTEN BY AMATEURS WITH LITTLE IF ANY PLANNING! PLEASE DISREGARD THE EVENTS OF THE ANIME AS WE PROVIDE THIS MULTI-PART STORY AS IT DEVELOPS!

After the events of Orb, Shinn decided to enlist in the GDF, partly because he had nothing left in his life and partly because he didn't want to see anyone else go through the pain he did. As a result, he was assigned to pilot the Strike Gundam, the very Gundam he had idolized for so very long. During this period of time he managed to make a few friends and came to meet the former pilot of the Strike, Kira Yamato. Although their relationship had a rocky start due to Kira being involved with the death of Shinn's family, he nevertheless made his peace with him and understood that he could not solve his problems as Kira would.

Anyways, during his stay with the GDF, Shinn began to train to use the Strike Gundam to the best of his ability. And as the conflict between Blue Cosmos and ZAFT worsened, Shinn became aware of the other Gundam involved in the death of his parents, the black Gundam known as the Raider. Although not necessarily wanting to kill the pilot, Shinn still wished to meet him in battle to see what kind of person he was.

He finally got his chance at the second battle of Jachin Due, aka the final battle of Gundam SEED. While Kira and Athrun and everyone else were doing there thing, Shinn (and Lunamaria, using a rebuilt Aegis) ended up confronting the Raider Gundam. Unfortunately the battle was fairly one-sided, with the Aegis getting crippled quickly and the Strike being nearly demolished after the first exchange. It wasn't until Shinn was able to tap into his own SEED factor he managed to start to have the edge against the Gundam. However, before he could end it, Luna attempted to help by, repeating what Athrun did to the Strike when Kira piloted it, had it latch onto the Raider and self-destruct it. Through some twisted quirk of fate, the Raider survived the attack, although Shinn flew into a rage due to believe Luna to be dead.

A few moments later, Shinn damaged the Raider's reactor enough for the machine to explode, the Strike burning itself out in the process as Shinn was left seemingly utterly alone...

... Until Luna, who had miraculously survived, managed to get his cockpit open. Emotions running high from the battle, they ended up confessing their love for each other while Athrun and company finally killed Rau Le Creuset, stopped the giant superlaser, etc.

In the aftermath of the mission, Shinn convinced Luna to go and find her family while he stayed at the GDF. With ZAFT's military in shambles, the PLANT governing body requested GDF protection as well, and not too long afterwards Shinn decided to travel there to make sure the brutality of the open war between Coordinators and Naturals would never be repeated.

... Yeah, tl; dr, more canon raping. More updates to come.

--------------------

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 9:43 AM