Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Surprise!
SpiderBraids
post Jan 31 2014, 4:10 PM
Post #1

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

Been meaning to post this one for a while now, might as well get it done during anniversary week icon_smile.gif
One word you probably normally wouldn't use to describe the writing in Winx is "surprising". Nevertheless, the writers have thrown quite a few curveballs over the past decade, and here are what I think are some of the best... (with a score on a scale from 1-10 for each one)

Spoiler!

1x15: Musa has the best grades 7. Until that ep, I thought (nay, took for granted even) that honor belonged to Tecna (like many of you I bet!) Flora being among the top two of the group gets a 7-8. (Anyone else wish that the writers would remember this from time to time? icon_confused.gif)
1x17: BrandonSky has a fiancee 6-7. I did read a mention of a character named Diaspro, but didn't think about it much until the episode came out.
2x17: Cloud Tower is a living thing 9-10. Especially for this to come up after so much time spent at CT.
2x21-22: Bloom never uses her Charmix in the Wildlands 9-10. While we could understand not having the "Mary Sue" be the first to use it, for her not to use it at all for the first two episodes after getting it must have blown quite a few viewers' minds.
2x23: Avalon turns out to be fake 6-7. Expected that he would be evil... but not an Armin Tamzarian (Simpsons ref FTW! icon_smile.gif)
3x07: Valtor has roots tying in to the Dragonfire 6-7. Most of the unexpected developments this season either went nowhere (Beta Academy) or were outright unwanted (Diaspro's banishment), but this was a pretty good one (even if it did make the season's plot ultimately about Bloom yet again icon_confused.gif)
4x24: The Black Gift 10. Consider what we expected to happen: Bloom would be mortally wounded, the Winx would have to choose between healing her or one of the Wizards of the Black Circle, and the Black Gift would make itself useful. Then consider what actually ended up happening... icon_surprised.gif
5x23: The girls visit Zenith again 7. Enchantix notwithstanding, it was more or less a given that the Sirenix gem quest would take the girls to everyone's home planet (well, their oceans anyway). But getting to see Tecna's planet above the surface later in the season proved a very pleasant surprise. (And Una Di Noi Winx's recent "Tecna @ Home" post is giving us hope that they'll visit it again this season icon_smile.gif)
5x21-26: Musa never uses her Sirenix wish 5-6. S5 had more of the same problems as season 3 (The Shark's Eye, Princess Krystal, Diaspro's return), so I was considering this as the biggest surprise for this season, until I remembered that 2nd Zenith trip.
6x02: Cloud Tower flies off 7-8. Season's still young, so there might be other surprises in store, but surely no one saw this one coming... (Think it's too much to hope the writers remember the other big CT surprise from S2? icon_confused.gif)

Your thoughts?

This post has been edited by SpiderBraids: Jan 31 2014, 4:19 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
Kendall112
post Jan 31 2014, 8:31 PM
Post #2

Bloomix Fairy

Best twists by Season.

Season 1: Sky and Brandon switch roles and Sky is engaged to Diaspro
Season 2: Dark Bloom and Avalon
Season 3: Tecna sacrificing herself to close the portal
Season 4: The gift of life being wasted on a flower
Season 5: Daphne being brought back to life

--------------------
P-girl
post Jan 31 2014, 9:01 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I still think the Earth Fairies being out for blood was one of the better twists Winx pulled.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Jan 31 2014, 9:01 PM
Kendall112
post Jan 31 2014, 9:56 PM
Post #4

Bloomix Fairy

I agree, that's another thing that made me love Season 4.

--------------------
P-girl
post Feb 1 2014, 8:24 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

While it's not a moment, I'm pleasantly surprised that Nabu is staying dead and instead focusses on Aisha coping and moving on. I'm not sure if they did that story well, but at least there's honest effort there.
SpiderBraids
post Feb 7 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #6

Bloomix Fairy

QUOTE (Kendall112 @ Feb 1 2014, 03:31 AM) *
Best twists by Season.

