Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> The SoulTaker, An anime I love so very, very much
MorriganAensland
post Jul 24 2009, 2:40 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

The SoulTaker, as it is spelled in the English lettering of the opening, was a thirteen-episode anime series that ran in 2001, created by Tatsunoko Productions. The director was the devout Gundam fan Akiyuki Shinbo, who would later on direct the first season of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha which would later prove to be ridiculously popular in spite of her fairly niche origins.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

SoulTaker is, well, it is a very unusual horror story that begins in a deserted church, with our young hero Kyosuke Date rushing to his mother Mio's aid after she has been critically injured by unseen attackers. Fearing for his mother's life, Kyosuke flees to find help only to be called back to his mother's side, where she promptly plants a dagger in his heart and kills him.

Yep. Our first scene with our hero and he's dead. And this isn't one of those "in media res" stories either. Nope, it's complicated enough.

Before long however, Kyosuke is dug up from a coffin and rescued by a girl named Maya. He has no memory of what happened or why he's still alive, and the only momento he got from the experience was a scar on his chest. Returning to the graveyard to try to find out the truth, he is accosted by a man and a young woman dressed up like a doctor and a nurse, claiming to be from "The Hospital" and out for his blood. Kyosuke is rescued by resident badass Shiro Mibu, who begins explaining things to Kyosuke. It turns out that there are two villainous organizations out there, each with their own interests in Kyosuke's missing sister Runa -a sister he has no memory of-, and the Hospital was one of them. The other was the Kirihara Group, a powerful corporation whose president is a mere figurehead, while vice president and heiress to the company Yui pulls the strings. Although it is never explained how per-se, it is revealed Maya is in fact a "Flicker", a fragment of Runa's Soul given form and a mind of its own.

Before long, Shiro swoops Kyosuke away to rescue Maya, battling bizarre monsters of both the Kirihara Group and "doctors" of the Hospital, only for Kyosuke to seemingly die again but then transform into the demonic creature the Kirihara Group would dub "The SoulTaker". Finding out Maya is in another lab, Kyosuke resolves, with the help of Shiro, to track down and save not just her and his sister Runa, but all the Flickers so they can live in peace.

The next few episodes serve to introduce us to the main cast, including the mysterious traveling doctor Richard Vincent and the Hospital nurse Komugi, who provides much of the humor in this series. Kyosuke during this time finds several Flickers, saving their live... and then...

Episode six happens.

Episode six is the first of the WHAM Episodes of the series, which turns many premises on their head and it's not the last either. The story is very surprising at points and you can't really see the plot twists coming, simply because it keeps revealing more information about the world of SoulTaker to you as time goes on. From there on out there's a great deal of surprising battles, with Kyosuke struggling against stronger enemies and finding out the reason he revived himself, along with reasons for both the Hospital and the Kirihara Group's interest in Runa. Shiro did not stumble into this story either... in fact, nobody did.

SoulTaker is a visually unique series as well, using a variety of weird angles and metaphors through its story. The image of individuals weeping blood or standing in front of large stain glassed windows occurs a lot, for instance. This is also a series you REALLY need to pay attention in. The series is crazy enough and you need to understand very little of this series is filler. Nearly every character, every scene, every line, is crucial to the plot and many events only become more confusing if you don't pay attention.

That being said, the series is quite pleasing aesthetically, with some solid character designs, a good line-up of voice actors. The series is thankfully very short and there really isn't a series out there like it. Some have compared it to "Devilman Meets Evangelion", except Devilman was straight-up horror/anti-war, while Evangelion was an adventure determined by the whims of a depressed man who decided to screw over viewers with a lot of confusing imagery and not explaining stuff. SoulTaker, at any rate, DOES give us a fairly concise ending that, even if you don't understand what exactly happened, you know things will be alright.

It's a great series, really, and I highly advise it to anyone with four and a half hours to spend one lazy afternoon. It's easy enough to find online, and you won't be disappointed.

This post has been edited by MorriganAensland: Jul 25 2009, 2:16 AM

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
Ranma
post Sep 10 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

Looks up. I've been raving about this anime for years. It's about time someone else talks about it for a change ^_^

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Sep 12 2009, 3:33 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

My next project after I finish Shin Minako is going to be an elaborate crossover between WITCH, Nanoha StrikerS, SoulTaker, and Super Robot Wars.

It is going to be awesome.

--------------------

Ranma
post Sep 14 2009, 2:47 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Morrigan. I highly recommend that you watch Kara no Kyoukai. It's an anime adaption of the novel that is considered the prototype to Tsukihime. It's really good. The art and animation are great, and the music is amazing.

The main protagonist is a girl named Ryougi Shiki. She has the mystic eyes of death perception, and she's also an ex-serial killer. The other main protagonist is Kokuto Mikiya; her "kind of" boy friend. He can't fight at all, but he's really intelligent and he likes to see the good in people. (Tohno Shiki is actually a combination of these two characters.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_eWjCkBpTw...feature=related

Oh yeah, have you finished Tsukihime yet? When you finish all the routes you get "Eclipse" which is Shiki's true ending.

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Sep 14 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

V_V No, haven't gotten around to it.

Between school, SRW, the SRW RP, and then all the other RPs here, plus my writings there's a lot that has higher priority for me.

... I should be able to chew through Akiha's route come Thanksgiving though.

--------------------

Ranma
post Sep 15 2009, 7:09 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Akiha's route was actually my favorite. People that hate her usually stop hating her after playing through that route. I heard her route might get a rewrite in the Tsukihime remake though.

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Sep 15 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Why?

I know the one ending it that implied that Shiki got killed got retconned by a short story or something.

But I'll keep that in mind. And it's not that I *hate* Akiha, far from it. I more view her as a little girl trying her darndest to be a big girl and protect her big brother.

--------------------

Ranma
post Sep 16 2009, 1:35 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Nasu said that he wasn't satisfied with it. It's not so much the endings, but the entire route he's changing I think. Also, the ending where Shiki "died" (Yeah, in Kagetsu Tohya it was cleared up), is no where near as sad as the ending where they both lived. I was practically clutching my moniter "WHY? WHY?!"

--------------------
Cloud9
post Sep 16 2009, 3:38 AM
Post #9

Mythix Fairy

Curse you, Morrigan. I have homework and a zillion other things to do, and now I'm addicted to watching another anime. It is pretty good though, and I can see why they equate this with Evangelion.
MorriganAensland
post Sep 16 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

It's thirteen episodes. What's the worst that can happen?

--------------------

Cloud9
post Sep 16 2009, 1:40 PM
Post #11

Mythix Fairy

Famous last words. I like the opening song, though.
Ranma
post Sep 17 2009, 3:05 AM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

Um...SoulTaker is nothing like NGE. I hated NGE but I loved SoulTaker.

Also, you should watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies as well. If only to hear Kokuto sing Singing in the Rain in engrish. I actually quite like it.

Here is a random amv that I just found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXGdtsq4hM

great animation in this anime. I love it.

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Sep 17 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

Well, I draw that comparison due to all the Christian imagery going around, the screwy context of a lot of scenes, and how for a very long time you don't really uunderstand exactly what's going on.

--------------------

Ranma
post Mar 14 2010, 4:57 AM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

Lol, I knew exactly what was going on...but I'm an evil genius.

I'M NOT CRAZY!!!

On another note, there is a joke spinoff series about Komugi. I heard that they almost put Komugi in Tatsunoko vs Capcom. It's a pity that they decided not to.

--------------------

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:36 PM