Group: Honor Members

Like the title, I want to know your favorite movie by genre. The genres are;
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Drama
Horror
Children's movie
Animated Movie (Both anime and western)
Summer Blockbuster (Yes, I think these make a genre of their own, also, feel free to add a genre if I missed any.)
Action
Documentary
Superhero

I'd also like a bit of a 'why', so it won't be just listings.

Here's mine:
Fantasy:
Pan's labyrinth, a.k.a. El Laberinto del Fauno

Whoever says fairy tails are just for kids hasn't seen this movie. It's made by Guillermo del Toro, in my eyes, one of the best directors in the world, especially concerning his visual style. Dark, bizarre and highly imaginative. And it shows in this movie, about a young girl living during the Franquist oppression in Spain. She enters a maze, which is part of her new father's (A fascist general) home and meets a faun who says she's a princess of a forgotten realm. What follows is a mixture of gruesome fantasy, mixed with even more gruesome reality of the time-period. Also, the movie knows how to keep you on your toes, with wether it's all really happening, or if it's just a child's fantasy, trying to escape the harsh reality. A brilliant movie, and by far, Del Toro's best work.

Science Fiction:
Ghost in the shell; Innocence.

I already ranted about this movie in the 'Favorite animated film', so I'll keep it short. Stunning visuals, a quest to find the meaning of life, and a movie daring to ask questions, but humble enough not to answer them (So keep your accusations of pretentiousness at the door, please) and, like I said, a true Science Fiction movie if I ever saw one.

Horror:
Alien

Yes, yes, I know, technically a science fiction movie. But what works the best in this movie, are the horror elements, so I'm classifying this as horror. It's got some great scares, some actual good gore. (Do I have to mention the word 'Chestburster'?), great athmosphere, one of the best female leads ever, and also one of the best-designed monsters ever. Alien is the original in-space scarefest, and a must-see for people who want a thrill.

Children's movie:
Minoes

Okay, you might not have heard of this one, since it's Dutch, and very much so. The story's simple. A slightly geeky news reporter meets up with a woman, who, by all means, behaves like a cat. She also knows how to talk with them, and together, they help the news reported become the best in town. If there's one word to call this movie, it's 'Charming'. It showcasts Holland's finest actors in great roles (And unexpected ones at that. The akward, geeky news reporter 'Tibbe' is played by notoriously foul-mouthed comedian Theo Maassen, and he pulls it off brilliantly) It also doesn't shy away from some adult material, like the 'Jakkepoes', an old female cat who's had a nest of kittens with just about every male cat in the town. If you're Dutch, check it out. If not..... try and check it out, I'll gladly handle translations.

Animated Movie (Both anime and western);
Up

A movie which moved me to tears, quite a feat, but what would you expect from Pixar?

Summer Blockbuster (Yes, I think these make a genre of their own, also, feel free to add a genre if I missed any.):
Transformers

Now this is how you do special effects. Thrilling, funny, and overall fun, a roller-coaster ride if there ever was one.

Documentary:
Waltz with Bashir

Another one for the 'Animated movies aren't just for kids, y'know?' debate. It's an animated documentary about a man who fought in the Lebanon war and, thanks to trauma, lost his memories of a specific time, and tries to regain it by interviewing the people he lived it with. The animation makes it surreal.... distant.... and it was probably meant that way. A chilling movie about the effects of war trough the eyes of a footsoldier.

Superhero:
Iron Man

Yeah, yeah, I watched the Dark Knight. And yes, it was awesome. But no, I think Iron Man is better. Why? Sheer visuals and style. I like my movies slightly lighter then usual. Especially movies that are clearly fictional. Iron Man gives that. It's just so much more fun then the Dark Knight. Also, being a Tecnophile, the Iron Man suit way outperforms the bat-suit, or even the tumbler. (Doesn't take away that the tumbler is the best vehicle EVER! I want one!) and Robert Downey Junior way, way WAY outperforms Christian Bale.
Go to the top of the page
Another Morning
post Jan 24 2010, 5:19 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I just saw this topic XD A lot of times my favorite movie depends on what I saw last, so a few of these may be subject to change.

Fantasy: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Everything about these movies is beautiful. The scenery, the music, the plot, the characters, the dialogue, everything. There was no better way for some of the most influential fiction books in existence to be put into movie form.

Science Fiction: Flash Gordon

I don't know why I love this movie so much, but I do. It's just sooooo early 80's and over-the-top, it's great. And I'm not gonna lie, the theme song probably has a lot to do with my adoration.

Drama: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

A classic, and for a reason. It all takes place over the course of one night, but so much happens. The characters transform so much. And all of the acting is top-notch. I'm normally not into older movies OR dramas, but seriously, check this one out.

Horror: Manos: The Hands of Fate

I don't really watch horror movies, so I'm just going to have to go with one of my favorite MST3Ks. This movie is painful. I almost can't even watch it with Joel and the Bots making fun of it.

Children's movie: Ghostbusters

It might not exactly be a "children's" movie, but I saw it as a kid and I frigging love it. It's hilarious, smart, and crazy. FUN FACT: When my brother first saw it, he introduced himself to the new neighbors as Dr. Peter Venkman.

Animated Movie (Both anime and western):

I seriously cannot narrow this one down, because of Disney movies like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast. I grew up with them, and even now the music and animation are so beautiful. Also included is Spirited Away, because it is touching and also beautifully animated, and the Last Unicorn, because it's one of the earliest movies I can ever remember watching and it's so trippy and weird, it fascinates me.

Summer Blockbuster (Yes, I think these make a genre of their own, also, feel free to add a genre if I missed any.):

This one is a tie between the first two Mummy Movies and Van Helsing. I never get tired of any of them. I love the action, the characters, the stories, and the humor.

Action: Ninja Assassin

This is one of the genres where pretty much the last movie I saw is my favorite. But Ninja Assassin was gory, but pretty, and it had lots of martial arts and guns and explosives and weapons and fire. And that's pretty much what action movies are all about.

Superhero:

Again, this one is a tie, between The Shadow, The Spirit, and Ghostrider. I love most superhero movies, but these three aren't heard of very often so they're kind of special. They all have a unique, darker edge to them while still having happy endings.

Here's another genre

Comedy: The Producers

This is one of the few movies that's ever made me laugh so hard I cried. I prefer the newer version, but the old one is gold, too.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Go to the top of the page

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 12:13 AM