Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Rainbow fading away at Rainbow Magicland, Alfea (and all things Rainbow) to be removed
SpiderBraids
post Aug 3 2019, 5:00 PM
Post #1

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

A little more than a week ago, I spotted this tweet by BelieveTheWinx revealing the alarming news that Alfea Castle at Rainbow Magicland (which has been covered in Street View) is going to be dismantled ohmy.gif So I decided to dig a little deeper into the issue (mainly at theParks.it and ParksMania.it), and here's a summary of what I've discovered:
- Rainbow originally licensed out its properties to Alfa Park for 10 years from the park's opening, in May 2011. However, the park has accumulated substantial debt in the past few years (the article has then-current pictures of Alfea, and it's clear that it has seen better years) so last year it was sold to Pillarstone Italy, who plans to make substantial investments over the next 4 years
- Pillarstone announced at a press conference in January that (among other things) the agreement with Rainbow will not be renewed after it expires, so that means Rainbow Magicland will have to get rid of all Rainbow properties by 2021 (they've also slightly modified the park's logo, shrinking the size of the word "Rainbow" as if to downplay their presence; this album at the park's official Facebook clearly shows the difference)
- Even before Alfea's likely dismantling (apparently for some sort of space station theme?) the PopPixie-themed rides have already been re-themed to match their new jungle surroundings, and at most recent check, Alfea has already been fenced off, with patrons being funneled through a tunnel to get to the planetarium (the only remaining part of Alfea still operating)

Here's a video of a recent walking tour of Rainbow Magicland (cued to Alfea)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post Aug 4 2019, 8:50 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Looking at the situation there along with Italy's debt problems as a whole and its economy struggling. It does not surprise me that they are looking to cut costs, I would imagine that the deal was not cheap

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
SpiderBraids
post Jan 20 2020, 3:58 PM
Post #3

Bloomix Fairy

Latest updates on the Magicland situation:
- Their official Instagram posted an image announcing the transformation of Alfea into "Cosmo Academy" their new space-themed attraction. Comments, from what I've seen, have plenty of the expected eulogizing, one even asking (in Italian) "Did you realize that you are dismantling the Rainbow symbol?"
- Their very next IG post announced the expected official name change from Rainbow Magicland to just Magicland, replacing the rainbow and Alfea silhouette with their mascot, the rainbow-tailed cat Gattobaleno
- In a press release announcing the name change, Magicland also announced that there's a new restyling (I assume re-theming) coming for Pianeta Winx, while the Huntik 5D game ride will be refreshed with new FX (the ParksMania forum is speculating that Magicland has decided to continue licensing Huntik from Rainbow, as being lower-priced than re-theming)

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Feb 9 2020, 4:26 PM
Post #4

Bloomix Fairy

A moment of silence for Pianeta Winx and Alfea Castle icon_sad.gif Based on this video it looks like they're re-theming Pianeta Winx to a time-themed ride, and as already mentioned previously, Alfea is being renovated into Cosmo Academy (to go with the planetarium that's already been there since the beginning)

--------------------
Fortress Guy
post Mar 9 2020, 2:11 PM
Post #5

Harmonix Fairy

I can't help but think what a media empire Straffi was making, partially succeeded in creating, then let fall away. Rainbow Magicland could have been an ongoing thing. Like Disneyland. Constantly updated with the latest media offerings.

Winx seasons 1-3 plus the first movie were strong. Combined with the awesome Huntik seasons 1-2, Straffi had the foundation for his empire. But the dreadful delay between Winx seasons 3 and 4 caused tremendous momentum loss. I do not think the franchise ever full recovered from that negative impact.

Additionally, the Huntik franchise, which really reached out to guys as well, was left to wither on the vine. Truly a sad waste of something different, awesome, and creative.

I can only guess at the hijinx that have gone on behind the scenes, in the boardroom, around marketing tables, in creative meetings, and perhaps in bank lobbies to let such potential wane.

--------------------

Fortress Guy's fortress of solitude.

Jem Huntik Korra season 1 Winx SE4 part II
mightymarty2
post Mar 9 2020, 6:14 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

It is a shame it has gone down hill a little and Winx seems to have gone down different angles with different levels of success. Huntik was a shame it left it open with the ending of season 2 I was hoping for some closure and explanations. I won't say anything here in case someone has not seen Huntik and wants to

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Zhanneel
post Mar 9 2020, 7:00 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Ahhh, yes, Huntik. What a shame it never was greenlit for Season 3. icon_sad.gif (Kind of like W.I.T.C.H. and Lolirock, sigh...) Still all fun cartoons to watch, but so much future potential lost.

@Fort: You hit all of that on the nail. Especially the part about the gap between Season 3 and 4. That was the first nail in the coffin of the Rainbow momentum train. I just don't agree with much of Straffi's strategies. And I've read quite a few of his articles and find that he has lots of excuses for the things he does.

Ex: He blames the new art direction and "young-ing" of Season 8 on a statistic that 10-12 year olds are not watching cartoons anymore. But that doesn't mean you have to dumb down your characters and stories. Every Disney masterpiece has always been able to appeal to children, teens, and adults alike. When I hear excuses like Straffi's I just think he is lazy or unqualified anymore. It' sad because he built the foundation of something great, only to let it waver in wind from season to season.

Between Season 3 and 4 was when quite a few of the members here on MC drifted away (if I am right?). It really was an unneccessary amount of time to wait. And he continues to do that even up to today. Many seasons had large gaps. It took forever for Season 8 to come out, and thankfully it's bringing real like back into the fandom. I haven't been this energized about a season since Season 3.
Fortress Guy
post Mar 10 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #8

Harmonix Fairy

I understand Marty. I wish Huntik had more closure. And good points Zhanneel.

I wonder how wide-ranging that stat about 10-12 year olds not watching cartoons anymore is. I certainly explains his younging down of the art direction (addressed directly in the general season 8 thread). But plots can be written in a quality way that appeals to multiple demographics. Usually it is a good plot that can still be grasped by younger viewers while still being deep enough for more mature viewers. Like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I wonder what Straffi's strategies were/are. And why season 4 was so delayed. Was it money? And why the, what I consider poorly conceived, Nickelodeon reboot movies.

--------------------

Fortress Guy's fortress of solitude.

Jem Huntik Korra season 1 Winx SE4 part II
mightymarty2
post Mar 10 2020, 6:20 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

It is interesting about the gap between the Winx seasons, it certainly did contribute to the fall in members of this forum but I think life also contributed. Season 4 delay was most probably more to blame.

I don't get the strategy it only really worked in places like Russia (?) and as Zhanneel said Disney can do it for all demographics why can't Rainbow.

My guess is that Straffi was undecided if to end Winx after the movie when the original story was finished but finances dictated otherwise and maybe some of the enthusiasm was gone. Especially with Rainbows expansion plans

--------------------
Zhanneel
post Mar 17 2020, 12:33 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

That's a good theory Marty, one I've heard too regarding whether Straffi was going to end the series after the movie. I'm torn, because while I'm glad we have more episodes to watch, they just are not of the same quality (story-wise), when it comes to the first 3 seasons. So...not sure if I'm happy or disappointed that he kept making new seasons. icon_razz.gif

Overall, I will say that Winx Club still has moments of greatness here and there in the newer seasons. (Unlike Monster High, who had a very, VERY awkward reboot that did not work at all.)
mightymarty2
post Mar 18 2020, 8:01 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Yep there are still good episodes and moments I particularly enjoyed episode 15 of the new season

--------------------

Fast ReplyAdd Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 9:11 PM