2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Add Reply
> Finding My Wings, Being a fairy isnt as easy as you think
Jahnavi
post Aug 8 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Finding My Wings is the story of a young fairy in Magix. The story happens long before the time of the Winx Club. In fact, for most of the story, Faragonda and Griselda are students themselves. Also, Alfea School For Fairies was then called "Lady Reyna Lucasta's Academy Of Magick". You'll find out why the name has been changed through the story. Anyway, all teenagers go through tons of problems during adolescence, and the fact that Magick exists doesn't really help. My story shows you the not-so-glamorous side of a fairy's life...

Please comment! Constructive criticism will be happily accepted.

--------------------

Chapter One

"I am unwritten,
Can't read my mind,
I'm undefined,
I'm just beginning,
The pen's in my hand,
Ending unplanned..."
- Unwritten, Natasha Bedingfield

Faye Lovelock was a fairy, studying at Lady Reyna Lucasta's Academy Of Magick. She was an average student; her grades were nothing like her prodigious roommate's, but she did well enough to get by. She had a pretty average life too. She lived with her mother and sister in an apartment in Downtown Magix. As for her father... Well, let's just say that she didn't really like to talk about him.

Anyway, maybe you'll have a better understanding of Faye if you actually see who she is, as opposed to me telling you...

'Faye!' My roommate, Faragonda shrieked, pulling out of bed, and onto a hard and unmerciful floor.
'What?' I asked, rubbing my left elbow, which had borne the brunt of my fall.
'You were doing it again!' She looked down at me; her eyes glittered like big black jewels in the moonlight.
'Doing what again?' I asked, surprised that I was even able to stay awake long enough to continue a conversation in the middle of the night.
'You were chanting spells in your sleep!' Faragonda finally stated, as if it were obvious.
'Oh.' That was all I could say.
'Oh? That's all you can say?!' She demanded. 'Do you know how dangerous this is?'
'Apparently not.' I said, grinning.
'It's not funny! Your actions could have adverse consequences.' She said, sternly.
Faragonda Silverfire takes things too seriously.
'I'm sure that I didn't cause anything earth-shattering...' I said, yawning. (Told you I wouldn't last very long!)
'That's the point!' Fara said to me. 'You could have done just about anything! You could've generated a meteorite that's headed straight for us... Or reversed the effects of gravity... Or you could even have changed the grades on our tests!' She paled after she had said the last option.
'What did I say, Fara?' I asked her.
'What do you mean, what did you say?' She retorted.
'What did I say in the spell? What was it about?' I demended.
Fara twirled a lock of hair around with her fingers. 'Well, I don't exactly know.' She admitted sheepishly. 'I mean, I'm sure that you were reciting a spell, I could tell by your intonation. The thing is that I didn't really listen to any of the spell, I just woke you up straight away.'
'Well then, how do you know it was so catastrophic?' I demanded, getting up.
'I... Well... Okay! I over-reacted.' She confessed.
'Hah.' I said triumphantly, crossing my arms.
'Although knowing you...' Fara began.
'Hey!' I cut in, sharply.
'Kidding!' Fara laughed.
'Can I go back to sleep now?' I asked, falling back into bed.
'But if you start sleep-spelling again...' Fara looked skeptical.
'Don't worry...' I assured her.
'Okay, fine.' She agreed, getting into her own bed.

A few hours later...

'Earth, Air, Water, Fire...
Come fall prey to my desire...'
'Faye!'
There was a rustling of sheets, and before I knew it, I was on the floor. Again. This was going to be a long night.
Sunlight swam through the curtains. I opened one eye, and surveyed my surroundings. It was morning.
Fara's bed was empty! I sighed, hoping that I'd finally get some peace and...
'Faye!'
Oh crap.

