3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Add Reply
> Two Remakes, FF4 and Chrono Trigger
Asher Omega
post Jul 4 2008, 6:37 AM
Post #1

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

yes I am a fan of the FF series, just not all of them are equal (eurgh on 8 and 10, since I never played 9) and Final Fantasy 4 is getting the DS make over! well I should actually say had its make over, its been released and all in japan. but this month is when they're releasing the american copy! w00t!

and its been announced rather quietly that Square Enix (Squenix) is remaking CHRONO TRIGGER!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/02/chrono-t...a-this-holiday/

and its going to be available this holiday! this absolutely makes up for the emoness that squenix has been touting as protaganists as of lately.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
Go to the top of the page
Zhanneel
post Jul 4 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Very happy! I've been meaning to play Chrono Trigger on my emulator again but for some reason I never get around to it. But having it on the DS is perfect! I'll be taking this to work ^^. Thanks for the update.

I did play FF9, which I think you'd find enjoyable. To an extent, I preferred it over some of the other FF games because it had a more relaxed storyline (slightly less epic and dangerous I suppose?). Of course the stories are all about saving the world and this and that, but in FF9 I found everything to be more comical and light-hearted. A nice change from the more serious games. Not to mention that it had an awesome rat-girl character, go Freija!
Another Morning
post Jul 5 2008, 8:29 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I'm so frigging excited for Chrono Trigger's re-release >< I haven't heard that they're redoing the graphics or anything, but I'm a nerd and will probably end up buying it anyway. I have heard there'll be a new dungeon, though.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Ranma
post Jul 5 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

8 is superior to 7 ^_^

Anyway, Chronotrigger is awesome, but the all time best rpg that squaresoft (now square enix) has ever published is "Xenogears"

--------------------
Asher Omega
post Jul 5 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #5

Butterflix Fairy

6 was superior to 8. (Love story in my epic battle, DO NOT WANT!)

Xenogears I've played a little bit. not sure if it over shadows the Dream Team's game (Chrono Trigger), but I found the premise interesting.

Re AM: they also have added another quest, lets hope its the "Save Schala" quest that was planned, but never done.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
Zhanneel
post Jul 6 2008, 3:07 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

New dungeon(s) would be great =).

One of my favorite fan art pieces. Yay Ayla! Poor Lavos =P.

http://selanpike.deviantart.com/art/Poor-poor-Lavos-40035441
Another Morning
post Jul 6 2008, 4:10 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Xenogears, yet another game I need to replay (or rather, play for the first time, since I actually just watched my brother do it all those years ago). And speaking of Schala makes me want to play Chrono Cross >< I've already been listening to the soundtrack a lot lately. But yeah, new dungeon and/or quest would be awesome.

And the pic was cool, Zhanneel XD

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
MorriganAensland
post Jul 6 2008, 2:28 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

I'd rather Square Enix would've have shut down the fan-made Chrono Revival or whatever that game would've been called.

And yes, 8 > 7.

But the best Final Fantasy hero was Cecil the Dark Knight. The best heroine was Celes Chere.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Asher Omega
post Jul 6 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #9

Butterflix Fairy

Chrono Resurrection, and it technically didn't get shut down. the people on the project were allowed to finish it for portfolio work with permission from square. so its technically finished but not for public demonstration.

I did like 7, but it was kinda preachy about the environment. and I absolutely hate the fan worshiping of an Oedipus Rex (Sephiroth). and sorry but 8 was just so convoluted that once I got to the end I actually said "F*** THIS! I want something with a lot more coherency than this time paradox crap." and I haven't played since. I found the junction system way too much game breaking in its execution. it you did everything right you could have everyone be on PAR with Squall. I like having a diversity of characters and their place in battle, 8 just made me feel like I really was playing an interactive movie. I really started to fall out of the FF series because of 8. thankfully 12 was the redeemer for me. thats not saying its the best but it brought back some of the magic I found when playing the old Nintendo titles. I still find the best was 6 out of all them (that I've played, and yes I've played 11, it does have a plot just didn't care enough to actually go for the full thing). I mean the main villian was there from the beginning, dressed in bright colors, omnicidal, crazy as ****, and most of his plans came to fruition HALF WAY THROUGH THE GAME! the heroes actually failed to protect the world. I have yet to see anyone Top Kefka at what he did.

