6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Add Reply
> Thoughts on 4Kids' edits
SpiderBraids
post Aug 7 2012, 3:37 PM
Post #21

Bloomix Fairy

Group: Members

Moving on to "Miss Magix", we start with a pretty big edit, in which a whole scene gets edited out...

Unedited: We open in downtown Magix. Bloom and Fake!Brandon are at a cafe. Bloom talks about her search about Daphne, and notes that the library won't let Bloom search about her (in both versions, a few episodes back FG told the librarian to deny her requests about Daphne). We then head over to Flora's exam, where she talks about how she prepared for it.

Edited: We just open on Flora's exam, and she has a bit of a talk with Palladium about dead planets (and yes, 4K does use the d-word). (Note that in both versions, we don't see the exam itself.)

Miss Magix pageant, and one of the contestants is crying backstage.

Unedited: Her hair was straight, and it's implied that the Trix have made her hair gone afro.

Edited: Her hair was apparently always afro, and here the contestant accidentally ruined her voice with a spell gone wrong. (I originally thought it was the Trix that did it, but running the dialog through a sound editor revealed the truth)

While I can understand not wanting to offend those with real afros, I thought it was more, shall we say, entertaining for the Trix to screw with the contestant backstage than for her to screw up on her own, but I got a reply preferring the latter by far, simply because it was different.

Clothes edits:

Unedited: Stormy has a panty shot, while during a scene of all the contestants gathered at the end of the pageant, one girl's in a bikini.

Edited: Stormy's skirt being redrawn to cover her panties is well-known, while bikini girl has had her outfit replaced with something more modest.

This edit was already known and well-discussed back when the ep premiered in the US:

Unedited: Icy breaks the illusion on Lucy, leaving her humiliated. (The Trix were discussing this point back stage.)

Edited: Bloom suspects something and uncovers the illusion on Lucy.

There were those who liked Icy breaking the illusion as an indication of how cruel she could be, but there were also those who liked Bloom breaking the illusion. (Incidentally, the Trix never knew Stella was competing in the original, but were specifically targeting this plan against Stella in the dub.)

Later on, Stella takes her exam, and because she was studying all night last night after the pageant, she doesn't do well at all, getting caught in her own growth spell. This particular change must have bugged some viewers...

Unedited: Palladium hates to see his students fail, but he has no choice but to give her an F. As Stella sobs into Bloom's shirt, he tells her to study harder. Bloom tells her that for now, the future doesn't look so bleak: vacations are coming up. Yay!

Edited: Palladium lets the chamber give her a grade... and she passes. Bloom decides to celebrate with manicures and milkshakes. Yay?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
Abby
post Aug 9 2012, 7:45 PM
Post #22

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I don't understand the whole redrawing of outfits to make the more "appropriate". How is a bikini not appropriate compared to the outfits that the girls wear in the first place? Plus it's just realistic that bikini's are worn by most women today.
SpiderBraids
post Aug 11 2012, 1:43 PM
Post #23

Bloomix Fairy

QUOTE (Abby @ Aug 10 2012, 02:45 AM) *
I don't understand the whole redrawing of outfits to make the more "appropriate". How is a bikini not appropriate compared to the outfits that the girls wear in the first place? Plus it's just realistic that bikini's are worn by most women today.

Yeah, but at the beach. Bikini girl was the only contestant wearing such a revealing outfit in the final lineup.

Quick one from episode 13:

Unedited: We open in Gardenia. Vanessa has to help her cut carrots because home ec isn't exactly Bloom's best subject. As Vanessa is talking to her about how much she's grown, there's an oven fire. Bloom puts it out, and Vanessa tells her she's amazing. Bloom says, "Alfea doesn't offer home ec classes, but it's a cool school for fairies."

Edited: After a quick opening scene at Alfea, we head to Gardenia, where Vanessa's planning to tell Bloom about the day she was adopted, but there's an oven fire that Bloom has to put out. Somehow, the discussion doesn't happen until the end of the episode. (Meaning that Bloom already knows that she's adopted in the 4Kids version.)

To me, it made more sense for Bloom to be all wide-eyed upon finding out that she was adopted, rather than how she was adopted. However, another viewer thought that hiding the adoption and later revealing it dramatically was cliche. I'd argue that the drama of the reveal (Bloom's reaction etc) makes more sense in the original.

Moving on to episode 14, we deal with Mirta at CT.

Unedited: We open at CT. Griffin has just asked Mirta a simple question. Mirta answers that the 1st night of a full moon is a bad time to cast a transformation spell because the light rays may cause interference that could cause undesired, possibly permanent effects. Mirta is correct, but Griffin thinks she's a bit hesitant and points out that a good witch should be more confident. She then notices a classmate laughing at Lucy for appearing at the Miss Magix pageant. Later, Lucy lashes out at Mirta at being humiliated at the pageant (Mirta says that the Trix played a cruel trick on Lucy, which they did, and suggests that she avoid them), and goes on about how she'd rather be one of the Trix than be like Mirta. After Lucy leaves, Mirta decides that she's had it with the Trix.

Edited: After Bloom's exam (see below), Griffin asks about the class' favorite spells. Mirta's favorite is a friendship spell (she details how it works), and Griffin doesn't like it. She then notices a classmate laughing at her and Lucy. Later, Lucy lashes out at Mirta for the friendship spell mention. Scene cuts out immediately after Lucy leaves the room.

This won't be the only time that 4K edits out a reference to an event from a previous episode. I thought the unedited with the reference would be clearly better, but a response I got thought that both versions worked fine.