If you gave me a penny for every time I'd heard Fara call my name in the past twenty-four hours, I'd be a millionaire by now.
'Yes, Faragonda?' I asked, shutting the eye I had opened.
'You missed your first class!' She declared.
'WHAT?!' I shrieked, falling out of bed. Again. 'You're kidding, right? You just said that to get me out of bed, right?' I could feel my heart beating a hundred times a minute.
'No, I'm serious.' Fara said, pointing to a large clock on the wall. It read 9:45 AM. Fara really was serious.
I checked my class schedule. Great. My first class was with Lady Reyna herself. Principal Lucasta was a strict disciplinarian. She would not be pleased.
'Why didn't you wake me up?' I whined, throwing on a white shirt.
'I did, several times.' Fara said. 'And you kept saying you'd be up right away!'
'You believed that?' I argued, fiddling with the button on my jeans.
'Well, yes!' Fara said.
'After everything that happened last night, you couldn't pull me out of bed when it was really important?'
'You said you hated that!'
'At two in the morning, I did!' I brushed my long hair into a pony-tail. 'But if I'm ever late for class again, don't hesitate to do that!'
'Okay, okay!' Fara said. 'Calm down!'
'How do I look?' I asked. 'Have I worn my shirt inside-out? Or are my pants on backwards?'
'You look fine.' Fara assured me. 'And you're still in time for our next class.'
'What class do we have next?' I asked Faragonda, between large mouthfuls of a candy bar that I had found on my desk.
'We have Battle Training, with Professor Kariinya next.' Fara replied.
'And then?' I asked, licking some of the leftover chocolate off of the wrapper.
'And we have a couple more classes before we're done for the day.'
'Huh? How come?' I asked.
'For God's sake, Faye! Tonight's the annual Start of Term Ball!'
'That's tonight?!' I nearly choked on the plastic wrapper.
'The last day of the first month of the new school year!' Fara said, pointing at the calendar on her bedside table.
Oh crap. Again.
'You do have a dress, right?' Fara asked.
'Of course!' For once, I was prepared.
'So, what's the problem?'
'Well...' I began, 'The problem is...'

--------------------

Yup, that's it for now. I really want to do my best to improve my writing style, so like I said, please comment. I'm open to constructive criticism, so feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong.

This post has been edited by Jahnavi: Mar 1 2009, 6:42 AM

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Go to the top of the page
MorriganAensland
post Aug 8 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

Well, so far this has been pretty interesting. One of my biggest turn-offs to this series is its being saturated with goddamn princesses, many of whom deserve a a Turbo Smasher Punch. However, I would've wished they put more time involving Faragonda and Griffon's past, since their friendship was one of the few ideas in the series I thought was a genuinely interesting idea. Sooner or later, you're going to have to address why Faragonda's not at Cloud Tower or whatever it's supposed to be called in the past, and I advise you take a Mary Sue litmus test for Faye (not that she's displayed Sue-traits yet, but to make sure she won't leave a sour taste in our mouths in the future).

Anyways, looks fine, so in the great words of Viewtiful Joe...

JUST GO FOR IT!

^_^

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Jahnavi
post Aug 9 2008, 1:09 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Thanks, glad you liked it. ^^

Oh, and about the whole Faragonda-Cloud Tower thing, I do have something planned to explain that...

--------------------
esca Eterna
post Aug 18 2008, 9:25 PM
Post #4

Mythix Fairy

Jah-a-navi!! I like it a lot so far, very creative how Faragonda's a young'n ^^
My only criticism is a lack of description (setting (aside from the school), characters, etc), but I assume you're gonna get to that :3
Wonder what this 'problem' is...

--------------------
♥
~ don't try to understand me, just love me ~

save me from losing it all
guide me through the darkest
catch me before I fall
but let me create myself

esca might be coming back soon, if her life decides to stop being really crazy ^^

dittadulla
post Aug 18 2008, 9:36 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

so great^_^ so great story ^-^

--------------------
humbu111
post Aug 18 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Nice. Its creative and interesting. I agree with esca, the only thing I could think of is more description, like the appearances of the characters and stuff.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Stella303
post Sep 2 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Charmix Fairy

LOVE IT

--------------------
StellaRocks
post Sep 3 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

wow this is really good^.^keep on going

--------------------

"Don't ever forget that with each step a person is able to take on their own, they have become that much stronger." ~Tamahome
Riiana
post Sep 3 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

Its pretty amazing, keep going!

