Go to the top of the page
Unica-Musa
post Apr 5 2008, 7:18 AM
Post #22

Sirenix Fairy

Group: Members

I don't like her for many reasons:
1) She's a boring character in my opinion
2) She's going out with Nabu now (I liked that she was independent before)
3) She's not part of the original five
4) She seemed to be a main focus of attention throughout seasons 2 and 3
5) To me, she seemed to get in between Musa and Tecna's friendship (she even stole Tecna's bed in an episode for goodness sake).
6) She seems a bit snobbish

That's my opinion, no offense to Layla fans. I do like some things about her, (like her winx outfit), but I just don't like her as a character.

OMG!!! I didn't now that you have sooo many reasons for hating Layla...

--------------------

Pics of Musa found on this forum! Forum set by me!

Thnx to wonderful Zhaaneel I have this cool animated siggy
WinxFairyAlianne
post Apr 5 2008, 2:46 PM
Post #23

Sirenix Fairy

icon_surprised.gif I like layla!

--------------------
Boo
post Apr 5 2008, 5:48 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I don't hate her... I just don't like her.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
WinxFairyAlianne
post Apr 5 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #25

Sirenix Fairy

Nearly everyone does not like her!

--------------------
W.I.N.X
post Apr 27 2008, 4:20 AM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

My favoritess are the originaal five equally... Layla just... I havee to agree with Boo... I find that distinctly unnlikeable but that's just my opinion

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
Zhanneel
post Apr 27 2008, 2:51 PM
Post #27

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I'd have to agree with Boo (and I too actually love her normal Winx outfit ^^). Layla all but bumped Tecna out of getting any chance to connect with Musa and form one decent friendship on that show. It seems to be that most people prefer Layla over Tecna (is it because everyone thinks Tecna is too responsible and mature? I actually think those are awesome traits). I'm sure everyone loves Layla because she's a tomboy and she sticks up to boys, however her attitude is what I have the most problem with. Her "snobbish" attitude stems from what I see as superiority complex, namely the attitude she takes up with anyone who challenges her. The poor boyfriends are nice guys and she didn't even give them a chance at the beginning. She threw her attitude in their faces and acted horribly tomboy-ish, if that's a word, lol. The word that comes to mind is "fem-nazi", or someone who tries to play up the feminist role but ends up going overboard. Overall, I don't hate Layla, and at times she can be very nice, but there are times when her attitude comes out too strongly and that is not what I see fit for younger girls to emulate. It's okay to speak your mind, but don't do it in a way that makes you appear "superior" to everyone around you. I hope this made sense. I don't hate her, I just want some parts of her personality to relax and change, which is why I place her below the other girls.
humbu111
post Apr 27 2008, 2:55 PM
Post #28

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

i like them all alot including Layla

my order:

Stella
Flora
Musa
Bloom/Tecna/Layla

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

mightymarty2
post Apr 27 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

i know what you mean zhanneel, I just did come in totally took musa attantion and was so mean like when they went to shadow haunt, she was so mean to sky and brandon

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Zhanneel
post Apr 27 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #30

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

QUOTE (mightymarty2 @ Apr 27 2008, 04:41 PM) *
i know what you mean zhanneel, I just did come in totally took musa attantion and was so mean like when they went to shadow haunt, she was so mean to sky and brandon

'zactly. I could even forgive "bumping" Tecna out of the way. But the the things she said and her attitude to the guys were uncalled for. Even if she came from a family where arranged marriages were forced, I can't forgive her character for being rude to people, whether they are males or females. It seems like she was taking out her marriage problems on the poor boys, who were only trying to be nice to her and surprisingly were not rude back. I don't even think Riven fought back with her? 'Cuz the boys are nice guys =P.
mightymarty2
post Apr 28 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

yep though it is a suprise Layla and Riven did not have a big fight

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Zhanneel
post Apr 28 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #32

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

If they did, the writers would have made Layla win the fight, no doubt, as she wins everything it seems. Too much perfection, not realistic. She should be able to make mistakes too. And I have a feeling she assumes she's always right (but then again, that's just the vibe I get from her).

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: Apr 28 2008, 5:41 PM
MorriganAensland
post Apr 28 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #33

Cosmix Fairy

Indeed. Nobody likes it when things come easily for a character, especially if they're the main protagonist. They need to have some failings, either before the story and revealed in flashbacks at an appropriate time, or those that become apparant in the storyline.

However, finding out about your past and then angsting about it to the point of being completely useless... *cough*BLOOM/SASUKE UCHIHA/JUDAI YUKI*uncough* only to regain one's fighting spirit and come in and wipe out the competition is a weak and rather disappointing way to deal with it.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Zhanneel
post Apr 28 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #34

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I have to agree with you there Morrigan. When everything falls easily into the lap of a character it tends to make the story (if they happen to be the main character) too boring. I think all of the Winx girls have made some mistake(s) thus far in the series, except Layla. I can't relate to her until I see she is human, instead of the perfectionist they try to make her out to be.

I also feel slightly bad writing about why I dislike characters when I know some of the younger readers won't quite understand why I criticize some of their personalities. I know a lot of Winx watchers like the main character because of the same reasons everyone likes female protagonists: pretty, nice, strong, etc. I hope they understand that as an older viewer I find it very hard to like a character based solely on the fact that they are pretty and nice, and that it is okay to analyze and delve deeper to find out why they like that character. After all, in real life there is so much more going on under the surface of a character than just their looks or overall attitude.

