Add Reply
> They've Gone Too Far, 4kids...
P-girl
post Feb 25 2008, 8:39 AM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Don't know wether this is on- or off-topic, so here I go:

Note: I wrote this because I'm irked, so I might get some facts wrong.
[rant]
I don't think it's just 4Kids botching up translations, or only cartoons suffering from it, for that matter. I'm starting to think it's something all out American. I think another good example is Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (Days of Ruin in America.), where they completely ruined on of the better villains videogames had in a long time! (In my opinion, at least.) In the European version (And most likely the Japanese one) Finn (Known as Waylon in the American version. (It already starts there, Finn is a WAY cooler name then Waylon.)), might behave technically the same as in the American version, but when I got a hold of the American script, and compared it to my European game, I couldn't help but wail a bit. They changed sexy Finn with his bad-boy 'Whatever, I do what I want'- Behaviour, into a complete Idiot! Now I know Finn was probably meant to be the least likeable one of the cast, but America has taken it to far, giving him a matter of speech that just doesn't do his character justice. In Europe, they at least gave him some credibility, character depth and intelligence, which America threw out of the window.
And the sarcastic sympathy. In the European version, this is a much more subtle kind, one where you have to wonder if it's genuine or sarcastic, until pretty late in the game. Where in America they pound it on you with a sledgehammer.
And the god-awful puns! Finn is a joker, but he does NOT DO PUNS!
And he never says 'Woo-hoo!' once! (It works for him. Trust me.)
And.....!
And......!
[/rant]

*Breathes deeply*

Sorry, I just had to vent that somewhere. If you guys think it's to off-topic, I'll just place it on another part of the board.
BTW, if you don't know Advance wars: I highly recommend the entire series.
Go to the top of the page
Boo
post Feb 25 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

It's alright.
From what I've seen and heard, I think America is extra strict with foreign cartoons. I've heard some downright inappropriate things from American cartoons (from which were aimed for really little kids). Even though it was inappropriate for a younger viewer, it didn't get cut. Why? I think it was simply because the cartoon was American. If the same thing was in the script for a cartoon from, I don't know, Japan or something, it probably would have been cut. *sigh* I wish we had more unbiased cartoon companies to take in foreign cartoons.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
P-girl
post Feb 25 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #23

Cosmix Fairy

Not to mention they tend to 'simplify' things. So that there's mostly just good and evil, black and white, no gray area in between.
Boo
post Feb 25 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

I agree with that. I'm guessing they want to try to lessen confusion or something, but honestly, stuff like that gets rid of the good depth in cartoons and sometimes it turns them from really great cartoons to really dull, uninteresting ones.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
SolarfireWinx
post Feb 26 2008, 6:11 AM
Post #25

Sirenix Fairy

Group: Members

I think I can tell you why. America has yet to grasp the concept that cartoons are **NOT** just for their adorable spoiled brats.
Especially with this generation; people are just starting to realize that..."HOLY CRAP...my 3 year old can't watch anime?" --_--;;
America's got to be one of the most censored/child "friendly" countries in the world. That's why almost every where else kids are just exposed to things. If we'd quit trying to shelter and sensor everything, maybe kids wouldn't walk around an ever present bubble? Let's pop the bubble, because God knows we need to wake up. Things have changed people, it's time for the entertainment industries, culture and media to stop twisting it and deal with it. Keep the twists and slants in politics...kthanxbai....

*as House* "CLIMB OUT OF YOUR HOLES PEOPLE!!!"

*takes a deep breath* *smiles* I apoligize for that outburst, let's just say I had a crappy day and no sleep, kay? XD

This post has been edited by SolarfireWinx: Feb 26 2008, 6:51 AM

--------------------

Uber goregeous sig by Fullmoon & kudos to dragonFire for the amazing userbar!!
~*The Magic's In You.*~
Abby
post Feb 26 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

I think America does like to shelter the kids. I feel that when american people grow older they aren't (how do I say this?) as <i>Mature</i> as other people in other countries? Mature isn't really the right word but I can't think of how to describe it. I mean just look at the differences in drinking and driving ages. they think all Americans are irresponsible so our Drinking age is 21 while Germany's is 16, Canada's is 19 (or 18, I'm not too sure)
P-girl
post Feb 26 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #27

