2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Add Reply
> Schools, Explain your school sturcture
Selena
post May 12 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Mythix Fairy

Group: Members

It may sound like an odd topic, but I would really like to know about other peoples school systems. I get really confused when watching telly or reading a book.
What some places is so confusing. I might be a bit bias, but i recon the structure in Victoria, Australia is the best.
It's quite simple.

Primary school starts when your 5 (or if you turn five before June) You start in prep and go to grade 6.
Then you have Secondary school which is year 7 to year 12.
Then you go to University.

In my town however, we have a Senior Secondary school which caters for only years 11 & 12. This is a diffrent school not a diffrent campus. But this is only in place in my town. No where eles in Victoria.

In Victoria the last two years of youy education are the most important. In years 11 & 12 you complete you VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education), VET (Vocational Education and Training), VCAL (Vitorian Certificate ofr Applyed Learning) of a combonation of the three.

After you finish VCE and sat you exams you get an ENTER score. This helps dictate which Uni you get to go to.

Tell me about happens in your area.

--------------------

My toys were my friends
Until you taught them all how to bite
Go to the top of the page
fullmoon
post May 12 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Well, it is basically the normal way where I live. When the kid is four, he goes into Jr. First then when he is six, he goes to 1st grade. The rest goes the normal way.

--------------------

I am not WEIRDhopefullyI think

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
Selena
post May 12 2007, 3:27 AM
Post #3

Mythix Fairy

QUOTE (fullmoon @ May 12 2007, 10:22 AM) *
Well, it is basically the normal way where I live. When the kid is four, he goes into Jr. First then when he is six, he goes to 1st grade. The rest goes the normal way.

so the year levels are the same? Grade 1,2,3,4,5,6 then year 7,8,9,10,11,12? or do you have other name for them?
I get all confused with the junior senior thing

--------------------

My toys were my friends
fullmoon
post May 12 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

It is the same thing. 9th is freshman, 10th sophmore, 11th junior, and 12th senior.

--------------------

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
Another Morning
post May 12 2007, 4:53 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Where I live, we have Pre-K through 6th grade as elementary school, then 7-9 as junior high school, and 10-12 as senior high school. Technically, the 9th graders (or freshmen) are still considered high school students, but they still go the the jr. high. And we have the same 9th grade=freshmen, 10th=sophmore, 11th=junior, and 12th=senior, too.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
fullmoon
post May 12 2007, 5:16 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

That is basically how my schools runs except of the 9th grade thing.

--------------------

bloom_daphne
post May 12 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Here you start at 5. So it's K-6 or K-8 (Depending on your school). If it's not K-8 then after K-6 It's Middle School which is 7-8 then High School which is 9-12 then university.
fullmoon
post May 12 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

For me, when you turn 6, you go to 1st grade.

--------------------

Connie
post May 13 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #9

Tynix Fairy

Weird here in Newy York, Elementry is only Pre-K, Kindergarden, 1 grade, 2grade, 3 grade, 4 grade and 5 grade. then Junior high 6th through 8 and then high school and College

--------------------

Screenshot Credits to WinxMedia But I made this

thanks to Stellaksjuta
Selena
post May 14 2007, 1:34 AM
Post #10

Mythix Fairy

QUOTE (Connie @ May 13 2007, 12:40 PM) *
Weird here in Newy York, Elementry is only Pre-K, Kindergarden, 1 grade, 2grade, 3 grade, 4 grade and 5 grade. then Junior high 6th through 8 and then high school and College

So what is Pre-K? I thorght it was like prep?
So if you have pre-k then kindergarden is grade 1?
Prep (first year age 5-6) grade 1 (second year age 6-7)

--------------------

My toys were my friends
Another Morning
post May 14 2007, 2:05 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

No, Pre-K comes before kindergarden.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
EnchantixMusa
post May 14 2007, 2:17 AM
Post #12

A True Fairy

My little brothers School just start having pre-K and his school goes to 5th grade. My school goes 6th to 8th. High school goes 9th to 12th grade and then college. My middle school has a Merit/Demarit system also.

This post has been edited by EnchantixMusa: May 14 2007, 2:19 AM

--------------------

Selena
post May 14 2007, 3:49 AM
Post #13

Mythix Fairy

whats the "Merit/Demarit system"?

--------------------

My toys were my friends
EnchantixMusa
post May 14 2007, 4:18 AM
Post #14

A True Fairy

Merit- If you do something good

Example: You pick something up for someone and a Teacher Notices they give you a Merit.

Demerit- If you do something bad

Example: You say mean things or talk back to a teacher then the teacher will give you a Demerit.