I apologize but I feel really strongly about how I look at and play games, it they get convoluted and take themselves seriously it really makes me want to go Kefka on the person who wrote the story.

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
Another Morning
post Jul 7 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Not really conductive to the conversation, but I do agree that Kefka = win

--------------------

Asher Omega
post Jul 7 2008, 6:19 AM
Post #11

Butterflix Fairy

thank you AM for reminding me of what this conversation actually was about.

for the occasion.

I'm going to state that if the argument (that I probably started), should probably take some place else. and this topic return to its original contents like FF4 or Chrono Trigger.

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
Another Morning
post Jul 7 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

XD I actually meant it wasn't conductive to the "Which FF is best" conversation, but it didn't really have anything to do with FFIV or Chrono Trigger either, so you're also right.

As for Chrono Trigger, the thing I remember most is that when you were fighting one of the three bad guy people in their castle, you got attacked by save points a lot. D: Chrono Trigger is the only game I know of that uses save points against you.

--------------------

Ranma
post Jul 10 2008, 2:20 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

For some reason I feel that I should mention two more games that are not related to square enix.

1. Lunar silver star story complete. [if you haven't played, play it. Excellent game, great story telling, awesome love story, great music, great ending.] --- this goes for the second installment as well "Lunar 2: eternal blue" (Also, each character has their own roll in the game, and no character can equal the main character or any other character in abilities. there is a healer, a magic user, a stat booster, a defense guy, and offense guy and so on...)

The other game. "Ys: ancient ys vanished omen and its second installment Ys II: final chapter" Great character, great characters. If you like zelda you'll like this. Its a short game though.

It would be great if these games were remade. Ys 1 and 2 I heard are being brought to the ds, but still...

QUOTE (Asher Omega @ Jul 6 2008, 07:32 PM) *
Chrono Resurrection, and it technically didn't get shut down. the people on the project were allowed to finish it for portfolio work with permission from square. so its technically finished but not for public demonstration.

I did like 7, but it was kinda preachy about the environment. and I absolutely hate the fan worshiping of an Oedipus Rex (Sephiroth). and sorry but 8 was just so convoluted that once I got to the end I actually said "F*** THIS! I want something with a lot more coherency than this time paradox crap." and I haven't played since. I found the junction system way too much game breaking in its execution. it you did everything right you could have everyone be on PAR with Squall. I like having a diversity of characters and their place in battle, 8 just made me feel like I really was playing an interactive movie. I really started to fall out of the FF series because of 8. thankfully 12 was the redeemer for me. thats not saying its the best but it brought back some of the magic I found when playing the old Nintendo titles. I still find the best was 6 out of all them (that I've played, and yes I've played 11, it does have a plot just didn't care enough to actually go for the full thing). I mean the main villian was there from the beginning, dressed in bright colors, omnicidal, crazy as ****, and most of his plans came to fruition HALF WAY THROUGH THE GAME! the heroes actually failed to protect the world. I have yet to see anyone Top Kefka at what he did.

I apologize but I feel really strongly about how I look at and play games, it they get convoluted and take themselves seriously it really makes me want to go Kefka on the person who wrote the story.

Zophar in lunar 2 succeeded. He just screwed up at the very end because the heroes got fed up.

Hiro: the worlds doomed, my girlfriend's been absorbed into a god making him even more powerful, and the world is turning into a barren waste land.

Ghaleon: I was the bad guy in the last game and I feel the need to kick this guys ass for resurrecting me and using me in his stwisted game.

Hiro: wha?

Ghaleon: I'm going to beat you half dead to make you realize that you have to save the world even though it's already screwed.

Hiro: wait...

Ghaleon: Have at thee!!!!

*some time later*

Hiro: I have friends, and we will save the world.

Ghaleon: good for you...

Zophar: I ate your girlfriend and now I look like a girl...that sucks, but now I have all the power in the universe.

Hiro: No, we have a stronger power, the power...of humanity!

Zophar: I think Ghaleon hit you too hard.

Lucia: I now understand that humanity has the strongest power...love.

Zophar: what?

Lucia: *teleports out of zophar*

Zophar: crap...

*saves world*

Lucia: Hiro, can we go to the spire where you found me?

Hiro: K

Lucia: I'm leaving you

Hiro: Why?

Lucia: Because I must

Hiro: No...

