13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Add Reply
> The Olympics
Jahnavi
post Aug 12 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #41

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Add Finland (Saiccu) and the Phillipines (Winx_cutie189).

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Go to the top of the page
Zhanneel
post Aug 12 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #42

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Thanks Jahnavi =)

Update:

In order to root for everyone's country on the forums, I'm going to attempt to name them all (based on current place of residence):

United States, Canada, Iceland (not sure I remember if they were in the parade...), Netherlands, England, France, Greece, Croatia, Russia, India, Singapore, Australia, Serbia, Germany, Finland, Philippines

Yay! It looks so culturally rounded, lol

Added: Turkey
Jahnavi
post Aug 12 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #43

Cosmix Fairy

Hm, what about Turkey (Dilaraphoenix)?

--------------------
Abby
post Aug 12 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #44

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, I hate how they only show here the Chinese and mostly USA stuff like the gymnastics. I watched the mens last night, I was surprised the US mens pulled a bronze medal out over the Germans and the Russians, I thought they might have placed.
humbu111
post Aug 12 2008, 5:51 PM
Post #45

Cosmix Fairy

I'm surprised that Japan over took the US, when i went to sleep (around 12 am) US was ahead by like 5 points over Japan, and like a point or 2 behind China.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

StellaRocks
post Aug 12 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #46

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

i watched it last night the Germans and the Russians i did not think where that good compare to the Chinese and Japanese USA was not that bad but i really like the Chinese

--------------------

"Don't ever forget that with each step a person is able to take on their own, they have become that much stronger." ~Tamahome
bloom_daphne
post Aug 12 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #47

Bloomix Fairy

Same here, I was watching NBC, but I went to sleep at like 1-2 am icon_razz.gif
dittadulla
post Aug 12 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #48

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

I didn't watch it... *walks slowly away*

did you watch the "handball" (I stink at the english sport names ;P) mens today? where Iceland played against Germany? Iceland won! wee! GO ICELAND! I'm so happy^^

and I don't think that iceland plays in gymnastic.

--------------------
bloom_daphne
post Aug 12 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #49

Bloomix Fairy

Oh and about some american channels airing snippets and heading to commercial after 3 minutes. I didnt have that problem with nbc, but cbc had a live feed with interruptions. icon_smile.gif
humbu111
post Aug 13 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #50

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, the channel that I watched was fine in that sense, it had very short commercial breaks every once in a while. And congats about Iceland winning, Ditta!

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Aug 13 2008, 5:18 AM
Post #51

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Yes, congrats Ditta ^^

Women's gymnastics was another night of craziness. Wow. I was happy again for the Chinese since they really did so well, and deserved the gold. I do wonder about why they allowed the girls to remain when some were under the age limit. But I honestly don't mind too much. They were better, and that's all there is to it. I do feel back for Alicia (I think that is her name) on the US team because she had some really big blunders, and cost some really severe points. But what made it worse was that she was so depressed because she felt like she was letting the team down. At that point I don't think they should have worried what scores they got, since it was no longer becoming fun and just rolled with the punches and did their best.

Still, congrats to the Chinese!
dittadulla
post Aug 13 2008, 1:02 PM
Post #52

Cosmix Fairy

yeah, I watched it^^ poor Alicia, she looked so sad when she finished. she did great, but there was like one big blunder in each entry of hers like Zhanneel said. I just wondered what age the chinese where icon_neutral.gif they looked like they were at my age (12).

and thanks^^ iceland kicked ass^^ sorry for the words I used^^ but they kicked ass^^

--------------------
Jahnavi
post Aug 13 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #53

Cosmix Fairy

OMG! I just heard something shocking about the opening ceremony!

I'm sure all of you saw that cute little girl in the red dress, who sang a traditional Chinese song? She was lip-syncing! The original voice belonged to another girl, who wasn't allowed to sing on stage because she had bad teeth and a chubby face! I can't believe their doing this to little kids! What kind of an example are they setting?

