Add Reply
> I Have Another Problem, Yes another one
Natasha
post Aug 4 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #1

Enchantix Fairy

Group: Members

I feel really really really dumb for posting this,
I am 14 years old and I am terrified of needles, all my friends think I need to grow up. But I am really afraid of needles.
I have to go get my shots for school in a couple of weeks I need to get four of them.
My doctor, thinks I am crazy. Last time I went to get my shots, my mom had to apologize to the nurse for my behavior
and told me that'd I'd just get one and get the others later.
I couldn't do it, I screamed and cried, but I did end up getting it.
Has anyone had a fear, like this and overcame it? Like I said I feel really dumb for posting this, but I can't stop thinking about it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
Zhanneel
post Aug 4 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I just got over it recently. I hadn't had a shot for about 7 years, then last fall I was tired of getting the flu every year in the winter so I just shrugged it off and went and got a flu shot. Basically I told myself "yeah, it will sting for a few seconds, but I'm not going to die or combust" =P. Then when I got it over with, I felt silly for being afraid. Sometimes you just have to push yourself to overcome some fears. Then they don't seem so scary. Well, I hope that helps, sometimes I just prattle and talk like a windbag =P.
humbu111
post Aug 4 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Well there's this new super duper uber giant roller coaster at Canada's Wonderland (called Behemoth), and there's this thing about putting up ur hands on the first HUGE drop the first time u go on. I went with 2 of my cousins, and even tho i felt like i was just about to die and fall out, i managed to put my hands up, and before I knew it, it was over. Then it was pretty cool and worth those few seconds of terror because both my cousins werent able to put up their hands (one's older, and one's slightly younger than me) and my older brother who went a few days later for the first time couldnt either! My advice: just do it, it'll be over really fast.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

P-girl
post Aug 4 2008, 6:30 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I do have an irrational fear of dogs. And altough I get over it. (My aunt's dog Dido is proving a real help), I still flinch, especially when they jump up on me. And nobody seems to really understands it. I'm overreacting, they always say. Man, if they could just feel that mind-numbing fear (It really is.... and I'm a bit ashamed of it....) that fills me when a dog jumps against me, they'd stop laughing at it.....

That didn't really help, I guess, but I had to say it somewhere
Natasha
post Aug 4 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #5

Enchantix Fairy

Okay, I am just going to try and get it over with. icon_neutral.gif

--------------------
P-girl
post Aug 4 2008, 6:35 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Sorry...... unsure.gif
humbu111
post Aug 4 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, Natasha, thats the best approach in my opinion.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Zhanneel
post Aug 4 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

If it helps, just remind yourself that you have to get these shots, and that you'd be much worse off without them. A moment of pain (along with being scared) is worth it so you don't get sick in the future. You could use that knowledge to control your fear at least.

My other fear is public speaking. That is something I may never get over. But if I have to do it I just do it, and hope for the moment it is over.
esca Eterna
post Aug 4 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #9

Mythix Fairy

Oh I know, I've had a fear of needles since I was little. Then my mother because an acupuncturist, and I started hand sewing. I've stepped on plenty of needles and only shrugged.
Anyway, I was sort of forced to conquer my fear, which I guess was a good thing (though I am still a bit scared). For you, what others say is right: you just kinda have to do it and get it over with. It's not easy to conquer fears, don't blame yourself. Zhanneel's right; think of how much worse off you'd be without these shots. There's so much more to life than fear, and needles are such a small part of life, really ('cept if your an acupuncturist like my mommy x.<). Just stay calm, you can do it ^^
Hope it goes well

--------------------
♥
~ don't try to understand me, just love me ~

save me from losing it all
guide me through the darkest
catch me before I fall
but let me create myself

esca might be coming back soon, if her life decides to stop being really crazy ^^

Zhanneel
post Aug 4 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Sounds good, I agree ^^. I didn't even realize I was over my fear of needles until last fall. I think the accumulation of stubbed toes, papercuts or minor cuts, bad bruises, migraines, and other painful events that happen over the years are now worse than a moment with the needle (which at least helps me, unlike darn papercuts!), lol. Now I'm more afraid of stubbing my toes than getting a shot.
earth123
post Aug 5 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #11

A True Fairy

If theres a competition about who is scared of needles more, I win first prize.

After a terrifying expirience when I was 7, when for a rootine test I was tied to a chair completely, and the docs were SSOOO good that I screamed so much my parents had to rush in to take me out(my whole generation who visited the specific clinic in the town has been tramatised), I still see needles and get goosebumps. Not once, but often i create havoc when I go to tests or vaccinations.

