Add Reply
> Halo Zero, A decent 2-D fanmade prequel to Halo
MorriganAensland
post Nov 5 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

http://halo-zero.en.softonic.com/

I stumbled across this while trying to find "Blow me Away" on the Halo 2 OST. It's a very basic game, trying to capture the nature of the Halo games. You've got your shield gauge which recharges after enough time, health below it, and weapons. The game is played with the keyboard and mouse, the former for movement and weapon control, the latter for using your guns and grenades. The weapons are all taken out of the original Halo, keeping their purpose. Plasma weapons overheat, Needlers can adjust their path slightly to hit enemies, etc. Ammo amounts are the same too. There's even a few vehicle levels.

Overall, the game's okay but seriously lacking. In trying to replicate the original Halo, they forgot they're making a 2D game, making the aiming mechanics a little clunky. The sniper rifle is nearly useless due to its slow firing rate and it interface requiring you to fire any time you look in the scope (which just moves over the screen a little more so you can see what's ahead), and most of the enemies are fairly generic. Run at them, shoot and kill them before they kill you. If your shield gets low, run away because they won't chase you. You'll have to change weapons a lot, but the numerous bodies littering the ground doesn't make that hard.

The "vehicle" stages are also very badly handled. Your aiming mechanics are bad, as is the gun's fire rate. So instead of getting a quick drive through enemy ranks, you'll find yourself crawling along, because it seems the Covenant forces *cannot be run over*.

I beat it in about half an hour. It's fun if you just want to kill stuff without much difficulty, but I'll take Cave Story over it any day.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 1:40 AM