Season 1: Sky and Brandon switch roles and Sky is engaged to Diaspro
Season 2: Dark Bloom and Avalon
Season 3: Tecna sacrificing herself to close the portal
Season 4: The gift of life being wasted on a flower
Season 5: Daphne being brought back to life

I already mentioned S1 and S4's, so my thoughts on the others:
S2: 4-5. It was pointed out to me back in the day that good characters often have struggles with the dark side, so Dark Bloom fits in pretty well.
S3: I consider that one of the season's unwanted surprises. Sure, the shock value is there, but there are some major problems with it.
S5: 3-4. I remember it being brought up as a possibility when the Sirenix wishes were first mentioned, so not so surprising.

I'd like to see what you think of my picks icon_smile.gif

--------------------
winxclubrox23
post Feb 7 2014, 8:23 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Season 2: Riven jumping in front of Darkar's spell and saving Musa.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Kendall112
post Feb 8 2014, 5:07 AM
Post #8

Bloomix Fairy

QUOTE (SpiderBraids @ Feb 7 2014, 06:41 AM) *
I already mentioned S1 and S4's, so my thoughts on the others:
S2: 4-5. It was pointed out to me back in the day that good characters often have struggles with the dark side, so Dark Bloom fits in pretty well.
S3: I consider that one of the season's unwanted surprises. Sure, the shock value is there, but there are some major problems with it.
S5: 3-4. I remember it being brought up as a possibility when the Sirenix wishes were first mentioned, so not so surprising.

I'd like to see what you think of my picks icon_smile.gif

What makes Bloom my favorite character is that she has had to overcome more hardships (on screen) than most other characters (excluding Musa) and grow into the woman she became in Season 4

I agree that Tecna being lost in the Omega dimension was an awkward event. You don't give the most underrated character spotlight by making her disappear for a couple of episodes. The whole ordeal doesn't even really stand out to me like it should. I feel like had it been any other member of the club (like Flora) the scene would have been much more powerful. This is yet another reason why I think Season 3 has the worst writing.

I simply never thought that they would bring Daphne back to life, so when they did I was in shock.

@winxclubrox23:
I truly believe that Riven loves Musa incredibly strongly. We really need to get his back-story.

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Feb 8 2014, 9:33 AM
Post #9

Bloomix Fairy

QUOTE (Kendall112 @ Feb 8 2014, 12:07 PM) *
I agree that Tecna being lost in the Omega dimension was an awkward event. You don't give the most underrated character spotlight by making her disappear for a couple of episodes. The whole ordeal doesn't even really stand out to me like it should. I feel like had it been any other member of the club (like Flora) the scene would have been much more powerful. This is yet another reason why I think Season 3 has the worst writing.

Actually, the biggest issues I have with this bit are Tecna getting into the portal when Aisha and Bloom couldn't, and then Tecna getting her Enchantix icon_confused.gif

--------------------
Kendall112
post Feb 8 2014, 5:15 PM
Post #10

Bloomix Fairy

Hmm.. yeah, it's not really explained why Tecna could enter the portal and why it triggered her Enchantix BEFORE she closed it.

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Feb 8 2014, 8:40 PM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I think Tecna got her enchantix before it closed as it was the way of saving her life as she could not escape the portal. Like how Stella got it saving her Dad's life and Flora her sister Miele's life. I think Enchantix can come early if that person has earned it and will die from what they did to earn enchantix

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
SpiderBraids
post Feb 11 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #12

Bloomix Fairy

Back to the topic at hand... While I can understand the idea of Daphne being brought back to life via Sirenix wish as being somewhat surprising, I'd argue that Musa never using her wish is more so, because it's quite unlike Winx to completely ignore something so potentially useful like this (I mean Aisha at least tried to use the Black Gift... You'd think the writers would find some good reason for her to use her wish...)

--------------------
P-girl
post Feb 11 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

Maybe it's saved for the Third movie? The title is very much implying Sirenix is involved, and the second one proved that screwing over continuity isn't something they care about.

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 2:24 PM