6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Add Reply
> Twilight Series
PinkSugar
post Nov 6 2008, 2:47 AM
Post #61

Enchantix Fairy

Group: Members

So. I said I couldn't make it through the series, but I happened to find across a great summary of the first book. Spoilers ahead for those who haven't read, and for those who have, well...

http://shinga.livejournal.com/478415.html

*WARNING: spoilers may have a SOME offensive language, but I don't think it does.*

Don't read if you liked the series and are easily offended.

Though, I showed this to a friend of mine who likes Twilight and she thought it was hilarious, too. But I know some Twilight fans could get easily provoked? Maybe?

Anyways, it saved me from wasting valuable hours of my life, unfortunately, the $14.99 was already spent. I wish I had known just how boring it was going to be before I picked it up. So many people seemed to like it, I thought I'd give it a try, but nope. I'm stil at the beginning of Chapter 3 and it's been over a year. I don't think I'll be picking it up again anytime soon.

And Zhaneel, I'll check out the book next time I'm at a bookstore to see if it looks like something I'd like. ^_^ Thanks for recommending something. I've been looking for a book that I can actually get through without slamming my head on a hard surface.

--------------------

signature by saruvi of AF // suiitsunohime is a name I go by on other boards
Go to the top of the page
Zhanneel
post Nov 6 2008, 3:06 AM
Post #62

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

Aww, I've got similar issues with a book I'm trying to finish =P. I'm forcing myself to finish though before I start the books I really want to read. I too spent the money so I'm trying to own up to it. Bleh.

I hope you like the book (or books if you get into her stories). It's historical in a fictional way, so I hope you like realistic, serious plots. Juliet Marillier is my favorite author. But if you find you don't like her that's okay by me too. Good luck finding something =).
Jahnavi
post Nov 6 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #63

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

Cool, it sounds like the kind of book I'd like. Thanks for suggesting it. ^^

--------------------
"We read to know that we are not alone." - C. S. Lewis
Zhanneel
post Nov 6 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #64

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I hope you'll like it too Jahnavi =). But if not that's okay too.

@Pink Sugar: And that parody you posted is freaking hilarious. Fans and critics of the series alike have been good tempered enough to laugh. xD
PinkSugar
post Nov 6 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #65

Enchantix Fairy

I read parodies of things I like and things I don't like, too. I think it's always good to have a sense of humor about things. I mean, no one is going to like one thing 100% of the time.

That being said, with Twilight, though I really don't like it, I won't condemn anyone who does because I know what it's like to like things (Particularly Harry Potter and Tokio Hotel) that get criticized a lot but also have a lot of fans. And, I'm actually interested in seeing the movie now that I've seen more previews. A friend of mine wants me to go with her, and I figure what-the-hey. I sat through 2 hours of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 being bored, I can sit through Twilight if it ends up being meh. I wonder what the fanbase reception of the movie's going to be like.

--------------------

signature by saruvi of AF // suiitsunohime is a name I go by on other boards
Asher Omega
post Nov 6 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #66

Butterflix Fairy

oh probably like all fans. they'll kick and scream that the movie wasn't like the book at all. The director took too much liberties, they didn't cast the person they wanted for that character's role, the special effects were over done. just look at some of the best examples. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Fans cried out because they completely took out a good portion of the book. I while disliked that the took it out, understood why it was left out. another might be Silent Hill, I personally loved the movie, while a ex-roomie of mine, being a SH fan to the core, loathed it. his reasoning? because they didn't include the part about the devil worshipers. Hollywood, can get away with some stuff, but as soon as someone tries to put some religious stuff in the public rises up in outrage. Ex-roomie still says they could have gotten away with it.

--------------------

OMG I's got a color AVY, first one I ever had on this Forum! And now a new sig! blargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblargblarg
blargblargblargblarg.
MorriganAensland
post Nov 6 2008, 9:11 PM
Post #67

Cosmix Fairy

People always think changing an idea or plot point in a story is bad. That's not always the case.

Case in point: James Bond in Goldfinger.

