Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Request In Regards To Fanfiction Auto-censoring..., Because there are times that certains words are necessary...
MorriganAensland
post Sep 19 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

First of all, I understand that there are kids on this forum. However, I also believe that merely wiping out certain words out of existence here is detrimental to them because they do not learn the correct usage of the words.

For example, there's a certain word here, *******, which means that you are an illegitimate child or a child who was born from parents that aren't married. Incidentally, in my fanfic, there is a character who IS a *******.

Now, honestly speaking, the character in question, Cecil Bodu, is sometimes referred to as a ******* because that is literally what he is. His married mother had an affair, and I have two options... either use unrealistic words such as "illegitimate child", which characters technically would not say since ******* is just so much easier to say... OR say *******, which is perfectly acceptable in the situation.

Again, I must voice that it is disconcerting that things that were perfectly acceptable on every other forum I frequent, which have just as young members, cannot be done here. I steer clear of very inflammatory words, never use profane langauge against other people, and try to explain myself intelligently, as I am doing right now.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
Boo
post Sep 19 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

We try to keep all offensive material off Magix Club. If it's offending, it will be censored. Some people are very sensitive and/or bothered by some words, and some are of young age, so to avoid a difficult situation, censoring is necessary. We don't want any feelings hurt. Sorry if this bothers you.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
MorriganAensland
post Sep 19 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

First of all, if someone doesn't like what they are reading in a fanfiction, they can simply stop. That's the beauty of it. They stop reading and go to a more friendly topic. My stories do not use any profanity other than those used for curses. Fenrir, Cecil, Isaac, and Charybdis are in life-or-death situations, and they get beat up in their fights. They also beat the tar out of their opponents just as much. A few explitives are practically expected when you're writing about characters that are either young-adults or in their twenties.

Second, I do not use any "slur" swears, meaning those meant to insult a group of people. The closest I use is *******, which is the correct term to use in the case of a child born out of wedlock. Getting offended by my story would be like being offended by the language or violence in unedited One Piece... and even the unedited One Piece is pretty tame. True, people swear, people die, difficult subjects are brought up, and all... but nobody complains about it. If they don't like it, they just stop watching/reading.

Third, in all the other places I have posted it, I have never had problems with people reading it. Nobody's ever asked me to tone down the violence or avoid any of the subjects I've brought up. Which actually bring me to another point that has yet to be addressed...

Specifically, why is it that nothing has been done whatsoever in regards to the auto-merge problem in the fanfiction sub-forum? The problem was fix inside of thirty minutes once I alerted the mods/administrators... Newborn, Shaina, etc... so why is it nothing of the sort has been done here at all?

--------------------

Selena
post Sep 20 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #4

Mythix Fairy

I think that if the words are used in correct context they should be aloud eg. Basterd --- illagitimate child, ***** --- female dog

This is simply pretecting the english langugue from further misuse.

--------------------

My toys were my friends
Until you taught them all how to bite
MorriganAensland
post Sep 20 2007, 1:41 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Exactly. Allow at least words like ******* in the fanfiction thread, and I'm fine. Edit as much as you want in the other threads, swears aren't necessary there.

--------------------

Boo
post Sep 21 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

It's just what we do around here, we block offensive words in any thread, just in case somebody happened to stumble upon it and be offended... True, you might be talking about adult subjects, but the realization of that for some people comes after they've read some of it. I'm sorry this bothers you, but to avoid conflict, we censor. I apologize if other forums are less controling then this one, I don't know what forums you've been on, but they might have been leaning towards the more late-teen/adult crowd then this one is. Nobody else has really complained about the censoring, in fact, I've gotten messages saying otherwise: that I needed to censor something or delete something because it was either offending or inappropriate. Again, sorry if the censoring bothers you, it's just something that you might have to deal with here.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
P-girl
post Sep 21 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I'll have to go with Boo on this. If you allow curse-words in fanfic, the next step will be curse-words in conversations, that's how I look on the situation. And remember, Winx is directed at 8/12 year old girls, not exactly the type I wanna see using words like ******* and *****.

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 10:02 AM