Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Add Reply
> Anime and cartoons; which one do you prefer?, Discuss!
Boo
post Feb 7 2009, 4:51 AM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Hmmm... I may have an unpopular opinion here, but I dislike anime.

It's moreso the typical show content then animation style... though the drawing style does tend to bug me for no good reason at all. I think the reason I have a problem with it goes back to when I first viewed an anime program in whole (it involved being partially incoherent at one o'clock in the morning along with a bunch of my friends at age 12 or 13 or so... The anime, as I remember, was rated M and I wasn't supposed to be watching it, but since it was on the TV, I couldn't help it (mind you I was half asleep). Long story short: it scared me greatly.)

What also unnerves me about it is the fact that it's definition even includes: usually contains explicit and/or violent material... Personally, if I was the viewer, I wouldn't care, but my younger sibling is the one who watches anime, so I constantly feel the need to monitor what she is viewing because of the cartoon's usual nature, and that contributes to my dislike for it.

Another note: Since I've grown up surrounded by western style animation, I'm accustomed to it, so, I would pick it over anime. Although I do like the fact that most anime is detailed versus some very, very plain western style cartoons, I would still have to pick what I'm used to.

So really, my opinions shouldn't be considered valid for discussion or such, since it has been tainted with personal experience rather then approaching the question from a logical and/or unbiased standpoint.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Go to the top of the page
Zhanneel
post Feb 7 2009, 5:43 AM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

(This got a lot longer than what I expected to write...not exactly a rant, just a clarification. Sorry it's so long!)

It's funny how much I agree with you on what you just said. I also haven't been a major fan of anime, but I will say there are a small collection I have grown to like or even love--but it has to go under much scrutiny before I'm willing to admit I like it. There's the good anime (which I tend to think of as nice animation coupled with good plot/dialogue), bad anime (stuff that just makes you want to bang your head because it's so cheap/stupid/lame/corny/uncreative/etc), and the unmentionable stuff (which is what really gives anime its bad name--lots of stupid adult anime that I don't appreciate at all). One group, Studio Ghibli, along with Hayao Miyazaki, have saved the whole franchise for me. Though he's not exactly anime style, he's not quite Western either. I'd say a good mix, and I really like it too.

My contention with anime has to do with the bad ones ruining it for the good ones. And more often than not it's the bad ones that get talked about and watched too often. I gave up looking for good anime when all I could find were ones that disappointed me in more ways than one. The Japanese animation style is okay, but there are things that bother me personally (i.e. big googly eyes--just never been a fan). But then there are things I like about anime, such as detail, like you said Boo. After that it's the cheap eye candy for guys, the high amount of drama, and reoccurring plots that do it in for me (no offense if anyone does happen to like these things). Not that Western animation doesn't have its equal faults either, but because I grew up on it for the most part it's what I've come to love. I can respect anime and even grow to love some of it, but I don't think it will ever win me over. The creators would have to make some pretty big changes to do that, and I doubt they're willing to do that for the people like me sitting on the fence still debating.

As to why I like Western style cartoons so much I think a lot of it has to do with the more realistic proportions the characters typically have. Not too many characters with legs that go on for miles, or dangerously spiky hair (though sometimes I do like the hair styles of anime ^_^), chest sizes that look ridiculous on anorexic-looking females, and faces that have unrealistic features or no features and look almost all the same (i.e. pointy noses, huge eyes). Now, if an anime is done well I'm not one to hold the animation style against it. After all, it is nice to watch anime sometimes if only because it is so different from what I'm used to watching and seeing. But I like to watch Western animation because the people tend to seem more human to me, feature-wise. I think a lot of people may find that boring, which is maybe why so many people watch anime. However, I'm worried that some people who watch anime may get a little brainwashed into thinking what people are supposed to look like. Let's just say I have a male friend in real life who will probably never have a girlfriend because he's standards aren't real and I'm not even sure he appreciates what real women look like. X_X I actually like that it's normal and "boring", because that's how I look in real life. Again, I know there's some Western animation that doesn't really look realistic and there's some anime that actually detours away from the "fantasy"-like style I've come to correlate to anime. I'm actually hoping more animes start to blend more animation styles like I've seen recently.

Anyway, I hope that all made sense and that I didn't offend anyone. It's really all just personal things that bug me, but I can respect both styles.
Asher Omega
post Feb 7 2009, 7:30 AM
Post #23

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

I can understand being mentally scarred from watching something you shouldn't. I can't watch the (In)Famous Anime classic Akira because of one scene that I watched while I was eight. I had nightmares for weeks after that. doesn't stop me from watching some really good stuff. I mean there are western (and some european) animations that I absolutely love, but one thing I tend to lean towards is more plot wise. I can stand some "imperfections" as long as the story is very engaging. but if its got a boring story and a very stylized animation that revolts me I won't watch it no matter who or what recommends it. but there are a few exceptions to some of my personal preferences. I like plot, but sometimes I just want to watch something that just doesn't need complex thought and let my brain relax.

