> Songs That Just Make You Want to Stab Something, fun tiemz
Rating 5 V
ellieluvsdolphin...
post Dec 5 2010, 3:39 AM
Post #61

Pixie

Group: Members

QUOTE (Boo @ Sep 19 2009, 10:20 PM) *
That and "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift. No offense to her massive amount of fans, but I do not like her music (I don't like country anyway, and her live performance on a New Years Eve special scored her some really low points in my book.) That specific song, though, reminds me of "Girl Next Door" by Saving Jane.... The lyrics are just too similar. It annoys me, really.

I agree with you on that. & listen to "I'd Lie" by Taylor Swift, and please tell me I'm not crazy in thinking the chorus has the same tune as "Girl Next Door" icon_neutral.gif

I actually like some of her songs, I just hate having to hear them every minute of every day. My sister is obsessed with her, and she's constantly blasting her music. I wake up hearing Taylor Swift. I do my homework hearing Taylor Swift. I rant about hearing Taylor Swift while hearing Taylor Swift. DOES MY SISTER NOT LIKE ANY OTHER ARTIST????!!! O.O
So it's not really Taylor's fault icon_razz.gif
I mean come on, I'm obsessed with a few artists too, but I'm not constantly shoving them into anyone's face

Her obsession has begun to die down though, so maybe someday years from now I'll get over all this and enjoy some of her songs, like I used to before my sis had heard of her thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by ellieluvsdolphins: Dec 8 2010, 2:55 AM
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post Dec 7 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #62

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Speaking off Taylor Swift....

Don't know the title, but she goes all 'You were Romeo, I was the Scarlett Letter' and such things.

Dear Taylor Swift (And anyone else who uses Romeo and Juliet as the ultimate in Romance)

Romeo and Juliet both DIED due to their incompetence in love. It's about two impulsive teenagers who throw away everything to be with someone they've barely known. Get it in your head.
W.I.N.X
post Dec 7 2010, 4:14 PM
Post #63

Cosmix Fairy

....Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars. Call me cynical, because I am, but in the video he sings that to a pretty girl and the cynic in me doubts he'd be singing it to an unattractive girl. Beauty may be the eye of the beholder, but more often than not, said eyes see things similarly. Plus, it's overplayed and I'm sick of people being all I WANT MY CRUSH TO SING THIS TO ME BUT HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW I EXIST WAHHH.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Personal Photo made by sailorvs4
P-girl
post Dec 7 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #64

Cosmix Fairy

Not to mention it's shallow. Her hair, her eyes, her lips.... but how 'bout her personality, huh?
W.I.N.X
post Dec 7 2010, 4:41 PM
Post #65

Cosmix Fairy

Thank you. So she's not a nice person? I mean, I get the point is that whoever this girl is she's meant to be beautiful but not think so, but the song never mentions that she's a good person AND is seen as beautiful.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
P-girl
post Dec 7 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #66

Cosmix Fairy

All I ever come to know about her is her insecurity..... not the best sign.

Another recent one: The Black Eyed Peas and their butchering remix of the song 'I've had the time of my life.'
humbu111
post Dec 7 2010, 5:43 PM
Post #67

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

QUOTE (P-girl @ Dec 7 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Speaking off Taylor Swift....

Don't know the title, but she goes all 'You were Romeo, I was the Scarlett Letter' and such things.

Dear Taylor Swift (And anyone else who uses Romeo and Juliet as the ultimate in Romance)

Romeo and Juliet both DIED due to their incompetence in love. It's about two impulsive teenagers who throw away everything to be with someone they've barely known. Get it in your head.

The song is Love Story lol. And I see what you mean, but I think she was just using the concept of lovers who aren't allowed to be with each other and all, and since Romeo and Juliet are so well known she based the song on that. It doesnt mean it has to end the same way, since she didnt leave it open ended for the listener to assume that the characters in the song had the Shakespeare canon ending. She re-wrote the ending to suit what she was going for, think of it as a fanfic sorta thing lol.

As for Just The Way You Are, its about how so many teenagers today (girls in particular? =S) are really self conscious about their appearances and are always thinking they're ugly or fat even when they're not. Having someone reassure them that they are actually beautiful in a song like that is like considered really sweet lol which is why people love the song so much. About the personality thing, well this particular song isnt focusing on that. If it was a big social issue kinda thing where people were all "I'm a bad person with a horrible personality D:" then someone could write a hit single about how the person is actually a really good person on the inside and all. But since at this point in time people are underestimating their own looks, this song works. I dunnoe thats just how I see it =S

Sorry this might just be me defending them cause I really like the songs, but just my opinion =P

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

P-girl
post Dec 7 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #68

Cosmix Fairy

TO each his own.

Also, it's not about the ending: what bugs me about all this is that Romeo and Juliet is satire. I just think it's silly people see it as a romance for the ages. If so, does Airplane! count?
ellieluvsdolphin...
post Dec 8 2010, 2:49 AM
Post #69

Pixie

Group: Members

QUOTE (humbu111 @ Dec 7 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Sorry this might just be me defending them cause I really like the songs, but just my opinion =P

Hey, I don't like either song (Well, I used to like Love Story before I heard it every minute of the day) but I agree with what you said, especially about Just the Way You Are.

Another song I thought of: Whip My Hair by Willow Smith. I feel kinda bad to hate on her because she's only 10, but that song is pretty annoying wacko.gif
W.I.N.X
post Dec 8 2010, 4:45 AM
Post #70

Cosmix Fairy

Indeed, indeed, to each his own.