Next, we deal with Bloom:

Unedited: After another person gets an A on an exam, Bloom is called up to participate. She evades various light beams, and snatches a ball with a rose. She then evades more obstacles, as she reaches a receptacle. FG creates a large blue blob so as to test her reflexes. Bloom sees the blob (8-O < -- smiley of Bloom's reaction as it hurtles down), and she destroys it with a fireball as she puts the rose ball in the receptacle. (And there's not a single line of dialog during the exam... just a few gasps from her friends.) The others celebrate, and FG tells Bloom to get back to her seat as she calls up the next participant, and Bloom de-transforms. (Pictures) Cue scene of Bloom and Fake!Brandon at the ice-cream parlor, with Bloom talking about how she wants to learn about where her powers come from.

Edited: We open at Alfea, where Bloom is the first to be called up to participate in FG's finals. (There's a good deal of dialog here, mostly devoted to Bloom ranting about going first, and an exposition on the test.) She evades various light beams, and snatches a ball with a rose. She then evades more obstacles, as FG creates a large blue blob (some indistinct chatter as it forms). At the receptacle for the rose ball, Bloom sees the blob as it hurtles down (8-O < -- Bloom's reaction)... and then it flash-cuts to the scene of Bloom and Fake!Brandon at the ice-cream parlor, with Bloom talking about failing the exam, and wanting to learn about where her powers come from so she can control them better.

I got a reply thinking it wasn't a big deal since there were no major effects from the result of the exam, but I never liked this edit. The edit doesn't affect the overall plot, but it could also be argued that it does affect how Bloom has progressed as a fairy.

What interests me about this edit is that one of the parts cut out shows the other girls giving high-fives after Bloom passes (because now she doesn't). 4Kids left it out of the actual episode, but used it in a music video and the season 2 opening. HUH.

Quick clothes correction:

Unedited: While the girls talk about Bloom not returning to Alfea, the last shot of Musa is missing her jeans.

Edited: This has been fixed.

Lastly, we deal with a dub-induced continuity error...

Unedited: After reading the book at CT (no narration), Bloom asks Fake!Brandon to take her back to Alfea. She's never actually shown returning to Alfea, although the other girls make a reference to Fake!Brandon taking her back.

Edited: After hearing what the book says about her (with narration), Bloom asks Fake!Brandon to leave her at CT.

The problem with the change is that Kiko wakes her up the next day (unedited: she's heading to Magix to leave, edited: she's heading back to Alfea), and it makes more sense for her to have Kiko if she went back to Alfea first. Other viewers seem to agree. (The Nick version of this scene avoids this issue altogether by not having Kiko there at all [!])

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Aug 14 2012, 1:24 AM
Post #24

Bloomix Fairy

Moving on to episode 15 and WizGiz's envelope...

Unedited: Bloom finds an unmarked envelope on the floor. Bloom thinks it must be the answers to WizGiz's quiz, and she shows it to her friends.

Edited: Bloom finds an envelope on the floor. With a little visual editing, it actually says it's the answers to WizGiz's quiz. (Picture) (The part where Bloom shows the envelope to her friends is cut out as well.)

I got replies preferring the envelope being marked, saying that it wouldn't have been such an issue with an unmarked envelope, and Bloom should have returned the unmarked envelope immediately.

Later on, the Winx have decided to return the envelope. And now, the throwaway comment heard around the world!

Unedited: F (to Musa): "Oh please, give us a break. We all know you're a straight A student." M: "It's true, I did study, but... I've always hated those pop quizzes!" B: "Give it up you two, you always complain about it, and in the end, who gets the best marks? Musa and Flora."

Edited: Bloom's line is replaced so that there is no mention of Flo getting the best grades. The other lines are still in the same gist. (Exact words... F: "I'm sure you'll be fine. You've got the best grades out of all of us!" M: "Yeah I know but... these pop quizzes give me performance anxiety!" B: "C'mon you guys! We're all smart and we should all pass, and who knows? Maybe the test will be really easy!")

The biggest talking point about this episode back when it aired was how it's Musa, and not the expected Tecna, who's the best-graded student in the group. (That they talk about this nonchalantly was even more surprising to me) However, the writers appear to have ignored it ever since...

The envelope turns out to be mud. Yada yada yada about how cheating is bad.

Unedited: Griz interrupts the proceedings to tell everyone that there will be a meeting on the upcoming Parent-Teacher meetings. After the next ep starts with the Trix creating their troll, quite a bit of is spent with the Winx fretting about the meeting and their parents... and having nightmares about the parents.

Edited: We do not see the Griz announce the meeting, but we see the Trix creating their troll instead, and the next episode starts with the Winx discussing a movie they just watched, rather than the upcoming meeting.

It should be noted that the nightmare episode completely ignores the implications of having a parent/teacher meeting, such as what to do with Bloom. So it's somewhat interesting that 4K is cutting the fat, so to speak...

Minor thought on the nightmares in episode 16:

Unedited: Little to no dialog. (The only dialog in any of the scenes is Musa calling out for Riven in her nightmare)

Edited: A good deal of dialog.

Personally, it works better without the dialog (in fact, I could say the same for MANY scenes on this show). However, one of the replies I got thought it was more realistic to have dialog in the nightmares...

And now, on to episode 17:

Unedited: Bloom phones Fake!Brandon to talk about the book at CT (see 1x14). Bloom tells Fake!Brandon that the book was a fake and that the witches did it just because they could. After Bloom gets that out of the way, Fake!Brandon soon ends the conversation... so he can talk to the others about Diaspro. Ooh! Later, when Bloom meets Di, she specifically asks, "Who are you, Icy, Darcy, or Stormy?"

Edited: Bloom phones Fake!Brandon to talk about the upcoming Day of the Royals. Fake!Brandon quickly ends the conversation so he can talk to the others about Diaspro. Later, when Bloom meets Di, she's all "Okay, Icy, I'm here to stop you from sabotaging the festival."

