Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> The Last Airbender, Shyamalan's latest travesty
MorriganAensland
post Jul 10 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

So Lii and I watched the Last Airbender last night, knowing it would be bad but not knowing the true terror it would really hold.

The movie is, simply a trainwreck from start to finish. The script is where the pain and trauma starts, covering only a few key episodes of the first season, and it can't even do that right! For instance, the Earthbending internment camp in the show was a coal and metal mine, designed so that the Earthbenders would have little of their element to work with. In this, it's just a pit. Surrounded by Earth. And they never bothered trying to fight back until Aang showed up.

Then again, considering how badly the Firebenders have been nerfed I suppose that making everyone else eat paint chips is the only way to make them a genuine threat. Rather than generating their own flames, aside from master Firebenders, they are forced to work with pre-existing sources of fire. And this is WITHOUT taking into account that Admiral Zhao is played by Assif Mandvi of the Daily Show, utterly ruining any danger he might present.

Then there's the freaking Race Lift going on. Rather than stick with a strategy of casting actors who can act and look the part, Shyamalan went the bold yet ultimately stupid route of making them all white (Except for those naughty Firebenders who all look Middle Eastern now) and unable to convey any other emotion than dull unfeeling. I mean, for the love of God why'd he do something like this?!? He's a fan of the show, he should know about this!

The Bending is also ridiculously long and drawn out, making it feel more like the actors are doing lengthy and tedious exercise motions than actual bending based on actual martial arts. I mean, if he had bothered to have the motions have a much more realistic and briefer feel to them maybe he could have squeezed more time into actually making stuff happen in the movie... if he didn't piss all that away with exposition instead.

Which leads me to the exposition. This is one of the more rage-inducing tendencies the movie has. It exposits. It exposits like there's no tomorrow and anything that could have simply been shown through subtext and a little effort is instead simply outright telling us. "My brother and Princess Yui quickly grew to become friends," and next thing you know they're walking around and chatting it up like there's no tomorrow. In the words of Yahtzee Croshaw, "You're supposed to weave exposition into the narrative!" and this movie doesn't even bother trying. It'll just stop the action whenever it pleases to tell us something that could have been done in a more appropriate manner.

The movie is also, believe it or not, too short. The movie is a compilation movie, condensing a number of episodes of a and for a minute I'd like to compare it to a *good* compilation, the Mobile Suit Gundam's compilation movies. Each of these movies clocked in at at least two hours worth of footage, some recycled and some new. The movies are also gripping and took a decent and innovative show and gave it the kind of shine that caused it to go on to become a cultural icon of Japan. The animation for its era is extremely polished (especially in the last movie which was almost entirely made of new footage), the voice actors could convey genuine emotion and even though I was watching a movie about giant robots shooting at each other it did not feel stupid.

This movie feels stupid. The actors in it don't even deserve the title of "actor" (except for Assif who gets a free pass because he's a funny guy) and it's quite clear that Shyamalan doesn't deserve the title of being a director.

For a list of the differences between the series and the movie, please refer to this blog:
http://www.racebending.com/v3/general/the-...cartoon-series/

EDIT:

In the spirit of the original series, I give you this video I just found:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

This post has been edited by MorriganAensland: Jul 10 2010, 4:45 PM

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
Ranma
post Jul 10 2010, 7:29 PM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Senior Member

lol, and I usually like his movies. I guess I'll wait 'til this comes out on dvd.

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post Jul 10 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

His other movies, as bad as they are, are still ripe material for riffing. This thing is just... awful.

I mean, ANY ordinary bad movie becomes fun when you have enough friends over to make fun of it. Lii and I just... well, it was like we were reading the King in Yellow.

--------------------

DeadInside
post Jul 11 2010, 7:31 AM
Post #4

Sirenix Fairy

Not really a surprise that it is an Epic Fail, it could be said since they show the trailer... I don't know what is with the Film maker people, they just Ruin everything...