But on Whip My Hair, Ellie, don't feel too bad. You're not hating, hating would be saying things like OMG WILLOW IS SOOOO UGLY AND FAT etc. Basically making unfounded nasty claims against her. Which is particularly bad because she's ten. However, you're basically just expressing your dislike of the song, which is perfectly alright. If anyone, even a ten year old, expects to release work to the public, they have to understand the fact people won't like it.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
winxclubrox23
post Dec 9 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #71

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

Yes. That song. It makes me want to lock myself in a closest and never come out. Ever. Holy. Cow.

This post has been edited by winxclubrox23: Dec 9 2010, 5:38 AM

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
P-girl
post Dec 10 2010, 8:31 AM
Post #72

Cosmix Fairy

You know what's awful too?

Remixes of songs... that totally miss the friggin' point of the original.

The first one coming to mind is the previously mentioned 'Poor unfortunate souls' by the Jonas Brothers.
Another one was an awful dance mix of 'Another day in Paradise' showing people lounging at the beach in their clip. Urgh. Say about the Brandy one what you want, at least she realised the meaning and tried to honor it.
W.I.N.X
post Dec 10 2010, 9:17 AM
Post #73

Cosmix Fairy

In addition to awful Jonas Brothers covers, their cover of Hello Goodbye quite literally made me turn into a spluttering, angry Beatles-fan. While y love for The Beatles would have something to do with my hate of it, it's still just an awful song and it makes me want to throw a brick through a window. It's...not good. ANd then, the whole Jonas Brother's fangirls being all 'The jobros are soooooo much bettter than the beatles. lol lmao. the beatles are badd'. [/rant]

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
P-girl
post Dec 10 2010, 9:19 AM
Post #74

Cosmix Fairy

Beatles.... bad?! *Twitch*

The Beatles are amongst Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash and Mozart; even if you don't like 'em, you DON'T say they're bad!
W.I.N.X
post Dec 10 2010, 9:32 AM
Post #75

Cosmix Fairy

Worse still, their reasoning is usually that the Jonas Brother's are hot and the Beatles are old.

...Pfft. The Beatles shaped rock music.

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
P-girl
post Dec 10 2010, 9:37 AM
Post #76

Cosmix Fairy

I sometimes fear for the next generation (I'm 24, I shouldn't have to say that!).
HISTORY, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

That's my biggest complaint. It's not that they don't like the Beatles, I mean, I'm not too big of a fan, but indeed missing the fact that Bands like that shaped music as we know it. Give them the respect they deserve.
W.I.N.X
post Dec 10 2010, 9:52 AM
Post #77

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah, I mean, even if you're not a fan, you can't deny the impact they made or what they did.

This post has been edited by W.I.N.X: Dec 10 2010, 10:36 AM

--------------------

Badge by Morny.
Boo
post Dec 11 2010, 4:16 AM
Post #78

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (ellieluvsdolphins @ Dec 5 2010, 03:22 AM) *
Any Justin Bieber songs, most Taylor Swift songs, and most Katy Perry songs. I absolutely despise "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha. I don't mind her other songs that much, but her live voice makes me want to stick my head into sand like an ostrich, so I won't have to hear it, so I can never call myself a fan. I don't really like Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody"... hmmm I think that's it...

I completely agree with everything you stated here. thumbsup.gif Katy Perry's "California Girls" particularly bothers me; why would anyone want to listen to a song about the "privileged" (and by this I mean rich) nonexistent (meaning that her portrayal reflects that of "Hollywood"; false... not true... not real) young "perfect" women of California? blink.gif Living with a sibling who is obsessed with the song is truly torturous...

Right about now, I'm also currently detesting all forms of Christmas carols... (Currently being overplayed on the radio... and repeated... and repeated... and repeated...)

And, as always: rap... The constant degradation of women translating into flailing attempts at backing up the rapper's false facade of masculinity.. I swear, that's the only reason why they include lines of women's inferiority, as well as unneccessary cursing and the like... it's to provide them (the rapper) with a sense of superiority (that "manly-man" appeal, so to speak). thumbsdown.gif Not so... A true artist need not hide behind a mask of harshness and inhumane discrimination to prove their "talents" to the world.. And a true musical artist, in my opinion, is someone who can sing a beautiful love song or touching lament and be genuinely and completely proud of it... Now that's confidence!

In short, any musician that degrades another (group or individual) in any way is NOT worth the listen and NOT deserving of the money, the fame, and the "pride." Unfortunately, the vast majority of songs within the rap genre do just that, and artists producing such garbage, for reasons confounding to me, become wildly popular... It's a shame.

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
P-girl
post Dec 11 2010, 8:19 AM
Post #79

Cosmix Fairy

*Cough*

Let's not debase rap in it's entirety, please. There are some pretty awesome rap songs:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Let me make myself clear: this doesn't mean I don't agree with your statements, on the contrary. They just.... don't include all of rap. That's like saying all rock is mindless screaming in a mike. Which it isn't. As I've shown, rap can be about history, and even making a political statement. (The middle one's a bit of a diss track, but dayum if that beat ain't fine.). In fact, Rap started as a bit of a protest against the bad living conditions of certain members of the American population.

My apologies for derailing this thread. Just wanted to say my peace as a bit of a fan of rap.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Dec 11 2010, 10:01 AM
Boo
post Dec 11 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #80

Cosmix Fairy

Umm... I didn't dismiss all of it. I stated that the majority of rap songs (particularly hugely popular ones) are guilty of the aforementioned; not all of them. :/ (Last line of my post) I understand, though. I find that it is very easy to misinterpret messages online. Perhaps I should have emphasized that point (about the majority) a bit more.

I myself have developed a fondness for a couple of rap songs (one being by the Gorillaz, actually).

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 9:04 PM