6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Add Reply
> Winx Club Nationalities, Anything goes
earth123
post May 31 2008, 1:54 PM
Post #1

A True Fairy

Group: Members

Already in a thread in the tv.com forums, but this is independent from there. Lets try to distinguish from where exactly would the winx girls come from if they were from earth. By their names and apperances, lets figure out anything we can think. I know it doesn't have much relevance due to being from another world, but just to relate.

BLOOM - Red-headed caucasian, lover of pizza, wants to drive scooter at age of 16 - Italian or American(Americans can drive legaly at 16, Europeans at 18, bur many at 16 with small scooters, or behind the police eyes)
STELLA - Yellow haired caucasian, addicted to fashion, good taste, crazy-but caring personality, italian/Greek name - Italian
Flora - Brown haired hispanic, care for plants and other beings, soft voice, romance-language sounding name - Spanish or latin American (mostly Argentina)
Techna - Pink-haired caucasian, British accent, Asian-looking father(no idea why), serious attitude - British
Musa - dark-haired Asian, addicted to Music, wearing traditional Chinese dress - Chinese
Layla - African looking, loves swimming, dancing and sports dearly- African or Brazilian(i'll put my money there)

SKY - Yellow headed caucasian, strong accent, scandinavian looking - German or Swedish
Brandon - Brown haired caucasian, good-looking - Dutch or Danish or English
Timmy - orange haired caucasian, shy, tech-obsessive - Finnish(completely reminds me of Finnish guys I knew)
Riven - Red haired caucasian, keeping to himself, strong character, maverick - French
Helia - Dark-haired caucasian, poetry-loving, silent person, Greek sounding name - Greek or Balkan-country origin

I didn't use their personalities to indicate their citizenship, nor I say that it reflects the certain community. I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone here.

So, whats your opinions?

This post has been edited by earth123: May 31 2008, 2:02 PM

--------------------

SIKOSETO, TO TIMIMENO, THEN BORO, THEN BORO NA PERIMENO
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post May 31 2008, 2:15 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

My opinion? They're all aliens!

No, really. They're all from planets that are NOT Earth.

Bloom: Sparks/Domino
Layla: Tides/Andros
Stella: Solaria
Musa: Harmonic Nebula
Flora: Linphea, fifth moon of Marigold.
Tecna: 3rd Vector of the Binary galaxy

Sky: Eraklion
Brandon: Probably Eraklion to
Palladium: Athryell dimension.

These are from official sources, so it's fact that they're from these planets.
earth123
post May 31 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #3

A True Fairy

Probably so. However, I am mostly talking of races, and IF they were from earth.

Flora is shown that she comes from planet Nimphea, Musa from Planet Melody, and Techna from Planet Zenith, in the original Rai version.

Just for make it more weird, compare the names of the places of origin. I'll do the RAi version, since its the original:

Domino - Relates to place that is expected to react to events from neighbouring areas.
Solaria - Relates to the sun, particulary since it never rains there.
Melody - Straight forward, the place of music
Nimphea - A place with much Greenery and flowers. Alternitative, it can mean "bride".
Andros - This place really exist. A Greek island in the Aegean is really called Andros, meaning "Man" or "male".
Zenith - Relating to high advance technology, maybe came from the meaning "be above" the others. Many tech. industries use Zenith in their naming.
Eraklion - My best guess it that it derived from Heraklion or Iraklio, a Greek city in the Island of Crete, meaning place or Herakles, or mostly referring to coastal port cities
Omega - Being the last letter in the alphabet, I guess its the last place anyone wants to go.
athryell- Nothing original for it.

Seems Greek characters can't show up in the message box.

This post has been edited by earth123: May 31 2008, 3:01 PM

--------------------

RenaEnchantix
post May 31 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #4

Harmonix Fairy

Besides the fact that none of them are actually human that P-girl brought up, Iginio Straffi has said the people and nationalities he based the girls on. for the most part you're right. Bloom is American, as she is based off of Britney Spears. Layla/Aisha is African American, as she's based off of Beyonce. Musa is asian, since she's based off of...Lucy Liu I think? Flora is hispanic, she's based off of Jennifer Lopez. I don't think he's said who Tecna and Stella are based off of, they're probably just characters he thought up. Tecna's only "British" in the American version though, because 4Kids decided she would be. in all the other incarnations, she doesn't have a british accent, including the version aired in England. in that version she has a more American accent than the American version...which I find very funny.
earth123
post May 31 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #5

