Add Reply
> Notifcation updates to MagixClub -- FB style
Zhanneel
post May 4 2012, 1:18 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Hello again MC! (for anyone who remembers me?)

Well I do have a suggestion/idea of sorts that I think might make Magix Club more interactive. I'm sure 99% of all MC-ers on here have or know of Facebook? I have really enjoyed the use of their active notification system. Perhaps something like this could be applied to our forum? It might be a challenging feat for our admins, but I wonder if it's possible:

I doubt very much that we would install it just as FB does or use it for the same notifications, but might we adapt it here for a forum? A new friend? A new PM? A new... uh, something? I believe having active notifications will help on a (hopefully soon more) active forum. Instead of opening lots of tabs and refreshing every few minutes, might there be a way to be on a few pages and notifications alert us through an active system? Streamlining would be very beneficial (and save my computer screen from much chaos).

Or maybe this has already been suggested and it is not feasible? Just thought I'd throw it at the idea wall and see if it sticks. Ha.

This post has been edited by Zhanneel: May 4 2012, 1:20 AM
Go to the top of the page
mightymarty2
post May 4 2012, 8:06 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Well PMs do come up when you get a new one and others you can have e-mail notifications about but I do see your point about it being easier and on one web page

Unless you mean linking it to facebook, then thats most probably not the best idea with the younger members on here.
Reason for edit: Added point

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Zhanneel
post May 4 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Oh definitely not linking it to Facebook accounts in any way. Users should always be responsible for giving out their own contact information, including Facebook. I can definitely see that with younger members it's important to protect all privacy for them.

Hmm, the notification idea might be a little tricky for a forum page like we have put together on MC, so I would understand if it's not feasible.

At any rate, I still dig the interactive, real time shoutbox. That was a great addition to the site a few years back.
mightymarty2
post May 4 2012, 6:30 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Ok I was just unsure if that was what you meant. So I felt the need to make that clear.

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
humbu111
post May 6 2012, 6:21 PM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

This sounds like a really good idea to me! Maybe, like facebook, users could have the option of what to be notified for. For example, you could subscribe to certain subforums or individual topics or even if someone posted after you in the shoutbox :)

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

winxclubrox23
post May 6 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

I'm pretty sure you can subscribe to topics and things, and then the board emails you when new posts have been added. I remember I accidentally did that once when CBNG was still up and it was like, 83918391891 emails in one day, so in that sense it could be a bit of a pain. However, if there were a way to keep it organized like Facebook, then that would be a fabulous addition to the board.

--------------------

Thanks to Ditty for the userbar! Llamas by CookiemagiK on DA
Abby
post May 7 2012, 1:58 AM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

I think it is a great idea. The emails can be annoying and I don't have mine sent there anyways because I don't check my email regularly in the first place. It would be cool if there was a way to subscribe to a topic and whenever someone posts in that topic have it pop up at the top of the page.

Again, I'm not sure if that is possible, we would need an admin to figure that one out.
Zhanneel
post May 7 2012, 4:43 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

QUOTE (humbu111 @ May 6 2012, 02:21 PM) *
This sounds like a really good idea to me! Maybe, like facebook, users could have the option of what to be notified for. For example, you could subscribe to certain subforums or individual topics or even if someone posted after you in the shoutbox :)

Hmm, I like that idea. Maybe only for a very specific number of topics we subscribe to, and only those, would blink, light up, show a pop-up icon, or whatever active notification animation that is created on some toolbar someone on our screen? I would say don't do that for active RPGs! That might blow up your screen... Maybe for slower moving topics that you don't feel like refreshing "View New Posts" button every 5 minutes. Like Tea said too, we'd have to be careful how fun we run this idea so it doesn't blow up in our faces, ha.

*log on in the morning*

[Alert: You have 2,334,532 active notifications.]

"Whhhhyyy must I be so popular!!"

mightymarty2
post May 7 2012, 7:53 AM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Yep that would get annoying that why I have never set up e-mail notification. I think it could work well for things like the season 5 topics

@Zhanneel funny pic plus commentary

--------------------
Zhanneel
post May 7 2012, 3:30 PM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Happy you got a nice laugh from an old (but good) pic. : )
Abby
post May 8 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #11

Cosmix Fairy

haha all of my winx pictures are from that time. I have nothing from season 4 or the second movie really, plus they aren't even on my computer since I got a new one. They are on an external hard drive since it takes up too much memory.
bloom_daphne
post Aug 20 2012, 3:56 AM
Post #12

Bloomix Fairy

I made a fan-page for Magix Club a while ago. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magix-Club/195011477261506

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:55 AM