Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Winx Creator in the Pink (Another Article + News), New Article about Viacom, Iginio Straffi, and Nickelodeon
dreamywinxgirl94
post Mar 1 2011, 3:43 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Winx Creator in The Pink
Viacom draws on Italian animation shop

ROME
It doesn't happen often that an American colossus like Viacom sets its sights on an Italian animation studio -- and then, rather than snapping it up outright, agrees to purchase just a minority stake.

But, then again, as Iginio Straffi, 45, the former illustrator and comicbook writer who founded Rainbow Group in 1995, puts it, "there aren't that many properties out there with figures comparable to the Winx."

Created by Straffi, these six trendy MTV-generation fairies, which have become one of Europe's top TV exports, have bewitched tween girls in more than 130 countries, and generated more than $2.7 billion, thanks in part to the theatrical film "Winx 3D" as well as myriad merchandising deals.

The partnership, announced in February, under which Viacom will take a 30% stake in Rainbow, follows a global content agreement inked in September under which Nickelodeon secured TV and merchandising rights to Winx Club in the U.S. and pays TV rights for a large swathe of the planet, including Latin America, Canada and the U.K.

The partnership now expands to the co-development and co-production by Rainbow and Nickelodeon of seasons five and six of "Winx Club." And, significantly, it will open up the U.S. theatrical market to Rainbow's upcoming big-budget 3D feature, a gladiator toon penned by Michael J. Wilson ("Ice Age," "Shark Tale") with the working title "Versus Roma," to be completed in a year. The pic figures to go out Stateside via Paramount.

Viacom's first indication that it had found an important partner in Rainbow might well have been that as soon as the initial deal was signed, it set off a flurry of auctions for merchandising rights to Winx toys, clothes and books (Not only these items, alot to mention; Dolls, DVDs, Games, and etc.), especially in the U.S.

Rainbow has always made a major effort to create properties that lend themselves to merchandising "because we had to, in order to survive and grow," Straffi says.

And Straffi sees merchandising as more than just the revenue stream -- one that accounts for about two-thirds of his business. "If the child reads a book or a comicstrip, or plays videogame, all based on our characters, his interest level will remain high even during the gaps when they are not showing on TV," he says. "It helps the product's longevity."

Straffi is excited about the film side of the alliance, which gives him high hopes that his gladiator spoof, with a budget of more than $40 million, will click with U.S. auds.

This, he says, would mark "the first Italian movie to go out wide in the U.S. since (Roberto Benigni's) 'Life Is Beautiful.'?" But unlike "Life," Straffi's pic will be in English.

"I can only wish that if it's successful, Rainbow will become a constant content provider to Nick and other Viacom companies, like Pixar is for Disney."

But, unlike Pixar, don't expect Straffi to sell outright anytime soon, though a flotation is "possible in a few years with me still at the helm," he says.

Straffi is also looking forward to the May 25 opening of his Rome theme park, Magic Land, comprising attractions based on Rainbow's properties such as "Pop Pixie," "Monster Allergy" and, of course, the Winx.

Rainbow Group founder and topper Iginio Straffi, back row, hopes his deal with Viacom can make Rainbow, with fare such as 'Winx 3D,' bowing here at the Rome Film Fest, a constant content provider in the U.S.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111803288...RSS|News|TVNews

Also can be found on Michael's Winx Club News. ^_^

----------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! xD Still can't wait for the Series again and of course the New Series and as well the 2 Movies! I can't wait to see the Winx Merchandises again! How I missed them since they were New back in 2004-2005. =)

Looks like Iginio Straffi isn't letting go his hope for the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Latin America, and New Zealand...but mostly for the USA (Since he talks alot about USA Here. ^^"). =D

Also looks like we got a reveal date of the Rainbow Magic Land that it is opening this year in Rome, Italy on May 25th, 2011! =D Lucky for the Italian Fans!

--------------------

~Believe in Winx Dreams!~
DreamyWinx Will Always Be Remembered 2008-2015:

*Forum Set Made by Me.* xD

Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Mar 1 2011, 8:27 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

thanks for the information. It looks like straffi is tring to secure the future of rainbow. Unfortunatly I don't have nickelodeon so it doesn't look like I will be watching winx on tv

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
dreamywinxgirl94
post Mar 1 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Your welcome. Yep that's right.
Aw, maybe hopefully someone can record them when it is air for those who don't have Nickelodeon. :)

--------------------

Tiny Dragon
post Mar 2 2011, 1:09 AM
Post #4

Mythix Fairy

Group: Members

Remember the hate everyone had for Straffi when everyone thought he was ignoring the English speaking countries like USA, Canada, UK and all that? It seems like it was more 4Kids doing nothing with the Winx Club and Straffi being unable to do anything until their contract ran out.

I am so excited for it to be coming back.

--------------------
P-girl
post Mar 2 2011, 8:04 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Same here. There was some SERIOUS misblaming at one point.
dreamywinxgirl94
post Mar 3 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah I remembered, though I never say anything hateful about it cause I always think there will be a change and look it did. xD I didn't lose the hope for it cause I know there is always hope to see Winx Club Series again. Finally, they are coming back again yippie. ^_^

Now I'm sure the fans who were blaming realized that and now they are happy for the Series again. xD

--------------------

Fast ReplyAdd Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 6:12 AM