It's hard to defend Bloom's attack on Diaspro, especially when it ended up leading to the Great Witch Invasion, but at least the unedited gives some insight on it... Bloom was probably thinking "I've never seen this lady before, and Brandon has never mentioned her either, yet she's claiming that Brandon is her boyfriend. I've just been tricked by the witches a few weeks ago, so maybe this is another one of their tricks." Still, I've been told that it still doesn't justify the attack.

FG and Grif are sitting next to each other at RF.

Unedited: The witches have been expelled (see 1x16 end), and they talk about that.

Edited: Just read this dialog...

Griffin: I'm 26-G. Don't tell me you're 26-F.
Faragonda: You look radiant. What's your secret? Spell?
G: Hmph!
FG: You and I haven't sat together since the summer of '08.
G: We were both dating that Red Fountain boy.
FG: Prince Jones.
G: We turned him into a goat when we found out he was two-timing us.
(They then go on to talk about school surveys)

When I first compared this, I simply wrote "Unedited for the win!" because I felt that plot-relevant dialog was clearly better than 4K's dialog. Some of the comments I got, however, liked the idea of the 4K dialog giving background character depth for FG and Grif. HUH.

Unedited: So the switch is out. We don't get an explanation, we don't find out if the group's punished, we just have to deal with it for now as we cut to Bloom at the balcony. End.

Edited: So the switch is out. After FG and Griz slap the whole group with a 50% dilution for humiliating Alfea at the festival, Musa discusses the reasons for the switch with Stella (something about Sky wanting to experience life outside of royalty), while Bloom is out on the balcony. End.

Not surprisingly, I got a reply preferring the punishment and explanation for the switch.

This post has been edited by SpiderBraids: Aug 15 2012, 1:17 AM

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Aug 17 2012, 1:20 AM
Post #25

Bloomix Fairy

Bloom decides to return home, and 4K decides that we need an explanation:

Unedited: She walks into a random alley, and with teary eyes she says "Goodbye Magix", before disappearing in a flash.

Edited: She walks into an alley marked "Transportus Station", we hear a voice-over asking Bloom where she wants to go, and we never see her teary-eyed face as she returns home.

On one hand, I imagine some viewers would probably appreciate a better explanation for Bloom going home, but OTOH, the moment is more emotional in the original.

While Bloom's on Earth licking her wounds, we see what's happening at Alfea...

Unedited: FG calls the other Winx in because she was never told that Bloom left. (Next scene we find out that Stella was hoping Bloom would change her mind.)

Edited: FG is denying the other Winx permission to go get Bloom because they were slapped with dilution last week.

Someone thought the unedited version made it look like the Winx didn't really care for their friend.

So the Trix have beaten up Bloom, and Icy tells her story.

Unedited: Daphne is revealed to be Bloom's sister. (We also have Bloom reacting to her finding this out.)

Edited: Daphne is revealed to be... the guardian of the DF. (Bloom's reaction is cut.)

So instead of her sister, some random nymph is taking care of Bloom. By the time Bloom reads her family tree, it's no longer the big deal it should be. I got a few replies disagreeing about Bloom and her guardian being (or not being) related, though...

Unedited: Icy only tells Bloom she's a princess after she's frozen her to the wall.

Edited: Bloom realizes she's a princess after Icy tells her story.

Oh yeah, the unedited also has a nice (if unimportant) scene of Mitzi trying to explain to some other people what happened to her scooter.

Episode 19 is generally intact, except for a little rearrangement, so that in the 4Kids version, part of the CT invasion is first instead of Bloom and Stella returning to Alfea. This episode is more-or-less intact plot-wise, but 4Kids adds a little something to Bloom and Stella's return to Alfea, and Stella taking to Real!Sky on the phone:

B&S's return:

Unedited: Silence.

Edited: B: I can't believe I let them take the Dragonfire. S: Well, it's not the end of the world... Well, it could be I guess.

Real!Sky on the phone:

Unedited: We do not hear the other end of the conversation while Real!Sky is being shown.

Edited: We hear Stella give him a putdown: "Gotta go now Brandon, or Prince Sky, or whoever you are!"

On to episode 20... After a minor change of timeframe for the ultimatum (Unedited: 12 hrs., edited: 5 hrs.) the Winx have assembled in FG's room for a mission.

Unedited: FG tells the gang to go to Domino to find clues about Bloom's past and stuff.

Edited: FG tells the gang to go to Sparx so they can rekindle the DF.

Later, the girls get dressed for their trip.

Unedited: Palladium only explains about the portal that will take them to Domino.

Edited: Palladium explains that their shoes and exposed midriffs "simply will not do", and we hear Griz say: "If I had my way, this would be the year-round dress code."

Finally, some rearrangement.

Unedited: The Winx fight a yeti and Bloom falls into a chasm. Meanwhile, the RF boys land at Alfea. FG fears that the war has only just begun. End.

Edited: The Winx fight a yeti. Meanwhile, the RF boys land at Alfea, and FG tells them about the Winx being on a mission. Bloom falls into a chasm. End.

This post has been edited by SpiderBraids: Aug 17 2012, 1:46 AM

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Aug 20 2012, 3:07 PM
Post #26

Bloomix Fairy

Picking up where we left off from the previous episode...

Unedited: Bloom wakes up in the chasm, and has a short flashback to slip sliding down to where she is right now, before considering herself lucky. Back up there, the Yeti walks past, and while Tecna wants to attack it, Musa prefers to let the Yeti thinks it's rid of them. The girls come across a frozen castle, which Stella decides to defrost, while Bloom walks around the remains of the castle underground.

Edited: After the yeti walks past, Tecna says that the avalanche covered the chasm completely (even though we later see a shot where it isn't covered at all). Musa decides to look for Bloom with an energy sensing spell. They find the castle, and Stella decides to defrost it. In the chasm, Bloom survives the fall due to the padding on her outfit. She explores the underground remains, and hears memories from her past, such as a lullaby and dinner at the palace (which were not there in the original).

