Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Thoughts on the Selkies, And how they compare with the pixies
SpiderBraids
post Nov 1 2012, 9:05 AM
Post #1

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

For the past few episodes, the Winx have been bonding with the Selkies, little creatures guarding the gates leading to the oceans of various planets. Of course, many of us remember when the girls bonded with the pixies in S2, and that particular bond was supposed to be unbreakable. Yet they've been more or less sidelined since S4 in favor of other cute companions for the Winx. One major difference between the pixies and their replacements IMO is that the pixies had unique personalities, while so far the Selkies have all seemed interchangeable, making them somewhat less memorable. Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts on these new companions.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post Nov 1 2012, 9:19 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I never really cared for the Winx's Cutesy companions besides Keeko and Pepe, who I love. The Pixies were okay, with some awesome ones mixed in (Zing, Discorda, Concorda and Livy RULE.)
The Love and Pets? Urgh... the only humor I got out of that was Keeko (Rightfully) acting all jealous and indignant around them.
Selkies? Pixies 2.0, without the occasional awesome one mixed in.
I'm glad that most of the time, these cute critters have at least an attempted connection to the overall plot, but mostly, I just don't care.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Nov 1 2012, 9:19 AM
Sen
post Nov 1 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #3

Butterflix Fairy

They're cute... but that's it. I don't like the Selkies because they don't really seem to be very useful for the plot.

--------------------

By dittadulla <3~ @_@

Winx Club & Rainbow -- Translated articles: http://incantesimo.lareveuse.net/
mightymarty2
post Nov 1 2012, 6:28 PM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I am not a fan of the Selkies while I see the point of them. I just could see them being pointless. As what have they done when they appear every time the Winx dive under water

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Marswinx85
post Nov 1 2012, 7:26 PM
Post #5

A True Fairy

i think they are cute and so far layla, stella and musa have one and so we need 3 more to bond with bloom, techna and flora. And they have been useful they help the wink many times, but lets see what this sun will bring icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------
I am huge Sailor Mars fan and Winx fan!!!
Avatar credit goes to Screaming Romeo!
humbu111
post Nov 1 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I don't mind them over all, they're interesting as magical creatures, but I dislike the bonding because it seems so unnecessary. I actually really liked the pixies because of their personalities and how they all (except for Digit) served as foils to their bonded fairies. But the selkies are so forgettable in comparison and not unique that I don't even bother remembering their names. Also, I wonder if selkies can bond with more than one fairy because if, for example, Crystal wandered down to the Linphea ocean gate, would she bond with the selkie there? Cause it doesn't make sense for the selkies to be just reserved for the Winx Club, that would be way too huge of a coincidence. Also, we've seen Layla and Stella's selkies just happen to appear in whichever ocean their fairies are currently in, what are they doing not guarding their respective gates now that their powers are restored lol? Lastly, if the selkies hold so much power and guard the gate to an entire realm, you'd think they'd be a bit more powerful and be able to put up more of a fight when confronted.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Zhanneel
post Nov 1 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Lol, nicely said Humbu. I agree.

Overall, I find them unnecessary, and serve only to cute-ify the Winx universe. I guess I knew going into this season there was going to be some kind of "cute" guardian for each of the girls to bond yet again with... so I can't say I'm shocked. Disappointed? Yes, because I know the writers can do better than this. It's as if they've lowed their creative standards in the last 2 or 3 seasons for trivial, obvious, and challenge-less plots. The Selkies are not overly cute looking, so that is a plus. Do they have any real personality, do they add anything to the richness of the plot? Eh, no... In reality they are just a plot device, to conveniently help the girls find Sirenix, and then be forgotten. Just like the Pixies. Plot devices irk me because I much prefer to see enriching characters in the movies and tv shows I watch. The Selkies are not exactly enriching and full of character.

They could just as easily be replaced with a wooden arrow sign jabbed into the sea floor bottom that says "This way to the Gem of *blah* here".
aqua_pearl
post Nov 6 2012, 3:07 AM
Post #8

Sirenix Fairy

They're cute and all but they're pretty useless guardians. Doesn't seem to take much to overcome them.
Abby
post Nov 6 2012, 4:47 AM
Post #9

Cosmix Fairy

I basically agree with everyone here, I find them irrelevant to the plot. It feels forced and too lovey dovey for my liking, as well as a copy of bonding with pixies in season two (which I grew to like but now don't get it because they never show the pixies anymore).

I also agree with humbu about their powers. It doesn't make sense to have the ocean's portals guarded by these tiny creatures who are so easily beaten in less than a minute. They don't seem that powerful at all, and don't have their own personalities. Plus I dread each episode now, having to watch the whole bonding sequence. It's so cheesy at this point. "Ohh you gave me back my powers!! I love you!"
Zhanneel
post Nov 9 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #10

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Right on Abby and Humbu. I was thinking that exact thing about their powers yesterday. Every time Tritan boy fights them he actually gives them the chance to show him their power. And it falls flat. Every time. So... why are they guardians again? Why not a huge water dragon instead? Tritan boy all but just steps out of the way to dodge the embarrassingly low power blast of the Selkies.

I'm cracking up at your last line there Abby. The Selkies adoration is definitely overkill, lol.
Yayoi
post Nov 22 2012, 5:47 AM
Post #11

Mythix Fairy

I'm only up to Episode 8 and by from what I have been reading, they are weak. So far, they look really cute, but as most of the people say above, they are only cute and have technically no power. With the bonding, its just really annoying. I pretty much don't get it. So I was watching Episode 8 and like seriously how do they know that Sonar is going to bond with Musa, unlike with the episode of the pixies bonding, they didn't know that there was such a thing as bonding and saying "they're bonding!" Is getting annoying already, I've only past 3 so I don't know how I'm going to survive.

Comparing with the pixies, I find the pixies interesting-er they have different personalities and don't say "they're bonding," which is annoying. Pixies are better, because that was the original idea ans Selkies are just based off the idea. Just as they say the first movie is almost always better than the sequel.

This post has been edited by Yayoi: Nov 22 2012, 5:48 AM

--------------------

Credit goes to Di Zio for this awesome signature!
"Happiness is letting go of what you think life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is."
Abby
post Nov 22 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #12

Cosmix Fairy

QUOTE (Yayoi @ Nov 22 2012, 12:47 AM) *
I'm only up to Episode 8 and by from what I have been reading, they are weak. So far, they look really cute, but as most of the people say above, they are only cute and have technically no power. With the bonding, its just really annoying. I pretty much don't get it. So I was watching Episode 8 and like seriously how do they know that Sonar is going to bond with Musa, unlike with the episode of the pixies bonding, they didn't know that there was such a thing as bonding and saying "they're bonding!" Is getting annoying already, I've only past 3 so I don't know how I'm going to survive.

Comparing with the pixies, I find the pixies interesting-er they have different personalities and don't say "they're bonding," which is annoying. Pixies are better, because that was the original idea ans Selkies are just based off the idea. Just as they say the first movie is almost always better than the sequel.

I think the pixies are better too because they just were more developed characterwise. Like you said, each one had a different personality and clearly looked different. To me the only difference in the selkies is the color they are.
musa225
post Apr 27 2013, 2:47 PM
Post #13

Tynix Fairy

the pixies were stronger and were able to put up more of a fight, the selkies just show them around the infinite ocean

--------------------

Click on the image above to join in on the fun! Send me a message when you do.
***xoxx***

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 8:24 PM