A True Fairy

QUOTE (RenaEnchantix @ May 31 2008, 10:58 PM) *
Besides the fact that none of them are actually human that P-girl brought up, Iginio Straffi has said the people and nationalities he based the girls on. for the most part you're right. Bloom is American, as she is based off of Britney Spears. Layla/Aisha is African American, as she's based off of Beyonce. Musa is asian, since she's based off of...Lucy Liu I think? Flora is hispanic, she's based off of Jennifer Lopez. I don't think he's said who Tecna and Stella are based off of, they're probably just characters he thought up. Tecna's only "British" in the American version though, because 4Kids decided she would be. in all the other incarnations, she doesn't have a british accent, including the version aired in England. in that version she has a more American accent than the American version...which I find very funny.

Good mention. However, i am really confused in this matter. Humans are a species, not neccesarily that they come from earth. They do mention boys and girls, women and men. Also, in the comic, they mention many times the concept of god, and mankind, although it also refers to the other personalities. I mean, look at it. If Palladium didn't have the pointy ears, you would think he was human, wouldn't you. Perhaphs, in the winx comic at least, it mentions them as humans, but of another type, like cats, snakes, sharks, who are of different types, but of the same species. I mean, take the winx. They are fairies only in winx form. out of it, they are simple human girl. i don't think Bloom would had survived on Earth, or remaned completely doctor-free, or got away with it if her metabolysm wasn't human.

Man, i am taking this way deep.

This post has been edited by earth123: May 31 2008, 3:15 PM

--------------------

Jahnavi
post May 31 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

The Winx girls are based on celebrities? I thought Iginio Straffi was more original than to have just based his characters on famous people.

Oh, and Flora's planet isn't Nimphea, it's Linphea.

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
earth123
post May 31 2008, 3:28 PM
Post #7

A True Fairy

opps. Sorry, my bad. Its supposed to be Linphea.

Linphea- nothing non-original for it either.

--------------------

AnnieBelle
post Jun 11 2008, 7:12 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I would say definitely Brazilian for Layla, there is even an article on the official site where she talks about samba.
Stella, I always thought more of Parisian...though Italian definitely works. But she would be from a city like Milan or Rome, one of the big famous ones.
Bloom? American. Her way of acting [in RAI English and in 4kids dub] reminds me a lot a lot of some of the girls in my school. {There's s'posed to be 2 a lots.}
I say Sky might be Swedish, just 'cause it makes me laugh.
That's all I have opinions for right now.

--------------------
LinneaKou
post Jun 11 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #9

Harmonix Fairy

I think it's kind of funny to both think of them as alien/non-Terrestrial humans AND contemporary teenage girls. It's like, "Faeries for the 21st Century!" I thought WinX was a joke at first when I saw the previews and went "are those Earth girls turning into faeries??" But THEN I found out that it takes place in another world...

wacko.gif

It was fun.

I think Bloom is without a doubt American with much Italian blood in her. It just kind of makes sense. I mean, if you watch the first episode (RAI version, I don't know about 4KIDS) the sign says "WELCOME TO GARDENIA" and most of the signs in the show (Episode three, the "SALE" sign) are in English. Kind of makes me wonder what Signor Straffi was thinking when he was working on the storyboards for the show...

Maybe Gardenia is like a Little Italy...?

This post has been edited by LinneaKou: Jun 11 2008, 12:49 PM

--------------------
Lii is on deviantART and Livejournal...

...still doesn't have a life
:P

~BORING SIGNATURE IS BORING~
Abby
post Jun 12 2008, 3:54 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

I think Musa is maybe half Chinese and half Caucasian. I just watched the episode with her father and mother in it, and from when her father was younger, I think he looks more Caucasian than Chinese, but her mother is definitely Chinese so maybe she is mixed???
humbu111
post Jun 13 2008, 1:54 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

i so agree with that about Musa
i also think Layla however looks a bit on the brown side tho, some characteristics of her just make me think that

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Zhanneel
post Jun 13 2008, 4:43 AM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

All I can say is poor Tecna is the lost child. Maybe in the 4kids version she is of British/United Kingdom decent, but since that contradicts with the Rai version *sniff* we don't know what she really is =(. Maybe a mutt? Or maybe she's the only true alien in the Winx group? That's okay, I still love her character *points dramatically to avatar and signature* =P
humbu111
post Jun 13 2008, 8:50 PM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

"Techna - Pink-haired caucasian, British accent, Asian-looking father(no idea why), serious attitude - British"
when did they show her father?