Later, Tecna decides to help Stella defrost the castle:

Unedited: Tecna runs a bunch of tecnobabble by Stella as she is boosting her sunlight powers (something about focusing her ion energy and stuff). Of course Stella doesn't understand (hence the "Wha...?" expression), so Tecna runs it by her in plain language: "I'm just making your job easier icon_wink.gif"

Edited: "Now aren't you glad we took that mathematics and magic honors workshop together?" "Uh? I took that?" "Yeah, you did, but it was early and you slept a lot in class :)"

One of the replies cited this change (and Stella shooting ice crabs below) as an example of how the 4Kids version is funnier.

Bloom finds out about her parents:

Unedited: They went into exile thinking that they had lost both of them.
Edited: They had Daphne send Bloom to earth.

And now, the ice crab battle, and a matter of aesthetics...

Unedited: Musa worries about the ice crabs coming in. About 15-20 seconds later, she's hovering in the air and attacking them with a "Sonic Mega Blast!" She floats down, and we get a close-up of her saying HA! Then the Specialists arrive to do their thing.

Edited: The Specialists arrive. Meanwhile, Musa wonders if the ice crabs like rap. She raps for about 15-20 seconds, before attacking them with a "Double Subwoofer Blast!" She floats down, and we cut to the Specs doing their own thing.

And also...

Unedited: (Stella while shooting ice crabs) "Isn't the best offense... (shoots crab) a good defense?"

Edited: (ditto) "The only ice I like is the type I can wear!"

One thing that doesn't change: Real!Sky has broken up with Diaspro, and Bloom is quite happy about it, before cracking a deal with him that she doesn't have to call him "Prince" (but in the 4K version, she calls him "Baby" instead... unsure.gif)

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Aug 26 2012, 3:31 AM
Post #27

Bloomix Fairy

On to episode 22 and Riven in his cell.

Unedited: Darcy gives him a long hallucination sequence with clones of Riven and some monsters. One even mimics his actions as if he was a reflection in a mirror.

Edited: The hallucination is cut out, and we only hear him thinking what he'll say next to Darcy ("You follow Icy around like a wannabe").

Back in the day, I received a reply that suggesting it was "definitely cut-worthy material" based solely on the above description. However, the scene is arguably somewhat more important than the above description suggests, as it basically has Riven owning up to betraying his RF squadmates. Quite a few people disliked this cut when I posted a video about it...

Unedited: Riven picks the lock on his door with a bent nail he found on the cell floor.

Edited: Riven has Lady Griffin (in the cell across from him) spell the bent nail before he picks the lock with it.

unsure.gif

Back at Alfea, Tecna is crying...

Unedited: She says she has something in her eye.

Edited: She says that Bloom's odds of survival are impossibly low.

A recurring reply to notes concerning dialog changes (such as this one) basically amounted to "The original dialog is boring and the 4Kids dialog is better/funnier".

Bloom and Stella have left. The Army is attacking again.

Unedited: One of the battle scenes has Mirta projecting herself from the pumpkin (a la ep 16) to the balcony to see the battle, and then she protects Flora from a monster with a force field.

Edited: This scene is not present in the 4K version.

The return of Riven. He explains his escape.

Unedited: After jumping off the window, a buttress on the CT building broke his fall, and he slid into the dump.

Edited: He used his cape as a parachute thing.

Okay, next ep:

Unedited: About 1/4 of the way through the show, Priscilla and Ortensia talk about the current battle with the remaining Winx. Then Tecna (after getting paged on her "zipper pull") runs off to analyze something about a subspace shield with Timmy. She is slightly googly eyed at Timmy, but resists the temptation to just tell him. (Yeah... a lot like Flora and Helia the next season.) But the scene does end with a bunch of numbers scrolling across a screen before skittling out into a heart shape, as hopefully shown in my avatar (apparently Tecna doesn't quite understand the concept of "love").

Edited: The show starts with the Priscilla and Ortensia scene, and the content is just about the same. Tecna gets paged and runs off. We fast forward almost all the way to the end before we see Tecna again. She's analyzing how big the Army of Decay is with Timmy. We only see the numbers scrolling across the screen, and not the heart that they form.

I liked this scene (see avatar), partially because Tecna is my favorite character. But others felt it was out-of-character for Tecna to fall in love with Timmy rather than focus on the battle. I suppose that's true...

This post has been edited by SpiderBraids: Aug 31 2012, 4:10 PM

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Aug 31 2012, 4:12 PM
Post #28

Bloomix Fairy

Last set of comparisons for season 1, beginning with Episode 24 and Grif's arrival at Alfea:

Unedited: FG welcomes Grif to Alfea, and Grif talks about how FG's students helped her and and the student witches escape.

Edited: FG and Grif have small talk. They both remember a time when Griffin turned a sorority at Alfea into goats, and she left seven inches tall in a jar.

Like with the RF exhibition example from a few episodes back, 4Kids has changed plot-relevant dialog to, well, this. (And again, I got a reply saying character depth wins.)

Later, FG, Grif, and the RF teachers are in FG's room.

Unedited: Everyone is a bit worried about Bloom and Sky, and how the DF has been stolen.

Edited: Everyone discusses how the Trix conned their way into CT.

On to episode 25, with just one biggie edit, and it's major rearrangment.

Unedited: Brief opening scene at Alfea -- > Bloom entering Lake Rocalucce and getting her powers back -- > Flora casts a spell on Mirta, and it works. Mirta tells her the trick was to focus her energy through both hands (which I'm sure has to mean something) -- > The brief Riven/Musa scene -- > Sky arrives downtown -- > The Trix make their thrones -- > The Winx talk to Mirta in the courtyard -- > The nymphs.