Lucia: Bye * teleports to blue star, the barren waste land in space, where no one can follow*

Hiro: *whimper*

Friends: Where's lucia?

Hiro: she went back to the blue star! But we'll find her!

Friends: OKAY!

Ruby: but theres no way to the blue star! *Now the epilogue starts if you saved your game*

This post has been edited by Ranma: Jul 10 2008, 2:23 AM

--------------------
Asher Omega
post Jul 10 2008, 4:01 AM
Post #14

Butterflix Fairy

*sigh* why doesn't the argument die? or at least create its own topic? and from that brief summery Kefka still has him beat. I'm going to do something rather spoilerific so if you've never played FF 6 this will probably ruin a good portion of the game for you.

Kefka's Checklist:

Recruit (Mind control) One of the Heroes: Check

Assault small Town (Narshe) : Check

Property damage (Neutral country: Figaro) : check

Find the Rebel forces (The Returners) : Check

Install a "Peace" keeper force (Neutral country: South Figaro) : Check

Devastate entire country (Doma: Poison in the water) : Check

Ignore Orders from Emperor: Check

Assault small town with large force (Narshe) : check

Drain life force of a sentient species (Espers) : Check

Abuse drained said sentient species : Check

Fool the Heroes/Heroines into thinking that you're imprisoned : check

Let the Heroes/Heroines Lead you to what you want (Esper's World) : check

Property damage Massive Scale (Thamasa) : Check

Kill Honorable Villain (Gen. Leo) : Check

Cause Ancient civilization to Rise (Floating continent) : check

Destroy the balance of the ancient gods : Check

Usurp Emperor: Check

Take Ancient Gods power for self : Check

Install Self as God : Check

Punish the world's entire population for giggles : Check

Reform the entire world to one's own choice : Check

Spread the Heroes/Heroines' party to the Four winds : Check

Make life in the new world hell : check

Divine Light of Judgment : Check

Return the world to Nothing : ...

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
Ranma
post Jul 10 2008, 5:18 AM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

Um, I'm not arguing. I'm just talking about one of my favorite games. I still like ghaleon though in the first game.

Trick an entire race to follow my commands: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=d_DMA0gOiKI
Gain heroes trust: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=Icodp7ugMe0&feature=related
Enslave the dragon guardians of the world: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=anp4lD6E5NU
Kidnap the main character's girlfriend who just so happens to be the goddess of the planet: check
Keep double agent within the hero's party: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=fWEE2k6pVgc&feature=related
destroy the magical city that produces the best magical defense in the world: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhdSEnLqKqM
Brain wash the goddess: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dM3FeFXwzc
Make the goddess fall in love with me for grins and giggles [and to piss off the main hero]: check
Use the dragons like batteries: check
Find the goddess tower and use it to suck the energy out of the planet: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=7C0501OAdCQ&feature=related << this ones a fandub actually...
Entrap the goddess while she's brainwashed to act like a battery for the goddess tower so that even if I die my plan is still working: check http://youtube.com/watch?v=TZfm2mi9y88 << this one didn't work out the way he planned it though. lol.

Oh, and heres what "Dyne Did" if you watched the last clip. http://youtube.com/watch?v=tPk4cpVzgXA&feature=related

This post has been edited by Ranma: Jul 10 2008, 5:48 AM

--------------------
Asher Omega
post Jul 10 2008, 7:14 AM
Post #16

Butterflix Fairy

*sign* You may think you're not continuing the argument, but from my perspective (key word), your wording makes me think that you are. so in my perspective you're countering my statements, which is part of an argument.

and the Lunar villains? I've played a couple of the games. they're good games in their own rights, but plot wise? I'm placing them sub par. the entire "Let's destroy reality/the world" with the reasoning "Just because we can" doesn't cut it anymore. I'm going to use another villain that I really like because of his reasoning for doing what he did. Ziekfried of Wild Arms. his entire driving force wasn't really destruction, but rather recreating his home. his entire race was destroyed by a rather deceptive creature who called itself Mother. Mother went from world to world because she just loved destruction, but when Ziekfried learned of this it utterly horrified him. he truly believes that he could remake his own home on Filgaia. now to explain a few things. Ziekfried is a Demon, but not a normal demon. in game demons are described to be organic machines or a living creature made out of the much more heavy metals. and Filgaia has an immunity kind of system that slowly kills demons. that said it makes sense at why he was trying to do. Ziekfried was terraforming Filgaia (sad for the inhabitants) so he could rescue his own race. yea its not that good but at the end of the game I really felt sorry for him.

the only villains I find appealing are ones that are either pro-active sadistic or they actually have a damn good reason for their actions.