--------------------
Another Morning
post Mar 1 2009, 8:20 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I really like it so far! ^^ It's an interesting idea, it's funny, and I think what we've seen of Faragonda's personality so far is believeable for how she would have acted as a youngin :3 I'm excited to see what happens next!

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Abdu 6b
post Mar 15 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #11

Tynix Fairy

Jahnavi you are very gooood! *Round of 20 minute applause*
So when's your nest entry. It's so cool I can't wait to read more.

--------------------
Thank you Shaylo for the awesome signature.
Jahnavi
post Mar 15 2009, 4:12 AM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

I couldn't update for a long while because of school and exams and such, but I've started on the next chapter, so an update will be coming soon.

And thanks again for all the comments. ^_^

--------------------
Another Morning
post Mar 15 2009, 4:50 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

Yay! I was wondering when the next chapter would be up ^^

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Jahnavi
post Mar 15 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

I was hoping to have the next chapter up by now, but apparently, real-life and fanfic updates don't mix... -.-"

--------------------
Another Morning
post Mar 16 2009, 7:28 AM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

Aww, just work on it when you can. I know real life can get in the way <3

--------------------

Boo
post Mar 16 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy

I like how natural the conversation sounds between the two characters. Conversation in fanfictions, at least to me, can be somewhat of a challenge, and you wrote it in a way in which it flowed nicely. ^_^

I usually don't like Winx fanfictions that have other characters in them, but this is an exception. Your writing ties everything together very nicely. icon_smile.gif Good job so far.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Abdu 6b
post Jun 16 2009, 1:18 AM
Post #17

Tynix Fairy

Awesome so far, I'm waiting for next entry :) It's so fabulous. Hopefully you'll get time soon.

--------------------
Thank you Shaylo for the awesome signature.
Jahnavi
post Jun 20 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

I come bearing updates, I come bearing UPDATES! *dances in, and smacks against a wall*

Lol, I finally finished, and put up, the second chapter. Fingers crossed; I hope you guys like it. =)

--------------------

Chapter Two

"I wanna be that girl who has everything
I wanna reach that bell, I'm gonna make it ring
I'm gonna fly like a bird and spread my wings
Come on, come on, come on
Give me everything..."
- I Want Everything, Hope 7