Edited: The Trix make their thrones -- > The brief opening scene and Flora casting her spell are combined into one scene. Flora believes that she tried harder -- > The brief Riven/Musa scene -- > Sky arrives downtown -- > The Winx talk to Mirta in the courtyard -- > Bloom entering Lake Chrysalis and getting her powers back -- > The undines.

And on to the season finale, with The Trix making their approach.

Unedited: No dialog, except Icy saying "Alfea" while looking at her powers.

Edited: Over shots of their approach, we hear Icy telling the others who's getting what once they're done with Alfea.

Once again, rearrangement, although much less.

Unedited: The Trix are making a rampage... and then they see a huge wall of fire appear. Bloom the fairy is back!

Edited: The Trix are making a rampage... and then they hear and see Bloom the fairy, who then creates a wall of fire.

This edit was of particular interest to me:

Unedited: Icy decides to let her sisters deal with the other fairies while she deals with Bloom.

Edited: Icy takes the DF away from her sisters as the battle separates.

I'd once read an article written about Icy that pointed out how her attitude (and taking the Dragonfire from her sisters) led to their defeat in S1. With that article in mind, I expected that the author of the article would have something to say about the change. Although she admitted it was a stupid move by Icy, she still preferred Darcy and Stormy falling because they had less power than for no real reason whatsoever.

During the battle...

Unedited: The other fairies and Trix duke it out with each other. Darcy uses a hypnotic dragon, which Musa counters with a sonic blast. Cut to shots of various places that are devoid of people, over sorrowful music. CT. RF. Downtown. The lake. Cut back to the Bloom and Icy tilt.

Edited: The other fairies and Trix duke it out with each other. Darcy uses a hypnotic dragon, which Musa counters with a sonic blast. Cut straight to the Bloom and Icy tilt.

I can see why they cut this. Time constraints!

Icy is done, with a capital D. The teachers talk...

Unedited: FG and Grif talk about how stupid the Trix were to steal the DF, because only Bloom knows how to control it. Meanwhile, Coda receives news that downtown Magix is coming back to life. Show downtown Magix returning to normal.

Edited: Grif wants to retire because the Trix conned their way into CT, and FG talks her out of it. Meanwhile, Coda receives news that they've received some funding to fix RF. Show downtown Magix returning to normal.

FG addresses the student fairies:

Unedited: FG announces she's decided to renew the concept of the modern fairy with a new word: Winx.

Edited: FG announces that there will be no final exams this year. (Between the incidents with the broken simulator and the envelope, you'd think that most of the students here really don't like taking exams icon_smile.gif)

And last but not least...

Unedited: Bloom enjoys the party, and sees the nymphs flying above her. Later at the fountain, Bloom says that there are lots of things she still doesn't get (like her origins), but Sky tells her that no matter what she does he'll always be at her side. END!

Edited: At the fountain, Sky tells Bloom to join the party. Bloom enjoys the party, and sees the nymphs flying above her. END!

--------------------
Abby
post Aug 31 2012, 9:51 PM
Post #29

Cosmix Fairy

I think I like the undedited version of this episode better!
SpiderBraids
post Sep 11 2012, 3:35 PM
Post #30

Bloomix Fairy

After a bit of a hiatus, here we go with the season 2 premiere. Once again, we kick off the season with some rearrangement:

Unedited: LAYLA!!! Blah blah blah. Layla runs into Darkar and gets thrown off a cliff while Darkar takes posession of a bunch of pixies. Over at Alfea, Bloom checks on her friends. Stella is having trouble picking clothes, because her latest outfit she bought doesn't fit her (even though it did at the store). Bloom asks if Stella might need a little Dragonfire help and Stella says forgotten what outfits Brandon has already seen her in. Bloom then discovers the secret archives, and then a pixie. She is not amused that someone discovered the secret archives. After introducing herself as Concorda, she talks about pixies, how pixies bond, and pixie pets. We find out that Concorda is bonded to the archives. Bloom realises she's late for the party and runs. Later, the pixies get drained.

Edited: Alfea. Bloom narrates about what her friends (though for some reason, not herself) did during the summer (for example, Musa had a concert tour and Stella interned at a fashion mag). Stella is having a fashion block. Bloom makes a Stella impression, and Stella is not amused. Bloom discovers the secret archives, and finds a pixie. She's a psychic pixie, and although she wasn't going to do any more readings, she decides to do one for Bloom. Blah blah blah, it leads in to LAYLA!!! Blah blah blah, Layla runs into Darkar, and there are a few more Alfea scenes before we get back to Layla getting thrown off a cliff, and the pixies getting drained.

At the time I thought that 4Kids were afraid that the original order might have made the viewers think, "This can't be Winx... where's Bloom (or insert other favorite fairy here)?" One poster thought that Concorda giving the psychic reading was better (adding that the pixie explanation seemed out of place), and also added a theory about the rearrangement: that it creates hooks before ad breaks, to keep the viewers from looking for something else to watch. This theory probably also explains the way they handled episodes 5 and 11 of the first season...

The edits above took up so much of the show, there's only one more edit to note...

Unedited: After the rebuilt wing is revealed, and just before the Specs head home, they make some chit chat with the Winx. Bloom is hoping to find out more about her origins this year, while Stella gossips about fashion, and when Timmy and Tecna return from calibrating the sim, she says, "Do I have to say more?" Musa adds, "Yet you always do. It wouldn't be Stella if she didn't have the last word." Heh.

Edited: After they arrive at Alfea, the Specs have chit chat. Bloom has heard about Sky canoeing with Diaspro, while Stella gossips about fashion. After gossiping about Tecna and Timmy's fashions, she suggests a small change for Musa. Musa's all "I'm not going to change my pigtails." Heh. Psychic. We then head back to Layla, and then the Dragonfire Wing dedication.

Amusingly enough, Musa would change her pigtails in the premiere of the third season (and it almost seemed as if I was the only one who remembered that she said that!)