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

earth123
post Jun 13 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #14

A True Fairy

QUOTE (humbu111 @ Jun 14 2008, 04:50 AM) *
"Techna - Pink-haired caucasian, British accent, Asian-looking father(no idea why), serious attitude - British"
when did they show her father?

http://winxcomics.livejournal.com/341813.html#cutid1

--------------------

winxclub-joy
post Jun 14 2008, 2:47 AM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

I'm seriously confused, Tecna is Royalty, but in the show she's not. And then only the comic shows her father, this seriously confused me.

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Jun 14 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I don't really see the asian resemblance in Tec's father, but then I can't quite pinpoint what he might be (strong facial bone structure, squared/wide eyes, cropped shoulder-length hair--from the top picture). The purple/pink hair doesn't really help either =P. The high cheek bones make me think Elven? Oh, I guess when I look at him with his hair cut in the King Arthur fashion, I tend to think of Old English decent, perhaps from the Picts? I wonder if her mother has normal colored hair =P.

And I think the show should have merged with the comics. Some of the stories in the comics were fairly good and would have made great episodes. They also add a lot more detail, like the whole royalty bit. In the show we don't actually know if she is or is not royalty...so I guess the producer's could still smash it in there if they wanted to, albeit a little late.
Abby
post Jun 14 2008, 4:12 AM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

Maybe she got a perm with purple hair??? Who knows, I still believe she is British, even though her season 3 voice is screwed up (I adore her first 2 season voices)
Jahnavi
post Jun 14 2008, 9:13 AM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

Well, in the RAI English version of the show, Tecna has a normal American accent like the rest of the girls do. And in the show, practically nothing is mentioned about her home or family, so that part's a mystery so far.

I really think that Iginio Straffi could have added plenty more on Tecna's background. I mean, I could write a whole book with the stuff I know on Bloom or Stella (or even Layla), and I think that Tecna should have recieved at least half of that attention. We've seen the family members of every other Winx girl, and we wouldn't even know that Tecna was from Zenith, if the official site hadn't mentioned it, because she's never said anything about her home planet in the show (in the RAI version of it, at least).

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
RenaEnchantix
post Jun 14 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #19

Harmonix Fairy

QUOTE (earth123 @ May 31 2008, 10:13 AM) *
Good mention. However, i am really confused in this matter. Humans are a species, not neccesarily that they come from earth. They do mention boys and girls, women and men. Also, in the comic, they mention many times the concept of god, and mankind, although it also refers to the other personalities. I mean, look at it. If Palladium didn't have the pointy ears, you would think he was human, wouldn't you. Perhaphs, in the winx comic at least, it mentions them as humans, but of another type, like cats, snakes, sharks, who are of different types, but of the same species. I mean, take the winx. They are fairies only in winx form. out of it, they are simple human girl. i don't think Bloom would had survived on Earth, or remaned completely doctor-free, or got away with it if her metabolysm wasn't human.

Man, i am taking this way deep.

um...I would just like to point out, for the sake of science, that cats snakes and sharks are not of the same species...at all. They're all animals, but that is not a species...at all.

I dunno. I think because fairies are humanoid creatures they can have humanoid nationalities and stuff. You're right, when they aren't in winx form they LOOK like normal girls, but they by far aren't. they can all use magic when they're "normal girls." I think Winx is just a way to get a pretty outfit. This show is an attempt at a magical girl show, but Iginio seemed to overlook the whole part where the girls DON'T have powers as normal girls, as it would make the whole transformation into a magical girl absolutely pointless. I honestly think the transformation into winx and enchantix is absolutely pointless, as the girls seem to be able to do more diverse magic in normal forms than in winx form.
earth123
post Jun 14 2008, 5:51 PM
Post #20

A True Fairy

QUOTE (RenaEnchantix @ Jun 14 2008, 08:51 PM) *
um...I would just like to point out, for the sake of science, that cats snakes and sharks are not of the same species...at all. They're all animals, but that is not a species...at all.

No, no,no, i meant the different types in each species. Like Lions and home cats, which tend to belong to the same animal species.

I thing the creators should had kept Earth magic-free, or that magic wouldn't work on earth. I just think so. Besides, Magical girls or beings on earth could exist. Like bloom all these years who didn't know she had them, may everyone is a magical being, until we get to know how to use or release it.

--------------------

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 9:02 AM