Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Forum Size, I felt lost!
Tiny Dragon
post Mar 21 2009, 9:06 PM
Post #1

Mythix Fairy

Group: Members

Was the issue with the form the last few days because of the size of this forum and how much server it is taking up?

Couldn't the moderators delete the really old posts to cut down on forum size?

I felt really lost yesterday without being able to get onto Magix Club Forums.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
Tiny Dragon
post Mar 21 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #2

Mythix Fairy

Ya that too. ^^

I have been looking through a lot of the old posts and I believe a lot of them could be deleted and no one would notice or care.

--------------------
dittadulla
post Mar 21 2009, 9:19 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

QUOTE (Tiny Dragon)

Agreed. I felt like wandering around other sites like a ghost or something xD.

--------------------
Another Morning
post Mar 22 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I kept refreshing the page in hopes that it would be back ._____.; I'm like an addict. I probably would have started going through withdrawl if it hadn't come back the next day XD

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
winxclub-joy
post Mar 22 2009, 2:47 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I would like to delete the old post too....

but where do you think we can start? Plus, we're kinda afraid that people will post like crazy again...........

--------------------
Tiny Dragon
post Mar 22 2009, 5:22 AM
Post #6

Mythix Fairy

Anything that hasn't been posted in since the beginning of 2009. If someone hasn’t posted in it in 3 months I doubt anyone ever will.

Though I would recommend leaving the fanfiction and fanart pages alone. And most likely the role playing threads though they are probably some of the biggest threads. Not to sure if the old threads are used as reference or not as I don’t role play on this forum.

Sure some threads will be reposted at one point asking the same question that was deleted like where can we get DVDs or the Rai English but at least there won’t be a double or triple thread asking the exact same thing.

And maybe reorganizing the forum a bit. Do we really need a spoiler thread? It seems that spoilers are being posted everywhere on the thread when it comes to season 4. What I suggest maybe is to remove the 4kids, Rai(we know there is more then just the two versions out there and it makes little sense to just have the two areas), Spoilers, and Enchantix from the Winx Club section and maybe replace them with a thread that is season 1 to 3 and then season 4 all on its own as it will most likely it the most activity. If you remove all of the inactive posts it wouldn’t be a lot of moving that would need to be done.

You might even want to remove the character area (after moving the active posts of course) and have a character thread for all of the characters in the Winx Club section of the forum.

The game and the role playing are your biggest threads so they would be taking up the most server out of everything. As I rarely look in the area I have little say on what you should do to them.

And you will see a lot of posting this up coming week as Season 4 will have started in Italy and that will cause a lot of activity.

--------------------
winxclubrox23
post Mar 22 2009, 5:45 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

QUOTE (Tiny Dragon @ Mar 21 2009, 02:06 PM) *

As was I.

QUOTE (Tiny Dragon @ Mar 21 2009, 10:22 PM) *
And you will see a lot of posting this up coming week as Season 4 will have started in Italy and that will cause a lot of activity.

Yeah. That's going to be insane.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Administrator
post Mar 22 2009, 6:08 AM
Post #8

Mythix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Site Admins

QUOTE (Tiny Dragon @ Mar 22 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Anything that hasn't been posted in since the beginning of 2009. If someone hasn’t posted in it in 3 months I doubt anyone ever will.

For archival purposes only.

Though I would recommend leaving the fanfiction and fanart pages alone. And most likely the role playing threads though they are probably some of the biggest threads. Not to sure if the old threads are used as reference or not as I don’t role play on this forum.

That's suicidal...

And maybe reorganizing the forum a bit. Do we really need a spoiler thread? It seems that spoilers are being posted everywhere on the thread when it comes to season 4. What I suggest maybe is to remove the 4kids, Rai(we know there is more then just the two versions out there and it makes little sense to just have the two areas), Spoilers, and Enchantix from the Winx Club section and maybe replace them with a thread that is season 1 to 3 and then season 4 all on its own as it will most likely it the most activity. If you remove all of the inactive posts it wouldn’t be a lot of moving that would need to be done.

You might even want to remove the character area (after moving the active posts of course) and have a character thread for all of the characters in the Winx Club section of the forum.

Will consider.

The game and the role playing are your biggest threads so they would be taking up the most server out of everything. As I rarely look in the area I have little say on what you should do to them.

You misunderstood why the server is down. It's not bandwidth or hard disk space, it's CPU usage like processing the scripts, gathering data from the database...

http://magixclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1375

--------------------
mcfo...@live.com
winxclub-joy
post Mar 22 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

humm, tell people to joke around here less and tell them to get lost? xD

joking ^-^

Maybe removing the rai and 4kids discussion threads, like what tiny dragon said? (Just please kinda leave the spoiler threads alone, some fans need to survive here) I don't think we really need those 2 at all, so yeah we'll be saving the forums from "Server-warming?"

--------------------
wkw427
post Mar 22 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Is it a issue on BANDWIDTH[/i] or is it a issue of [b]SERVER SIZE?

If bandwidth, then the problem is how much data is going from the server to you. This also includes images that are linked to from another site, and not much DATA is on the forum.

If its an issue of SERVER SIZE, then the forum is just too big. Think of a 3.5 floppy. It can only hold so much. Same problem. This is directly related to how many posts, how much information, and the size of ALL images uploaded to the site. Avatars and images that aren't linked to from somewhere else.

If it is bandwidth, then the best option would be simply to limit the size of images

If server size, the best option would be to force ALL images to be linked to from another site, incuding avatars.

Posts aren't really that much of a problem.

I copied post #8 of this thread for an example. Tiny Dragon's post is slightly larger then the average forum post, but I'll use it as an example.

I copied it 100 times in a txt document. That could represent about 150 average forum posts. Total size of all those words was 184KB!

So unless you have millions upon millions of old threads and posts to delete, you will only get rid of a few mb.

Again I stress this

Images
Images!
IMAGES!

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
humbu111
post Mar 22 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Administrator
post Mar 23 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #12

Mythix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Site Admins

Sigh...
It's not the diskspace that's causing problems.
It's not the bandwidth that's causing problems.
It's the CPU USAGE!!!

This site is (currently) running in a shared hosting account.
This server hosts multiple sites.

Something (like the forum or shoutbox) use too much CPU processing (or usage) so the site is taken offline.

--------------------
mcfo...@live.com
wkw427
post Mar 23 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

How much cpu was it using? I can't imagine the shoutbox using THAT much.. Maybe host the shoutbox on somebodys PC?

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:48 PM