What I am say is that the merits are good and the demerits are bad.

This post has been edited by EnchantixMusa: May 14 2007, 4:19 AM

--------------------

Zimi~of~Statix
post May 14 2007, 6:08 AM
Post #15

Enchantix Fairy

QUOTE (Selena @ May 12 2007, 12:15 AM) *
It may sound like an odd topic, but I would really like to know about other peoples school systems. I get really confused when watching telly or reading a book.
What some places is so confusing. I might be a bit bias, but i recon the structure in Victoria, Australia is the best.
It's quite simple.

Primary school starts when your 5 (or if you turn five before June) You start in prep and go to grade 6.
Then you have Secondary school which is year 7 to year 12.
Then you go to University.

In my town however, we have a Senior Secondary school which caters for only years 11 & 12. This is a diffrent school not a diffrent campus. But this is only in place in my town. No where eles in Victoria.

In Victoria the last two years of youy education are the most important. In years 11 & 12 you complete you VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education), VET (Vocational Education and Training), VCAL (Vitorian Certificate ofr Applyed Learning) of a combonation of the three.

After you finish VCE and sat you exams you get an ENTER score. This helps dictate which Uni you get to go to.

Tell me about happens in your area.

That's the same as the NSW schooling system. Except in year 10 we have the SC (School certificate) and the HSC (Higher School Certificate). But the SC only matters if you are leaving which is stupid because theres no point in doing it but I heard after this year they're scraping it. It sucks that my years the last to do it.

I think the american schooling system is really confusing I mean don't you have to go to like 3 different schools? I've only ever been to one my whole life, my schools a private girls school in sydney which goes from K-12 which is like prep to year 12 so I've never had to worry about changing or not having any friends.
Eechye
post May 14 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #16

Pixie

Group: New Members

Let See

We Have Primary school from P1 - P6 ( 6 Year )

In between we have a EM Examination At Primary 4, Those who pass most of the subject get to EM1 ( Explain later ), Those who are Moderate will fall into EM2, and those who are weak will fall into EM3

Upon reaching Primary 6, we have PSLE examination ( Primary school leaving examination ), or some joker love to call it Please Stop Learning English. Anyway if you get good mark, you can get into secondary school of your choice, Now you wonder what this EM1-EM3 thing, those who are EM3, if they can pass the exam they will get to secondary school too. But if they fail, they will retained for 1 year ( Up to maximum of 2 year and if they fail, they get into Secondary school )

Still wondering what those EM1-EM3 does in Primary school, Upon reaching Secondary school, EM1 Student who pass get to Sit for the "O" level exam at Secondary 4, EM2 Student get to sit for the "NA" Exam at secondary 4, Those who are EM3 and able to get into secondary get to sit for "NT" Exam at secondary 4 ( Note even EM2 can fell to EM3), We now group this as EM1 = EXPRESS, EM2 = NORMAL ACADEMIC, EM3 = NORMAL TECHNICAL

Express get like 8 Subject if i not wrong, yea it very streesful
Normal Academic get like 6 subject
Normal Tech get like 5 subject

Upon reaching sec 4, you get to sit for the National Exam, For those express student who pass the "O" level Exam, They can straight and skip 2 year of school and head straight For Poly or Junior College where they will have to study 2-4 year to head for University

Those who pass NA level exam, get to either go to Secondary 5 and take O level exam, or head to ITE ( School which allow you to train for real life, Example Marketing, Graphic Making etc )

Those who pass NT level exam, get to either go to Secondary 5 and take "NA" level exam, or head to ITE ( Same thing )

That how my country system work, there a lot more and is very complicated to explain, Especially the courses it offer and the road, but yea this is about it

--------------------
Selena
post May 17 2007, 3:44 AM
Post #17

Mythix Fairy

QUOTE (EnchantixMusa @ May 14 2007, 02:18 PM) *
Merit- If you do something good

Example: You pick something up for someone and a Teacher Notices they give you a Merit.

Demerit- If you do something bad

Example: You say mean things or talk back to a teacher then the teacher will give you a Demerit.

What I am say is that the merits are good and the demerits are bad.

But what do they do?
Like do you get so many demerits you get suspeneded or some thing? and if you get so many Merits you get...?

--------------------

My toys were my friends
Abby
post May 17 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #18

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Here you can offer to have your kid do preschool (most people do nowadays, back when I went it wasn't really required but it is a smart Idea now) so that is 3 and 4 years old (whenever your parents think your ready to start) and then kindergarten- 5th grade is elementary school (that takes you up to about 10 years old) then there is 6th-8th grade (middle school) which takes you to about 13 years old. then 9th-12th grade (high school) which takes you to about 18 years old. then you can go to college if you want to or not but nowadays you pretty much have to go to college and get at least a bachelors degree to get a good paying job in society. and that is however long you stay according to what your majoring in.
jenn
post May 23 2007, 8:21 AM
Post #19

Bloomix Fairy

QUOTE (Eechye @ May 14 2007, 07:33 PM) *
Let See

We Have Primary school from P1 - P6 ( 6 Year )

In between we have a EM Examination At Primary 4, Those who pass most of the subject get to EM1 ( Explain later ), Those who are Moderate will fall into EM2, and those who are weak will fall into EM3

Upon reaching Primary 6, we have PSLE examination ( Primary school leaving examination ), or some joker love to call it Please Stop Learning English. Anyway if you get good mark, you can get into secondary school of your choice, Now you wonder what this EM1-EM3 thing, those who are EM3, if they can pass the exam they will get to secondary school too. But if they fail, they will retained for 1 year ( Up to maximum of 2 year and if they fail, they get into Secondary school )

Still wondering what those EM1-EM3 does in Primary school, Upon reaching Secondary school, EM1 Student who pass get to Sit for the "O" level exam at Secondary 4, EM2 Student get to sit for the "NA" Exam at secondary 4, Those who are EM3 and able to get into secondary get to sit for "NT" Exam at secondary 4 ( Note even EM2 can fell to EM3), We now group this as EM1 = EXPRESS, EM2 = NORMAL ACADEMIC, EM3 = NORMAL TECHNICAL

Express get like 8 Subject if i not wrong, yea it very streesful
Normal Academic get like 6 subject
Normal Tech get like 5 subject

Upon reaching sec 4, you get to sit for the National Exam, For those express student who pass the "O" level Exam, They can straight and skip 2 year of school and head straight For Poly or Junior College where they will have to study 2-4 year to head for University

Those who pass NA level exam, get to either go to Secondary 5 and take O level exam, or head to ITE ( School which allow you to train for real life, Example Marketing, Graphic Making etc )

Those who pass NT level exam, get to either go to Secondary 5 and take "NA" level exam, or head to ITE ( Same thing )

That how my country system work, there a lot more and is very complicated to explain, Especially the courses it offer and the road, but yea this is about it

that's the past system of singapore.
they changed it now.although yours basically described most of it.
so I shall describe its changes.
they have combined EM1 and EM2 which means they are all the same except for EM3,
but the government is planning to combine everything into one stream in 2008 or 2009
so in the combine stream now,there will be two groups of students,one of which will be taking higher mother tongue and mother tongue.
for the PSLE examination,side note:it will be as known as 'please stop learning english' or 'please stop learning everything'.they 'rename' it basically for fun and its the most dreaded exam for the primary school students.
But now they have DSA(direct school admission) for students to apply and the secondary schools will base on their performance in primary school and accept them.
which means the if the students are accepted,they will still
be able to go to the school if their PSLE score are not up to standard.although they will still have to take PSLE.
If they applied,got accepted,they will still have a choice if they want to go into that school.
the streams for secondary school would be:
250 and above=special stream:you will be able to take a third language if your application is succesful
the other streams would be:
express,normal academic and normal technical.
those will have to depend on the school's cut-off point whether you get into express or normal academic and so on.
-normal technical students are those who are not promoted to secondary school after 2 years(if I am not wrong),they will go to ITE where they will learn different skills.eg.IT,cooking etc
-normal academic students will have to study for 5 years and take their 'N' levels and after that if they passed,their 'o' levels ,'A' levels and so forth.
-express students will study for 4 years instead of 5 and take their 'o' levels after 4 years and 'A' levers in junior college.
-there is also IP(integrated program),for students in those schools which have direct junior college which means they study for 6 years and take their 'A' levels straight.

--------------------

*Stella*
post May 23 2007, 1:20 PM
Post #20

Cosmix Fairy

In germany we have pre-school for one year when you turn
6 you go to the basic primary school for 4 years..
then your teacher give you a commendation for what your next school shoudl be
we have four possibiltees.

the first is called "hauptschule" if you go to this school
you will be there from 5-9 grade.. after that you have the "hauptschule certificate"

the second is secondary school
from 5-10 after that you have an secondary school certificate

the third one is grammar school
from 5-13 (but they changed it, now its from 5-12)
after that you have the university entrance diplom

and the fourth possibilty is a comprehensive school

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 5:51 AM