Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Euro 2008, Expect Emotions
earth123
post May 27 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #1

A True Fairy

Group: Members

Time to put everything aside. Time to start getting out the colorfoul scalfs and country flags. Time to start painting your face. Time to celebrate wildly in the streets. The time to go crazy.

Four years to set. Two years to prepare. 368 players set. 22 days of play. 8 stadiums-cities to shine. Over a million people in attendance. Over a billion in tv audience.
16 teams. 8 quarterfinalists. 4 semifinalists. 2 finalists. 1 campione.
Its the time of year when the European Continental Championship, or Euro, second only to the World Cup, is played to determine the Champion of Europe.

On the 7th of June, the 13th edition(lucky number) will start to be played in the co-hosting nations of Austria and Switzerland, like in 2000 in Netherlands and Belgium. First, the teams are divided in groups of four, where they play each other in the group one. The two top teams from each group proceed to the quarterfinals, where they face an opposite drawn team for a single-elimination match. The winners proceed to the semifinals, and then on the the final itself, where the winners get the trophy and are proclamed champions of Europe.

This years 16 finalists are,

GROUP A

Austria
(Suprisingly, the hosts themselves don't hope much, and don't really believe to survive to the second round)

Croatia
(The guys who got England to stay home this summer. Good team, high rated players. After a third place in France 98, they get stuck in group stages, both in Euro and World cup)

Germany
(After they reached the finals and semifinals in the last world cups, they have sunk badly in the last two euros. For the 3-time champions, Ballack might be the chance to add another medal in the bag.)

Poland
(Newcomers Poland have a stiff german and croat competition, but lets stay optimistic. Like I say, everthing is possible in football.)

GROUP B

Switzerland
(Being the second hosts, the swiss aren't going with legacy, but with determination and proudness.)

Czech Republic
(These guys have spirit. They can reach the semis and final with ease. Need to pay closer look to detail if they want to leave with the trophy)

Portugal
(In the premiere and final of 2004, Greece beat them and stole the trophy in their home country. Now, Christiano Ronaldo may just lead Portugal to the silverware.)

Turkey
(Finishing third in the 2002 world cup, Turkey might pull something this year.)

GROUP C

Netherlands
(One-time champions, the Orangemen will have Italy or France to go through to hit the second round. Good team, expirienced players, huge support, and missing out in the semis. Like the Czechs, thay must pay attention to detail.)

Italy
(Reigning world champions, the Azzuri will again play France in the rematch we are dying for. France beat them in the 2000 final, they beat them in the 2006 world cup final. Its all about payback.)

Romania
(With the likes of France, Italy and the Dutch in their group stage, they just might end up on to the second round)

France
(Les Blues, former 2000 champions, will face the anticipated 2006 world cup finalists and champions Italy in a rematch. The Dutch will be tricky too. Henry and Viera would have to prove that Zidane wasn't everything.

GROUP D

Greece
(The complete underdogs in the last tournament, and defending champions in this one. No one re-won the trophy straight, but in football everythings possible. My friend Socrates has been selected for the squad. He used to pest me when young, but he straighted up as we got older. I will try to get his signed shirt if I see him in the summer.)

Sweden
(Good players. Zlatan keeps shotting. Take into account.)

Spain
(With all the talent, skill and charisma, they just haven't been able to deliver, like a curse. 44 years after their only championship, they might just break the curse. No Raul this year though)

Russia
(After giving limousines to the croatians to keep England out so to retain the last spot, and led by orangeman Hiddink, thay might pull it of)

This year, however, no England. Not that they have won it before, and for a team of theirs, have under-delivered, but they were always the team with the hight profiles of Beckham, Ferdinand and Gerrard, and the tricky youth of Rooney. Let's hope Capello will structure them both in team and spirit to win the next world cup in 2010.

To win it, especially if its your country, is heaven. Back In 2004, after every victory, we hit the streets cheering and singing until morning. And in the final in Lisbon, which I was lucky enough to find tickets, thats where fantasy became reality, for me and every Greek at least. We couldn't believe it ourselves. If theres magic, that was it. Every game, we were underdogs versus the favourites of France and Czechs and Portugal. And yet we lifted the trophy. Call it magic, call it luck, it happened, and we got written down as the champions of Europe. Our victory proved that any of the 16, underdog or favorite, can, through skill and determination, prevail over the stronger sides. And thats what the Euro will offer. All kinds of emotions — joy, disappointment, relief or high tension — right up to the final whistle on the 29th of June.

So, what are your predictions, activities and hopes for this event?

This post has been edited by earth123: May 27 2008, 10:28 PM

--------------------

SIKOSETO, TO TIMIMENO, THEN BORO, THEN BORO NA PERIMENO
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post May 28 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I don't know who will win it sadly england not there (shame we can not get our players to play like they do for club football).

So I think it is between Italy and Germany. Though I think that the others that have got a good chance are portugal, france and Holland (netherland), but think spain (could come in there it has to go right for them some time)

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Bloom girl
post Dec 26 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Hmm ... I would like to shout again : " σηκωσέ το , το τιμημένο ,δεν μπορώ να περιμένω ! (pick the honoured up -the pot- I can´t wait !)
earth123
post Dec 27 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #4

A True Fairy

QUOTE (Bloom girl @ Dec 27 2008, 12:49 AM) *
Hmm ... I would like to shout again : " σηκωσέ το , το τιμημένο ,δεν μπορώ να περιμένω ! (pick the honoured up -the pot- I can´t wait !)

That was a one-in-a-lifetime miracle, and good thing it happened in our lifetime. The most crazy summer we had ever. Do you remember how we were out in the streets doing all rhe crazy stuff? Hey, once in a lifetime, we had to make it special, didn't we?

--------------------

SIKOSETO, TO TIMIMENO, THEN BORO, THEN BORO NA PERIMENO
Bloom girl
post Dec 28 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah,I remember all the crazy things! And the noise !(thimame polla....ta pirotehnimata olous tous ellines na houn vgi stous dromous kai na fonazoun polla sinthimata!)<--- only earth123(Panos!)understand this !

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 8:35 AM