One anime that I love, but just about everyone I've shown it to has been really displaced by it. its name is Cromartie High. the animation style is very realistic (by japan's animation standards) and yet the plot is very convoluted. the main character joins a high school that is full of delinquents. and it just takes off and runs with it. another that like is the movie/series Ghost in the Shell, its got some stylization but its sometimes within reason.

Some of the western animation that I like is the Old Disney movies, the one I've most recently watched is The Black Cauldron. yes its based off a book series, but its still very good. I don't really watch much western animation lately mostly due to the way its being made. yes its realistic looking but how the characters interact feels very 2 dimensional to me. I could honestly predict how the show was going to go within 5 minutes of the intro. not that there are exceptions to that, but its mostly of the more recent era of western animation that I can do that with.

and in case anyone was wondering what Cromartie looks like here's the intro. and yes they are drawn like that all the way through the anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7kMlgCqLw

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
MorriganAensland
post Feb 7 2009, 2:26 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

Well, you do raise a very good point about anime, Boo. The problem is many Westerners don't seem to grasp that many anime are *not* intended for children, and yet people pick them up anyways. I've heard of stories both of parents getting the adult versions of Ninja Scroll OR the Devilman OVA for their little kids.

You can't just pick a show randomly and hope it work. That's why at my mom's library, you have to be eighteen to take out any of our anime DVDs if they're in their own section.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Zhanneel
post Feb 7 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #25

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I watched parts of that youtube clip Asher. Very interesting drawing style. I like =). It's different, an interesting take on realism. Good example of an anime that doesn't conform to the typical drawing style. I think the Black Cauldron and I know for sure Sleeping Beauty practiced a little bit of rotoscoping which helped make the characters' movements look more realistic. I always kind of liked that effect. Now I'm getting very nostalgic for old 2D Disney =(.
Boo
post Feb 7 2009, 3:33 PM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't care for it much.
(By the way, don't worry about "talking too much", I'm 100% positive that I do it a lot here too. I blame these fingers for giving me the ability to type faster then I should.) icon_razz.gif

I agree about it being realistic, though I have seen a vast many western cartoons that aren't. I could spend days ranting about how oddly drawn and crudely inappropriate some cartoons on stations such as Cartoon Network and such are, but I'll spare you all of that. There are some gems, though, that have a good drawing style and an alright plot. I really haven't seen a cartoon I couldn't nitpick at, though (but that's probably just me).

I know what you mean by most not being for children (I know first-hand by seeing that anime on late-night TV when I was younger... definitely not for someone under the age of 16.) By definition, I don't think it's supposed to be geared for the under 11 age group... and that's why I worry. Currently, my sibling is obsessed with Sailor Moon (watching it constantly on youtube), and even with that, there is some inappropriate content she probably shouldn't be viewing. I'm also afraid that she might get curious and click another anime video other then Sailor Moon, and who knows what the rating on it would be (it's youtube...) This constant monitoring gives me more distaste for it, really... which is probably unfair in some respect, to the genre, since I'm not giving it much of a chance...

Ah, good old Disney movies... I grew up with those. (I was one of those children that was just obsessed with Disney movies.... The Lion King, the Little Mermaid, you name it.) icon_razz.gif Too bad they never really regained that magic that they held with their classics.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Zhanneel
post Feb 7 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #27

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

*still obsessed with Disney* That's why I can't wait for the 2D Princess and the Frog movie. Probably their last 2D movie ever....=(. Guess I'll just have to watch all of their previous movies over and over to get that classic Disney nostalgia.
AndYouAreTheOne
post Jun 27 2009, 3:29 AM
Post #28

Charmix Fairy

QUOTE (Zentron @ Jan 30 2009, 12:47 PM) *
Well I am an Anime fan-boy, but I still watch shows that have been American animated, or French, or Italian, even Russian! But they hardly ever amaze like Anime does!

Also.... I had best change the name of the topic to 'Zen's Fan & Original'!! (mods/admins, please change topic to this title please!)

I agree. I watch shows from everywhere, but anime has some of the best artwork.
winxclub-joy
post Jun 27 2009, 6:25 AM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy

I like both cartoons and animes, but I would prefer cartoons more if you ask me.

Cartoons has different type of styles, while anime remains almost the same. And Boo, I'm also one of the Disney fan who grows up with Disney classical movies! While Anime just sticks with fantasy and some other.....erm genre.

I'm totally into disney traditional animations, which they have to hand draw frame by frame and use paint to paint it. It's beautiful, even though it's tiring.