--------------------
Abby
post Sep 13 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy

I wish they would have left the opening like it was and also not have changed the whole psychic thing. It would have been great to have an explanation of the pixies right off the bat in the 4kids version.

That is hilarious that Musa said that yet she always changes her hair now. At least in season 3 it was still in pig tails, it was just long. Now it isn't even in pigtails anymore.
SpiderBraids
post Sep 20 2012, 3:27 PM
Post #32

Bloomix Fairy

Moving on to the 2nd episode of S2...

Unedited: Layla introduces herself, mentioning the failed attempt rescue last week.

Edited: Layla introduces herself, adding that she is the Princess of Tides. (Unedited: We only discover her royal life in episode 13.)

Interestingly, Layla is not connected to tides or even H2O in any way. Given her powers and her wavy wings and hair, surely there had to be some sort of connection. But where would her athletic agility fit in?

Next, WizGiz's class.

Unedited: The class about opposite powers is just that. There is no foreshadowing being implied. After Bloom tells WizGiz to talk to Stella about fashion, he just keeps going on about other kinds of powers. Later, Bloom just has a plain bad feeling.

Edited: Class about opposite powers. After Bloom tells WizGiz to talk to Stella about fashion, he slaps Bloom with homework. The end scene has Bloom feeling her opposite getting stronger.

I don't think they really followed on the whole opposite powers thing. At the time, I was wondering "What's Bloom's opposite anyway? Icy? Dark Bloom?" Then S3 came out with Valtor being made from a shard of the Dragon's Flame, and at least one viewer cited this scene.

Musa doesn't understand why Layla could tell she slept four days.

Unedited: Stella explains that wrinkles show the passage of time... except on her of course :)

Edited: Stella comes in and teases Bloom for sleeping.

One reply thought it was good to finally have an explanation of how Layla could tell, but another thought it didn't make sense that she could tell after "only" four days...

Witches at boot camp!

Unedited: There are two separate flashbacks (first one is Stormy's, second is Icy's), and they're not connected to the Trix's anger (at least not with dialog).

Edited: We get only Stormy's flashback, over which she has a teed off rant over their defeat last season.

Darkar gets into action:

Unedited: Towards the end of the ep, Darkar finds out from Kerbog about the Codex being split into four parts, and where they're being kept. He decides to get some sidekicks to make his job easier. He takes the Trix from Light Rock Monastery and gives them their Gloomix.

Edited: Midway through the ep, Darkar decides to get some sidekicks. He takes the Trix from Light Haven. Later towards the end, he gives them their Gloomix (though it is not named as such here).

--------------------
Abby
post Sep 24 2012, 5:15 AM
Post #33

Cosmix Fairy

I don't like how 4kids had to add in the rant with Stormy about last season, it would have been nice if they had left that one alone.
SpiderBraids
post Sep 26 2012, 4:00 PM
Post #34

Bloomix Fairy

Moving on to 2x03...

Unedited: While looking for Piff, Layla runs across Knut with a broom for about 15 seconds. (Remember, he got signed on as a janitor at the end of last season.) Then she meets FG and the nurse.
Edited: Layla runs straight into FG and the nurse.

Next...

Unedited: After she catches Piff, Layla talks to FG. FG tells her that Darkar can suck powers and that makes him dangerous. Then she proposes the mission to the Winx.
Edited: After Layla catches Piff, FG won't let the Winx go to the UnderRealm (leading to the test, below). Later on, Layla talks to FG. FG tells her that good magic is harmful in the UnderRealm.

Classroom. FG has decided that they need to rescue the pixies. However, her enthusiasm on letting the Winx go on the mission differs between the two versions.

Unedited: FG believes that rescuing the pixies is their main priority, and has selected three of the girls to participate in the mission: Layla knows her way around. Bloom has the Dragonfire. Stella has sunlight powers, which are useful against shadow monsters. Meanwhile, Tecna gets shafted into using her technopowers to monitor the situation. Musa asks, what about plant and sound powers? So, FG turns the whole hall into a cave. With no transformation sequence, Flora and Musa are in their fairy outfits. There are no living plants in the caves for Flora to use her powers, while Musa's sound powers cause a cave-in. Meanwhile, Tecna notes that the cave FG made is much better than a computer simulation.
Edited: FG won't let the Winx go to the UnderRealm, telling the girls that it's very dangerous and they have to pass a test before they are allowed to go. The girls convince FG to give them the test, so she turns the hall into a cave. After ad break, insert transformation sequence for Flora and Musa here. There are no living plants in the caves for Flora to use her powers, while Musa's sound powers cause a cave-in. Monsters come. Insert transformation sequence for the other three here. The three of them deal with the monsters. The three pass, while Tecna notes that she couldn't even transform.

I received replies thinking that FG giving them the test was better, and one of them thought that it was cruel for FG to have the "rejects" demonstrate their failures.

FG gets them ready for the mission.

Unedited: FG gives Layla some magical light seeds, to save for repeling shadow monsters.
Edited: FG gives Layla some magical seeds, to save for "any dangerous situation".

You might think that dropping one word from the seed description makes no real difference, but trust me, there is: I got a reply thinking it was illogical in the original for FG to give the light seeds to Layla rather than Stella.

Now, they're in the cave.

Unedited: Tecna is trying to keep contact through geosensing as the girls (and boys) enter the cave. Stella trips over, and decides to transform and use her scepter to light the place up. After we see the boys returning to Alfea and meeting up with Flora and Tecna, Bloom and Layla decide to deal with the monsters that arrive. Layla: "Let's all transform!" Bloom: "So you're a...?" Layla: "Of course I am! YAAAA!!"

Edited: Tecna completely loses contact with the other girls when they enter the cave. Stella trips over, and thinking it may be a monster, decides to transform. Bloom and Layla decide to deal with the monsters that show up. Since Layla has already transformed during the test, Bloom's not surprised anymore. Later, we see the boys returning to Alfea and meeting up with Flora and Tecna.

