Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Add Reply
> Roleplaying Word Count?, Just an idea.
winxclubrox23
post Apr 2 2010, 9:01 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Okay, so like, on other roleplaying forums, often times, there's a set word count that you have to meet in each post. Some of them are quite high, like 500 words, some of them are 200, some 150 and so on.

The main reason they set a word count, is that say someone did a really long post (we're talking waaaaay long. I've seen people religiously post 7k) and then in response, you get maybe 10 words? Not fair is it? If you spent awhile on your post, and get in response a few words, it ticks you off. And I've noticed that sometimes that happens on this forum too.

Now I'm not suggesting we go out and say everyone has to do 500 word posts. I'm suggesting that maybe we set something like a 20 word count at LEAST. Then, everyone would at least have a good, descriptive response, and roleplaying would be more fun, because you'd actually have something to reply to.

Thoughts?

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post Apr 2 2010, 9:07 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Personally, I don't like this rule. True, some of us could get more.... descriptive. But if the limit gets to high, you're just using words for the sake of filling up the quotient. Empty padding. For someone like me, who has a short, to-the-point style to begin with, this isn't really an incentive. Then there is combat. While I always try to be as descriptive as possible in combat, due to the pace, you often can't get anything more then short sentences.

I think this rule promotes purple prose and quantity over quality.
winxclubrox23
post Apr 2 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

I agree, quality over quantity is most important, and honestly, I wouldn't join anything that has a word count set over 200 words, but really though. 20 words isn't that much. I've bolded the word set because it's the 20th word in my post. Is that very long? No.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 2 2010, 9:15 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

No. But I think word count is more of a.... I don't know. I know it's an incentive for people to get more taught in their posts..... but I fear it's the same as promoting good grammar and punctuation. Some people aren't going to do it. Either saying they can't, due to.... various reasons. (Some more sensible then others, like English not being your main language. I can get that.) and people having a 'Whatever, I do what I want' approach to things. Which saddens me. Just because it's a hobby, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to improve yourself.

But I'm going on a tangent.
humbu111
post Apr 3 2010, 1:02 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I totally agree with Tea. There are very few posts in which less than 20 words is all that an RPer is able to write. And the occasional post under 20 words should be okay. But if on a consistent basis someone's RP posts are less than 20 words, they often have very little meaning and leave the rest guessing and with nothing to work off of. It can get annoying.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

winxclubrox23
post Apr 3 2010, 2:20 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Exactly. 20 words is pretty much nothing. 100 words isn't even that bad. If you use description and stuff, you can write forever.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 3 2010, 9:25 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

But like I said, promotes describing useless things. 20 words? Fine. 100? Already stretching it. And like I said, if you're gonna promote word count, pleasepleasePLEASE promote proper grammar, punctuation and spelling while your at it.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Apr 3 2010, 9:26 AM
mightymarty2
post Apr 3 2010, 9:57 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I think the problem is quantity over quality like P-girl said. I know in the fight can be hard to get over detailed as there is only so much you can do and you don't want to give away plans. The other problem I can see is if its not strictly enforced who decides whats ok without being open to the accusation of bias or being unfair.

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
humbu111
post Apr 3 2010, 8:07 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Apr 3 2010, 05:25 AM) *
But like I said, promotes describing useless things. 20 words? Fine. 100? Already stretching it. And like I said, if you're gonna promote word count, pleasepleasePLEASE promote proper grammar, punctuation and spelling while your at it.

How many useless things can you describe in 20 words? Seriously, its less than a line most of the time. And I dont get what you're trying to say =S 20 words is fine? And for spelling and all that like you said, there's the excuse of english not being a strong language for someone, or like some of the younger members may not be as good at it yet. For word count, there's no excuse other than being lazy. If you're in a rush, dont post, its that simple.

QUOTE (mightymarty2 @ Apr 3 2010, 05:57 AM) *
I think the problem is quantity over quality like P-girl said. I know in the fight can be hard to get over detailed as there is only so much you can do and you don't want to give away plans. The other problem I can see is if its not strictly enforced who decides whats ok without being open to the accusation of bias or being unfair.

Well fights are the part where description is the easiest. So many times in fights its hard to understand what the person is trying to do exactly cause they're post is like 10 words and vague.
Well if most of the members agree, a 20 word post count can be added to the Magix Club RP Rules and the mods along with the creator of the RP can enforce the rules. If there's an accusation of being unfair, the person could simply be linked to the rules.

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 3 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Fine. 20 words. I was just trying to make a point. But please.... don't go overboard and go like 'Only if you're posting three paragraphs per post' and stuff like that.
winxclubrox23
post Apr 3 2010, 8:11 PM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

Did I ever once say anything about 3 paragraphs? No. I simply said 20 words, which is so, so easy.

--------------------

humbu111
post Apr 3 2010, 8:12 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

Lol that was specified in the first post by Tea:

Now I'm not suggesting we go out and say everyone has to do 500 word posts. I'm suggesting that maybe we set something like a 20 word count at LEAST.

But you agree, so its cool ^^

Edit: Whoops, posted at the same time as Tea.

This post has been edited by humbu111: Apr 3 2010, 8:13 PM

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 3 2010, 8:15 PM
Post #13

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (winxclubrox23 @ Apr 3 2010, 08:11 PM) *
Did I ever once say anything about 3 paragraphs? No. I simply said 20 words, which is so, so easy.

Yeah.... but you gotta admit, it's also so, so easy to go overboard with rules like these. Or maybe that's just personal. I had some baaaaad experience with these kind of rules. Both in RP-ing and writing.
mightymarty2
post Apr 3 2010, 8:20 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

CODE
And the occasional post under 20 words should be okay.

You said the occasional post under 20 words would be ok, this is what i was talking about how do you decide when under 20 is ok. I mean obviously an accasional 19 post would not really be punished but under that is where the problem could begin
Reason for edit: change

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
P-girl
post Apr 3 2010, 8:20 PM
Post #15

Cosmix Fairy

Well.... uhm..... would you be really offended if I chose you as an example, Marty? If so, I'm really, really sorry.
mightymarty2
post Apr 3 2010, 8:22 PM
Post #16

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

ok thats ok

--------------------
P-girl
post Apr 3 2010, 8:24 PM
Post #17

Cosmix Fairy

Because.... y'know.... your posts tend to be short. Really short......
mightymarty2
post Apr 3 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I know some are though i am trying to improve

--------------------
winxclubrox23
post Apr 3 2010, 8:33 PM
Post #19

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Apr 3 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Yeah.... but you gotta admit, it's also so, so easy to go overboard with rules like these. Or maybe that's just personal. I had some baaaaad experience with these kind of rules. Both in RP-ing and writing.

...NaNoWriMo?

Just a shot in the dark. XD

--------------------

P-girl
post Apr 3 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy

Nah . Getting kicked out of an RP forum just because I couldn't meet a word count every single time. They were ri-di-culous. Three paragraphs, two-hundred words minimum. One-hundred in combat. Yeah. That invited useless padding like you wouldn't believe. And then there are these people that believe that, unless your stories are novel-length, they're not worth the reading. For someone who mainly writes one-shots, that's a downer.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Apr 3 2010, 8:37 PM

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 7:52 PM