Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Add Reply
> Some PC help, Wouldn't you know it? - Boo needs help with Windows XP
Boo
post Jan 20 2010, 3:05 AM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Alright, I'm just going to make a note of this before I describe my dilemma (which probably requires a simple fix that most people know.)
I'm currently a Mac user (and always will be) and have been using Apple computers since I was 3 (I would post a picture as proof, but have decided against it.) tongue.gif So just keep in mind that all of this PC stuff is, well, new(er) to me. I use Windows XP at school and at work, so it's not all fresh and unknown to me, but I still am in that "slowly and reluctantly getting used to it" stage.

Anyway, I recently (as in, last year) bought a cheap laptop that runs Windows XP (mind you, an extremely slow and temperamental laptop. It hates me. Keep this in mind when replying with some assistance as well. icon_mrgreen.gif) My problem is, when I leave the computer idle for three minutes, my screensaver starts to run. Yes, normal. But after a longer period of idleness, when the screensaver has all but faded into a blank, black screen, and when I attempt to wake my computer from this sleeping phase, a screen comes up that claims that the computer has been locked and I need to log in.

Two questions about that: can I disable that somehow? I really get tired of unlocking it (call me lazy, but I'd just like to tap the space bar and go directly back to what I was previously doing.)
That, and I have forgotten my password (dun dun dun.) Which means, instead of the normal unlocking process, I just totally shut down the computer and restart (there's got to be a smarter way to go about this). Is there any way to retrieve a, erm, forgotten password?

Any help at all would be so very greatly appreciated! I use the computer when I'm at work, and, as you may imagine, when you're in the middle of the design process of a project and you're forced to shut down your computer, it really ruins your day. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
Go to the top of the page
humbu111
post Jan 20 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

When it sleeps like that its called standby. Okay I'm not sure about these, but you could see if they work.
Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes [you might be able to skip this one depending on which control panel view] > Display > Screen Saver tab > at the bottom, under "Moniter power" click the "Power" button > the last drop down is "System Standby", so you can change how much idle time it takes to standby to Never .

To change the password:
Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > under "or pick an account to change" click Administrator > Change My Password
Oh wait actually, I'm not sure if you'll be able to change it if you dont know what it is currently :S

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Boo
post Jan 20 2010, 3:39 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy

Thank you so very much! I will definitely try both methods when I use the computer again. :)

(Sorry if they were silly questions, by the way.) icon_mrgreen.gif

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
humbu111
post Jan 20 2010, 3:55 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

No probs, I hope it works (: And they werent silly lol, just simple hence I was hopefully able to help icon_razz.gif

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

wkw427
post Jan 21 2010, 1:56 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

Do this

-right click the desktop, select properities
-click the screensaver tab
-(optional, disable screensaver. It uses processing power which just drains battery life)
-click the power button
-(optional, change turn off monitor to 1 min, saves power)
-set turn off hard disks to never
-set system standby to something like 10-20 min
-set system hibernate to something like 30-1hr
-click the advanced tab
-uncheck the Prompt Password when Computer resumes from standby button

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
Boo
post Feb 7 2010, 4:22 AM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

Thanks to you both! ^_^
The prompt password box was the one I was particularly looking for (since I do not know my own computer's password... How smart.) Thank goodness I do not have to worry about unsaved work when my screensaver starts up. (*sniff* I could have rescued that psd had I changed the settings before)

Thanks again!

--------------------

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 1:18 PM