--------------------
mightymarty2
post Sep 27 2012, 7:34 AM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

The test seems more logical to me as this place drains magic. Just to check everyone can use their powers ok in that enviroment

--------------------
*stella* created this wonderful avatar and SpiderBraids for the rescue and Angel Darkstorm this wonderful signature
Abby
post Sep 28 2012, 9:11 PM
Post #36

Cosmix Fairy

I also like the fact that they had to test to show that Layla is a fairy instead of bloom being surprised when they are in the under realm.
SpiderBraids
post Oct 2 2012, 3:12 PM
Post #37

Bloomix Fairy

Moving on to 2x04, the biggest edit is outside of the main plot... and it's not even a big one at that. Back at Alfea...

Unedited: Riv sits. Riv watches Tec/Tim. Riv says that they sent the best persons to do this mission. He later has an about face with Musa: "If I did go we'd be back by now." Musa cries on his shoulder.

Edited: Riv sits. Riv sulks. Riv says Sal should have sent him. Later, Riv is worried about who Sal did send and Musa cries on his shoulder.

2nd biggest edit is a matter of nomeclature.

Unedited: Amentia calls herself a princess.

Edited: Amentia calls herself the queen.

A few eps later, Amentia's parents show up, and many viewers were probably all, "Wha...?"

Related to last week's edit. The shadow monsters have Layla and co. cornered.

Unedited: Seeds. But no light! However, Stella has what they need (remember, sunlight powers?)

Edited: Seeds. But no magic. Of course, Stella's got plenty to spare.

I will concede that 4K gets rid of the illogicity of taking light seeds into an environment with hardly any light. I also got a reply wondering why FG didn't give them to Stella in the first place if they required light.

2x05, and another small edit back at Alfea.

Unedited: Livy arrives. The pixies disappeared while she was sick in bed after bumping her head. Blah blah blah. Livy is happy to see Piff, and the other girls wonder if she'd have a heart attack to find Layla alive too.

Edited: Livy arrives. The pixies disappeared while she was delivering a message to RF. Blah blah blah. Livy is happy to see Piff, and the other girls (having just menioned Piff a few moments ago) think she's forgetful.

For now, I question making Livy forgetful. How can such a forgetful pixie be a messenger, anyway? I got a reply suggesting that this was meant as comic relief...

Back with the other pixies...

Unedited: Chatta stops Lockette from telling LD where the pixie village is. Chatta tells Lockette that he needs them to find their village (and therefore wouldn't kill them, no matter how much he threatens).

Edited: Chatta gives LD the wrong directions to the village. Even though the picture shows her yelling at Lockette.

Rearrangement of minor importance:

Unedited: Layla swings to the pixies, transforms, tries her powers on it -- > The witches show up and gloat -- > Layla tries elbowing -- > The witches attack

Edited: Layla swings to the pixies -- > The witches show up -- > Layla transforms and tries her powers on it -- > The witches show up, gloat, and then attack -- > (clip of LD and Kerbog from ep 2 discussing the Codex pieces, here they're finding out that Chatta's directions are no good) -- > Layla tries elbowing -- > More of the attack

2x06, and not much to see, except something in the original version that 4K would be proud of. Sponsus is obviously wasted, but he says he's drinking grapefruit juice. For once, something that is TOO clean for 4K standards, as they change it to something called courage brew. Also...

Unedited: Bloom, Stella and Layla ooh-aah about the crystals lighting up the path.

Edited: Bloom, Stella and Layla all talk about how they're planning their weddings.

Unedited: The parrot doesn't interact with Brandon, except for occasionally chiming "107" which seems random until it's revealed that those are the numbers of steps to the altar.

Edited: The parrot says "Life is twisted" etc.

I got a response saying that the edited version was funnier in both of these cases.

Unedited: Brandon has a flashback presented as a series of drawings.

Edited: This flashback is skipped.

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Oct 6 2012, 8:16 AM
Post #38

Bloomix Fairy

On to 2x07.

Unedited: The entire episode is framed with a paper puppet show done by Livy (!)

Edited: The only time we see any paper puppets is when Kiko is cutting them. The ep ends on Sky falling out of the squirrels' tree.

This is probably one of those rare occasions where cutting is justified IMO, because the puppet show seems a bit juvenile.

Other than that, just many minor edits.

Unedited: AFAIK, the obelisk FG is at is the only one. Blah blah blah. The next day, it's sunny, and the Winx run out to deal with the obelisk. The pixies wonder where they're going.

Edited: FG explains that 3 obelisks popped up. Blah blah blah, cut back to Alfea where the pixies wonder why they're outside (thus, suggesting that the Winx have been out there the whole time). Wipe back to the fight. They're not in their robes anymore, and FG's not there anymore either.

Obelisk fight!

Unedited: There's no indication that the Winx lose their powers after firing at it. Some creep in a hood is watching them. Stella asks if they should sit and look at the stone or go back. Cue Flora's brief shower. Except for Bloom, the group apparently chose the latter.

Edited: The Winx apparently lose their powers after shooting at it once (except for Bloom of course!), even though they're still in their fairy outfits. Some creep in a hood is watching the Winx. Cut to ad break, then cue Flora's brief shower (with visual edit: Original, Edited)

I got a reply saying that the unedited makes Bloom look more like a Mary Sue. Can't argue with that I suppose...

Later in some room with FG and pixies... she gives them some jewels.

Unedited: "The situation is extremely critical. These must remain secret. You know what to do." (We later have a brief flashback to this in 1x20, with FG thinking that it might be their best hope after all, before revisiting it in the season finale.)

Edited: FG gives more details. Blah blah blah, LD's looking for the Codex pieces to open a portal to Realix. There is another way to open this portal, but all we know is LD must not find out what it is. (We don't get the brief flashback in 1x20, so we only revisit this plot point in the season finale, 19 episodes later.)

