Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> The King Of Braves: Gaogaigar, What happens when you mix Transformers with old-school Super Robots
MorriganAensland
post Sep 4 2008, 1:59 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

What happens after you make an anime like Evangelion, deconstructing all that the Super Robot genre held dear? A lot of dark, angsty, and moody Super Robot series that tried to follow in Evangelion's footsteps.

... And then GaoGaiGar came along and said "Screw that!" and returned the genre to its roots, where enough courage combined with enough big robots can save the day.

The last of the "Braves" metaseries made from the people that brought you Gundam and the people responsible for the original Generation 1 Transformers action figures, GaoGaiGar's the one that stands out the most. Mankind in the future is under attack by the enigmatic, technology-assimilating Zonders, and their only hope is the Gutsy Geoid Guard, an elite organization sponsored by the government.

The titular robot, GaoGaiGar, is actually a set of three parts. First, is the mysterious alien robot lion Galeon, and the astronaut that discovered him, Gai Shishioh. They can unite to form "GaiGar", which then receives additional equipment from the Gao Machines: a stealth bomber, bullet train, and driller, to form GaoGaiGar. Gai serves as one of the two main protagonists in the series, while the young boy Mamoru serves as the other. Essentially, the Zonders use humans as the core of their machines, and Gai's duty is to free them, after which Mamoru can restore them to their proper mindset.

The other robots are those in the vein of the Autobots, mainly there to serve as support craft for GaoGaiGar, although they all can fight, and usually do. The most famous of them is probably Mic Sounders (the teeny one that looks like a jukebox), who you're tempted not to take seriously... until you watch him transform to combat mode and pretty much an unstoppable entity that could destroy the planet just with the *spillover* of his attacks.

The series starts out as pretty standard-fare, as it was meant to just sell merchandise. But around the middle point through, the directors realize that a lot of older viewers liked the story, and so the hot-blooded nature of the series goes into overdrive, and the story and the acting become amazing. The series then gets numerous manga sequels, an audio drama, a sequel OVA series (GaoGaiGar FINAL), appearances in a few Super Robot Wars games, and a spin-off (Betterman).

P-Girl and anyone else into Transformers, I strongly advise you look into this. The cast is huge, and the characters are all very deep and there are plenty of interesting plot-twists.

And where else are you going to see a man yell out "Titanium Head DRIIIIIIIVEEEEEEER!!!!!" while bashing in the heads of zombies with a golf club?

Answer? You can't. Because GaoGaiGar's the only show cool enough to have that.

Oh, and Gai is voiced by the guy that did Teppei in B't X. That's always a plus.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Sep 4 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

sounds decent to good, when/if I get time I may watch it

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Asher Omega
post Sep 4 2008, 8:52 PM
Post #3

Butterflix Fairy

I might watch it after I finish with my GitS obsession and after I (Finally) finish watching Gurren Lagann.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
MorriganAensland
post Sep 4 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Ah... Gurren-Lagann. Made by the same people that made Evangelion after GaoGaiGar was made, mainly to just say "Yeah. We get the message. Being hot-blooded CAN accomplish lots of things."

... Although the whole "Spiral" idea is more akin to Getter Robo's Getter Rays, a force that can bring out rapidly accelerated evolution, even to machines.

--------------------

Asher Omega
post Sep 4 2008, 9:05 PM
Post #5

Butterflix Fairy

and don't forget they just tossed in symbolism just to confuse people.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
MorriganAensland
post Sep 4 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Well, the biggest ironic tidbit is the fact that the crescent-moon thing on GL's head is a homage towards Zambot 3, the very first Kill'em All anime Tomino ever made.

--------------------

Asher Omega
post Sep 5 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #7

Butterflix Fairy

actually Gurren Lagann is the successful one. its also a throwback to gainax's origins. after Gainax got famous (Daicon 4 thing) I think the first series/OVA they made was Gunbuster. I'm not sure how to classify it either as a realistic or a super robot. the six ep. anime was low on any psychological babble and more action oriented. anyway back to Gurren Lagann, they actually lost one of the starting members of Gainax because of it. (you actually see physical evidence of it, specifically ep. 3)

--------------------

blargblargblargblarg.
MorriganAensland
post Sep 5 2008, 1:32 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

I know. It's really a shame when you think about it... on the side of both the fans and crew of the show.

And Gunbuster's a blatant Super Robot. Only thing real about it is how they treated the theory of relativity. The Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 video of it proves that.

But first, GaoGaiGar's Alpha 2 appearance.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

And as for Gunbuster, like I said before...

Note the baseball bat at 2:05. At about 4:20, it shows the cinema scene that occurs before the last level if you take the "Gunbuster" path... where you fight Keisar Ephes... who I have a strong suspicion is really the Oracle from WITCH. But that's neither for this place or this time.

And of course, by Alpha 3, they'd put GaoGaiGar FINAL in it, so you get Genesic GaoGaiGar and the Goldion Crusher... a hammer capable of destroying the Sun.

--------------------

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:39 PM