Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Persona 4, more kooky madness!
Asher Omega
post Dec 9 2008, 9:25 PM
Post #1

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

alright I just picked up my copy (and B-day gift) of Persona 4. while I haven't actually played it, I did learn a few things about it before hand, its a indirect sequel to Persona 3 (and FES) and this time there are no Evokers! well not quite. the evokers are now stylish shades instead of pistols, and the personas of the characters are more Japanese/asian mythology based, instead of European based. but the game play is mostly the same, but instead of one massive dungeon, its now a broken up over smaller more easily traversable ones. which are hidden in TVs. the game now focuses more on the Relationship/Tarot thing a lot more than Persona 3 did (unless you played FES). and yes I got the copy that came with the Art book and the Music CD, because I like stuff like that.

I'll probably have more once I start playing it. which won't happen until tomorrow.

PS. @Morrigan I just beat Mission 20, Cha... Quattro has 30 Kills, Ken (Dragonar-1) has 30, and Domon has 44, which means I can get the Sazabi, Falguen, and Fuunsaiki, respectfully.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
Go to the top of the page
MorriganAensland
post Dec 9 2008, 9:37 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Awesome! If you don't really use Dragonar 2 or 3 that much, Falguin's a good unit to use since he has a team attack with D-1.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Asher Omega
post Dec 10 2008, 9:11 PM
Post #3

Butterflix Fairy

okay, I've gotten to play some of P4 and I'm liking it a lot. mostly because it brings some of the overall creepiness that the other Megaten games had. and in a very subtle and abrupt way (yes I know its contradictory but it makes sense once you get to play it). so far I haven't even gotten my Persona yet and I'm getting the chills from what was happening in the game. it starts out with the main character moving to his Uncle's place in Yasoinaba (Inaba for short) because both of this parents are working overseas. so the protagonist moved to practically a country town (namely because he keeps hearing about "its much different from the BIG CITY") but it starts out nice and slow with a subtle hint of something darker going on.

on to the game play mechanics. they've changed things around like the dungeons are only accessible on Rainy nights, instead of every night like it was in persona 3. I can't go into fighting (even though there was that small scripted battle near the beginning) because I haven't gotten my Persona yet. they've changed some of the other stats (P-girl should know about the Knowledge, Charm and Courage stats) are now Knowledge, Understanding, and something (I'm not sure what it is yet cause I haven't really gotten to the full game).

First Impressions of the game are high. I like the style of it, a good mix of various elements.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
MorriganAensland
post Dec 10 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Good to know. I started playing Psychonauts and Thief just today on Gametap. Both very different, but I can see why Yahtzee Croshaw respects them so much.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Asher Omega
post Dec 11 2008, 6:50 AM
Post #5

Butterflix Fairy

Alright I finally got to where I can actually control the characters (and some pretty heavy plot stuff). its still using most of the same mechanics as Persona 3 but with a few new additions. You can now actually control other party members (personally I set them on auto, unless I really feel the urge to control them). the Social links actually play a vital role, now they actually affect some of the party members actions in battle the more you interact with them and their Arcana. creating a new and (and in my opinion) rather cool battle dynamic. the return of the the switching Personas is no surprise (given that its one of the game's staple abilities). and the series' black humor makes a grand return. (I've played Persona 2 and its really difficult game play). given that swinging around two fake weapons in a shopping district while a Murderer (Haha! if there is one, given the series) on the loose is not something that should be done.

on to the plot (since I didn't really address it last time). Okay to break it down, its that currently someone is murdering (another Persona series staple) people via an unknown method, while the bodies are found atop (so far) a TV antenna on a private residence and a Power Line. hanging upside down, with no marks on their body or no known cause of death. however (so far that I've played, and how the series is) its mostly related to the "Other World" in Persona 3 this was the "Dark Hour" In Persona 2 it was the Shadow world, in P4 doesn't have a name yet but I called it TV land (just because I likes me black humor). over all I'm very accustomed to the fighting style and I do like its odds and ends (Golf Club is a form of long sword. Haha!) and now for some blatant product placement.

this takes place after the second murder
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

this is going to annoy Zee but I find this video just too funny.
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

and then how the character actually acts (a lot more proper and ladylike).

and then there's Teddie, an enigma...

Even to himself.

and best for last the Main character's Persona Summoning (no evokers Yay!)

Also quick note, this is probably one of the more "Foul" language heavy of the Persona games, so any of you who are under 15 (at the YOUNGEST!) do not play this game. and note on Teddie as well, the reason he has that bad "bear" pun, in the japanese games he had a verbal tick of saying -kuma at the end of every sentence (Kuma is the japanese word for bear).

This post has been edited by Asher Omega: Dec 11 2008, 7:01 AM

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
Zhanneel
post Dec 11 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Geez, I think I've now watched the "Unmetionables Princess" video three times now =P. *bangs her fake self over the head* But the real version of her was indeed much better.

(And for some reason youtube has forsaken me, so the videos did not load on the page. Instead I had to scroll through the source code of this page and find the links myself, so I hope you appreciate that, hehe.)

I think I understand the game a little better. Lots of dialogue (nicely dubbed too) and a creepy murder mystery to solve. I even like the Teddie character--I like his "bear" puns ^^. Overall, the game looks really interesting.
PinkSugar
post Dec 21 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #7

Enchantix Fairy

So, I bought the game while on vacation in New York [I thought I had reserved it, but apparently not- luckily, a guy who works at our local game store had set aside an extra artbook for me], and I absolutely love it.

I think addicted is more the word. I bought a guide because I got frustrated having to scroll through internet guides to find the hints and tips when I needed them. I don't want to spoil myself, though, so I have to be careful.

Social links, this time, serve a much greater purpose, and I've found they are easier to initiate and get involved in. Also, you can "teleport" from place to place during your free time with the square button, and I really like that function. The main character is still personality-less [aside from the choices you make for him in-game] and voice-less. I'm really missing my choice based games where the main character, even when you make a decision for them, elaborates on the topic you pick. The side-characters all have great personalities and manage to keep the game lively.

The midnight-channel thing is pretty interesting, and actually, I find it to be very interesting. Not only that, but the fact that it seems it's not just you and other Persona users who are able to see it [so I think at the moment- I'm only on the second case.]

I like turn-based RPGs because it gives more time for strategy, and the battle-system is pretty cool, too. Fusing personas and the persona-forecast... eh, okay. I love fusing because I get some awesome personas that way, but the forecast has both helped and hurt me before. The fact that the chance game of pick a card was switched to just persona, blank, and penalty cards kind of annoyed me, but it also relieved me in the sense that there's always a chance of getting a persona.

Anyways, it's definitely a great game to invest your time in if you like RPGs and like a little creepiness.

--------------------

signature by saruvi of AF // suiitsunohime is a name I go by on other boards

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 3:22 AM