This post has been edited by SpiderBraids: Oct 10 2012, 3:53 PM

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Oct 10 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #39

Bloomix Fairy

On to 2x08, and the renovation of Red Fountain...

Unedited: Musa and Layla discuss the dancing they're doing at the party. A woman walks past silently. Musa thinks for a few moments and realises that Darcy just walked past. Cue chase!

Edited: Musa and Layla discuss the dancing they're doing at the party. A woman walks past and says "Gag me." Musa thinks the voice is familar, thinks for a few moments, and realises that Darcy just walked past. Cue chase!

In the unedited, Darcy is smart not to say anything. On the other hand, in the edited, it makes more sense for Musa to recognize Darcy by her voice.

Over to Tecna and Digit.

Unedited: Digit plays back for Tecna a scene from a video game she programmed. And it has a nice long kiss between Timmy and Tecna. Digit does say it's not finished though.

Edited: Digit makes Tecna play back her dream. Unlike the original, Tecna talks over it. Just as we're about to get to that nice long kiss, she says that's when she woke up.

A reply I got liked the kiss being edited out because it looks better when they're kissing for real later in the season.

Unedited: A worried Amore says, "I don't like that at all," regarding Helia simply letting the ropes off the monster.

Edited: Amore makes a comment about Helia being romantic.

Seriously?

Unedited: Tecna finds the monster's weak spot, under its throat, and Bloom has the specialists attack it.

Edited: Tecna finds the monster's weak spot, and Bloom has the specialists attack, even though we're never told where that weak spot is.

We end with Icy acting ridiculous... in the original (seriously!):

Unedited: Icy is at the scale room. She sees the guards and says "There are too many of them!" and then retreats. Later, she apologizes to LD that the guards arrived first.

Edited: Icy is readying an attack against the guards when LD tells her to retreat. Later, she sucks up to LD on the monster he sent.

Even I don't understand why Icy would just retreat like that, instead of attacking the guards OR waiting for the other two. (AND why would it look like she was preparing to attack if she has just decided to retreat?)

--------------------
SpiderBraids
post Oct 14 2012, 7:16 AM
Post #40

Bloomix Fairy

On to 2x09, with its famous plot hole, but first...

Unedited: We open on a flashback scene of a pillage. Later, we have a scene of Digit in the computer, a short scene where Digit finds a book and tells Tecna to find it in the library. Meanwhile, Lockette snags her dress (trying to play in the computer like Digit is doing), and Chatta gives her a new one, which she will be wearing in many other eps.

Edited: The flashback pillage is shown as part of the scene of Digit in the computer. After an ad break, we go straight to Tecna and Digit in the library, without showing the bit between Chatta and Lockette.

On the one hand, this cut is probably justified with time constraints. On the other, suddenly Lockette's in this new outfit with no explanation while feeding some pets.

4Kids creates a plot hole...

Unedited: Pally introduces his new look, the latest step in his elf evolution. New!Pally teaches how to create a Plasma Sphere, and gives warnings on how to use it. Instead of aiming it at the targets as he tells her to, Amaryl decides to shoot it at Stella, so New!Pally desists the sphere and threatens to expel Amaryl.

Edited: Pally introduces his new look, which he got after a vacation. New!Pally teaches how to create a Sphere of Truth (to discover the true nature of your enemy), and gives warnings on how to use it. Instead of aiming it at the targets as he tells her to, Amaryl decides to shoot it at Stella, so New!Pally desists the sphere and gives Amaryl detention.

My thoughts on New!Pally... what's so un-kid-friendly about evolution? Isn't it a key part of Pokemon anyway?

My thoughts on changing the nature of the sphere... it creates two problems for me: One, we never see the Sphere of Truth show its intended effect (while destruction was the Plasma Sphere's intended effect, and we get lots of it from Tecna), and two, it's inconsistent with a plot twist later in the season. When that plot twist came to light, I pointed out the plot hole and got a reply basically saying, "Well, who's to say that Tecna mastered the spell in one day?" Later, after I found out about the original spell, I discussed the change and resulting plot hole with a fellow fan by email, and that fan also suggested the possibility of Tecna casting the spell wrong. The response went on to say that Amaryl and Tecna must have been pretty nasty to fling such a violent spell at their targets, and suggested that that was why 4K changed it. The fan preferred the Sphere of Truth in spite of its flaws, but I'd argue that the plot hole is reason enough to prefer the original...

Minor one! Swordfighting, and Bloom breaks the sword she's picked.

Unedited: Avalon explains why the other sword was better (it was made with a better alloy). The moral is not to trust appearances.

Edited: Same as unedited, except Bloom was actually going to pick the other sword, and the moral is to trust your first instincts.

In either case, the moral is so totally setting up Avalon to be revealed as evil. Except that it doesn't happen. On to the epilogue:

Unedited: Tecna insists that she attacked Avalon based on a well-known prophecy, and a bunch of observations she made. FG tells her that the prophecy was written by a comedian, and just because it was well-known doesn't mean it's true (there was a scene in Avalon's class that also said something like this earlier).

Edited: Tecna insisted that she attacked Avalon based on her logical conclusions. FG tells Tecna that her logic was flawed. The prophecy itself, however, does not get debunked. (As for the class scene in the original, Avalon was all "I need your complete trust" and stuff.)

Debunking the prophecy gives the writers an excuse (if a flimsy one) to not make Tecna suspicious of Avalon again in, say, episode 19. (There was one time I assumed that Tecna would be renewing her suspicions against him in that episode, and I was surprised to read that she doesn't.) OTOH, I'd think that Tecna would have had this covered...

This post has been edited by SpiderBraids: Oct 14 2012, 7:55 AM

--------------------

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Add Reply
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 2:09 PM