Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Tecna's Diary, Tecna's personal diaries 5+ to see this diary!!
Candyiz789
post Jan 3 2008, 6:41 PM
Post #1

Butterflix Fairy

Group: Members

- May 1st 1995 - *4 years old*

Hello, My name is Tecna, I was born on the 16th December; My fairy sign is Tritoh, I come from Zenith, The technology planet.. Ooh.. And i love science!

You know, most of the inventions that changed the world carry an interesting story behind them. Understanding the forces that pushed such inventions should also enable us to handle better modern innovations.
Let’s find more about the invention of the ballpoint pen!
Necessity is the mother of invention, no doubt.

Ladislao Biro, an Hungarian, was a sculptor, a painter and a journalist. But he was also a printer’s proof reader, and the need to incessantly refill his fountain pen from a bottle of ink was driving him crazy.
In the early 1930s he and his brother Georg, a chemist, started experimenting with a pen that would not need to be refilled and would not smudge the pages.
Biro had noticed that the type of ink used in newspaper printing dried quickly, leaving the paper dry and smudge-free. He decided to create a pen using the same type of ink. The thicker ink would not flow from a regular pen nib and Biro had to devise a new type of point. He did so by fitting his pen with a tiny ball bearing in its tip. As the pen moved along the paper, the ball rotated picking up ink from the ink cartridge and leaving it on the paper. This principle of the ballpoint pen actually dates back to an 1888 patent owned by John J. Loud for a product to mark leather. However, this patent was commercially unexploited. Laszlo Biro first patented his pen in 1938.
In 1943 the two brothers moved to Argentina, and there they found someone willing to finance their invention. They started selling ballpoint pens in Argentina under the name of Birome, and soon they opened a factory in England to provide pens to the Royal Air Force.
The pen used to be publicized as the only pen that could write under the water. In the first promotional event 5000 customers (who apparently longed to write under water) gathered in a square to watch the demonstration. After a couple of years BIC Corporation bought the company, and the rest is history.

This is just telling you one of my favourite things!

My favourite videogame is Return of the Tecno-Zombies circa 1989.

I'm smart for my age, I know Pi already!

See ya for the next Entry

laugh.gif Tecna x x laugh.gif

--------------------

Thanks to Jahnavi for the sig and avvy =)

Candii..xxx
Go to the top of the page
BloomKianna
post Jan 31 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #2

Tynix Fairy

Hi so you copied Abby's Idea of having a character's diary. THAT'S gr8, I read up to "and the need to incessantly refill his fountain pen from a bottle of ink was driving him crazy" today. Anyways did you read the latest entry of Layla's diary yet, I write it? So good job and keep writing. Can I make a comment?

--------------------

Thanx for the graphic my BF METB By dragonfire
Thanx Fa
WinxFairyAlianne
post Apr 2 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #3

Sirenix Fairy

Cool Diary!

--------------------
Candyiz789
post May 25 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #4

Butterflix Fairy

- June 25th 1997 - *6 years old*

I am in Year 2 and my grades are very high, I act like a high school student! This is great!
My teacher wants to keep me in her class but the government are moving me to high school.

I hope it will be great!

Tecna

--------------------

Candii..xxx
Zhanneel
post May 25 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

{this is the bomb! =P I'd love to read about Tecna. More details about her life too would be great. And I love how you incorporated scientific/historical facts into her diary writings--an educational plus icon_wink.gif}
Candyiz789
post Nov 9 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #6

Butterflix Fairy

**APRIL 8TH 2000 - 8 YEARS OLD**

Its been a while before I posted. I'm 8 now and I have been transferred to college. I dohn dont don't think that I am normal, I have a very big brain... but... it seems like i'm missing out on a good life..

I'll post later after i've postponed crying.

Tecna xx

--------------------

Candii..xxx

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:50 AM