Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> World of Winx: Episodes 1-13 Talkback
SpiderBraids
post Nov 8 2016, 4:38 PM
Post #1

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

We've been waiting quite a while for this, so let's talk about the new Netflix spinoff smile.gif Quick first impressions:

Spoiler!
- Nice to see they haven't forgotten about the Music Bar... or Roxy smile.gif
- The new transformation, Dreamix: Interesting to see a mostly slower-paced transformation sequence, and the result is one of the prettiest Winx transformations ever, probably only behind Enchantix and Believix in my book icon_smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Nov 9 2016, 7:10 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Well I have only seen 1 episode so far and I am a bit disappointed on the animations as they seem wrong. Its seems like the scenes has the Winx have been added after as they don't seem to fit in the scene.

Also I cannot work out the setting of this the Tech is more futuristic and apparently no one knows the Winx are fairies yet they were hardly discreet about it it the earth based part of the seasons

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
SpiderBraids
post Nov 12 2016, 8:29 AM
Post #3

Bloomix Fairy

QUOTE (mightymarty2 @ Nov 10 2016, 2:10 AM) *
Well I have only seen 1 episode so far and I am a bit disappointed on the animations as they seem wrong. Its seems like the scenes has the Winx have been added after as they don't seem to fit in the scene.

The new "Fairy Couture" animation style certainly does feel different, but I got used to it...

QUOTE (mightymarty2 @ Nov 10 2016, 2:10 AM) *
Also I cannot work out the setting of this the Tech is more futuristic and apparently no one knows the Winx are fairies yet they were hardly discreet about it it the earth based part of the seasons

I think it's more of an AU kind of thing going on here... We can probably brush off any inconsistencies with the main series with that...

Okay, I've had time to check out the first 3 episodes in more detail...

Spoiler!
- Interesting that we're joining in on the Winx girls' talent thief mission "in media res"... and Stella has already ruled out alien abduction icon_biggrin.gif
- Also interesting that they're having Flora be a chef... and nice to see the other characters still have their already-established interests from the main series thumbsup.gif
- and Musa commenting on Bloom's drawing icon_biggrin.gif
- Did we really need the whole deal with Louise being jealous of Annabelle's success? For that matter... Annabelle?
- (Some of) the Winx pretending to be sick so that they can sneak off on their mission... sounds like early S3 to me icon_wink.gif
- Currently, we have several potential antagonist lackeys: The invisible guy the Winx were chasing in Ep 1, Gomez and the food truck lady from ep 2, and the crocodile man from ep 3. We'll have to wait and see how this unfolds...
- Dreamix brings back some of the individuality that most of the Nick-era transformations and Butterflix have been lacking: The girls' outfits have subtle differences between each other, and the wings also have different shapes icon_smile.gif
- You know you've been a fan for a long time when you remember the last time the Winx didn't automatically say "Magic Winx" and cross their arms to transform smile.gif
- The music that plays while Stella is giving the girls their journalist outfits in Ep 3 is an instrumental of the dance at the end of 6x14 (Mythix), and the music playing while they're investigating is the season 4 theme song...
- A bespectacled tech-loving nerd boy immediately recognizing fairies at first sight... I'd judge, but let's just say I share at least some of those attributes icon_wink.gif
- Currently, the nods to a certain famous story are rather subtle, but I suspect that they'll become more apparent later...
- So far, no sign of the boys icon_confused.gif
- Plenty of funny moments to be had...
* Tecna's reaction to Flora's tea
* Musa's comments on Bloom's drawing
* Food truck lady turning away the same customer twice to pursue the Winx
* Stella hogging the spotlight as usual... while investigating the crocodile man business in ep 3 icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Nov 13 2016, 2:17 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Well I have now managed to find all 13 episodes online and watch them

A quick initial comments about all episodes so no reading if you do not want to be spoiled

Spoiler!

Apart from my animation critics. I must say that it was a nice build up but really. It felt Winx was going into a new direction, however it just does not really fit people like Tecna doing all the spy actions e.g. scaling walls. Although gadgets are right her street. Well after we finished off the second attempted abduction we do seem to speed things up a lot moving 1 in 1 and as more information is revealed it feels like the main villain has an army but there is no mention. Well until episode 8 and we get are first mention of the queen (see later for more comments on that). Then a 3 episode ending. it just felt rushed the whole thing. I have had this problem with Winx before timing wise but as its only 1/2 way through it may get better.