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
Ranma
post Jul 10 2008, 9:11 AM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

Okay, look. I'm not arguing with you. I enjoy Lunar, so I'm copying your method of writing a list of your favorite bad guy's tasks in his game. I thought it was pretty cool so I did it as well.

Lunar villians destroying reality/the world because they can? Feh, now the argument starts. Ghaleon didn't try to destroy the world "because he could"
Ghaleon thought that the world needed the goddess, but Dyne took that away from Lunar, so he tried getting her back. In his research he found out about the goddess tower and what it was used for.

Yes, Lunar would be destroyed, and many people probably killed...but the blue star would be reborn, the people could go back to their true planet, and they would have their goddess again. He was a villian trying to destroy the world to accomplish a goal that he felt was best for humanity. Plot wise? Lunar may seem somewhat corny with its romance, but it's actually delivered quite well and tells a great story. Now that argument ends.

If you like games with plots with twists and turns that contain well thought out villians; I highly recommend finishing Xenogears. That game was truely great.

Either way, I would like to clarify. I am not starting an argument. I just came across this forum and thought your taste in games were similar to mine, so I listed a few that I thought should also be remade. Btw, I have industry experience. My name is in the credits of 2 games published by T.H.Q. I'm not going to flame someone for their likes and dislikes in video games just because they don't mirror my own. I strive to be a lead designer some day that designs many types of games. I already have 3 rpg's planned, a fighting game, an mmorpg, and I'm currently making an action game right now. I have written 2 game documents. 1 for one of the rpgs [over 300 pages long in a class where 30 pages is the norm] and the second one was for a flash game adaption of the mmorpg[over 200 pages long...most of that was the script though]. The flash game was never completed due to my coder's laziness. lol.

I may code it myself some day but I just don't have the time right now.

This post has been edited by Ranma: Jul 10 2008, 9:12 AM

--------------------
Asher Omega
post Jul 11 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #18

Butterflix Fairy

Since some of the forumites have had a little confusion about what this topic is about (originally FF 4 and Chrono Trigger) I'm probably going to demote this to anything Square Enix has recently announced or released.

on that note one thing I loved was when Squaresoft did something out of its formula (RPGs mostly) I loved Bushido Blade. and Square has now released something of a mix between Monster Rancher (Tecmo) and Audiosurf (a game on Steam that takes any MP3 and turns it into something similar to Rez/Guitar Hero/Rock Band and it works with any MP3.) and its called Song Summoner.

The Link:
http://www.square-enix.com/na/company/press/2008/0707/

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
Ranma
post Jul 12 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

Hm, that does look interesting. The last games I remember playing that were from square enix was Cerberus and FF-12. I loved the story in Cerberus but hated the gameplay, and I think 12 would have made a better movie than a game. I miss square's older formula back when they were still known as square soft.

I absolutely adored Valkyrie Profile. It brought something fresh to story telling in rpg's I thought. The entire story was told from the perspective of a valkyrie that watched people just as they died. That game was brilliant! A real tear jerker if you let it get to you. I liked the second one as well, but it didn't have the same flying around and everything that the last game had and it was more of a regular rpg. Still fun, and it had a good story, but not the same. They did remake valkyrie profile for the psp. They called it valkyrie profile: Lenneth. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mZpEaqKURSk

I'll look forward to this new game, I just hope I have enough money to buy it. Ninja Gaiden 2 just came out, and soul calibur 4 is coming out and I don't even have enough money for that... ^_^

This post has been edited by Ranma: Jul 12 2008, 12:28 AM

--------------------
Asher Omega
post Jul 12 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #20

Butterflix Fairy

actually the game has been released (from what I gathered at the article) but its only for Ipods. of which I own none. (which makes me kinda happy and a bit sad). but where I got the link from it actually makes me think this is not well thought out like the other games Square had done. for now I'll stick to Audiosurf. I liked DoC's game play. however at this moment in time I've been catching up on Crisis Core (yes I Own a PSP.) which is a modified version of DoC's engine. works rather well.

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 4:19 AM