Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Add Reply
> Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down Individual Posts?
Rating 3 V
humbu111
post Apr 19 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I think it would be pretty cool to be able to give individual posts a thumbs up or a thumbs down like how you can for youtube. Would that be possible? Like alot of times I've noticed people agree with a certain post, so they make a new post saying they agree with it (I do that too sometimes lol) which is kinda a waste of space in my opinion. But this way you can just thumbs up it to show your agreement/support or disapproval. What do you guys think?

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Go to the top of the page
Princess-Mariah
post Apr 19 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

yeah i think so

--------------------

I myself... am afraid to take the journey into highschool but after watching OHSHC it made me notice...
you never do know what will happen but something good always will :)

~~~~~~
MyaMeOhMy
wkw427
post Apr 20 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

So, take a feature that Google messed up and put it on the forums?
No.. If you want to spear censored all over this forum, change the thread/user ratings to 'like or dislike'

Like the thread rating, it would never be used.

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
humbu111
post Apr 20 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Uhmm... what ?? =S

And actually most topics do have a rating. Plus its not the same thing, a topic is too broad alot of the time to give a rating, there might be some parts of it you like and some you dont. A post is obviously much shorter so its way easier to decide if you like or dislike it. Also its not like everyone's gonna like or dislike every post, I'm assuming most posts would be neutral to most people. It would mostly be for posts that someone particularly agrees/likes or disagrees with.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 20 2010, 5:23 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I'm not too big of a fan. Because, just like in youtube, it can be used to 'Thumb down' topics, just because you happen to not like the one posting. Yeah.... not something I want happening here.
Jahnavi
post Apr 20 2010, 5:47 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, having a Thumbs Down feature doesn't sound that appealing to me. I mean, at least with a post you can explain why you don't like/agree with something, and it seems more polite, imo, to do that, than to just offhandedly say you dislike something.

This post has been edited by Jahnavi: Apr 20 2010, 6:07 AM

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
P-girl
post Apr 20 2010, 6:49 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, and if someone has a problem with my opinions or viewpoints, I'd rather have them say so in my face (Or with PM, if they really don't want to make it public) then with anonymous voting.
Jahnavi
post Apr 20 2010, 6:57 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Ooh, I forgot that it would anonymous. Then I *really* stand by my first post. I can take critique, disapproval, disagreement, etc., but I'd like to know who is against my post and why.

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Apr 20 2010, 7:10 AM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I am not sure about it, it doesn't promote as much discussion and is open to abuse. However it could be useful when trying to find good information on winx. On youtube example its used to rate videos so people can choose a good video rather than a bad one so is more helpful.

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
P-girl
post Apr 20 2010, 7:15 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

How can a topic discussing opinions be good or bad? Also, doesn't youtube work with stars? Y'know, that system we already have?

This post has been edited by P-girl: Apr 20 2010, 7:18 AM
Jahnavi
post Apr 20 2010, 8:00 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

Ytube's recently added like/thumbs up and dislike/thumbs down features~ {That's one thing I appreciate about Fbook. They only introduced a like button, not a dislike one.}

--------------------
W.I.N.X
post Apr 20 2010, 8:20 AM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

I agree that I think peole should actually clarify why they like the post or not, but perhaps we could incorporate a rule, or really more of a what-you-should-do-or-be-frowned-upon thing. Another forum I visit has a no two word post rule because they're pretty pointless. We should probably have something like that here. Yes, it may be difficult for particularly young memers(we've had a couple of 8-yeard-olds here haven't we?), but, even though it sounds unfair, they should try another forum before they can come to one with actual discussion.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
mightymarty2
post Apr 20 2010, 9:34 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

what about what song are listening too nickelback someday (2 words)

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Administrator
post Apr 20 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #14

Mythix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Site Admins

Unfortunately (in my own opinion as a forum admin), this shouldn't be implemented and/or enabled (at least for now).

First of all, the server that hosts this forum is getting pretty bogged down. The forum script itself is already CPU intensive and adding support for thumbs up/down (or Like) (or reputation) requires the forum to make a few more queries. Also, we changed hosts like 4 or 5 times and we seriously wish that we do not have to migrate again because it's really cumbersome to prepare everything and we have to wait for the DNS servers to sync and the downtime and disabling attachments and whatsoever.

Second, like some members said, it's a little too opaque, you don't really know who's actually disagreeing with you and you might never know who is behind that -1 rating. Unlike a blog, this is a forum, you can reply to the poster if you disagree with the poster's opinion. (Unlike a blog, which is rather difficult to reply to the original poster)

Of course, that is my two cents and you can always reply if you disagree with my statements.

--------------------
mcfo...@live.com
wkw427
post Apr 20 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

On another forum I go to, they had a "rep" system. you could give people rep, or remove it based on how many rep you had to begin with.
It was all anonymous, but people signed their rep messages and people started to hate eachother.

Whereas if there were reputation that allowed comments, was public, but you could only give rep instead of take it away, it would be good.

But I still think it is a bad idea anyhow

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
Jahnavi
post Apr 20 2010, 1:28 PM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy

It was all anonymous, but people signed their rep messages and people started to hate each other.

Exactly why I don't want this whole like/dislike feature. That's the kind of thing I'm afraid of~

--------------------
humbu111
post Apr 20 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

I dunno, if the majority of the members dont want to then I guess there's no point in having a feature like that. But I dont think many people are gonna hate, I was thinking of it more as a positive thing in which you show your support. For example in like a discussion topic about Winx if someone makes a really good point that you agree with, you could like their post. But thats just my opinion, like I said if yall dont want it there's not much point.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 21 2010, 5:21 AM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

If someone makes a good point, you can say so in a post. We even have a thumbs up smiley. (And a thumbs down one, if someone really wants to.)
humbu111
post Apr 21 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

Lol that goes back to my first post here, that making a whole new post just to say you agree or disagree is a waste and can be annoying to anyone checking new posts. But whatever, I'm not gonna and obviously cant impose this on everyone lol.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 21 2010, 2:30 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy

Well, it would be a good incentive to get more eloquent in bringing your opinions. Stating arguments and reasons for your like/dislike or something.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM