Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Advice On Coping With Online-insults, I'm at a bit of a loss what to do here.
P-girl
post Jan 3 2009, 5:39 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Here's the story, of fanfiction.net, I sometimes review. I try to make them nice, polite, but critical at the same time. There's this story called 'Crimson and Clover' in the Galactik Football-section of the site. I left behind this review:
I read it, and altough I like your prose (A bit akward from time to time, but that can be forgiven due to English not being your first language)
However, and I'm sorry to say this: Raven is a Sue. Not only does she get Sinedd to fast (We're talking walking Jerkass, hard to approach, hates-Snow-Kids-by-default-and-D'jok-in-particular-Sinedd here), shes to beautiful. People turning around because she's walking by? This is GENESIS! Inhabited by TONS of different creatures, most of them not even human-looking, and probably have different notions on what's beautiful or 'odd'. We're talking about the City where both Sonny and Bleylock/Vader can walk around almost normally. I can understand that from Micro-Ice, but not from an entire, inter-galactic city.
And I'm sorry, the plot is just to Romeo and Juliet for my tastes.

Polite, direct, me (I think).

Now, one of the author's real-life friends, left this remark:

Oh, shut up, paranoidgirl! You just can't appreciate a well-written fic. You're envious because your stories are crap!

Which triggered a few responses, which I directed in a personal message, basically saying that he's petty and immature (I used those words.... maybe not the best idea.) and that it's all a matter of opinion and that, leaving quality out of the equation, our stories are too different (I usually write angsty one-shots with slashy overtones, she has a multi-chaptered het-romance story.), and (Dumb, now I think of it) that he probably hasn't even read mine.

Now he left this review at my story, Breakup:
crappy...honestly, you should stick to the things you know, like vaccuming icon_smile.gif)

And it hurt.... especially the last line, I admit, I can have my bouts of extreme feminism from time to time, but like VACCUMING?! That draws the line.

I don't know what to do.... I know I probably should ignore this (And I probably should've started ignoring with that after the scathing remark, heck, I'm even doubtful if I should post this article, asking for help), but.... I don't know, something inside me tells me I should fight this, to at least make a point.
If anyone can help me on how to handle this, I'd be appreciative.
Go to the top of the page
Winx4eva!
post Jan 3 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

I guess some people have different opions to others stories.The best is to ignore.I know it hurts.I have been bullied a couple of times.The other best thing you shoud try is saying, "Don't be nasty" or something like that...stand up for your self in other words.Just don't do what I did... happy.gif

--------------------

--- www.mishiiheart.blogspot.com ---
mightymarty2
post Jan 3 2009, 6:26 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

ok first the feminism is too far for any argument it has no place we are all as equal as we can be down to differences in genetic make up

I think that although it mey be tempting to get into an argument and continue it, though i think you will not win or lose, i could see it going on for a lot longer and getting more insulting and you can avoid him/her without compramising your enjoyment of the website. Though it maybe best to block him/her so you can avoid anymore abuse

winx4eva telling them to stop is very unlikely to work, i have been bullied for a long time during secondary school that did not work

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
humbu111
post Jan 3 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I agree, and think the best way to deal with it is ignoring it. If the other person keeps at the argument, just leave a message saying "Dude, chill. I didnt mean to insult your story in the first place, I was just trying to help you, so that maybe you could use the constructive criticism to improve as an author. Now stop pestering me."

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Asher Omega
post Jan 3 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #5

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

ah good ol' internet standard. you can insult anyone because its anonymous. as Penny Arcade put it in a visual way This allows him to act that way. best answer, ignore them completely. block him if you can.

about the insult about the vacuums which, (no offense P-Girl) I thought was pretty funny. they guy was trying to make a joke about sucking. however that doesn't truly excuse his behavior.

probably what set this off was his complete lack of taking criticism. every one has a few sentences (or in my case a turn of phrase) that will set off the alarms and klaxons in their heads. the writer, if he actually read some of the advice of actual writers most revolves around one phrase. Take every bit of advice with a pinch of salt. sadly that person probably hates salt so he insults those so only the people who praise him are "allowed". what we call those people is pretentious. a good author/writer will take some advice to heart as long as it doesn't ruin the story.

In conclusion, P-Girl best advice is just ignore him.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
P-girl
post Jan 4 2009, 8:08 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah.... it's probably the best thing to do, to pull out and just ignore him. Thanks guys, moments like these can make me insecure and do things I later regret.
Abby
post Jan 16 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

They are being very immature and just commenting on your stories like that because they feel the need to defend their friend for some reason, when you didn't say anything wrong, it was just criticism. I would just try to ignore it. I know these comments can hurt at times (I have had bad comments like that on youtube videos etc.) but you just have to try to tell yourself that the person has no clue what they are talking about.

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 4:22 PM