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: Apr 28 2008, 11:44 PM
MorriganAensland
post Apr 29 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy

Indeed. Although, to be fair, they might be trying to avoid making Layla look flawed because it could seem racist. Which is pretty childish, IMHO.

One of the reasons I liked The Big O so much is it's unconventional protagonist. Normally in a Super Robot series, the hero is some hot-blooded, dense teenager, while O's Roger Smith is a well-to-do, skilled negotiator with a quirky sense of humor who is someone that younger viewers can aspire to be and older viewers can relate to.

Kinnikuman (Ultimate Muscle's prequel) is similar, in how Suguru's in his twenties and a complete idiot whenever the plot demands it. But the rest of the time, he's perfectly capable of figuring out things nobody else can, displays skill in refining certain techniques and doing them in new ways, and we viewers can see him grow as a person in the first arc where he was nothing more than a bumbling, lazy coward to how he is in the final arc: a guy capable of predicting the actions of not only his enemies, but his friends.

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Apr 29 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #36

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Characters such as you describe are the reason I still watch cartoons today.

(Ah, "Big O", an anime I actually think I liked ^^. The protagonist was pretty awesome and the correlations to "Batman" made it all the better. Ranks close to Cowboy Bebop in my opinion.)

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: Apr 29 2008, 12:49 AM
MorriganAensland
post Apr 29 2008, 1:12 AM
Post #37

Cosmix Fairy

If you ever get into the Super Robot Wars franchise, I'd advise downloading an emulation of Super Robot Wars D. Roger serves a key role in the story, in that he helps convince Treize to get back in charge of the OZ and help out the heroes since it's the only organization out there with not only the manpower to get some order back on Earth -which is a hellhole thanks to the combined effects of the White Fang and the Principality of Zabi and the Invaders from Getter Robo- but has the resources to protect the people that are still alive.

The chapter in which the heroes from Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam, Gundam Wing, Victory Gundam, and F91 Crossbone Gundam is an amazing one to play, simply because of the fanboy/girlism running rampant in it.

On subject though:
I also dislike how the Trix seem to be cardboard cut-out villains as well. The only one that the writers even had a chance at humanizing seems to be Darcy, what with her relationship with Riven. Heck, they could've had her display second thought about the whole "take over the Universe" thing and had her join the protagonists at the end of season 1, and she would've made a *MUCH* better "Sixth Ranger" than Layla, IMO. Not to mention her motif in question, being Darkness, would've made for quite the delicious irony.

And I likes my irony.

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Apr 29 2008, 2:50 AM
Post #38

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Lovin' the idea of having Darcy switch over. I can see why the producers opted not to though. They had to somehow keep the Coven of Three stable, and if they took Darcy out, they would have to replace her with someone who could never properly fit the threesome team. No one could really replace Darcy, but if they could somehow have done away with the Trio theme, it might have been a great idea. It may have added some seriousness to the Winx girl team, but then that risks being too mature...and I'm sure their intention was too keep this scaled down for the young'uns. But it is fun to imagine.

(the crossover episode sounds hilarious, I hope it was ^^. If they even remotely made fun of the fan girls and boys I applaud. And it never fails, I try to look "Super Robot Wars D. Roger" up in a google image search and I get the worst kind of fanart. The dirty kind. It did have a robot in the picture, but the majority of the picture was so irrelevant I don't even know why I bother to use image searches anymore. This show is a crossover with Roger from "The Big O"? *always confused by crossovers*)

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: Apr 29 2008, 2:52 AM
MorriganAensland
post Apr 29 2008, 3:18 AM
Post #39

Cosmix Fairy

Well, if Darcy had changed sides, she could have very easily served the role as a strategist and display a clever nature to work with Tecna's wisedom that would hang back and not go in guns blazing. Icy and Stormy could've done something else, heck, even take private lessons from Griffon for all I care to be her successors. Anything better than "LOLZ! LET'S GOT AND SERVE WHATEVER CARDBOARD VILLAIN COMES ALONG!"

And it wasn't an episode. Super Robot Wars is a long-running franchise of video games in Japan that have all the various Super/Real Robot anime series coming together and fighting alongside each other. Most of the games occur in seperate universes, although the Original Generation, Classic Timeline, and Alpha Timeline games all tell one coherent storyline.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

^Sound's a little out of sync, but it's not bad.

Big O's appeared in one game, Super Robot Wars Destiny. The game was disliked by some because the Super Robots were not very good at tanking in it, but I personally like it since in comparison to Super Robot Wars 3, they take far less damage anyways, and they have lots of unconventional series included, including Big O.

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Apr 29 2008, 3:26 AM
Post #40

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

(Oh, slightly less confused. It's a game... lol Oh how cute, there's Roger! =P Ahh, now "emulation" makes sense as you were referring to game roms and emulators, oi, I should have known that.)

As for Darcy's crossover, oh nooo, we can't do that. That would put too much attention on the rift between Icy/Stormy and Darcy, and we can't have Bloom's camera time sacrificed xD. (no offense to Bloom lovers, it's just too easy to pic on her, hehe)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Add Reply
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 5:56 PM