So far, the only anime which was on my top fave is Romeo X Juliet, you can't blame me cause I love romance, and their storyline! It's totally a fairytale story but with anime style xD

There is always some combination between anime and cartoons you see.......Winx Club is kinda one of them, well I mean they drawing style and features, and yeah I meant their bodies.

--------------------
Lunar Princess
post Jun 27 2009, 4:52 PM
Post #30

Enchantix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I am an anime-lover, though I am not obsessed. I do love it, mind you. I think anime is better for those who are a little old for cartoons but still sort of like them. For those anime is a great option. a.k.a. me. Though I still watch some cartoons. lol. :)

--------------------
P-girl
post Jun 27 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy

*Sigh* Why do cartoons get the 'Kiddie' staple? Some of them aren't even meant for kids! And I ain't talking about the stuff like South Park or Family Guy..... ever saw 'Waltz with Bashir'? It's a documentary made with animation, and it's not for kids..... at all.
Lunar Princess
post Jun 27 2009, 8:42 PM
Post #32

Enchantix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Jun 27 2009, 01:45 PM) *
*Sigh* Why do cartoons get the 'Kiddie' staple? Some of them aren't even meant for kids! And I ain't talking about the stuff like South Park or Family Guy..... ever saw 'Waltz with Bashir'? It's a documentary made with animation, and it's not for kids..... at all.

This is true. I was thinking along the lines of "saturday cartoons". But you're right, even those never get old. lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

--------------------
P-girl
post Jun 27 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #33

Cosmix Fairy

That's okay, I'm just a bit bitter because in most forums I used to go to, Anime was regarded superior to Western animation..... to the degree they didn't take me seriously for loving Western animation (Not even Disney got a pass! Nor Pixar.)
Boo
post Aug 11 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #34

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Jun 27 2009, 08:45 PM) *
That's okay, I'm just a bit bitter because in most forums I used to go to, Anime was regarded superior to Western animation..... to the degree they didn't take me seriously for loving Western animation (Not even Disney got a pass! Nor Pixar.)

*thread is revived*

Not even Pixar?!
I'm sorry, but most adults I know enjoy Pixar just as much as the kids I know. It seems that every movie they produce is seemingly flawless and always enjoyable... that, and most of them seem to convey a beneficial message.

Psh, you must be dealing with some extremely-obsessed Anime fans. laugh.gif
Just kidding, of course... But really, they should watch a Pixar movie or two.

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Aug 11 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy

I think the problem is that, aside from Pixar and a few select cartoons like Samurai Jack, most Western cartoons really are lacking a certain element. You have to admit, a *lot* of series are made for cheap merchandising ploys and it's painfully obvious.

--------------------

humbu111
post Aug 11 2009, 1:21 AM
Post #36

Cosmix Fairy

Not to get into any deep discussion lol but I prefer cartoons. I'm not a fan of the anime drawing style.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Asher Omega
post Aug 11 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #37

Butterflix Fairy

I watch both but I prefer "Anime" mostly because I'm watching for plot. that or just plain to zone out. There are animes out there that get fairly realistic and those tend to have really indepth plots that I prefer. although those also tend to have very disturbing concepts. or they're just not meant for people younger than the age of 15. GTO springs to mind on the latter. I don't have a problem with either but Western animation tends to be aimed more at younger audiences or (in some cases) being a form of political satire. I don't watch any live action stuff from the east mostly because its plain weird.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
winxclubrox23
post Aug 11 2009, 4:45 AM
Post #38

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

I love cartoons! I've never really been an anime fan, probably has something to do with it.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
P-girl
post Aug 11 2009, 8:36 AM
Post #39

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (MorriganAensland @ Aug 11 2009, 12:43 AM) *
I think the problem is that, aside from Pixar and a few select cartoons like Samurai Jack, most Western cartoons really are lacking a certain element. You have to admit, a *lot* of series are made for cheap merchandising ploys and it's painfully obvious.

That isn't always a bad thing, Transformers Animated, Season 3's a good example. Character depth, drama, adult issues like death or abuse. (Just watch 'Predacons rising'. That episode moved me to tears. It's painful to see someone who's hunted down, finally thinking he found himself a friend and like-wise spirit hearing that said 'friend' was just using him, probably killing him in the process. 'Spiderbot not Waspinator friend?' is a very harrowing quote, particulary with the on-the-verge-of-crying intonation. )
MorriganAensland
post Aug 11 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #40

Cosmix Fairy

Well, Transformers Animated is an exception and it's one of those series that is more than just a cash-in. Yes, Transformers has toys to sell, but the writers are not using that as an excuse to get away with crummy scripts. For the most part, the reason why a number of merchandise-driven series stand out and succeed is simply because they had determined writers that made sure it wasn't crap. Like Transformers, Pretty Cure could have tanked *fast* but it's now the longest-running Magic Girl series out there.

--------------------

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:20 AM