Cosmix Fairy

That, while you can drive at sixteen. Here in Holland, you can drink from sixteen years on. America's just..... odd with their morals and standards.
Abby
post Feb 26 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #28

Cosmix Fairy

yeah it is. I'm not bringing up the drinking and driving stuff because I wish it was lower (well I really do want to drive so I don't have to have my parents driving me around everywhere, and I do think the drinking age is a bit high) its just an example of how America seems to think that we need [children] need so much protection from the "Big Bad World" when it isn't that scary.
P-girl
post Feb 26 2008, 7:20 PM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy

They might look like they think that, but I still think it's skewered. Especially the Violence/Sex-rating is just..... messed up. Like a Dutch movie critic said: It's much easier to see how they take a live on TV, then how they make a life.
Boo
post Feb 26 2008, 8:50 PM
Post #30

Cosmix Fairy

Driving at 16 then drinking at 21.... driving is something to look forwards to (heck, I'm going to be driving pretty soon here), but, I think there would be much, much less accidents (especially with drinking and driving) if we adopted Europe's ways of going about that. Being able to drink before you are allowed to drive, at least I think, is a much more intelligent idea. They have a couple years to drink and such, so they're more mature and responsible by the time they drive. No temptations to drink and drive = less accidents. Here? Not so much. Kids aren't allowed to drink yet, so they're more tempted to experiment (drink under the age limit and while driving and such). I there would be a drastic fall in car accidents among teens if we drove later and drank earlier. I'm not saying that I personally would drink, but it just makes more sense.

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Feb 26 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I completly understand where you are comming form I know people in the UK where I live drink under age 15-16 starting maybe earlier with the aim of getting drunk. I don't see the point, damaging your body and getting a headakce, why is this good in peoples eyes? Whereas I don't really drink even though I can and I am seen as bit of a freak for it.

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Abby
post Feb 26 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #32

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (Boo @ Feb 26 2008, 05:50 PM) *
Driving at 16 then drinking at 21.... driving is something to look forwards to (heck, I'm going to be driving pretty soon here), but, I think there would be much, much less accidents (especially with drinking and driving) if we adopted Europe's ways of going about that. Being able to drink before you are allowed to drive, at least I think, is a much more intelligent idea. They have a couple years to drink and such, so they're more mature and responsible by the time they drive. No temptations to drink and drive = less accidents. Here? Not so much. Kids aren't allowed to drink yet, so they're more tempted to experiment (drink under the age limit and while driving and such). I there would be a drastic fall in car accidents among teens if we drove later and drank earlier. I'm not saying that I personally would drink, but it just makes more sense.

I totally agree with you boo. Kids like drinking for the adrenaline of it, not just to drink. Even one of the people I hang out with said it wouldn't be fun if it was actually legal to drink at 16 so they could make it lower so kids would learn about responsibility first. I don't drink, I mean I have had sips of a bottle of beer my dad may be drinking or a glass of wine on New Year's Eve, but thats it.
SolarfireWinx
post Feb 27 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #33

Sirenix Fairy

Honestly, I think a lot of the problems with kids are the parents. Look at all the soccer moms/stepford wives/whatever-you-want/uber strict. Although, because kids have been so insanely sheltered they enter the "real world" and are completely shell shocked. They fall victim to the freedom and peer pressure. They don't know how to pace themselves and end up screwing everything up trying to take it all in. Like a toddler at a grocery store with all the colors, banners and shapes everywhere...It's just insanely overstimulated. However, the parents dont seem to know what to do anymore and they don't want to deal with them so they just let the law do it for them. Honestly, if we'd just be more open about things with kids ((especially in the world we're in now)) maybe they wouldn't act like kids when they get to be adults. I wish parents knew their kids as kids not as Jimmy McPerfect who can walk on water and does no wrong. Why? because he's their child. It's all narcissism I tell you. *sighs* I'm never having kids....EVER.

