Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Add Reply
> Which English Version Of Winx Club Is Better?
4kids or Rai?
Which one do you like better?
4kids English [ 20 ]  [33.33%]
Rai Englsh [ 40 ]  [66.67%]
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
Abby
post Aug 7 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #21

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Former Staff

I find a lot about the rai version cheesy though, they say "my dear" and "oh my heavens" a lot. But then there are also moments with 4kids that I find cheesy as well. I just can't think of any examples right at this moment.
Go to the top of the page
Hirondelle
post Aug 11 2008, 6:30 PM
Post #22

Harmonix Fairy

Group: Members

I noticed that Bloom does say "Oh Heavens" a lot in the RAI version, but to me that beats the heck out of her saying, "You guys" continuously in the 4kids. I can't stand it, and every time she does I want to slap her. ><

--------------------

Faedust Charms
Zentron
post Aug 11 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #23

Butterflix Fairy

The one thing I really can't stand about the 4Kids versions, is the words used in the spells: "Grow Up Acceleratum", "Transportus Back Homus". I'm very tempted to use very very harsh language here to show my disgust at that drivel.... but I won't, I'll just say, that it's just 1 Googolplex percent, lame! (just in case on-one knows what a Googolplex is, it's the largest number you could ever write before you fell asleep marking down all the zero's)

--------------------

- My Winx Club dedicated forum. Wallpapers, images, games, Rai English episode D/L, etc.
humbu111
post Aug 11 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #24

Cosmix Fairy

When do they use "Grow Up Acceleratum"? And they also use "Passus Throughus" and "Flamus Extinguishus" but I dont really mind those spell names.

--------------------

Credits to Bre for the forum set, and Ditty/Esca for the userbar :D

Zhanneel
post Aug 11 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #25

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Group: Admins

I think if they don't really know Latin, they shouldn't pretend to know it either =P. I have come to terms with their usage of silly Latin-type spells, but good grief, why not just come up with their own English spells. Or just keep the original spells from the Rai version.
humbu111
post Aug 11 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #26

Cosmix Fairy

lol I never realised they were trying to make it sound Latin. What were some of the RAI spells?

--------------------

Zentron
post Aug 12 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #27

Butterflix Fairy

QUOTE (humbu111 @ Aug 11 2008, 07:59 PM) *
When do they use "Grow Up Acceleratum"? And they also use "Passus Throughus" and "Flamus Extinguishus" but I dont really mind those spell names.
In the magic chamber test, where they have to choose between two options and Bloom decides to help a lifeless planet, which justs so happens to be Sparks (Domino), she plants some seeds and then says that spell in the 4Kids version.

The lameness almost makes me puke!

--------------------

- My Winx Club dedicated forum. Wallpapers, images, games, Rai English episode D/L, etc.
Boo
post Aug 12 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #28

Cosmix Fairy

Hmm... I'm split between the two.
As much as I complain about the 4kids version (all their edits... eek!); I'd have to say that they have the best voice actors for the characters. They just all fall into place for the characters nicely (especially looking at the voice actresses the Trix had; they fit a lot better). Plus I always liked that Tecna had a British accent; it just seemed to fit as well; even though I am totally outraged that they changed it during season 3... (I liked her voice actress for seasons 1 and 2 the best). The edits 4kids do are horrible; cutting scenes, switching scenes around. Just... not good. But like I said, their voice actresses are very good at what they do. I might like them more because of the fact that I've only really watched the 4kids version of winx, though.
I like the Rai version for the fact that they don't cut things out for no reason and because of the fact that they stick to the original. It disappointed me that 4kids would cut out some rather worthwhile scenes; it was nice to see them in a different version because, for the most part, I wasn't aware of them at all thanks to edits. o_O The voice actors bug me greatly though.
If only 4kids would just leave scenes and names alone. *sighs* (Why must they have 3-4 commercial breaks in a 30 minute cartoon anyway!?)

--------------------
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door, that we do not see the one which has opened for us. -Helen Keller
RenaEnchantix
post Aug 12 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #29

Harmonix Fairy

I think the 4Kids acting is much better than Rai English. have any of you seen the final battle for Rai English, Bloom sounds so...bored in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPq1QxCHX4...7&index=102

I think the boys voices suit a bit better, but the winx club all sounds like...30. I hate Flora's voice, it sounds much too old. if both versions release the movie though, i'll probably watch the Rai English because 4Kids will probably screw a lot of it up, which might be a reason why they're having difficulty getting the rights to it.
Zhanneel
post Aug 12 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #30

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

QUOTE (humbu111 @ Aug 11 2008, 03:32 PM) *
lol I never realised they were trying to make it sound Latin. What were some of the RAI spells?

