Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Ralph Breaks the Internet, or, the Wreck-It Ralph sequel
SpiderBraids
post Dec 31 2018, 9:37 AM
Post #1

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

(Blows dust off Movies section yet again)
Getting this in before year's end icon_wink.gif Okay, anyone here catch the sequel? Not quite as good as the original, but still a decent enough watch... Lots of thoughts in the box:

Spoiler!
- Where I live, we only got the 2D version and it was pretty clear to me which scenes were meant to have the best 3D pop icon_confused.gif
- With all the constant hopping from one plot to the next, this film feels more distinctly episodic than the original... I suppose it would fit with the idea of internet links taking you anywhere...
- Most of the laughs at my screening came from that much-hyped bit with the princesses and gags involving Ralph's size icon_biggrin.gif And I may or may not have laughed at the intersection of these two things
- Lots of visual gags and stuff to process for much of the film, especially during the "Oh My Disney" sequence, beyond just the princesses, and other than the various Easter eggs, viewers might notice a little bit of old-school 2D animation being used in the BG... and even a reference to Adam West Batman icon_wink.gif
- I suppose a Tron reference was inevitable, even if it had to wait for the sequel (and yet once again, no room for a certain red-capped plumber)
- I once described Ralph in a long-form recap as "a low-rent King Kong"... Let's just say that there's a sequence that really leans on that idea icon_wink.gif
- Other than the obvious-yet-ignored tie-in to its predecessor, I imagine that someone must have at least considered some take on the term "going viral" for the title
- Interesting meta joke about trailer-only scenes during the credits icon_wink.gif Plus their very own amusing take on a certain decade-old meme after that
- rolleyes.gif : You'd think at least one of them might have known how auctions actually work... You'd also think Ralph would think twice about using an "insecurity" virus when his bestie's defining trait is "being glitchy"...
- Gotta appreciate the audacity of having a big flashy song and dance number taking place in Not!GTA... and having a radio-friendly slow-jam version of the song (really, I heard it on the radio a few days after I caught it in the cinema)
- New characters were pleasant enough... But for those who liked the Felix and Calhoun romance in the first film, there's been some grumbling about a subplot of theirs getting cut, then reduced to a meh gag in the epilogue
- Shower thought trivia: This film has an actor from the original playing a different character than before (Alan "King Candy" Tudyk as a search engine) and a returning character getting a new voice actor (Taffyta goes from Mindy Kaling to SNL's Melissa Villasenor)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 6:03 PM