A do not understand a talent contest how can you compare a singer to a chef, seriously? Then we get to the judges who were too predictable after the second time they spoke
Then we get to the problem of Tinker bell who is the villain who is never mentioned why she is evil. Although we do get close to something. Frustrating close but it stops. So there must be something else going on. Especially as she apparently teams up with captain hook making him younger and healthier. Well that leaves even more questions. I just don't understand what Winx is planning seriously call her anything or give us a good explanation. Although her defeat so quickly leaves something to be desired. Not really surprising given Winx record on these situations
Its saying something when Roxy (who has 1 episode and a cameo in a few others) gets more screen time than Tinker bell the person behind the trouble from 13 episodes

I just get the feeling we will see someone else behind Tinker Bells transformation or maybe it was hook trying something on her that went wrong.

I do likely the transformation sequence and the transformation but the wings are a bit to shiny and don't quite work with the rest for me. The one thing is Blooms earrings which until I saw up close I thought I could see mickey mouse outline in the blue. Did anyone else see that or is it just me?
Reason for edit: Added bit to spoiler

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
SpiderBraids
post Nov 26 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Bloomix Fairy

Episodes 4 to 6... (haven't read anything in Marty's box above, so apologies for any overlap)

Spoiler!
- Seriously, how many times has the crocodile man broken free of Flora's vines now? icon_confused.gif
- As of episode 7, the Winx have found themselves talents in singing, fashion design, fashion modeling, and cooking... and yet they don't consider technowhiz Nelki for WOW icon_confused.gif Granted, it's probably not the most "visual" talent to show on TV, but still...
- Stella gives Dreamix its name, and acknowledges Bloom giving the Winx their name all those years ago... Conveniently enough, the main show's also on Netflix, so viewers can then stream the episode in question as soon as they're done...
- So just out of nowhere, the Winx bus arrives in Paris, even though it was in NYC "last week"... and the last time I checked, it wasn't exactly capable of crossing the ocean icon_wink.gif
- Between Aisha mocking Tec's gadgets in eps 1 and 4, and snickering at Tec hiding behind a statue at the start of 6, does Aisha have something against Tec?
- We've already had a parody reference to Stella McCartney in the main series: Stella's dress at the pizza shop in 3x01 was a Spella McCartney smile.gif
- Pretty sure everyone would notice Aisha getting on the catwalk from the side instead of the back...
- Bloom jumping into the fashion party cake and getting much negative publicity for it: For some reason, reminds me of the aftermath of her fight with Diaspro...
- The Winx recapping their current mission situation in episode 6: Ironically, reminds me of reality shows icon_wink.gif
- Even their new powers aren't really cutting it against the shadow creatures... except for Stella's of course (HEH)
- Well, of course Bloom would be decent at singing, she was in the Frutti Music Bar band way back when icon_smile.gif
- Ace must be pretty old if he needs a wig during the WOW broadcasts... ohmy.gif + laugh.gif
- Hilarity:
* Stella sticking her tongue out at the drones after Nelki has hacked them
* The glitchy Winx "dancing a mean moonwalk" (even if the repetition seems to be there just to pad time)
* Sophie's initial comments and Stella's reaction
* "Bloom, the only person capable of making such a poor entrance live on the World Wide Web"

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Nov 27 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

No worries it did cover all the episodes so its ok

Spoiler!

Yep it did seem a shame but really I do agree on the powers situation as only Stella seems capable of doing much. The others powers do seem less effective. I don't get why Flora never tried anything else as Vines clearly did not work

I am not sure why the Winx seem so much less harmonious than usual. It just felt a bit forced as though they needed to get rid of one if the Winx to do some "spy" work. Also why are the Winx joining in on activities of the talent(more of that latter on where it does get so much worse. I will add more when we come up to it) which just seems to distract from the Talent

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Dec 8 2016, 3:45 PM
Post #7

Bloomix Fairy

Eps 7-9 now (I've already finished to 13, but I'll save things for then)