Here's one episode where the Rai version either copies an Italian spell, or makes a very good sound-alike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLKEo4JK6GI

(Professor Avalon says a spell at about 2:00 minutes into the clip)

Much different from the English spells where we add "um" "is" or "us" to the end of a word to make it sound Latin =P
Abby
post Aug 12 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #31

Cosmix Fairy

I don't really mind the 4kids spells at all, I don't pay much attention to them ever. Your right about the enthusiasm in their voices, I don't hear it. Sometimes they just sound really bored when it is supposed to be an exciting scene.
Hirondelle
post Aug 12 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #32

Harmonix Fairy

Honestly, I hate the fake latin they use. It's just too cheesy and they'd be better off leaving it alone. For example, 4kids has Stella say "Stainus Removus" while in the RAI she simply says "Stain Remove" after watching both, the simple English is just fine.
Also, I think they should leave the pronunciations of character's names alone too. For Chimera, how does "SHI-marah" turn into "KIM-erah"? Just looking at the spelling, the first pronunciation makes more sense, or at least comes more natural, I think.
But I am amazed that 4kids kept a lot of the dialogue in the first episode in season 3. I don't forgive them, but still.

QUOTE (RenaEnchantix @ Aug 12 2008, 08:19 AM) *
I think the 4Kids acting is much better than Rai English. have any of you seen the final battle for Rai English, Bloom sounds so...bored in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPq1QxCHX4...7&index=102

I think the boys voices suit a bit better, but the winx club all sounds like...30. I hate Flora's voice, it sounds much too old. if both versions release the movie though, i'll probably watch the Rai English because 4Kids will probably screw a lot of it up, which might be a reason why they're having difficulty getting the rights to it.
Honestly, I thought her voice was fine for that scene, even if I can see what you mean. I like her voice contained like that because she sounded more focused and not too powerful and mighty. That's a hard scene to voice out in my opinion, put too much emotion in it it might be over the top and cheesy.

I like the guy's voices in the RAI much better, every time Sky talks I don't have to think of Yu-Gi-Oh. D:

This post has been edited by Hirondelle: Aug 12 2008, 6:02 PM

--------------------

Faedust Charms
humbu111
post Aug 12 2008, 6:14 PM
Post #33

Cosmix Fairy

I used to watch Yugioh alot, but I never realised that Sky has the same voice, so it doesnt bother me. And I really dislike the RAI voices, Musa and Layla sound way to soft, and Flora's voice isnt gentle enough. And Stella does sound really bored and it DOES not match her personality.
Even in 4kids, Avalon's spells are all complicated and not really fake latin like the other spells.
In the RAI version Chimera is SHI-merah? Wow, thats a pretty big change, but I like KIMmerah alot better and I think of KIM-erah first when I see the spelling.

--------------------

Zhanneel
post Aug 12 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #34

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

Hmm, now I'm thinking maybe the Rai version did change the spells to be just simple English, at least for the students...I'll have to watch some more episodes all the way through. It's probably just the teachers who use the non-English spells. I need to find an episode with Griffin in it. If they don't change her spells than maybe it's just the teachers who have the complicated spells.

As for Chimera, I've seen "Ch" said both ways, just depends on the language. In English I can see how (to keep things simple for younger audiences) "K" would be easier than "Sh". But they should have left it alone, it would actually teach the younger kids about different languages and pronunciations. Not everything has to have kid gloves when it airs on North American (and some European) tv stations. Oh well.
AnnieBelle
post Aug 12 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #35

Cosmix Fairy

Group: Honor Members

I've heard Chimera pronounced both ways, but in the way of when "chimera" is mentioned in mythology, I've been taught to pronounce it as "Kim-era", but some people say "shi-mara", so I really think it could go both ways.

...Really, I don't know if it's fake Latin as much as cliche spell-y language. 'Cause in a couple of my cousins' storybooks, they add "-us" or "-is" or "-um" to the end of the English words so the kids know it's a spell or something magic-related but they still know how it's pronounced. So, 4kids is just using cliches. But a lot of TV shows do that, use cliches, I mean.

--------------------
Hirondelle
post Aug 12 2008, 9:25 PM
Post #36

Harmonix Fairy

Yeah, that's true. I just wish that 4kids left their spells alone along with other things, I mean, I can't even watch the 4kids version anymore, it's pretty embarrassing. When someone asks me what it is I introduce it as a show that was butchered up by 4kids. A lot of people understand never to judge a show by it's 4kids dub...It just feels like they took a pretty respectable show and made it extremely childish. I'm aware of the target group/age audience but I think they did pretty good originally to where the age group kinda spans out further.

