> Unschooling
Rating 1 V
wkw427
post Apr 19 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #1

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1574965...ooling-19218933

What are your thoughts on it? I agree with the JuJu woman. There is a large gap between the idealistic utopia and reality.
Those kids are going to be ignorant.. Life shouldn't be about having fun and doing what you want to do, it should be about knowing as much as you can about as much as you know there is to know about, and doing what you HAVE to do. I bet the people who take your trash away would rather be doing something else, likewise with the people who clean your water

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
Go to the top of the page
P-girl
post Apr 20 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #2

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

That last bit was a bit out of line. It came out as if people who take out trash are 'lesser' then us. No. They aren't. Please respect people with other proffessions.

That being said, I'm not a fan of 'Unschooling'.

mightymarty2
post Apr 20 2010, 6:58 AM
Post #3

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Schools while most kids most probably hate them and would rather not go. They are needed as how do you know physics is better than chemistry and biology (in my opinion) when you will most probably learn nothing about it. People need to learn things to make informed choices to get on is life, in the UK its hard enough to get a well paid and good job without a degree (ignoring footballers). To get this you need an education which you are best going to school for as they are trained to teach what they are teaching.

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Jahnavi
post Apr 20 2010, 7:07 AM
Post #4

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

In the UK its hard enough to get a well paid and good job without a degree (ignoring footballers).

It's the same story all over the world, Marty, lol. And even in the case of footballers and other sportsmen, you have to be very lucky to make it as a professional athlete at that high a level. Take Sachin Tendulkar, for example (Indian cricket player, for those of you that don't know). He's one of the most skilled and successful players in the world, and he never even graduated high school. Yes, he's incredibly talented, but he's also very lucky. It's a one in a million shot, not every great athlete can make it, despite their talent. So I think, unless you can't afford it, a good education is necessary for anyone and everyone.

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
wkw427
post Apr 20 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

QUOTE (P-girl @ Apr 20 2010, 01:22 AM) *
That last bit was a bit out of line. It came out as if people who take out trash are 'lesser' then us. No. They aren't. Please respect people with other proffessions.

That being said, I'm not a fan of 'Unschooling'.

That isn't what I am saying.

Garbage men may not like their job, but they have to do it. A lot of people may not like their job, but they have to do it because it is usualy the only thing that are able to do, or they are lucky enough to even have a job

--------------------
A.K.A. BANJOGATE

Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I give my sincerest apologies if anything that I have mentioned in a post or image by me or relating to me, any word, ASCII character, vowel or constant is to be considered offensive in your native tongue. If it is, remember you're on the internet.
P-girl
post Apr 20 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #6

Cosmix Fairy

I see.... sorry, it was morning and only had a minute to read and/or post.

But yeah, I agree. Life's not all fun and games and rainbows and unicorns. Some things HAVE to happen. Also, these unschooled kids are completely sheltered from the real world. Once they get out of their mother's wings..... I don't think it's going to be pretty.

This post has been edited by P-girl: Apr 20 2010, 12:15 PM
Another Morning
post Apr 20 2010, 8:16 PM
Post #7

Cosmix Fairy

I'm pretty sure it's a terrible idea. There are kids out there like me and my brother and my friends that if given that kind of choice, will not do what needs to be done for us to get ahead. We need structure and for somebody to be there and tell us that we have to do this if we like it or not. Letting kids choose to do whatever they want isn't going to do them any favors at all.

--------------------
RIP Falicia (AngelDarkstorm, Anime-Princess) :: 01/19/1990 - 05/25/2013 :: I love you, Sisser.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." ~Oscar Wilde
Jahnavi
post Apr 21 2010, 6:04 AM
Post #8

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Yup, especially considering the fact that you let them choose while they're still young. They could end up picking something they turn out to totally hate, but they'd be stuck with it.

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis

Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 4:25 AM