Spoiler!
- Ep 7 is more or less a standalone episode, though we're also introduced to Bloom's obnoxious replacement Loralei (I hear that name and think Gilmore Girls... also on Netflix icon_wink.gif) and we also have Bloom trying to find a watch...
- Meanwhile, the Winx are being asked to help with the chefs at a contest... which doesn't really make sense since (as pointed out above in Marty's 2nd box) it detracts from the actual talent, and also since the organizers only saw the Winx arrive on the day icon_confused.gif AND it turns out Gomez was competing in the contest icon_biggrin.gif
- Huh, no sign of the Talent Thief trying to kidnap Vicenzo, though considering his early work, he's probably not someone you'd want to help keep you fed...
- Bloom trying to get away from food truck lady Evans... wearing her fabulous looking casuals... HUH... And here's something we haven't seen in a while... a singular transformation icon_smile.gif
- More main series music: There are some brief snippets of the music from the start of 5x14 (a tropical riff on that season's opening theme) in eps 7 and 8 (it's more prominent in the latter, when Loralei is standing at the Winx's bus)
- Interesting that Bloom considers herself to be lying when telling Evans and Gomez she's never seen that watch, rather than being technically correct since it was the croc man's watch she saw... icon_confused.gif
- Back to the Frutti Bar to meet Roxy... and her little dog too icon_smile.gif who has apparently had his name changed (at least in English) from Artu to Arthur... And nice use of powers as well...
- Most of ep 8 takes place in Beijing, and again with the Winx bus travelling across the ocean, and here it's more egregrious as a) Ace's WOW host segment actually shows the bus graphic driving across the ocean, and b) Bloom, despite her ouster from WOW, also manages to get to Beijing on her own lonesome as well... (And the same with their trip to London in the next episode, as well...)
- The other baddies this season waited until after their targeted talents showed off their skills to a logical conclusion... Here, the Shaman just uses his magic to teleport Yu right in the middle of their fight, and in plain sight of everyone to boot (yet no reaction from anyone else... HUH.)
- This "season's" plot demands the Winx to have a chronic inability to catch a break, with technonerd Nelki and model Nadine being the only ones so far the Winx have managed to prevent from being kidnapped (and Vicenzo wasn't even targeted), but having the Shaman manage to steal his teleporting rocks back from Musa unawares is kinda pushing it...
- We finally find out about the existence of the Queen of the World of Dreams (quite the mouthful), and some bloke named Jim who stole the Shaman's watch... and Shaman's shadow separating from him to become the Queen has shades (no pun intended) of the Trix's shadows turning into Darkar waaay back in S2 icon_smile.gif
- Ep 9 is called "Shattered Dreams", and this is the first thing I thought of (which, given that the band is also British, is rather appropriate)... and the second thing was that it sounds a bit too close to one of S6's episodes, which Musa actually even says "Looks more like a broken dream"
- Madeline's dogs are bulldogs... Between Brafilius, Vidal (Astoria's dog in RegAc), and here, someone apparently really loves bulldogs at Rainbow...
- I'd probably prefer to watch Musa and Aisha trying to act (ep 2 and 6 respectively) over Loralei playing the piano...
- Once again, the Shaman doesn't bother to wait for his target to publicly show off her talent... and he's using the Darcy-like tactic of making "clones" of himself, resulting in one of the best battles of the spinoff (up to this point at least)
- Was half-expecting Madeline to go all "Marty McFly" (Maddie McFly?) on everyone with the guitar...
- We finally meet the Queen as she demotes/depowers the Shaman, and looks like she's about to mean business by sending 6 warriors against the Winx... It's clear that they're saving a certain intriguing plot turn for the final quarter of "S1", so why would Rainbow have mentioned it in a synopsis (even one intended for the trade) about half a year before the show's release? (This FB also has that same problem with this, and more about this issue in the post for 10-13)
- Hilarity:
* Loralei being obnoxious (well, at least it was funny at first)
* The girls having to fob off the croc man pic on the bus' screen as interference
* Gomez at the chef contest
* Gomez trying to hit on Evans before heading to the Frutti Music bar
* The Winx have to do some investigation in London... one guess who they channel
* Loralei on the piano

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Dec 8 2016, 9:00 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Spoiler!

Yep that was my pet hate of that episode the Winx practically rigged the whole thing so their "talent" won. It felt forced and stupid. No wonder he was not kidnapped they like me most probably doubt he is an exceptional talent.

Loralei was a pain not sure she was ever funny. The Winx work for their bond some new person will not instantly fit in and work. A bit of a step sideways but like Top Gears old and new presenters. It does not work. She was just a limelight hog that was a Stella turned up a notch but at least Stella has some talent and can fit in with the group.

It is true we knew who she was for a long time, why that was spoiled is a good question and as for the England episode it felt a bit repetitive music was checked off earlier and seemed like a plan just to make the Queen show her face

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Dec 19 2016, 4:38 PM
Post #9

Bloomix Fairy

Eps 10-13:

Spoiler!
- @Marty Yeah, I kinda stopped short of suggesting that the Winx "rigged" the chef contest...
- Ep 10 is more or less filler on the WOW front as Loralei's attempts to find sand sculpture building talent in Santa Monica are no good, and we have quite some padding with the girls imagining a day on the beach with Bloom, and it feels like a Coke commercial (I think I even actually saw a YT video that edited the sequence to look like one)
- In reality though, Bloom and Roxy (swoon) are in Gardenia on the trail of this Jim guy, who a) steals the watch from Evans and Gomez, and b) turns out to be the guy the Winx were chasing at the start of episode 1. Note to Rainbow/Netflix: Throwing in a single D-word into the dialog does not automatically make the spinoff more mature...
- Meanwhile, some guy one would probably call Evil Smee (just based on his striped shirt and hat) hypnotizes Ace into giving the remaining Winx a special parasurfing race task, that ends up pitting them against zombie pirates (again?)
- Again, another Loralei-related plot contrivance leaves the Winx girls' fairy heroics off camera rolleyes.gif And surely Queen lady couldn't have known that there'd just be five Winx at Santa Monica...
- As Loralei was telling Ace about the Winx fairies, I almost expected her to (try to) MMS him pictures/video instead of having her be laughed off and fired icon_confused.gif At least we're rid of that annoyance...
- Evans/Gomez were planning to take the watch to Switzerland (insert Gomez making a comment about going on a ski trip icon_wink.gif)... and as it happens, everyone has to go there anyway, because it's broken and has to be fixed by a watchmaker who lives there... and coincidentally (not so much as it turns out), that's also where the next talent is... Presenting Sylka the snowboarder...
- In Switzerland, Jim is wearing a jacket with a hook on it, hint hint... Also, drama on a ski lift, and the older viewers will probably have flashbacks to S2...
- What's with the Bloom confessional asides? Did the writer mistake the thumbnail pitch as an animated reality show with the Winx? Best explanation I can think of... (And I don't think we need a confessional to know that Bloom doesn't want to blow her cover...)
- It's not very common to see Western cartoons play the "Know When to Fold Them" card (tm TVTropes... and pun not intended), and even the main series sorta backed off from going full-on with it twice before... (Timmy in 2x10, Tressa in 3x06)
- Jim tells Bloom that the watchmaker has an apprentice, but since literally the next moment they're attacked and eventually taken to the World of Dreams, Bloom never gets to find out more... But the other girls happen to find out that Sylka's uncle is a watchmaker, what a twist icon_smile.gif This opens a can of worms, though, on how Dreamix is supposed to work: Dreamix led the Winx to Vicenzo even though he wasn't targeted, and led them to Sylka, even though it turned out she wasn't quite ready to make her snowboarding dreams come true...
- Main series music alert: While Ace is telling Stella to bring the finalists to WOW, the Stella Couture Boutique jingle (plus the music leading up to it) is playing in the BG
- Tecna's no good with non-digital technology... HUH. Technology isn't always digital you know...
- Stella: "I've always hated grandfather clocks... Now I hate them even more"
- Evans/Gomez hang a lampshade over how absurd the plot is so far... and that's not even including the fact the fairies are undercover as TV talent scouts!
- Pretty awesome scene of Flora talking to the nature spirit... and I'd just seen Moana the previous day before binging the last few episodes, so the scene of the nature spirit appearing in order to allow the Winx to escape the Queen's labyrinth was a bit of deja vu for me (Doesn't help that her line begins, "You are welcome" icon_wink.gif)
- Queen is using Annabelle's voice and Yu's fighting skill, plus Bloom's fire power, to take on the Winx, and I can imagine needing Sylka's watch-fixing skills to fix broken teleportation watches... but what she hoped to achieve with the other skills she kidnapped is beyond me...
- Queen used bell. It's super effective! icon_razz.gif Meanwhile, does the Shaman look a little bit like the late Duman to you?
- After Bloom knocks the Queen (and her bell) with a single fireblast, everything falls apart really quickly for the Queen (even though she'd held her own up to this point), especially when the kidnapped talent starts falling from the tree without any apparent explanation... icon_confused.gif
- Random falling kidnapped talent: "My hair!"
- The Winx are back with all the finalists, including the ones who were never kidnapped... and technonerd Naoki, even though he was never pitched to the show icon_confused.gif And just like that, Bloom gets rehired by WOW...
- Back to the Queen's tree with Jim and Evil Smee, and we're finally told in the final scene of "S1" what we've already known since 6 months ago: The queen is Tinkerbell, and plus we also find out that a) that really is Smee, and b) Bloom has been teaming up with Captain Hook this whole time... as if the name Jim and using a hook to free Bloom from the tree haven't already given it away, which leaves behind so many questions for "S2", like why would the main antagonist of the Peter Pan story have been trying to protect Annabelle from Tink, how did Tink make Jim young again, and where's Peter Pan in all of this anyway? (I think we still know more about Queen Tink from that synopsis than we do from the actual show...)
- Overall, I'd put it at S4 level... which is appropriate considering that S4 also a) has an Earth setting, b) gives decent screentime to Roxy, and c) has the villain being defeated in such a quick and anticlimactic matter (and WOW still had the courtesy to wait for the back half of the episode)

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Dec 19 2016, 6:24 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Spoiler!

As I said the whole thing was rather spoiled months ago by Rainbow and I still think someone else is behind the whole thing with Tinkerbell. As when she starts to explain she stops which makes me think there is more to it than they have explained. I mean come on I know endings is not a Winx strong point but seriously was her total screen time even the length of an episode?

Well at least they got rid of Loralei quickly as she did not work.

A can see what you mean about the Shaman.

--------------------

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 PM