--------------------

Faedust Charms
Zhanneel
post Aug 13 2008, 5:13 AM
Post #37

Cosmix Fairy
Group Icon

I'm not happy with their changes either (of course =P), and I truly wish 4kids and other similar production companies would treat the English audiences will more respect and give credit to the kids who watch the show. I get the impression they feel that kids (in the US for sure) are simpletons, and the fact is, the more they protect the kids from nuances and differences from other cultures, the more alienated the kids are from understanding anything outside of their own country or culture. If they would subject kids to the shows as they are first shown then, those kids would learn and come to terms with the fact that not everything is specially marketed for their own country. They'd adapt and learn. That's all there is to it. Since most kids in this country are used to seeing only certain kinds of shows with certain characteristics, then of course that's all they are going to be interested in. It's our fault, at least in the US.
RenaEnchantix
post Aug 13 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #38

Harmonix Fairy

QUOTE (Zhanneel @ Aug 13 2008, 12:13 AM) *
I'm not happy with their changes either (of course =P), and I truly wish 4kids and other similar production companies would treat the English audiences will more respect and give credit to the kids who watch the show.

I think it's rather obvious that 4Kids doesn't actually care about kids, or really anything american that doesn't involve them. Alfred Kahn has been castigated for a statement made in a press conference. he said that manga is a failing market because american children don't/can't read...when if he looked at the facts Manga is an ever growing market that's becoming more and more popular. I think he also said that children can't understand that there are other cultures in the world, which is why his company changes so much about their shows. I think Naruto and Dragonball are proof that children can indeed embrace other cultures. I know Dragonball doesn't take place on earth, but it's still japanese culture (I believe, I don't honestly know since I never liked the show. I will go see the live action film though, out of curiosity). and Naruto has a lot to do with Japanese culture (again, not 100% sure, but come on) and that show was doing really well for a while.

That's what I really hate about 4Kids, they're ignorant and controling. back when they had a vote to show which new tv series would have a sneak peak they altered votes so that a show about racing showed when actually Mew Mew Power got the most votes, and then when Mew Mew Power became their most popular show they cancelled it, brought it back, then tried to get the rest of the series. I was happy when they tried to get the rest of the series because FINALLY japan got wise of what was happening and WOULDN'T LET THEM HAVE IT!!! then they liscensed Pretty Cure, and then lost the liscense. Now Rainbow S.r.L. isn't letting them have the Winx Movie, or at least I believe that's what's happening. I remember somebody on this site contacted 4Kids and got a reply saying they were trying to get the movie, but weren't allowed to have it yet.

sorry, I really dislike 4Kids. my rant is over. if there's anyone from 4Kids here, sorry if I offended you, it's just how I feel.
Zentron
post Aug 13 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #39

Butterflix Fairy

QUOTE (Zhanneel @ Aug 13 2008, 06:13 AM) *
I'm not happy with their changes either (of course =P), and I truly wish 4kids and other similar production companies would treat the English audiences will more respect and give credit to the kids who watch the show. I get the impression they feel that kids (in the US for sure) are simpletons, and the fact is, the more they protect the kids from nuances and differences from other cultures, the more alienated the kids are from understanding anything outside of their own country or culture. If they would subject kids to the shows as they are first shown then, those kids would learn and come to terms with the fact that not everything is specially marketed for their own country. They'd adapt and learn. That's all there is to it. Since most kids in this country are used to seeing only certain kinds of shows with certain characteristics, then of course that's all they are going to be interested in. It's our fault, at least in the US.
Unfortunately, you've hit the nail on the head, they don't care! They've removed all the morals teachings in the series and replaced them with nothing more than "I GOT SPELLED!!" or some similar lame excuse, rather than show the characters dealing with their personal dilemma's/emotions/etc, they just pawn them off... which is wrong in my books, and counter-productive!

A lot of what they've done is just pointless, no reasons what-so-ever, and others just silly! Even if 4Kids have bought in at least two voice actors who have more experience in acting or sound OK for the characters they portray, I still can never bring myself to ever say that 4Kids have done anywhere a decent job on their adaption of the show for their eyes! Or even on the pointless notion of that I saw the 4Kids version first, does not sway me in my choice of the Rai over 4Kids!

--------------------

humbu111
post Aug 13 2008, 5:20 PM
Post #40

Cosmix Fairy

Oh yeah, I just remembered about how Sky has the same voice as Yugi, Stella has the same voice as Tea (pronounced TAY-a =P) in 4kids.

--------------------

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Add Reply
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 7:28 PM