Here's some information I got from the Los Angeles Times website:
The child in question was 9-year-old Lin Miaoke, who was seen belting out "Ode to the Motherland" as the Chinese flag entered the National Stadium. She became an instant celebrity and was quickly christened a "smiling angel." The image of her in a pretty red dress appeared around the world.

But it wasn't Miaoke who was singing. Chen Qigang, the ceremony's music director, told state broadcaster Beijing Radio that the voice heard around the world belonged to 7-year-old Yang Peiyi.

Peiyi had the voice and was supposed to perform, but was yanked at the last minute because her looks were deemed not suitable by a senior Communist Party official, Chen said.

"It was for the national interest," Chen told Beijing Radio. "The child on camera should be flawless in image, internal feelings and expression."

For the full story, click here:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-...0,5944370.story

Honestly, I just can't believe they cheated a talented little girl out of singing on stage because she didn't have the face for it!

--------------------
dittadulla
post Aug 13 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #54

Cosmix Fairy

yeah, yeah, I heard it in the radio yesterday! they should be ashamed icon_sad.gif doing this to poor Yang Peiyi :'( she is just a child icon_sad.gif

--------------------
bloom_daphne
post Aug 13 2008, 4:00 PM
Post #55

Bloomix Fairy

I heard about it too, that is so mean.
I agree, on NBC they were discussing the age of the Chinese gymnasts. I'm not convinced though they look younger than 16.
humbu111
post Aug 13 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #56

Cosmix Fairy

I was gonna post about those two stories, but u guys did first. I heard about the singing kid and that is so rude what they did to the REAL one who was deemed "not pretty enough". And they only admitted that she was a fake after everybody noticed, and started pointing it out. And they did that for the "national interest"? Well I think that what they did was even worse than letting a girl who was "not pretty enough", and made China look bad.

As for the gymnasts, ok, one looked like 10 to me (my brother said she looked 8 ), and there is seiously NO WAY she could be 16. Another looks about 13 to me, and she might be 16, but it is still doubtful.

[Edit: when i typed 8 and then the bracket, it turned into icon_cool.gif so I had to put a space]

This post has been edited by humbu111: Aug 13 2008, 5:16 PM

--------------------

dittadulla
post Aug 13 2008, 6:37 PM
Post #57

Cosmix Fairy

there might be a possibility that they are older than they look because chinese people are a bit smaller than others. but I doubt that the youngest in the team were not older than 15.

--------------------
humbu111
post Aug 13 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #58

Cosmix Fairy

Well I read in the newspaper that (ok, Im not exactly saying this, but I read it) that the Chinese are lying about the ages of their gymnasts, and one is really 14 or something. Also, when I was watching it on tv, they said that the American team was accusing the Chinese of letting underage athletes compete, Im not sure if it was this year that they accused them, it might of been at some other games, like last times Olympics, or the Commonwealth Games, or something.

--------------------

dittadulla
post Aug 13 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #59

Cosmix Fairy

they are only children sad.gif

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Aug 13 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #60

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

As for the age controversy...well, I'm not going to blame the kids of course. Their managers, parents, and Olympic officials are to blame, along with the Chinese government potentially changing birth certificates and other important documents. I'm not even mad or irritated. All I can feel is shame and so much pity for a country that is still struggling to become something better. They are so desperate to look perfect in the world's eye that they come off as sleaze-bags, and their own people get caught in the middle of it.

Same with the opening ceremony stunt. First, they look terrible in that they have lied to make themselves better. And like everyone else was in agreement about, they probably ruined that little girl's dream of singing on stage! Not everyone will look perfect, not everything will fall into a neat, orderly package. Something's will be ugly or imperfect, and that country will never wake up until they admit and agree that they have problems. Geez, I feel so bad for that seven year old girl.

Wow...um, maybe I shouldn't have changed my signature? The slogan is kind of a joke...

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:06 AM