Adaptations are almost everytime a disgrace... Funny thing that it should be easier to make it right since it was already written, but no, they have a lot of fun destroying the original.

--------------------
P-girl
post Jul 11 2010, 7:38 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

Wow. A ruined live-action version of an animated universe. Shocker...... No matter how realistic people are drawn, I'm of the full conviction that this will never work (And if someone brings up the 'Transformers movie: 1. It's an exception, not the rule. 2. Those were CGI creations, not people). Also, from what I've heard, this movie has some fans.... something about this whole 'Zutarian' nonsense? *Facepalm* He mangled the story, the characters and the world, but thank God your ship got some proof! /sarcasm. Talk about skewered priorities.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Jul 11 2010, 8:59 AM
DeadInside
post Jul 11 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #6

Sirenix Fairy

Hm...It doesn't need to be live action to be failure, adaptations are likely to be a fail no matter what, animated adaptations of books, comics and manga has the sadly tendency of being epic fails... (BTW, i dont think the transformer movie was good at all....) but we are going off-topic the thing here is that the airbender movie sucked LOL

--------------------
P-girl
post Jul 11 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

I personally loved it (Grade A fangirl here) But yeah.... off topic.

While I'm all for differing opinions and such.... the arguments from people who actually liked this movie are..... silly at best.
MorriganAensland
post Jul 11 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

The Transformer movie had its up sides and it had its downsides. I thought the second one dragged on a bit at the end but they were both watchable and the robots were always fun to see.

ANYWAYS, back to this movie: it was horrible and it's got a ridiculously low rating of like 6% on one movie site.

--------------------

P-girl
post Jul 11 2010, 1:00 PM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

Well, like I said before, I've encountered a pocket of fans..... but they focussed on the unneccesary and quite frankly silly stuff.

Also, I'm shocked at just how much was going on behind the scenes of this, especially considering casting.
terriordx32
post Jul 19 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I saw the trailer for this and was so excited, i was counting down the weeks until the movie came out. Then when it did i was like...what?

I felt like the movie was tooooo rushed, almost everybody i talked to about the movie said it didn't do the TV Show justice. Aang look like a bald baby and i couldn't take him seriously. The kyoshi [sp] warriors werent even in the movie and they dont plan bringing them in which i think is ludacris. The sad this is they are supposedly making 2 more planned sequels, but if this is how the first movie is then i most likely wont watch the other 2.

--------------------

Thanks Cami!!!
Sen
post Jul 20 2010, 5:47 PM
Post #11

Butterflix Fairy

just watched it online .... I don't even know why I watched it! -_- The first trailer was ok, but the others just screamed "don't watch this!!!" ><

--------------------

By dittadulla <3~ @_@

Winx Club & Rainbow -- Translated articles: http://incantesimo.lareveuse.net/
P-girl
post Jul 20 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

I only watched a trailer and some footage. I don't think I'm going to watch it. I mean, from what I saw, they were going overboard with the Bullet-time and the slow-motion. I'd rather have my fight-scenes at full speed with small dosages of slowmo for emphasis, thank you.
Sen
post Jul 20 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #13

Butterflix Fairy

QUOTE (P-girl @ Jul 20 2010, 07:53 PM) *
I only watched a trailer and some footage. I don't think I'm going to watch it. I mean, from what I saw, they were going overboard with the Bullet-time and the slow-motion. I'd rather have my fight-scenes at full speed with small dosages of slowmo for emphasis, thank you.

don't even get me started on the fight-scenes ..... they were more I move-now-you-move stuff than actual fight scenes thumbsdown.gif (not to mention that they weren't even bending, it was really making weird movements! xD)

--------------------

By dittadulla <3~ @_@

Winx Club & Rainbow -- Translated articles: http://incantesimo.lareveuse.net/
P-girl
post Jul 20 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #14

Cosmix Fairy

Darn.... one of the things I like about the series (I'm not really a fan, but I respect it nonetheless.) was the fighting and how dynamic and inventive it was.

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:24 PM