The bad guy's scheme was so screwy (using a nuke to open a gate, distribute the toxins through the water supply, steal the gold) that the people at United Artists realized they had to change it. The result is such a cunning and near-flawless plan that it would've worked if Bond didn't seduce Ms. Galore, and the Bond movie nearly everyone agrees to be the holy grail amongst the franchise.

--------------------

Hey, look! My sig's back!
P-girl
post Feb 12 2009, 1:37 PM
Post #68

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I don't know how well spread this news is, but.....

Second Blog article

First reaction: You got dissed by Stephen King? OWNED by the MASTER!

A less fangirlish reaction;
Stephen King dissaproves of Twilight. And trust me, if someone knows about writing horror, it's King. Just read Danse Macabre, a non-fiction piece he wrote about Horror and what it's all about. For me, it's another reason NOT to read Twilight.
MorriganAensland
post Feb 12 2009, 2:53 PM
Post #69

Cosmix Fairy

Stephen King knows something about writing in general. Yeah, he's had a lot of problems himself, like addictions, but I've seen a number of the movie adaptations of his books, like Carrie (which he genuinely thinks stayed sufficiently true to the source material) and Stand By Me (not horror, but still a great movie).

And you gotta love Edward's actor. The guy shows a fangirl he's just an ordinary, mundane person (who happens to think the more militant fans should calm down) and she understands and resumes her life.

--------------------

P-girl
post Feb 12 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #70

Cosmix Fairy

I greatly respect Robert Pattinson for his stance in all this. It's healthy and might help some of the more militant fans to calm down.
MorriganAensland
post Feb 12 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #71

Cosmix Fairy

Same with the girl doing Bella. They just refuse to take the series, well, seriously. There's a difference between following a series and ignoring its faults and following a series and lampooning its faults, like with those fan showings of Plan 9 from Outer Space, where you shout "Day!" or "Night!" any time the time of the day changes during the same scene.

And I was hoping to find a particular snapshot of four frames from the movie, but instead I found this.
http://bubble-gum-gir.deviantart.com/art/T...Sucks-106330816
For anyone that watches Hellsing... it's probably even funnier.

--------------------

P-girl
post Feb 12 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #72

Cosmix Fairy

Yay! (Even tough I don't read Twilight, I'm always oddly chipper when another famous vampire lays down the hurt on Edward)
Zhanneel
post Feb 12 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #73

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Hmm, King spoke up? Now if Anne Rice (vampire-writer extraordinaire) were to comment on the trilogy maybe the crazed fans would actually have to listen.
P-girl
post Feb 12 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #74

Cosmix Fairy

Well, they're currently in the old-fashioned 'You're jealous of her writing/succes!'.

*Snort*

We're talking Stephen King here, probably one of the most well known horror writers, and for darn good reason. All of the books I've read of him are good. (Misery's the creepiest book I've ever read), so I don't think that argument goes up.
I'd advice them to pick up one of King's novels.

I wondering as well how Meyers reacts.... I'm going to try and trace this. *Is sucker for drama*
MorriganAensland
post Feb 12 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #75

Cosmix Fairy

Hopefully fangirls won't start shipping MeyersXKing.

That would be disturbing.

--------------------

P-girl
post Feb 13 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #76

Cosmix Fairy

Now there's an unholy alliance.
SuperChick
post Feb 18 2009, 2:25 AM
Post #77

Sirenix Fairy

I Love the Twilight series icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif Have em all

Do you see a patern
my mom bought me Twilight
my grandma bought me New Moon
my mom got me Eclipse
and my Grandma got me Breaking Dawn

--------------------
thanks bloomgirl^^
[/img]
MorriganAensland
post Feb 18 2009, 3:59 PM
Post #78

Cosmix Fairy

*wards fangirl off with a Stone Mask*

Don't make me use this!

--------------------

P-girl
post Feb 18 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #79

Cosmix Fairy

*Joins*
Altough for a different reason. I always like reasons with my judgement. (With some argument on the side)
Princess Rissa
post May 18 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #80

Sirenix Fairy

i'm reading it right now and i'm on Breaking dawn stephenie meyer was suppose to make Midnight sun

--------------------

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Add Reply
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 9:30 AM