Add Reply
> Twilight Discussion, For or against?
W.I.N.X
post Dec 16 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #81

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Yes! Snark the heck out of them!

Although P-Girl, I've met rabids who think the whole birthing scene is so romantic and cool that Edward is saving her life. My respect for those people died a little when I heard that.

And re:Jacob falling in love with a baby, that creeped me out alot as well, although SMeyer claims it's not romantic until she's old enough. I don't think she realizes what child-grooming is O.O. Ahd considering the kid will basically be a seven-year-old in an eighteen-year-old's body when she's 'old enough'.....yick.

This post has been edited by W.I.N.X: Dec 16 2009, 12:49 PM

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post Dec 16 2009, 2:20 PM
Post #82

Cosmix Fairy

Ayup, Meyers got some sick, sick ideas. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind some unfit stuff in my book (Granted, some things go to far, but you get my point.....), but most of the times it's portrayed as wrong and just plain vile. Myers portrays it as Romantic and a nice thing to do!

No.... just..... no.....

And this is what the teenage girls (People who're quite vulnerable and impressionable, especially concerning romance and it's values) read nowadays? I fear for the literary world.....
Another Morning
post Dec 16 2009, 2:40 PM
Post #83

Cosmix Fairy

Speaking of Twilight recaps and whatnot, cleolinda on livejournal did some hilarious discussions and reviews http://cleoland.pbworks.com/Twilight I'd recommend it, as it basically expresses my exact same opinions. (Also, somewhere in there is a link to Growing Up Cullen, which is kind of adult but it's the funniest frigging thing I've read in my life)

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Jahnavi
post Dec 16 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #84

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

QUOTE (P-girl @ Dec 16 2009, 07:20 PM) *
And this is what the teenage girls (people who're quite vulnerable and impressionable, especially concerning romance and it's values) read nowadays? I fear for the literary world...

One of my friends on Fbook had used an application that lets you list the "Best Books Of The Decade", and, yup, you guessed it, her list was:

1. Twilight
2. New Moon
3. Eclipse
4. Breaking Dawn
5. Midnight Sun

God, I facepalm'd so hard. xP

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Jahnavi
post Dec 16 2009, 3:39 PM
Post #85

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Dec 16 2009, 07:20 PM) *
And this is what the teenage girls (people who're quite vulnerable and impressionable, especially concerning romance and it's values) read nowadays? I fear for the literary world...

One of my friends on Fbook had used an application that lets you list the "Best Books Of The Decade", and, yup, you guessed it, her list was:

1. Twilight
2. New Moon
3. Eclipse
4. Breaking Dawn
5. Midnight Sun

God, I facepalm'd so hard. xP

--------------------
Jahnavi
post Dec 21 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #86

Cosmix Fairy

So...drum-roll, please...here's my chapter-by-chapter S Meyer's Twilight series. Okay, that didn't really deserve a drum-roll, but still... xD

Anyway, I remember actually liking this series at first, before bland main characters and obsessive fan-girls pushed me over the edge, so I thought I'd give the books another shot, and I wanted to share my opinion with you guys.

Note: (Constructive) criticism is always welcome. But please keep it polite, and keep it sensible. I'm sorry if you and I don't share opinions, just don't read these reviews then.

So, anyway, let's get this show on the road. =D

(Preface and) Chapter One:

