Add Reply
> Alfred J. Kwak, A Dutch Cartoon Classic
Rating 5 V
P-girl
post Sep 28 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Okay, if you're from Holland and you haven't heard of him, I don't envy you. Alfred J. Kwak (Kwak = Quack) is Dutch Childhood. And even if you're not Dutch, it's worth a checking out. It has stunning visuals, great characters, great music, composed by Dutch super-artist Herman van Veen. (Ducktales has nothing on him.)
The story is pretty simple, it's the adventures of a young duck with a red scarf and his foster father, a mole named Henk, in a world inhabited by anthropomorphic animals. (His original family, father mother and quite a lot of brothers/sisters, got run over when they moved from their nest).
The scope of these adventures would range from simple to epic. Serious to silly, surreal to realistic. Yet it all feels the same, it all feels..... Dutch. Seriously, the setting, the characters, some of the social issues adressed, it's as Dutch as you can get. However, one of the series' greatest strengths, especially for a kid's cartoon is that the characters actually grow up and mature. Alfred starts out being recently hatched, goes trough school, becomes a young adult, and the stories seem to grow with him, from things like dealing with bullies to saving the whales from Oil-tycoons. And not just him, the others grow to. His female friend Winnie (Who's an African refugee) grows from female buddy to love interest, and Dolf, a school bully, grows up to be..... an analogy for a certain German Dictator..... no, really, he got the 'stache and everything.
I haven't found any subbed episodes of any kind, so if anyone can find the unsubbed, and is interested.... I would be more then glad to help make a fan-sub happen. It's worth it, so very, very worth it.

As a taste, here's the intro:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Lyrics:
He flies he babbles and he swims
He quacks for you and he quacks for her
He quacks a lot for everyone
And if you sing a song for him
Then he'll dives and plunges and he'll swim
Something for you

Splish Splash Splater
Lovely in the water
You all can go home
He'll be a drop later
((Repeated))

And to make everyone hate me, the outro (It will never leave!):
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Lyrics:
Today I am so happy, so happy, so happy
Today I am so happy
As happy as I ever was!
I used to be happy before, very happy, very happy
But so happy as I am now, I never was!

Sometimes he is so sad, so very very sad
Sometimes he is so sad, he's dying of grief

Today I am so happy, so happy, so happy
Today I am so happy
As happy as I ever was!

This post has been edited by P-girl: Sep 28 2009, 5:39 PM
Go to the top of the page
Another Morning
post Sep 29 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

My mom: "What are you watching?"
Me: "Dutch duck with a scarf."

It was worth it for the look on her face, if nothing else. It does seem cute, though! =3 If a dub ever hit the webernetz, I'd check it out.

Also, as soon as you mentioned Ducktales, the theme got stuck in my head. It will be there for a good few weeks now.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
P-girl
post Sep 29 2009, 5:38 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Thanks. I'll probably be rewatching it soon, since I seemed to have forgotten some important plot points..... and I STILL want to see the creepy alien episode..... (The one that lifted him from the elephant in the intro. Seriously, neither the Xenomorph or Predator have anything on that..... thing.)
MorriganAensland
post Sep 29 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

This definitely sounds like a colorful show. And the animation really looks good too.

Plus, a show that actually had some grasp of being arc driven, even if it was just based on the duck growing up. Arc-based stories have a soft spot in my heart and you certainly described this one really well. Just wondering, how many episodes is it?

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
P-girl
post Sep 29 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

It counts, 52 episodes. Oh, and there has been a UK dub.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Sep 29 2009, 3:51 PM
MorriganAensland
post Sep 30 2009, 2:07 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

52 episodes. A nice good length. You can get a lot done with 52 episodes. ^_^

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 9:08 AM