6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Add Reply
> Twilight Series
MorriganAensland
post May 18 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #81

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Members

True, but she had a nervous breakdown since someone leaked the first 13 chapters of it.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
Go to the top of the page
Meru
post May 18 2009, 2:52 AM
Post #82

A True Fairy

And now its up for download on her website I believe icon_razz.gif

It took me forever to read twilight. I play gaiaonline often, and when im hanging out with my friends in the rally youd see a twilight tard or 238947623958 <__< and then all they do is say 'oh edward u r sexi haf mi babiez!' 'eye lurve vampyrez!'

etc etc etc. You can probably see how annoying it could be, and how put off of the series you'd become because of these ridiculous 10 year old girls rabid 'fangirling' over it.

but by mid/late september I caved to my friends insistance that I read it, and bought the first book. Mother bought me the last three for christmas.

I didn't touch them until sometime in March after I watched the movie and wanted a better understanding of it. So I read the first one, and was disgusted with myself because I A) finished it in under two days and 2) enjoyed it sure there were parts where i was angry screaming in my head for the darn woman to cut all the unnecessary crap but...

there was also a "wtf?!?!?!?' moment sometime in the start of the second book, (you know; that 'october', 'november' etc etc all on their own pages*paper waster O:<*) and the angst... oh the angst <___<

But apparently I love angst because i love shoujo manga DX< so I got hooked even more.

needless to say; I'm interested in what they are going to keep in the last movie; and how well they portray it. though after the Harry potter movies 3+ I'm prepared for disappointment v___v

--------------------
Bloomwinxmagic
post May 18 2009, 6:45 AM
Post #83

Butterflix Fairy

I love twilight series too much, I have read all books (5th too) cant wait for the 2nd movie

--------------------

sig is under construction, userbar by dragonfire :) Thanks!
Princess Rissa
post May 18 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #84

Sirenix Fairy

bloomwinxmagic how did you read the fifth one i know you read the first thirteen chaps but did you read it ALL??

--------------------
MorriganAensland
post May 18 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #85

Cosmix Fairy

Ah yes... the angst. The accursed, stupid angst.

Along with the claims they're like Romeo and Juliet. That's kinda stupid.

The whole point of R&J was that young people who think with their hearts rather than their heads when it comes to love bring only tragedy to their relationship and ruin their families and their friends.

--------------------

P-girl
post May 18 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #86

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

It's over here, with an explanation on why Stephenie Meyer doesn't continue it. All I can say to her is: stop bawling and grow a spine. It's the age of information, stuff like this happens. It's fine to be angry, but to go 'I'm not writing anymore' is just plain weak and not fair to the fans of your work.

Midnight Sun
Bloomwinxmagic
post May 18 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #87

Butterflix Fairy

QUOTE (Princess Rissa @ May 18 2009, 03:27 PM) *
bloomwinxmagic how did you read the fifth one i know you read the first thirteen chaps but did you read it ALL??

II meant that I have read 12 chapter

--------------------

sig is under construction, userbar by dragonfire :) Thanks!
P-girl
post May 18 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #88

Cosmix Fairy

The only thing that really doesn't sit me well with this saga is the fact that how it seems (STill haven't read them. Doesn't show up in the library and I'm NOT going to buy them) to underplay it's horror-elements. I mean, from what I've heard, it's a romance story with a side-dish (Or even just a slight seasoning) of horror. Not my cup of tea.
dittadulla
post May 18 2009, 5:55 PM
Post #89

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Journalists

I've only read the first two books, but I can say about both of them, P-girl, that the 'horror' side-plot always pops up in the last pages. Maybe last three chapters {of twenty}. And then it goes back to the romance.

--------------------
P-girl
post May 18 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #90

Cosmix Fairy

Okay, thanks for clarifying. It's nothing fundamentally against the books (More about personal preferences), but if I read about vampires or other creatures of the night, I want it to be scary all the way trough.
dittadulla
post May 18 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #91

Cosmix Fairy

Yeah then Twilight I wouldn't recommend for you, it doesn't even get that scary on the highest point of scariness.

And the most mature scene in New Moon, in my opinion, was When Bella, Edward and Alice passed a crew of people in the Volturi's palace, only to hear screaming and angst when they got out of the room as the crew was for the Volturi to eat.

{Read at your own risk, but no mayor spoilers though.}

--------------------
P-girl
post May 18 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #92

Cosmix Fairy

Now THOSE are things I want in my books. That's horror. That's showing that vampires are predators, not humans. That's working with fear.
dittadulla
post May 18 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #93

Cosmix Fairy

Yes. And the best part is that Bella was frightened nearly to death right after that. xD. Not that I have anything mayor against her, but her being seriously frightened was a good change.

--------------------
P-girl
post May 18 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #94

Cosmix Fairy

As you're supposed to feel when around vampires. I'm not against humanising them, but some books go to far and forget to make them scary.
dittadulla
post May 18 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #95

Cosmix Fairy

That's exactly what Stephenie tends to do.

--------------------
P-girl
post May 18 2009, 6:35 PM
Post #96

Cosmix Fairy

I have nothing against it. A recent book I've read portrayed a Vorlak (Sub-set of vampires, basically they use their tongue (Which is hollow and has a sharp tip) instead of their teeth to bite) to be fairly human, but the book had some good moments were his inhuman sides showed (Behaving like a cornered animal, seeing humans as nothing more as animals to test on. (Yeah, he was a mad scientist.))
MorriganAensland
post May 18 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #97

Cosmix Fairy

I think we can blame the humanizing element on the fact Meyer refused to do ANY research for her series since she wanted her own brand of Vampires, not even bothering to see how others handled horror elements.

--------------------

P-girl
post May 18 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #98

Cosmix Fairy

That, I think is her biggest mistake. Vampires are so well-known and loved.... it's very obvious her standpoint of not researching them and proudly proclaiming it is the wrong one to take.
MorriganAensland
post May 18 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #99

Cosmix Fairy

Indeed.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure had two sets of crazy and unconventional vampires (Stone Mask vampires and Pillar Men vampires), but Araki *knew* horror elements and took them into account. Like many vampires, Dio was arrogant with a very powerful charisma that made men and women alike worship him profusely. He also could suck blood (admittedly with his hands) and was vulnerable to sunlight.

I mean, Araki went for the creepy factor with them and got it. He did at least some research (he prides himself on at least skimming over ideas and conventions) on them and used that as a building block. The Pillar Men vampires were more unconventional and just plain superhumans... which wasn't a problem in the end since part 2 was more an adventure and martial arts story.

--------------------

P-girl
post May 18 2009, 7:54 PM
Post #100

Cosmix Fairy

I had the same with a book introducing Vorlaks (See an above post) a sub-species of vampires, who have their origin in different regions in the world then the classic vampires, altough largely similar. In the books they're portrayed as 'lower' then vampires and also a nice subversion of the fanfiction/Twilight classic of taking away vampires weaknesses, like walking around in the daylight, immunity to garlic...... y'know having all the pros and none of the cons..... Vorlaks have all the weaknesses of a vampire, and only very few of their strengths (Only eternal life, wall-crawling and an advanced physique are shown.... and largely down-played ('Show-off.....Any vampire can do that')).
I really like vampires.

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Add Reply
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:09 PM