Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> The Act of Ridiculing..., Perhaps this doesn't quite fit under "fun stuff"
Boo
post Oct 15 2010, 8:48 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I simply need to post a topic about this, because lately, I've been subjected to an awful amount of ridiculing/mocking/teasing. I have not been on the receiving end, nor can I tell you what it is like to be the "bully": I'm a mere spectator of an issue that, at least in this nation, has grown to dishearteningly large proportions. Because this is an online forum with youth and adults alike, I decided it would be a good idea to start a topic such as this; as it may not only benefit your lives online, but in the real world as well.

I wanted to open this topic to toss around some general ideas about bullying; just to bring up the topic, and generate a response from each of you. Bullying: What do you think of it, what do you do to stop it, have you ever been affected by it, how do you feel if you have ever been subjected to it in any way... etc. I think if we all talk about it and see the opinions of others, maybe we will find it within ourselves to try to diminish this issue or find strength if this is something that we are dealing with.

I'll start off:
My feelings about bullying consist of the following:
One, when I see it happening, my respect for the bully decreases. I have found that people that ridicule others as if they are superior actually establish that they are indeed the lesser person for doing so.

Two, I believe that if someone is being tormented by a bully, someone should try to stick up for them (particularly if the person being bullied cannot do so for themselves.) For example, I go to school with a girl who is a little less mentally able than the rest and also is a bit emotional, but instead of treating her with kindness she needs, my peers have bullied her for years - even now, as we're entering adulthood. People like her need someone to stick up for them. This goes for adults, too.

Three, cyber-bullying... I believe that this type is the worst and leads to the most unfortunate consequences. I know my school does not tolerate it - I would suggest, if you see it happening within yours, to report it (even if you feel you must do so anonymously). I definitely think adults should intervene if this ever occurs, as well.

Four, if you are being bullied, do not let it hurt you. Think of it like this: whoever is hurting you is only doing so because they are unsure of themselves - they lack the confidence to feel content with themselves, and thus, they feel a need to degrade others in order to make themselves feel superior to someone. If you allow them to draw an emotional response from you, they will only torment you more. Ignore it, no matter how cruel the comment, and it will cease.

Now I leave it to you: discuss: express your thoughts, opinions, advice, and experiences...

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Oct 15 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Bullying is wrong and only hurts people and yes I have been bullied. It just something that is so hard to stop

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
wkw427
post Oct 15 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

Bulling shows peoples true colors.
I feel sorry for those who get bullied...

People who do bully are bad people. Period. People who see it happening, and have the power to stop it, but choose not to, are even worse

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
humbu111
post Oct 16 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

The best way to deal with em is to just ignore them; act bored or something. Or make them uncomfortable by like raising your eyebrows as if they're the one being stupid (which they are), or give them like a what the fudge look. Acting like you dont care is the main thing. If they dont have anything to work with theyll stop themselves. As far as I've seen, people rarely bully others seriously unless provoked, so if you treat everyone properly to begin with the chances of being bullied are pretty less. If someone bullies you for something physical or that you cant change rather than something you did, then its alot more serious, but if you just ignore them it probably wont last long. And if they persist, after some time you can just be like "Okay, thats so old now," and roll your eyes, and itll probably get them off your case.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

imdepressedxo
post Oct 16 2010, 6:04 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

I agree such an act is abusive and detestable. The best way to counter such an action is either to simply ignore oppressor who hopefully, will lose interest. However, it the problem persists then u either have to stand up for yourself, or get someone else of a higher authority/power to stand up for u.

--------------------
Dead Forums Q_Q RIP

Jahnavi
post Oct 17 2010, 7:41 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

or get someone else of a higher authority/power to stand up for u.

I second that. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to get a trusted adult to intervene. I think that'd be the safest way to handle the situation...

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
W.I.N.X
post Oct 17 2010, 8:49 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I agree, bullying is horrible. And it's true, get an adult involved. It might be scary to tell someone, but they have to take any reports of bullying seriously and they will help you, and they will make sure the bully won't do anything to you after.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
winxclubrox23
post Oct 20 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Gah, bullying sucks. I doubt I can express that enough.

...wow, I'm so helpful. xD

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 1:27 PM