Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> The Lovely Bones, SPOILERS ahoy!
Another Morning
post Jan 24 2010, 5:28 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I saw the Lovely Bones with my cousin today, and it was a great movie. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the girl dies, since it's all over the trailers, but there only a few parts I felt that were really sad. The parents' reaction to hearing the news, for starters. The part where the dad is smashing the boats in the bottles, and Suzie is watching the giant boats crash almost made me cry. The part where Suzie finally enters the house and learns about all the other girls Harvey killed was shocking and solumn, and in the end when he pushes the safe with her body in it into the sinkhole delivers a sense of finality. The rest of the movie was more surreal than anything.

I have a notoriously short attention span, but I was kept raptly interested through the whole movie. The plot was very engaging and you definitely want to find out what happens next, but even during the slower parts, what kept me interested was the beautiful shots. Jackson really made the "in-between" place a dreamy and - I know I've already used this word, but it's the only way to describe it - surreal environment. All of the shots were gorgeous. Even the world before Suzie dies was filmed wonderfully.

In general, the way different aspects of the story were told was very cool. The Suzie's "death scene" was frightening, but not in a gory or graphic way. The whole trip she goes through before getting to the in-between place was so well done. Especially the final scene, where she sees Harvey in the bathtub and realizes what has happened to her.

The characters were all well-written, I didn't have one I didn't like (besides the murderer, but that was kind of the point). Suzie was so cute and innocent, she was probably my favorite. The dad comes in at a close second, he broke my heart. The murderer was creepy and gross and you wanted him to die in a fire, but that just means the actor did his job well. All of the actors were great.

The ex-AP English student in me went crazy looking for all the foreshadowing and symbolism after the movie was over. Here's a hint: pay careful attention to the backgrounds in the in-between place and remember what you see! For those of you that want to know what's going on now, if you look carefully, you can find items that belonged to all the other girls Harvey has killed. The rainbow ball of the little girl is floating in the ocean, one of the girl's hat is floating in the sky behind Suzie's head, another girl's recorder is in the forest standing with the trees, ect.

Overall, I found the movie engaging, endearing, suspenseful, unique, and even funny at moments. It's not a movie for those who like conventional "happy" endings, but for anyone else, I'd highly recommend it!

PS: In the bookstore scene, look for the Lord of the Rings poster. I see what you did there, Peter Jackson.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Go to the top of the page
winxclubrox23
post Jan 24 2010, 5:45 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Was it a good movie? Because after reading the book, and the book was AMAZING, I'm really scared to see the movie. I never understood how they could turn it into a movie.

This post has been edited by winxclubrox23: Jan 24 2010, 5:46 AM

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Another Morning
post Jan 24 2010, 6:01 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

I really liked it. Now I'm interested in tracking down the book XD

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Toriamelio
post Jan 25 2010, 4:49 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

In honer of Tea. It is called LOVELY BONES. Not THE Lovely Bones. (That was for you Teags!)

--------------------

*Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.*
Thanks for the set Breana!
winxclubrox23
post Jan 25 2010, 6:47 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

NEIGH! I lie. I googled it, and it's actually THE Lovely Bones.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Another Morning
post Jan 26 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

XD I thought so.

--------------------

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 8:27 AM