--------------------

Uber goregeous sig by Fullmoon & kudos to dragonFire for the amazing userbar!!
~*The Magic's In You.*~
Abby
post Feb 27 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #34

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, I think we can all agree that kids in America at least are very "sheltered". I don't know if I want kids. I don't even know if I am ever going to get married in the first place. And if I have kids I would want to be married first so I don't know if I want kids.
mightymarty2
post Feb 27 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I aggree, marrige who knows see if I ever have the confidence to ask anyone out and take it from there but it would have to be a while before marridge is a fesable idea, then kid/kids unlikely as have low tolerance of them and doubt I will ever get as far as marridge due to reasons mentioned above, no marridge=no kid/kids

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
P-girl
post Feb 27 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #36

Cosmix Fairy

Uhm, just a question.... might be a bit off, but..... you don't need a marriage to have kids. My parents never married.

Most kids nowadays (Not just American, but they do take the lead.) lack discipline and are spoiled rotten, in my eyes. I'm not talking about über-strict, but stricter then they apperantly are nowadays.
mightymarty2
post Feb 27 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #37

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I know that its just if I did ever had kid/kids I would like to be in a loving stable relationsip, I do understand what you mean

On the parents not strict enough I do aggree but some are remembers back to year 4/5 shouted at for not tring hard enough (I know my parents are notthat strict but they can be),

--------------------
Boo
post Feb 27 2008, 8:40 PM
Post #38

Cosmix Fairy

I agree. Kids here , because their parents aren't setting proper limits on them, seem to be growing up much too quickly. They have boyfriends, they talk about certain subjects that they shouldn't even know about, they cuss, they watch rated R movies, they watch things like Family Guy on TV, all about at the age of 9. Sounds like I'm making it up? No. Get a 9 year old sister and find out for yourself. Or babysit a 9 year old... Their parents honestly don't care. They'd rather be the kids' friend then to be their parent. I don't think they understand that you can't be a friend in all situations. Kids will be kids, its the parents responsibility to look after them. If you don't want to take care of your kid, why have one?

Where did the classic game of house and fantasy go? When I was around 9, I still had imaginary friends and such. No joke. Boys played around like they were in battle in some odd imaginary world. We played house and dolls and such. Now it seems that that is all gone. Some kids still do that stuff, but others are already into dating, make-up, and gossip. It's just sad... really sad.

I also think that the lack of limits set on teens and kids today is the reason for all these teens who continuously get into trouble. Their parents don't want to stop them, but then when they do, it's too late. The kid won't stop whatever they're doing now and they won't take their parents seriously when they say to stop. I've seen this happen with somebody I know, and it's a classic example of what happens all too much.

Anyway.....
Sorry for such a long post and going on and on... I'll shut up now. wink.gif

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Feb 27 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #39

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

no its ok

I got punched some kid a while a go as my bag collided with him by accident and I had a death threat off another as he tried to slap me and I stopped him with my arm. I know when I was there age the young years respeected their elders. God I sound like an old man.

Kids need limits at a very young age not start when things are out of hand

--------------------
Selena
post Feb 28 2008, 6:22 AM
Post #40

Mythix Fairy

QUOTE (Boo @ Feb 27 2008, 07:50 AM) *

Here in Victoria, Australia you can get your learner permit (L's) at 16 which lets you drive under the supervision of a person with their full licence.
At 18 you can go for your probationary licence (P's) Drink and Vote. But with both your P's and L's you can not drive with any alchol in your system.
However it is not illegel for some one under the age of 18 to drink in a privte residence. So we get alot of 'house' partys around here. (House partys are usually in the shed)

This may seem like a odd question but to you guys (where ever you live) get taught about sex and puberty?
In my town we get it taught to us in grade 5-6 (or 10-12 years old). But not by our teacher. A lady travels arounds to all the schools to teach us this stuff.
I ask because it seams a tad foolish to wait till some one is 15 to talk about this stuff. Hell, I know people who were pregenet when they were 15. Actually it is better to be taught about sex at a young age because alot of the time it is the mystery aqnd forbiddiness the make people curious.

Sorry if this upset any one but i the lack of sex education to be baffling

--------------------

My toys were my friends
Until you taught them all how to bite

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:16 AM