'So, what's the problem?' Fara asked.
'Well...' I began, 'The problem is...'
'Is...?' Fara echoed.
'Well, um...'
'What's wrong?!' Fara yelled, uncharacteristically impatient.
'I'm supposed to submit a compilation CD of music for the ball to Lady Reyna by noon!' I burst out, distraught. 'It needs to run for at least three or four hours, so who knows how many tracks I need... And I haven't even decided on a single song!'
Fara gave me one of her trademark I-don't-know-what-supernatural-force-is-stopping-me-from-strangling-you-but-you're-really-lucky-it-is glares. I covered my ears, and waited for Fara's reaction. I had a feeling it would be very loud, and I was right. Man, was I right.
'Are. You. Totally. And. Completely. INSANE?!' Fara shrieked. Her voice went up by two or three octaves on the last word. 'The dance is this evening, and you haven't even started on the music?! Please, please tell me that someone else is in charge of compiling the music too...'
I looked at the floor. 'Not really,' I squeaked.
'What is wrong with you?!' Fara yelled. 'You're the only one in charge of the music, the ball is today, and you haven't even started?!'
I'd seen Fara angry before, and, like all of us, the too had her bouts of mood swings, but I'd never seen her fly off the handle like this. Damn, that meant I was is big, big, BIG trouble.
'But you'll help me, right?' I squeaked. 'I know we can do it together...'
'Why in the world should I help you?!' Fara said.
'Because if you don't,' I said slowly. 'My being punished won't be the only consequences. There's a good chance of the dance being postponed, if not canceled altogether.'
Fara gasped, and I knew my plan had worked. If there was one thing Fara would fight tooth-and-nail for, it would be for the dance. That was because--
'Okay, I'll help you,' Fara said flatly. 'But there's no way we'll get everything done by noon, unless...'
'Unless we ditch all our classes today,' I said, unsure of whether to mirror, or be amused by Faragonda's horror-struck expression.
'B-but...' Fara stuttered.
'Oh, come on,' I pleaded. 'Yeah, we might get into some trouble, but...'
'First of all, what do you mean "might"?! Of course we'll get into trouble!' Fara exploded again.
'I know!' I said, 'But it's the only way to get the music ready in time for the ball!'
'It is,' Fara said, in a resigned tone.
'So... Does that mean you're going to help out?' I asked. I couldn't help it; an impish grin spread over my face. I had backed Fara into a corner, and she knew it.
'All right. I'll help,' she said slowly.
'Yes!' I pumped my fist in the air.
'Hold on there, genius.' Fara scowled. 'What's our excuse for missing the rest of today's classes?'
'We'll say we're sick,' I said calmly. 'Duh.'
'Suuure,' Fara said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. 'We're too sick to attend classes, and then we miraculously recover in time for the ball. No one will see though that.'
'Do you have a better idea?' I shot back.
'No,' Fara admitted. 'But calling in sick is stupid.'
'Then we won't say anything at all!'
'What?!'
'Well, teacher's never check until the next day anyway,' I said. 'Trust me! I've done this tons of times before.'
'You've what?!'
'I mean, it's just a hunch,' I amended quickly. 'I do have psychic powers, after all...'
'What if they don't let us into the ball because we skipped class?' Fara said, sounding uncharacteristically demure.
'Oh, please. You know how much all the teachers are sweating over this dance; it's one of the biggest events of the school year. They won't even notice that we were gone today.'
'Lady Reyna will notice,' Fara pointed out.
'She'll me so pleased with me for submitting the music on time that--'
'On time?! You should've been done weeks ago!' Fara glared at me again.
'Okay, you know what, forget the excuse, for the time being,' I said. 'I'll come up with one on the spot if anybody asks us.'
'Because that's how you've got out of all you sticky situations in the past...'
'Yeah, it is! You psychic too?'

'How's it coming?' Fara asked, about three hours later.
'Great!' I lied.
The good news was that we'd completely complied a great playlist for tonight. The bad news was that we had to download all the music, to burn onto a disc; we had seriously overestimated my computer's magixnet connection.
'You know what, I'm just going to use magic to speed up the stupid machine,' I declared.
'First of all, that mean's it's not going great,' Fara observed, 'and second of all: don't you dare! You'll probably mess up the spell, and instead of downloading the song twice as fast, you'll make it play at double the speed!'
'I would not!' I retorted, offended.
'Please, you always make mistakes like that.' Fara flipped her shimmery lilac hair. 'Remember when Professor Kariinya asked you to double the thickness of a shield, so it could take a tougher attack, and you doubled the surface area, which just made the shield half as thin, and then--'
'Hey, I got really hurt that day!'
'But it was your fault; it was your spell...'
'Okay, fine, I won't use a spell...' I conceded. 'So, what do we do, then?'
'We wait.' Fara picked up a book.
Ten minutes was all I could take. 'It's only saved about fifteen songs!' I complained. 'And we've got almost forty in total!'
'Wait a little bit longer,' Fara replied, flipping a page.
'We're never going to finish!' I wailed, turning back to the screen.