1. For a three shot titanic vaccination, my mum and the doctor had to chase me in the stairs in the building of the clinic for 15 min to get me still to take the shots.
2. I have run or walked out of blood tests about 3 times.
3. I can't sleep the nights before blood tests.
4. I force them to use butterfly(yeah, I am doodle, so what?), and only on top side of my hand. Considering i am half-anemic, good luck trying to find a vein.
5. I always get the results wrong. You see, having low blood pressure and iron deficiency, I NEED to be calm when they are taking blood, otherwise, with the anxiousness, they may rise dramatically for the moment, giving false indications. Only now I've started to calm down early enought.
6. I never go alone to the clinic.

--------------------

SIKOSETO, TO TIMIMENO, THEN BORO, THEN BORO NA PERIMENO
Zhanneel
post Aug 5 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Aww, I hear you on the blood tests. I don't want to see blood =(. And that prevents me from ever giving blood, which I'd love to do but I can't get over that part of my fear. I'd be happy if they just put me unconscious for any blood tests I will need in the future. I actually still haven't gone in for any blood tests but I went with a friend and I just felt sick afterward. I know it was psychological, so somehow I'm going to have to kick this fear because these tests are so necessary. Doesn't stop me from twitching all the way to the doctor's office.
earth123
post Aug 5 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #13

A True Fairy

Well, I asked so much if I could be put into unconscious-ness, but it won't be practical or possible to draw blood. Also, its way expensive to pay the anastetic.

For everyone, young or old, you should do blood tests at least once a year, for sure. It can help detect something which can turn bad afterwards. Its not the best expierience, but totally needed.

--------------------

SIKOSETO, TO TIMIMENO, THEN BORO, THEN BORO NA PERIMENO
Zhanneel
post Aug 5 2008, 4:16 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I agree with the yearly tests completely. Better to find it now than later. And I've also been told an unconscious state isn't appropriate for testing, but darn it how I wish I could just be hit over the head until it's over =P.
Abby
post Aug 5 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

I'm not too fond of needles myself, but what I do is basically just try to not think about it when its happening, it only lasts a few seconds, and it doesn't really hurt, its only a quick pinch. I would try to think about how these shots will end up helping you out if you get them so its good to go through the small pinch rather than risk getting sick because you didn't take the shot. I hope that helps out some!
Tecna 01
post Aug 6 2008, 1:10 PM
Post #16

Mythix Fairy

Well it is even a mental problem. Which we dont understand. Dont be afraid. There are many points on this problem. But I dont know. Really no need to go to a doctor. If you have courage to come over with it.

--------------------

Thanks ditta for making this awesome signature!
Natasha
post Aug 9 2008, 1:35 AM
Post #17

Enchantix Fairy

It's easy to say I am not afraid.
Last time I went a built up alot of confidence. Saying, how I wouldn't cry and down I wouldn't be afraid.
I filled my mind with the positives and I still went down screaming. *sigh*'

--------------------
Tecna 01
post Aug 9 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #18

Mythix Fairy

Uptil now only I remember is have overcome with the fear alone in the darkness. You need to hold your fear and overcome with it. I behave childish sometimes but i dont understand(actually my brother told it) . Well here are the tips.

1)Calm down when fear is there.
2)Drink water after you have overcome with the fear. So that you will feel calm.
3)If you see a needle dont be afraid. Pick it and keep it on its place.
4) Whenever you see a needle ignore it and let the fear go.

Thats all
~Mera~

--------------------

Thanks ditta for making this awesome signature!
Riiana
post Aug 9 2008, 1:33 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

P-Girl my sympathies are with you on that one, I also have a big fear of dogs.
When I was small I used to have a lot of dogs and I never use to be afraid, and then my biggest dog did something to his leg ( don't remember, I was about 4 ) and he had to be shot (literally,with a gun). I cried for days on end after that happened, and for some reason whenever any dog comes anywhere near me I get petrified by them.

And I'm also afraid of needles icon_neutral.gif
And the sight of Blood makes me want to vomit. I had to go to the clinic with my grandma once, and I literally nearly dropped to the floor when I saw the needle go into her arm. icon_neutral.gif

There's probably no cure for them, apart from just facing the problem instead of being afraid.
Like Zhanneel suggested you just have to remember that the shots are important and will help you, so I guess it would be worth the 5 seconds of petronising scaredness and pain, right?

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Aug 9 2008, 3:11 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I know what you mean Pgirl since one knocked me over i have been scared of them though I am slowly getting over it

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 1:54 AM