Wow, it really must've been a while since I first read this book, because I read the nine sentences of the preface, turned the page, and then actually checked if a page had fallen out, or something, because the preface seriously felt incomplete to me. If she was going for a cliffhanger, it really didn't have the desired effect. But maybe that's just me. Anyway, while the hunter smiled in a friendly way as he sauntered forward to kill Bella, I turned the page and started on the first chapter.
What I pretty much got from all of the chapter First Sight can be summarized into four simple words: Bella whines a lot. And no, I'm not trying to trash the book, if that's what you're thinking. It's just that Meyer pretty much displays that character trait of Bella in every other sentence she writes. And if you read on, I'll explain later how this is QED.
Anyway, the story starts with our heroine leaving her mother, and big, bright, warm Phoenix, Arizona, bound for the cold, dark, "inconsequential" town of Forks, in Washington, to move in with her Dad. The whining starts there too. Miss Swan never ceases to remind us of how she's making a big sacrifice by moving to Forks. and frequently complains about her decision. She clearly doesn't want to go to Forks, and is dreading going to school there. Sacrifices are hard, but Bella mentions it far too many times; it becomes really annoying. She's mentioned how much she doesn't want to live in Forks at least eight individual times. Yes, I counted. But if you're going to make a sacrifice, if you really want to, accept your unfortunate fate, and then BE QUIET ABOUT IT. If she's trying to gain my pity, the exact opposite is happening. I thought she was seventeen, not seven. And it would help if S Meyer explains exactly why she's leaving her mom. Since I've read the book before, I think I recall the reason coming up later in the story, but for now, at least, it seems pretty vague, which makes all that complaining entirely baseless.
Anyway, Bella lands in Washington, and the next few pages basically consist of a conversation with her dad. Her father's bought her a truck, and registered her for high school. Nice of him. Bella's relatively grateful, but sounded kind fo weird to me, in a couple of places. One of them is just before she lands in Port Angeles, where's she generally introducing us to who Charlie is. She says, "He [Charlie] seemed genuinely pleased that I was coming to live with him..."
Dude, he's your dad. Of course he's pleased! I doubt he has any ulterior motives.
Oh, and later, when he says he's found a car for her, she has this to say:
"I was suspicious of the way he say "good car for you", as opposed to just "good car"."
Again, why is she so suspicious of her father? Is she trying to convince us he's Police Chief Swan by day, cat burglar by night, or something...?
???
Moving on...
So they're driving through Forks, and all the green-ness scares Bella, apparently. She thinks Forks is "too green", even to the extent of saying, "Even the air filtered down greenly through the trees."
Okay, I am at a loss for witty comments. That sentence just made me go: "Uh, whaaaaaat...?"
...Anyway, Bella gets home, and starts to unpack. While doing so, she whines some more about the next day, just filling us all in on how much she's dreading starting high school at Forks. Oh, joy. She "stares dejectedly out of the window for a little while" and adds, "I wasn't in the mood to go on a real crying jag. I would save that for bedtime..." Two pages later, as promised: "I didn't sleep well that night, even after I was done crying."
Like I said before, being a little too dramatic, aren't we?
The next day, Bella's horrible high-school ordeal begins. Bella constantly acts like she's making a big sacrifice, but never really mentions what she had to leave behind in Phoenix. She must miss her mom, that's understandable. But other than that? Says she didn't fit in there, in fact. So what difference does it make if she starts out at a new school? She should look at the situation with a little more optimism. And if she thinks Forks High School is particularly unpleasant, it's partly her fault. Bella says she didn't find a niche to fit into in her last school, and I can see why. She doesn't bother to remember new classmates' names, jumps to conclusions about people without even getting to know them, mentions at least twice that she's already covered a lot of the coursework. Courtesy only goes so far, Bella. So many of the kids at school are friendly and genuinely helpful, and after all the complaining Bella's done about starting school here, I'd have thought she'd be grateful...
And finally...don't worry, I didn't leave this part out...she sees the Cullens in the cafeteria, at lunchtime. Of course, she's instantly enchanted by the strange, distant, beautiful group who didn't ever bother to give her a second glance before. Figures she'd be attracted by them, considering how she's been repulsed by anyone who's tried to be polite to her. She ends up sitting next to Edward Cullen in biology, surprise, surprise. However, he acts like he can't stand to be around her. (And frankly, from what I've learned about her so far, I don't blame the guy.) In fact, when she goes to the school office, at the end of the day, she finds Edward trying to switch out of the biology class he has with her. She can't believe someone who doesn't even know her could start to dislike her so easily. (So the way she's been acting towards her other classmates don't count, I expect). The chapter ends just the way it started, with Bella fighting back the urge to cry.
Like I said before, all this chapter has done is made me start to thoroughly dislike Bella's character, and we've only covered, what, 4% of the book? Wake me up when Jake, Alice or Emmett appear...

My take on Chapter Two will be up soon. And like I said before, comments are welcome. ^^

This post has been edited by Jahnavi: Dec 22 2009, 3:31 PM

--------------------
Another Morning
post Dec 22 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #87

Cosmix Fairy

Haha, nice, Jahn XD My mom looked at my funny because I kept laughing. And you pretty much had the same reactions I had when I first read it. Why does this girl complain so much? Why is she so disdainful of all these people who are trying to be nice to her? And from what I gathered, the whole move was self-imposed because she didn't want to travel around with her mom and her mom's new husband. So it's not like she can even complain that she was forced into it, she chose to move with her dad on her own. :/ Suck it up, Bella. Wilikers.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 8:36 AM