Add Reply
> Fave Disney Movie
Zhanneel
post Aug 21 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

*points to self* -- "Hopeless romantic" here too.

I honestly believe that happy endings are good for kids, because we don't want the opposite of positivity happening, where kids become cynical and hardened to everything good that could happen. Happy endings actually give us hope, even if they don't always happen. My life isn't a tea party, but then when I watch movies where happy endings occur it gives me hope and actually helps me strive for my own happiness. Wow, that sounded really cliche =P.
Go to the top of the page
Jahnavi
post Aug 21 2008, 5:05 PM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Nope, not melodramatic or cliche. I completely agree with both your posts.

Every time I watch a movie in the theater, especially if it's a fantasy, I always get totally absorbed in the movie, and feel like I'm stepping out of a trance when the movie ends, and I leave the theater... If you get what I mean... =P

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
P-girl
post Aug 21 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #23

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

But it's a good cliché. Better then the 'my life is an empty pool of darkness'-one.
Abby
post Aug 21 2008, 5:07 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

I think it's good to have happily ever after endings for kids, since you want a child to feel good after watching a movie, you only get to be a kid once. To me I can get kinda sick of that, but I still watch Disney movies anyways. If the content of the movie is good before the ending, I like the movie. Like Enchanted, the ending was very predictable, but the whole idea of the movie, I really loved that. So that is a good movie in my mind. I also like seeing movie to escape reality, but most movies just make me sad seeing as how my life will never be like that ever (and I'm not talking about just the disney movies, but even movies like Harry Potter when you see the friendships in the movie)
Jahnavi
post Aug 21 2008, 5:10 PM
Post #25

Cosmix Fairy

Maybe that's why we watch movies like that. Life may never be like that, so movies are as close as we can get.

--------------------
P-girl
post Aug 21 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

To add to the good clichés:

Unless we WORK for it, keeping the hope and all that. A happy ending can happen in real life, it just takes longer then in the movies (And a lot more effort has to be put into it.)
Abby
post Aug 21 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #27

Cosmix Fairy

That's why I watch movies. It is to get away from my own life. I watch movies a lot when I'm feeling really down or just going through a rough patch.
Zhanneel
post Aug 21 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #28

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I do think happy endings can inspire people to make their own happy endings. It seems too many people don't bother to dream about them, and that leads to a lot of moody, pessimistic adults (like where I work). They settle too quickly and take mundane, easy to come by "endings". But I think with some trial and error, and maybe a lot of work, a good, if not happy, ending can happen for most people. This is probably why I rarely ever watch anime--a large part of that culture is to never have the "cliche" happy ending. But...now it's cliche not to have the happy ending in anime =P. There's a lot of struggle in many animes, and that's realistic, but then half the time it turns out horribly sad or melancholy in the end. I just can't watch something depressing like that, lol. So I stick with my Disney movies and Studio Ghibli films.
Jahnavi
post Aug 21 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy

Really? I never thought of it that way, I thought some anime did have happy endings. *Points to the ever-popular Cardcaptor Sakura*

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Aug 21 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #30

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I never hear about the happy ending ones, but I know most anime that is aimed at younger kids is usually happy. Which is probably why I like Magical Do-Re-Me =). But then I tried my hardest to finish out Inuyasha, and I just gave up when I found out it was going to end in a very ambiguous way, and that they were going to continue doing the manga. But I do love Ghibli films, but I don't really classify those as anime.
Jahnavi
post Aug 21 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy

Um, this may sound dumb, but what are Ghibli films, exactly?

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Aug 21 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #32

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Well, the one people have associated most with Studio Ghibli was "Spirited Away" (if that was aired in India?) because it won a lot of awards.

Then there are other movies made under that company, my favorites being Nausicaa, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, , Whisper of the Heart , Princess Mononoke, and the more recent Howl's Moving Castle. All very good and probably worth looking into if you love Disney movies ^^.
Jahnavi
post Aug 21 2008, 5:51 PM
Post #33

Cosmix Fairy

Nope, I don't think any of those movies were aired in India. Is there anywhere I can watch them online?

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Aug 21 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #34

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Other than probably Youtube or another FLV site...I'm not sure. If you're okay with torrents you should be able to find a lot of people hosting those movies still (most of them I just saw are listed on mininova.org). That's probably your best bet, unless you have a rental store that has them. They are all really cute, and they teach lessons to boot =). I think Howl's Moving Castle was my favorite for romance, and then Nausicaa was my ultimate favorite because of the environmental theme (same with Princess Mononoke).
Jahnavi
post Aug 21 2008, 6:03 PM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy

I'll check them out, they all sound really cool. ^^

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Aug 21 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #36

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I hope you can find some or all of them =).
AnnieBelle
post Aug 21 2008, 8:37 PM
Post #37

Cosmix Fairy

@Zhanneel: don't forget Kiki's Delivery Service.

...Really, I like all the Disney movies. I was just talking about one of the Disney movies that I couldn't stand earlier today, but I forget what it was. But my favorite Disney movie is definitely Beauty and the Beast, it's been my favorite since I was really little. {When I went to Disney World when I was two, I begged my daddy constantly to let me go see Belle, and I squealed when she signed my autograph book or whatever it's called...-_-"} ...Thus my nickname.

--------------------
PinkSugar
post Aug 21 2008, 9:59 PM
Post #38

Enchantix Fairy

Group: Members

Belle was always my favorite Disney Princess, so it's not a surprise that Beauty and the Beast has been my favorite movie. I also like The Little Mermaid, the original Pirates of the Caribbean, and Pocahontas. I also liked Peter Pan (haven't watched it in a long while, though) and Mulan. Ah, well. I'm not big of the Disney/Pixar collaborations. So far, nothing has really, really impressed me. I miss the old animation (maybe it's just me, though...)

--------------------

signature by saruvi of AF // suiitsunohime is a name I go by on other boards
Zhanneel
post Aug 22 2008, 3:28 AM
Post #39

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Doh! I'm so silly, I forgot Kiki's Delivery Service! It's glaring at me from my CD/DVD rack <_<

And for favorites mine is also Beauty and the Beast (since she's my favorite book smarts gal). Then, as a verrrrry close second, it's Mulan, because she's so kick butt and uses her common sense. And geez, I don't know if this ties or what, but Aladdin was also awesome in it's own way (but I loved Belle and Mulan best for their very strong heroine qualities). But when I was younger The Little Mermaid was my favorite for a long time. Now, today, I know that Ariel was a little silly to deal with a sea witch, and not altogether that bright, but all I was thinking was "ooooooh, a mermaid! I wanna be a mermaid!"
Jahnavi
post Aug 22 2008, 3:32 AM
Post #40

Cosmix Fairy

Really? I liked both styles of animation. And I did like some of the newer movies a lot. (Ratatouille!) I just heard that Pixar is collaborating with an Indian film company, and they're making a Hindi (that's an Indian language) movie to be released this fall! I can't wait...

My favorite Disney girl (don't think she counts as a Princess) was Meg, from Hercules. My favorite princess, if I may get specific, was Jasmine, from Aladdin.

This post has been edited by Jahnavi: Aug 22 2008, 5:26 AM

--------------------

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 3:56 AM