Add Reply
> Forum Language
Rating 5 V
{§hani}
post Apr 27 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

So ive noticed a few of us use certain words and then get told off for using them.. But we dont actually have as thread saying what words we can and cant use. So its a little hard to just kinda know what words are innapropriate. I think its time we got a thread especially for it. Even if its this one.

So what words should we not use? and what words are appropriate to use in its place?

--------------------

I AM A HORROR. LOVELY SET BY EMI. MUSA DRAWN BY ALAMISTERRA.
Go to the top of the page
wkw427
post Apr 27 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

I agree, I need this, because my mouth is full of stool.

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
Princess-Mariah
post Apr 28 2010, 2:03 AM
Post #3

Butterflix Fairy

Let's just say this 13 year old's head is filled, I agree I need to know what to use and not to

--------------------

I myself... am afraid to take the journey into highschool but after watching OHSHC it made me notice...
you never do know what will happen but something good always will :)

~~~~~~
MyaMeOhMy
mightymarty2
post Apr 28 2010, 7:11 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

This has been discussed before and the problem has always been some words would be filtered so no one would be sure except the typist what they were and we (mods or most likely admin) would have to break there own rules to post them.

So its best to take the policy if in doubt don't put the word in
Reason for edit: thought of something else

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
{§hani}
post Apr 28 2010, 9:51 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

i understand that all but it gets so difficult sometimes.
On Woohp forum they have this thing were whenever you post an innapropriate word it gets changed into another word or bleeped out for example

say Green was a bad word, it would become like *****. is that a possiblilty for MCF?

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 28 2010, 9:54 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

We have that. At least for the words. For some reason, it was decided that some other words would be deemed inappropriate to.... so why not an update of the censoring? That, or stop acting as if saying.... you-know-which-word from time to time is a sin.
wkw427
post Apr 28 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Why just not list them in the rules?

Also, some mod got on me for staring out my words. Why can't we **** do this instead of plain swearing? It is stupid, really, that is why people can put them stars in to show they they are swearing

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
mightymarty2
post Apr 28 2010, 4:34 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Well that is insinuating swearing, people know that that is generally asociated with swearing and why bother swearing in covert or non convert form when swearing is allowed

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
humbu111
post Apr 28 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I agree with them, it should be either give us a clear cut list of what we cant use, or censor every word deemed inappropriate including the new ones.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

wkw427
post Apr 28 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Or replace swear words with : heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

There are really two options. Taking a third size is just silly, and I dare say it, quite lazy... It may not be helpful right at this instant, but people will then know what is and what is not allowed

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

mightymarty2
post Apr 28 2010, 8:58 PM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Well I prefer the filter option but thats something only admins can do. So we will have to wait for an admin responce

--------------------
Chimera
post Apr 29 2010, 6:12 AM
Post #12

A True Fairy

Ok, I think the love heart one is a good idea hahaa
But good idea shani for thinking of that icon_wink.gif

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

--------------------

Set by Jahnavi <3
Jahnavi
post Apr 29 2010, 8:25 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

say Green was a bad word, it would become like *****. is that a possiblilty for MCF?

...Uh, maybe I missed something, but doesn't the site already do that? Like, once, in the What Song Are You Listening To? thread, I typed "Cag-a-yake! Girls" (the title of the K-on! opening, fyi, and without those two hyphens, of course), and it starred out g-a-y, and got posted as "Ca***ake! Girls", so I had to edit. >_> {I'm sorry for bringing up the word again since it's obviously not wanted, but I just wanted to mention that this is starring-out thing is done anyway.}

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
P-girl
post Apr 29 2010, 8:29 AM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

On that note: the G-word.... why's that a censored word? Yes, it can be used as an insult, but it can also be used in a neutral light to describe a certain group of people. That's like, if I started to use the word 'Dog' as an insult. Would you start censoring it?
Jahnavi
post Apr 29 2010, 8:53 AM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

...That's what I thought too, but it's really the admins'/moderators' decision.

This post has been edited by Jahnavi: Apr 29 2010, 8:54 AM

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
P-girl
post Apr 29 2010, 8:58 AM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy

Oh well, besides that, I'm not having too much trouble with the censor filters....
{§hani}
post Apr 30 2010, 3:42 AM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

Well the G-word also means "happy" its not used for that as often anymore.. but it shouldnt be cencored. I know why they cencored the F word ect but if we get told off for saying the C-word why isnt it cencored? its not even a harsh word!!
thats what gets me.

--------------------

humbu111
post Apr 30 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Apr 29 2010, 04:29 AM) *
On that note: the G-word.... why's that a censored word? Yes, it can be used as an insult, but it can also be used in a neutral light to describe a certain group of people. That's like, if I started to use the word 'Dog' as an insult. Would you start censoring it?

QUOTE ({§hani} @ Apr 29 2010, 11:42 PM) *
Well the G-word also means "happy" its not used for that as often anymore.. but it shouldnt be cencored. I know why they cencored the F word ect but if we get told off for saying the C-word why isnt it cencored? its not even a harsh word!!
thats what gets me.

Couldnt agree more .

And if we get a proper reply to the concerns in this topic, I will be very surprised.

This post has been edited by humbu111: Apr 30 2010, 8:11 PM

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

wkw427
post Apr 30 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

Bad words should be censored, because they are bad. the staff shouldn't have to read every post and say "Remove this, this, and that because they are bad"

Also, if we can't use the 4letterCword that doesn't end with "nt" (which I don't use anyway), it should be replaced with cabbage, instead of being censored by stars.

Example: "I just took the biggest cabbage ever.." "Holy cabbage!"

And; "I'm eating cooked cabbage and noodles. I don't like cabbage, i prefer lettuce."

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Boo
post May 1 2010, 2:36 AM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy

This may help:

Does anyone listen to the radio?
All of the words they censor = censored here.

Does anyone watch TV? (Commercials and family-oriented shows, particularly)
Anything bleeped out there is considered inappropriate here.

Does anyone remember being told by an adult as a child to "not use that word"?
Don't use it here.

Anything deemed not appropriate to say during school from ages 8-11;
Do not say it here.

Simply put: If you've been taught that a word is a "naughty word", it is just that, and doesn't belong here.

Now, another thing to keep in mind is the vast variety of cultures we have on this forum. Some words deemed appropriate, say, in the U.S., may not be in another country. So if it makes you think twice at all about using it, simply do not.

For those who are curious: We do not have a list because doing that would be nearly impossible.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Add Reply
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 6:57 PM