'I have to admit, I thought we were never going to get done!' I smiled to Fara, as we were getting ready, later that evening.
'I know,' Fara's muffled voice came from behind the bedroom door (she was changing into her gown). 'You said that earlier.'
'And I can't believe it came out perfectly!' I exclaimed.
'I know,' Fara said with a sigh, as she stepped outside.
'Oh, come on! I know you're upset we missed all those classes, but I was really scared we weren't going to get done, and--'
'What?' Fara looked at me curiously, wondering why I'd stopped mid-sentence.
'You look gorgeous!' I marveled at Fara. She had chosen a deep blue, satiny gown that matched her dark indigo eyes. The long, strapless dress made her look even taller, so did her silver stilettos. She had also curled her hair, and it fell just below her shoulder in soft, delicate ringlets.
'Thanks,' Fara said, with a smile. You could tell that she had put a lot of time and effort into her appearance, although she wasn't going to admit it.
'I don't want to go in with you now!' I pouted.
'Why not?'
'I look hideous compared to you,' I whined.
'No, you don't!'
Actually, I think I really did. Fara had covered it all; a beautiful dress, lovely shoes, elegant jewelry, subtle (yet somehow stunning) make-up, a pretty hair-do... All I had done was run a brush through my wild brown curls, dabbed on a little eyeshadow, and slipped into my sister's old dress, and my mother's heels.
'You look fine,' Fara assured me. 'Now let's go.'
'Someone's in a hurry,' I teased. 'Does this have anything to do with Mr--'
'Shut up!' Fara turned bright pink.
'I was only joking,' I said, smugly, 'but your reaction has proven my hypothesis to be true.'
'Stop it!'
'All right, all right,' I laughed. 'Let's go.' I took Fara's arm, and we headed downstairs to the dining hall, turned ballroom.

'I wouldn't have worn four-inch heels if I had remembered we had to climb down three flights of stairs!' I complained, stopping for a moment to rub my sore soles. 'My feet are on fire, and the dance hasn't even started yet!'
'Quit whining,' Fara hissed.
'Look, I said I was sorry about teasing you before,' I said. 'I didn't mean it! In fact, you know what? I think it's very sweet that you're dating him, and--' Fara clamped a hand over my mouth. 'Look!' she whispered, pointing to the entrance of the hall. Lady Reyna was waiting there, and she was clearly looking for someone.
'So?' I asked, shaking myself free from Fara's hold. 'She probably just wants the CD from me.'
'Don't you think she was going to ask us where we were today?!'
'You think she will? The thought hadn't really crossed my mind...'
'How did you get to be the psychic one?!' Fara made the mistake of raising her voice by a few decibels. Lady Reyna looked up, and noticed us.
'Oh crap,' I squeaked, as she came over.
'Good evening, girls. Miss Lovelock,' Lady Reyna turned to me, 'Do you have the music?'
'Yes, ma'am' I said, unnaturally shrilly, as I handed over the disc.
'Good, thank you. Enjoy your evening girls,' Lady Reyna said, turning around.
'I told you!' I whispered to Fara, under my breath.
'Oh, and girls,' Lady Reyna called, not even bothering to look back at us, 'don't forget to report to my office at eight o'clock sharp, tomorrow, so that we may discuss your punishment.'
'I told you too,' Fara replied grimly, yet haughtily, as she left my side, and entered the hall.

--------------------

Awaiting your comments, everyone. ^^

This post has been edited by Jahnavi: Jun 21 2009, 8:46 AM

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Jun 20 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

This was a fun chapter. Self-contained and with a fairly basic plot, but it let character interactions really take center stage. There was all this humerous bickering and talking which helped flesh out the characters (Faragonda and Griffon, right? It's been a while since I've read this and I just wanted to be sure), and of course...

INTERNET PIRACY!!!! Oh, how I love your noble -admittedly unintended- defense of the practice and please excuse me while I heap the kudos on you. ^_^

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Another Morning
post Jun 21 2009, 4:28 AM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy

YAY new chapter!

I really liked this one, it was funny but also showed what kind of relationship Faye and Fara have. I also liked that you included little bits about how the characters looked. It's bad form to get too descriptive, but I like at least knowing the basics, and you did that well.

I'm excited for chapter 3 ^^

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 4:42 PM