Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Add Reply
> Disney's Rapunzel 2010, I's coming folks!
P-girl
post Jan 8 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Well, Anderson wrote most of his stuff himself. I remember having this book with GORGEOUS images, it started with the complete Alice in Wonderland story, and ended with a compilation of H.C. Andersonn stories. (Sadly, not the Snow Queen, but they had the Chinese Nightingale, a beautiful one about a writer who heard stories from the moon. One about a princess and her brothers who were turned into swanns, the little red shoes.... all in their kid-undfriendly glory with some of the best artwork I've EVER seen in a book...... it fell apart due to age.... I miss it.)
Go to the top of the page
dittadulla
post Jan 8 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

QUOTE (P-girl)
Chinese Nightingale, a beautiful one about a writer who heard stories from the moon. One about a princess and her brothers who were turned into swanns, the little red shoes

All of these were in my book, well except for the writer who heard stories from the moon. It had The Little Mermaid, The Little Match girl and other awesome stories. All with wonderful images too but although I think not as glorious as you describe I think. Andersen's fairytales are simply heartbreaking and sad. Not the 'happily ever after' ending, but something that could just make you cry.

--------------------
P-girl
post Jan 8 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #23

Cosmix Fairy

Not to mention surprisingly kid-unfriendly. The little mermaid commited suicide (Don't worry, she gets better), the girl with the red shoes gets her feet chopped off, the Stories of the moon featured a violent stabbing..... yeah, that's stuff to read to your kids. Maybe the reason for why I'm such a disturbing adult from time to time.
dittadulla
post Jan 8 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

Yep, all of this was read to me as a kid ... hah. Especially The Girl With The Red Shoes, it was my favourite fairy tale when I was little. Despite the nasty ending.

Oh also, according to Wikipedia, The Snow Queen is in fact by H.C. Andersen.

--------------------
Another Morning
post Jan 8 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #25

Cosmix Fairy

I think the snow queen looks pretty awesome =D

And from what I remember about the original Little Mermaid, she made a deal with...somebody, I don't know who it was in the original, but she could become a human to get the prince, and if she couldn't get him to fall in love with her she'd turn into seafoam and die, and I guess Anderson said mermaids don't have souls so she would just cease to exist after that. She ends up failing with the price and turns to foam, but she ends up getting a soul so the "happy ending" was that she got to go to heaven. That was the same kind of thing I remember with the Match Girl, it was "happy" because she was in heaven and not starving and cold on the streets.

It still sucks that they died, but I guess you took what you got back then .____.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Jahnavi
post Jan 9 2010, 4:56 AM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Kids today have grown more comfortable with "Disney" endings, I guess. {I read the original little mermaid when I was eight or nine. I couldn't go the beach for weeks. xD}

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
dittadulla
post Jan 9 2010, 1:08 PM
Post #27

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (Another Morning)
And from what I remember about the original Little Mermaid, she made a deal with...somebody, I don't know who it was in the original, but she could become a human to get the prince, and if she couldn't get him to fall in love with her she'd turn into seafoam and die, and I guess Anderson said mermaids don't have souls so she would just cease to exist after that. She ends up failing with the price and turns to foam, but she ends up getting a soul so the "happy ending" was that she got to go to heaven. That was the same kind of thing I remember with the Match Girl, it was "happy" because she was in heaven and not starving and cold on the streets.

Naw, she got the chance to earn a soul as a daughter of the air because instead of murdering the prince to save herself, she committed suicide to save him and his bride.

--------------------
Jahnavi
post Jan 9 2010, 5:42 PM
Post #28

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Yup, she had to cut their throats while they were asleep, but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Another Morning
post Jan 9 2010, 9:46 PM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy

Huh. I should actually try to find it and read it o.o The gruesome old fairy tales are pretty interesting. Like in one of the original Cinderella stories (I say "one of" because just about every culture had their own version), I think the German one, the step-sisters cut off chunks of their feet to try to fit into the slippers, and the prince only knows that they're lying because the slippers start to fill with blood.

This post has been edited by Another Morning: Jan 9 2010, 9:48 PM

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
P-girl
post Jan 9 2010, 9:53 PM
Post #30

Cosmix Fairy

And the pigeons! Don't forget the pigeons! Rookoo, rookoo, there's blood in her shoe!
Another Morning
post Jan 10 2010, 4:34 AM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy

Oh man there totally were pigeons O: I'd forgotten about them.

--------------------

P-girl
post Jan 10 2010, 9:49 AM
Post #32

Cosmix Fairy

Those blasted things scarred me for life. Rookoo, rookoo *Shudder*

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 5:46 AM